Darius Butler vs Ellis Hobbs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Re: Darius Butler vs Ellis Hobbs

Both BB draft picks. For a defensive genius(which he undoubtedly is) he has missed a lot at the draft in the last 5 years. Is he in a slump?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portcallen99. Show portcallen99's posts

BB not in a slump. It's just that he's not a genius.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Butler stinks.... Period!  He's no better than a nickle/dime player - which is what he would of been if Bodden didn't get hurt!

It's gonna be a long year for Butler!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Butler > Hobbs

The kid had one bad game.

Verse the Bengals, he gave up one pass, and that was it. Aside from the deep bomb, he had great coverage, and often Carson had to make a perfect throw.

Cut the guy some slack - once this is a recurring thing we can get on him, but not after one game.

Everyone and every team has a down game - even the Pats did during their super-bowl years. Better it happen early in the season when we can correct the problems.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

In Response to Re: Darius Butler vs Ellis Hobbs:
    [QUOTE]Butler /> Hobbs The kid had one bad game. Verse the Bengals, he gave up one pass, and that was it. Aside from the deep bomb, he had great coverage, and often Carson had to make a perfect throw. Cut the guy some slack - once this is a recurring thing we can get on him, but not after one game. Everyone and every team has a down game - even the Pats did during their super-bowl years. Better it happen early in the season when we can correct the problems.
    Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

For the life of me I can't understand why Butler gets defended in this forum so much.  So much was made about his freakish athleticism and how he was a steal getting him in the 2nd round last year.  He stinks - plain and simple!

He's always a day late and a dollar short and his technique is terrible. 

Lets call it like it is.. I watched him get continuously torched yesterday, last week, through the preseason, and he was very underwhelming all last year. 

The only positive here is that he is going to get a lot of playing time this year which will HOPEFULLY help him become a better nickleback next year! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATRIOTWULF. Show PATRIOTWULF's posts

I was blogging on FB yesterday about how much of a dawg Butler is and how he looks like E. Hobbs - LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

In Response to Darius Butler vs Ellis Hobbs:
    [QUOTE]Is Butler better or worse than Ellis Hobbs. Every catch/touchdown/PI penalty he gives up reminds me of the pathetic Ellis Hobbs and the years we suffered with him. Atleast Hobbs could punt/kick return well. What can Butler do?
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

It's only going to get worse for Butler and the Pats. The Jets exposed Butler and now every team will follow suit

Dish Network

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from j24m1. Show j24m1's posts

He reminds me of Hobbs, I actually was not as down on Hobbs as the rest of you, I just felt he was a much better nickel corner and when he got moved to #1/2 he just couldnt quite make up for his size.. Plus he was way to cocky which I don't think people appreciated.

Butler is just like him, undersized but stays with his man, on the other hand he cant seem to make the play on the ball.  He was primarily on ochocinco in the first game and the guy had 150 yards, yesterday Edwards made him look like a jv player. I like Butler, I think if they can jell he can be a good corner, but right now his technique when the ball is in the air is not good and he is getting owned. 

McCourty is our best corner, he is going to be a good player for years. 

Not sure what they will do, if the defense cant play with more intensitiy in the second half and the offense continues to go away from the run (negative runs on every first down almost in the second half).. Its going to be another long season on the road.. 

I think the D is faster and better than last year.. but still, need to be tougher for 4 quarters. I say give Butler some slack but in the same respect the microscope is on him. He has gotten picked on bad. Give him credit for not being to much of an Ego and walking away from Edwards twice after being taunted..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Hobbs was better, which isn't an insult to Butler.  Hobbs was a very good corner who got injured returning kicks.  Butler can still turn it around though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Butler learned a lot yesterday, I hope. That is the matriculation process and growing pains...there will be ups and downs...the two penalties on him, he could of done that in college and got away with it, but not in the NFL...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

the kid didnt just have "one bad game", carson palmer started specifically targeting him in that second half opening week and thats why he got picked on again this week. the film dont lie. now after braylon edwards abused him he is really gonna get attacked. he is more suited as a nickel back, he is gonna get smoked all year long playing outside against the top wideouts.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

maybe at best he develops into an average nfl corner...best case scenario...i dont buy all that ups and downs, he's young, blah blah blah...there arent really any ups with him so far, only mediocrity. if he needs all this time to develop then he probably aint ever gonna be all that good, most top corners at least flash potential early on and you can see the talent even if they make mistakes. butler doesent show flashes of anything, he needs a few years just to develop into an adequate starter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Darius Butler vs Ellis Hobbs

That ain't fair to Butler, Hobbs is freakin' horrible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

wow not every young player develops right away.  He would have been perfect in the slot this year, but he got thrown into too big of a role and now he is getting the worst of it.

give him some time

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

You look at how Chung has progressed from year one to year two.  His reaction time is quicker and he is playing on natural instinct.  Butler has not shown any improvement from year one to year two. 

