Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    All these failed high draft picks and people still get upset when Bill trades the high picks away for multiple ones in later rounds
    Posted by patsfaninpa420

You hit that nail on the head! There is always a lot of whining when they trade away a 1st or 2nd, especially when someone they like is still there. The draft is a gamble. But you cannot discount how well he's used picks to trade for guys. Welker and Moss in 07 were picked up with traded picks. There is no sure way to get a starter with every pick. Even if you pick in the top 10 where there's a higher percentage of "keepers". We're also probably comparing these new guys to players like Law, Milloy, and Harrison. I do think they have lost something in the scouting since Pioli left. But it's not got to "Matt Millen" status just yet, as some here would like us to believe! There are still six days left to the game...who knows who might be snatched up?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!! : You hit that nail on the head! There is always a lot of whining when they trade away a 1st or 2nd, especially when someone they like is still there. The draft is a gamble. But you cannot discount how well he's used picks to trade for guys. Welker and Moss in 07 were picked up with traded picks. There is no sure way to get a starter with every pick. Even if you pick in the top 10 where there's a higher percentage of "keepers". We're also probably comparing these new guys to players like Law, Milloy, and Harrison. I do think they have lost something in the scouting since Pioli left. But it's not got to "Matt Millen" status just yet, as some here would like us to believe! There are still six days left to the game...who knows who might be snatched up?
    Posted by bubthegrub2

I posted on a another thread, but this sums it up.
    Since 2006, if you look at our picks in rounds 1, 2 and 3, we have tallied 10 busts, all cut, and 7 contributors/starters. To me, that is atrocious drafting..period.
    of course, i didn't count Welker who is still with the team.
    2010 and 2011 on paper look a whole lot better...and this is without Pioli. I think Pioli was a bit overrated, and BB not the best GM or scout.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!! : I posted on a another thread, but this sums it up. Since 2006, if you look at our picks in rounds 1, 2 and 3, we have tallied 10 busts, all cut, and 7 contributors/starters. To me, that is atrocious drafting..period. of course, i didn't count Welker who is still with the team. 2010 and 2011 on paper look a whole lot better...and this is without Pioli. I think Pioli was a bit overrated, and BB not the best GM or scout.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Since 2006, of all the players drafted in rounds 1, 2 and 3 by all teams, how many are contributors/starters?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

yes the pats have missed on alot of draft picks in recent years ( i hate to admit it) but, the pats have the best coach in the league who can make any team a playoff contender no matter whos on the roster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I seem to recall BB going to UConn pro day and spending a lot of time with Butler.  This bust was his pick all the way.
    Posted by BSII

Could be. Whoever or whatever is causing the problem, it must get straightened out, pronto!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

when was the last time we had a losin record.... whn was the last time we WEREN'T serious contenders??    thats what i thought...
    draft picks are chips in a big poker game.... and just one means to an end.... i dont know if some of you questioners were around in the lean times

i guess when we win the superbowl.... you will realize how stupid that you really look now... just think only boston fans would ever question one of the best football minds that ever lived....in his prime

rip em to pieces rusty...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

To state that the last 5 years have been total busts is way off base. Below are the players from those drafts who are either still with the club or have just been released. Note: Scott Pioli was still with the club until after the 2008 season, so dumping on Belichick for 2007 and 2008 is not telling the whole story. From the past 3 drafts, they currently have 20 players who are on the active roster, the PUP list or the Practice Squad, plus two more who were just released. I doubt you will find that number on many other rosters. Remember, because of the consistency and winning they have had for the past decade, the Pats rarely draft high, they are normally picking lower in each round than most other teams. You do not often find an Andre Johnson or a Larry Fitzgerald picking between 25 and 30 every year. And no one is better than Bill at finding those veterans who can fill a role and will be motivated for the time they are here.

2007 - Brandon Merriwether was the only pick in the first 3 rounds, but they got Welker and Moss from picks in this draft. Picks in rounds 4-7 did not pan out.

2008 - Jerod Mayo, Matthew Slater. Wheatley and Wilhite never did much, Crable got injured early and often, never had a chance to show what he could do. Picks in later rounds did not pan out.

2009 - Pat Chung, Ron Brace, Sebastian Vollmer, Rich Ohrenberger, Myron Pryor, Julian Edelmann. Butler and Tate both just released.

2010 - Devin McCourty, Ron Gronkowski, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes,
    Aaron Hernandez, Zoltan Mesko, Brandon Deadrick.

