Darius Butler should be the starting cornerback / not Whilhite

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

Darius Butler should be the starting cornerback / not Whilhite

Darius Butler is a rookie..... ye.....but he is a head and shoulders talent above Whilhite!! He shows so much more quickness to the ball .....After watching thefirst 3 games you can see that Whilhite is a Ellis Hobbs clone ......Like Hobbs, his quickness and insticts reacting  to the ball are far too slow to be playing that far off a receiver
    Thus completions on top of completions to his side !!! I was hoping that problem was in Philadelphia and Iseen the last of it but its a continuing saga with Whilhite !!! In that last quarter when Butler came in you could see a noticable difference in the play on that side of the defense.....Start  Butler.... you once  said you will always feild the best 22 ball players......Butler ispart of that number in the cornerback position

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Re: Darius Butler should be the starting cornerback / not Whilhite

Whilhite $ucks.  I've been saying it all year and I'm sticking to it.  By the end of the game I noticed Butler had replaced him.  Maybe BB is catching on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Starters are Bodden and Springs....

I think Wheatley is #3 followed by Butler....

Agree that Wilhite has been disappointing...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler should be the starting cornerback / not Whilhite:
    [QUOTE]Starters are Bodden and Springs.... I think Wheatley is #3 followed by Butler.... Agree that Wilhite has been disappointing...
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE]

what games are you watching? wheatley has been inactive in every game except the one wilhite missed for that weird cumberland farms thing. and wihite has been the starter since game one, not springs. and he's played pretty well, too. why are certain people on here so down on him? he's been very solid. if you want to rag on a player in our secondary, james sanders is your man. he just isnt good. anyone here remember terry ray?? seriously though, mcgowan has totally outplayed him and it wont be long before chung makes him irrelevant. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

im 50/50 when it comes to my opinion of james sanders. He's seems solid but never makes any big plays and u dont hear his name all that often. I kno it's a little premature but id love to see chung get some plays in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler should be the starting cornerback / not Whilhite:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darius Butler should be the starting cornerback / not Whilhite : what games are you watching? wheatley has been inactive in every game except the one wilhite missed for that weird cumberland farms thing. and wihite has been the starter since game one, not springs. and he's played pretty well, too. why are certain people on here so down on him? he's been very solid. if you want to rag on a player in our secondary, james sanders is your man. he just isnt good. anyone here remember terry ray?? seriously though, mcgowan has totally outplayed him and it wont be long before chung makes him irrelevant. 
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

I have told Smokingjoe that if he's going to write blogs on here to stop smoking before he does! We appologize ladies and gentlemen for his silly behaviour. Joe go to your room!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think many others on this board predicted Butler would eventually be a starter.  He sure looked like he's making a move on the position today.  If he keeps this up, it will happen soon enough.  I really liked how he painted himself on the receivers at times without drawing a penalty.

So when Hobbs was traded he made statements that indicated he might have thought he was an elite CB.  I wonder how he feels now?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

[QUOTE]im 50/50 when it comes to my opinion of james sanders. He's seems solid but never makes any big plays and u dont hear his name all that often. I kno it's a little premature but id love to see chung get some plays in.
    Posted by HOTBLITZ[/QUOTE]

he wiffed on the 50 yard run yesterday. had a clean shot. does that qualify as a big play?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

We'll see how being in the game during crunch time vs. Baltimore translates to his PT against Denver.  You'd have to think he'll see more of the field and early.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefedsox. Show thefedsox's posts

Agreed on Wilhite not being able to cover this week, and generally feels like a soft corner i.e Ellis Hobbs. But in fairness, he was injured last week and it might have still been bothering him this week. He just seemed a little slower than usual , so maybe that's why.

On the other hand, Butler looks like he has the speed and agility to play well. I too would like to see him get more playing time as a depth corner. Interestingly, I think the leaderhsip on this team is coming from the secondary. Just look at the hitting clinic being put on by the Meriweather/McGowan duo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Whilhite = Randall Gay

A decent player but not particularly great at anything, an effort guy.  Butler has been a stud since day one and would start if Bodden and Springs werent already entrenched.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xyxy225. Show xyxy225's posts