It's very disapointing especially since the Pats were in prime position in the 2009 draft to get a solid CB  such as Vontae Davis but decided to trade down and they took Butler. 

This is going to be along year watching him get picked on! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

[QUOTE]wow not every young player develops right away.  He would have been perfect in the slot this year, but he got thrown into too big of a role and now he is getting the worst of it. give him some time
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]
    This. He wasn't that bad last year and started this season with a couple bad games. Give him time before claiming he's a bust. Corners typically take some time to develop and McCourty is proving he should have been a top pick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Lol 2 games into the year. Do you think the coaching staff saw this guy as being a really top flight corner for no reason? He had a stellar training camp and 1 bad week. 

Lets see how he does against weaker talent. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

If Edwards getting in your face after scoring a TD on you doesn't get your competitive juices going and cause you to play your best ball, then it's time to do find a new career.  Butler wasn't competing at all yesterday, he was getting treated like a red headed step child.  Not sure he can make it back from a beating like that.  Either you got it or you don't, I don't think he does.

I think this covers my thoughts on Butler's play yesterday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

[QUOTE]Lol 2 games into the year. Do you think the coaching staff saw this guy as being a really top flight corner for no reason? He had a stellar training camp and 1 bad week.  Lets see how he does against weaker talent. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

Hobbs is better..and that ain't saying much! Butler will be a bust. Thay need to get him out of there and quick! put Chung in that spot. He was a corner wasn't he?? By the way, what is BB's obsession with drafting all these SHORT corners. You see how small he looked againgst Edwards? How bout a corner that's at least 6 foot for a change!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Lol 2 games into the year. Do you think the coaching staff saw this guy as being a really top flight corner for no reason? He had a stellar training camp and 1 bad week.  Lets see how he does against weaker talent. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

I am not going to praise or bash butler here but please tell me you did NOT just use the phrase "had a steller training camp" as an argument to support that someone is good.

That is simply a poor poor argument to make.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]Darius Butler vs Ellis Hobbs That ain't fair to Butler, Hobbs is freakin' horrible.
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Hobbs was always playing hurt, such as during the SB. He gave up the last TD playing with a torn labrum.  He did not have a bad game, but he had that bad play and somebody missed the assignment to give him help there.  He was  an awesome kick returner.

I am not yet down on Butler.  If you look at the way the refs were letting the Jets man-handle Moss on every play without calling P/I, then you look at the two P/I plays on Butler, I can't see a difference.  BB tells his players to adjust their play to how the game is being called.  They probably told him he could make more contact. The refs were not calling a lot of P/I by the Jets, but they called it against Butler and only Butler.  Watch the game again and see if you do not agree.

But hey, we all knew that BB had to toss a prep-cook into the line chef's position when the line chef had to call in sick. Pretty harsh to dump on that prep-cook under the circumstances.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I'm really surprised how Edwards could catch with out any hands. He stinks. He didn't do a lot against the Ravens. 1 rec for 9 yards and then 5 rec for 45

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

this question is UNFAIR!...to us that is. you are asking which one is worse.

hobbs: can't stay within two yards of his receiver. i get pissed everytime i see an ad on tv with this receiver catching the ball in the end zone by the right side with the cb watching in amazement as the receiver catches spectacular catch. push the receiver out of bounds!!! i think that was hobbs watching. i mcan;t even stay long enough to wath that ad to know who it was.

butler: so far he's done a good job of staying really close to his receiver. he just can't finish! he's only had one bad game so i am not giving up on him yet.

what's common here is they both exhibit lack of determination and presence of mind to make something happen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darius Butler vs Ellis Hobbs : Hobbs is better..and that ain't saying much! Butler will be a bust. Thay need to get him out of there and quick! put Chung in that spot. He was a corner wasn't he?? By the way, what is BB's obsession with drafting all these SHORT corners. You see how small he looked againgst Edwards? How bout a corner that's at least 6 foot for a change!
    Posted by smorgan86[/QUOTE]

jesus man your really reaching now, chung would get abused playing corner, take ty law for example, he was burnt early and often his first 2years in the league, and turned out to be one of the best corners to put on a pats uniform if not the best. success breeds impatience, give him some time, giving up on a player is retarded after 2weeks. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mainevent1836. Show mainevent1836's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darius Butler vs Ellis Hobbs : jesus man your really reaching now, chung would get abused playing corner, take ty law for example, he was burnt early and often his first 2years in the league, and turned out to be one of the best corners to put on a pats uniform if not the best. success breeds impatience, give him some time, giving up on a player is retarded after 2weeks. 
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]

Awesome point surf, many of the best corners in the league started out as subpar and needed the time to grow and mature into their rolls, Darrelle Revis comes to mind as one. In his first two years, he was above average at least and made that leap to be considered elite last year. So cut Butler some slack, its not like he's getting burned and totally beat, he's there just need to adjust and knock balls down

Sections
Shortcuts