2011 - Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling, Shane Vereen, Stevan Ridley, Ryan Mallett,  Marcus Cannon = PUP, Markell Carter = PS.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I seem to recall BB going to UConn pro day and spending a lot of time with Butler.  This bust was his pick all the way.
    Posted by BSII

OK, then lets cut BB!!! And then all out problems are solved........not. All the guys who get drafted are physically talented, but it's whats between the ears and the heart of the player that makes the difference in the nfl and sometimes you just can't see that until they are out there in your teams program. You win some you lose some.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!! :      Say what you want about Babe, but he's right. The Pats drafting record over the past 5 years has been abysmal. Someone must be held accountable for all these wasted high draft picks, over the past 5 years. This is the main reason why the Patriots have not won a playoff game since 2008.      That said...BB is not the main perpetrator in this disaster. The main culprits appear to be the guys in the scouting department. Heads should roll...and roll now. If BB doesn't take action, then he is complicit with the scouts that have made all these bogus personnel recommendations.        Something needs to be done immediately to fix this problem.    
    Posted by TexasPat3

i  agree  that  for  the  most  part, with  the  exception  of  last  year, the  PATS'  drafts  the  past  five  years  have  been  abysmal.  Somebody  needs  to  be  accountable.  FA  probably  has  saved  this  team.  It's  hard  to  imagine  how  good  this  team  would  be  if  we  had  had  several  productive  drafts.  Also, I  totally  agree  with  your  posts  regarding  the  OL.  I'll  be  glad  when  Koppen  and  Light  are  gone.  And  Connolly  is  an  adequate  backup.  Hopefully  with  Cannon  and  Solder  developing  and  with  next  year's  draft  we  can  have  a  solid, consistent  OL.     

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

cool...now we have Arrington trying to defend wr's.....Hes the next ine to go....below average cover....too small and although he tries...he just tries my patience.....release him and bring in will allen....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!! : This isn't nearly as awesome as the cutting of Fairyweather.  The best cuts so far the past few years have been. 1.  Maroney 2.  Fairy 3.  Watson Without those 3 clowns, this team is destined for glory.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Ben Thump Watson....Good one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!! : i  agree  that  for  the  most  part, with  the  exception  of  last  year, the  PATS'  drafts  the  past  five  years  have  been  abysmal.  Somebody  needs  to  be  accountable.  FA  probably  has  saved  this  team.  It's  hard  to  imagine  how  good  this  team  would  be  if  we  had  had  several  productive  drafts.  Also, I  totally  agree  with  your  posts  regarding  the  OL.  I'll  be  glad  when  Koppen  and  Light  are  gone.  And  Connolly  is  an  adequate  backup.  Hopefully  with  Cannon  and  Solder  developing  and  with  next  year's  draft  we  can  have  a  solid, consistent  OL.     
    Posted by zeitgeist49

Again I say, show me a team that is not a perenial bottom dweller that has done better over the last five years. You CAN'T. I'll bet you will see that the talent levels coming into the drafts are not consistant. And I remember hear that a few of those drafts had the weakest talent in decades.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!! : Ben Thump Watson....Good one.
    Posted by tcal2-

I love his patented "stab my alligator arms at the ball and cause an interception" move.  It gave opposing defenses and fans fits. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

I don't care about Master Hoodie's drafting flubs as long as they can manage to win a few playoff games this year and cull the team of it's non-hackers and athletic frauds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!! : Since 2006, of all the players drafted in rounds 1, 2 and 3 by all teams, how many are contributors/starters?
    Posted by themightypatriotz

It's a good question I don't have the answer to. I know its all about winning, and we have had more than our share over the past decade, so I'm not complaining about that.
    I like others, are just trying to point out that since making 18 1-3rd round draft picks since 2006, only 8 remain on the team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well that doesn't mean anything unless you know how the rest of the NFL draft class from that period did, so you can't go saying things like BB isn't a good GM or talent evaluator.  

But anyway I don't care how our high round picks or low round picks of FAs or whatever do as long as BB keeps finding good team players from whatever source he can and getting rid of bozos like Baloney and Fairy.  And don't go talking about the playoffs (the playoffs?), it's not like some superstar 1st round pick would have made up for Brady's knee injury or a bunch of a--holes on the team in 2009 or whatever the f--- happened last year against a team we already proved we could dominate with the existing roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

when was the last time we had a losin record.... whn was the last time we WEREN'T serious contenders??    thats what i thought... draft picks are chips in a big poker game.... and just one means to an end.... i dont know if some of you questioners were around in the lean times i guess when we win the superbowl.... you will realize how stupid that you really look now... just think only boston fans would ever question one of the best football minds that ever lived....in his prime rip em to pieces rusty...
    Posted by jcour382