Your starting cornerbacks need to be able to tackle people. Anyone who thinks Butler should start hasn't seen him try to tackle. What is he? 178 pounds? When offenses are in a pass situation, he probably should be on the field based on the Raven game but otherwise he is much more suited to nickle back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What is a starter on this team? Every week the defense looks different, and different players get varying amount of snaps. You don't have to be Mike Reiss to realize that Merriweather was on the field for 70 of 70 plays, McGowen for 65 of 70 plays, Bodden for 60 of 70 plays, Springs 58 of 70 plays, Wilhite 43 of 70 plays, Sanders 39 of 70 plays, Butler 15 of 70 plays.
    This counts defensive snaps, not special teams play.
    Next week will be of course different and so will the week after that.
    This defense needs healthy 6-7 DB's availablke every week, meaning they need 8-9 DB's available because of injury. Springs and Merriweather when healthy allow great flexability, and every week which DB's get the most snaps will vary. Having Wheatley and CHung as numbers 8 and 9 speaks to the great depth Pats have at this position. By the time the season plays out, everyone will see time, including playing on special teams

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

rkarp good points, the word starter on the patriots only exists for certain positons and weeks, the Patriots have packages not just defensive formations. Also  in previous years our secondary depth has been depleted by the halfway point where we found the Randall Gays of the world. 

If i remember correctly the pats won three superbowls with ty Law, a shutdown corner, wilson was a free saftey rookie, assante was a rookie who started out on the sub packages and moved into the starting lineup, hobbs came on as a rookie too,  Milloy the hard hitter,  who only plyed in one superbowl then harrison, another hard hitter in the secondary. During the run the Defense also had a solid nickle and dime DB to come off the bench. It looks like BB has created a similar group with Merriweather, Sanders (I personally think he stinks), Springs the vetran, Bodden is looking like the shutdown corner, Wilite, Wheatley, Butler and Chung are all looking like they will contribute to this team in some way.

Right now I have Merriweather as MVP and McGowan in second

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Cream will rise to the top brother.  Wilhite has been pretty good too. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Darius Butler should be the starting cornerback / not Whilhite:
    [QUOTE]Darius Butler is a rookie..... ye.....but he is a head and shoulders talent above Whilhite!! He shows so much more quickness to the ball .....After watching thefirst 3 games you can see that Whilhite is a Ellis Hobbs clone ......Like Hobbs, his quickness and insticts reacting  to the ball are far too slow to be playing that far off a receiver Thus completions on top of completions to his side !!! I was hoping that problem was in Philadelphia and Iseen the last of it but its a continuing saga with Whilhite !!! In that last quarter when Butler came in you could see a noticable difference in the play on that side of the defense.....Start  Butler.... you once  said you will always feild the best 22 ball players......Butler ispart of that number in the cornerback position
    Posted by flip781[/QUOTE]

I believe that Butler will be the starter for years to come (barring injury).  But puhleeez....he's a mere infant in the ways of the NFL.  They are allowing him to get his feet wet by absorbing some of the packages first.  Springs, et al, are all holding down the fort until he's ready.  Even Ty Law was eased into his role. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Your starting cornerbacks need to be able to tackle people. Anyone who thinks Butler should start hasn't seen him try to tackle. What is he? 178 pounds? When offenses are in a pass situation, he probably should be on the field based on the Raven game but otherwise he is much more suited to nickle back.
    Posted by xyxy225[/QUOTE]

You're saying that Butler doesn't have the ability to tackle?

Jonathan Wilhite is listed at 5-11 185

Darius Bulter is listed at 5-10 183

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Darius Butler should be the starting cornerback / not Whilhite:
    [QUOTE]Darius Butler is a rookie..... ye.....but he is a head and shoulders talent above Whilhite!! He shows so much more quickness to the ball .....After watching thefirst 3 games you can see that Whilhite is a Ellis Hobbs clone ......Like Hobbs, his quickness and insticts reacting  to the ball are far too slow to be playing that far off a receiver Thus completions on top of completions to his side !!! I was hoping that problem was in Philadelphia and Iseen the last of it but its a continuing saga with Whilhite !!! In that last quarter when Butler came in you could see a noticable difference in the play on that side of the defense.....Start  Butler.... you once  said you will always feild the best 22 ball players......Butler ispart of that number in the cornerback position
    Posted by flip781[/QUOTE]
    What I've noticed over the past few years in regards to rookie DBs is that they dont usually start until the season is half done. The coach wants to make sure they know responsibilties. so i look for Butler about week 8. This will end up being the best pick of this years draft when all is said & done down the road.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Wilhite was the guy who tried to "bump" Jerico Cotchery out of bounds instead of tackling him. The play resulted in the Jets best offensive play of the game and led them to the deciding td. It was a TERRIBLE play. I don't think tackling is his strong suit.

Did anybody notice Shawn Springs had like 8 solo tackles against the Ravens? He can still hit hard and wrap up at his age. Good in run support as well.