I was around in the lean years and appreciate our winning ways over the past decade, even if it has resulted in 0 post season wins since 2007.
    As good as BB is, and as much respect and gratitude I have for him, it's still hard to ignore that we made 18 choices in rounds 1, 2 and 3 since 2006, and only 8 are still around. That means 10 didn't work out for whatever reason, and these 10 were supposedly the nucleus of our rebuiding effort.
    It's hard to say rebuilding when 10 key picks are busts and only 8 pan out. Not saying we can't rebuild, but with that success rate, rebuilding just takes longer and is harder.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

I like how your calling the pats last 5 years of drafting abysmall

Lets look at the players we have that would be 1st round picks if another draft was held tomorrow

1.)Mayo(rookie defensive player of the year)
    2.)McCourty(rookie dpoty runner up)
    3.)Gronk(leading TE scorer as a rookie)
    4.)Hernadez(Right behind gronk, despite missing the later games due to injury)
    5.)Mallet(potential heir apparent, Also allows us to trade hoyer, a backup who id say is an upgrade for around half the NFL, an undrafted FA in '09)

We lost a pick after the 07 season correct? so lets see

09, 10, 11

3 years 5 guys with 1st round talent

That doesnt even take into account the potential of the 2 RB we have, as well as the new kid at CB Ras-i.

Lets look at the unknowns for a second
    Solder and Cannon Are two green to know how they will pan out but lets say they are both servicable. Add those two to Volmer who we got 3 years ago means we have 3 solid, young members of the offensive line to take over for Light/mankins/conolly.

Overall im more then happy with the players we have now, and going forward, and anyone else that thinks having 5 first round quality players in the last 3 years with the potential for 1-2 more already on the roster, as well as 2 1st round picks next year, is out of thier mind crazy, and to top it all off the pats are the favorite to win it all.

BB is building the team to Stay on top for the next decade. You want to talk about terrible drafting talk about Denver, or oakland, or miami, or buffulo, or the yankees(i mean jets) how about the 49's, Seatle i could go on. 

People need to calm down about missing some picks from 5 years ago.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think it's for Molden. So, your CBs are Arrington, Dowling and Molden behind McCourty and Bodden. They must like what Molden can do.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing
    I think that BB has had enough of the midget DB's not being able to defend the TE's and taller receivers. Both RasI and Molden are tall DB's and both are fast each having run in the 4.3's in the forty. Butler was raked over the coals everytime he started. Arrington isn't any better than Darius was but he plays special teams and is a little less expensive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

He just didn't get it...I don't think it was athletic ability that hampered him, just didnt' seem to know his assignments. Where does that put us for 53 man squad?
    Posted by mcboyd22

assignments yes, bu the guy couldnt defend a pass either. called this last year. shoulda happened last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

You know with every move this D backfield looks worse and worse. We are thin at safety and CB now.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

i dont know if our backfield could have been worse than it was. we may be short. worse i dont think so.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!! : I don't know if that's the case.  He usually carries only 5 CBs and 4 Safeties. 9 total. I don't know why he'd need 6 CBs, bro. When they acquired MOlden and used him on Thursday night, that had Butler's days numbered. They used Molden at Safety and CB too, I believe, so they must like his skill set over the limited Butler. Butler is officially a bust.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

"Butler is officially a bust. "
    always has been always will be.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler Released!!!!!!!!!!!! :      Say what you want about Babe, but he's right. The Pats drafting record over the past 5 years has been abysmal. Someone must be held accountable for all these wasted high draft picks, over the past 5 years. This is the main reason why the Patriots have not won a playoff game since 2008.      That said...BB is not the main perpetrator in this disaster. The main culprits appear to be the guys in the scouting department. Heads should roll...and roll now. If BB doesn't take action, then he is complicit with the scouts that have made all these bogus personnel recommendations.        Something needs to be done immediately to fix this problem.    
    Posted by TexasPat3

totally agree.
    and however any coach or gm that is involved in decision-making has to see the film shown to them on a player.
    if we draft a certain position poorly, maybe get an exceptional  coach of that position on the evaluation.

looks like theyve righted the db picks for the most part with devin and ras i (if ras can stay on the field).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Thank you God!!!  The Two worst DB's in the history of the NFL are gone.  Thank you Mr. BB for finally agreeing with my hit list.  It took a few years but all the shlubs are finally gone. 1) Hobbs 2) Maroney 3) Wilhite 4) Mary 5) Butler
    Posted by tcal2-

thank you and agree!

Sections
Shortcuts