Darrius Butler - bust

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Darrius Butler - bust

I'll give him 6 games this year to evaluate progress and then I'll make my call. Let's see if he made any strides this year.

By the way, the draft is a crapshoot. Nobody really knows anything. It just makes for great banter to act like we all know how to evaluate players in college...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from USMCM1A1. Show USMCM1A1's posts

Yea--BB doesn't think he's a bust, or he'd have cut him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

I don't know if I'd label him a bust.  Disappointment?  Maybe up to this point in his career. 2nd round picks don't carry the same expectation that a 1st rounder does.  That's why if you can get a solid starter beyond the 1st round its considered a great value pick.  I'd say guys like DeWayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston would more accurately fit the "bust" label.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Darrius Butler - bust:
    Yea--BB doesn't think he's a bust, or he'd have cut him.
    Posted by USMCM1A1

If you said this last year, I would agree. This year? No, I disagree. Last year, Bodden went down so you would rather take a second-year player who showed some potential into the season. We did that with Butler and he was abused in the Cincy game and the Jets game. When he got benched, I think his attitude changed too which is probably the most alarming thing about him right now.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

darius assler

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Give me a break. 41st overall is pretty high.  If he can't contribute he's a bust. Yes, bust.

Next thing you'll tell me that Chad Jackson wasn't a bust either since he was 36th overall and not a first round pick and I shouldn't have expected much from him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

darius BUSTler

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think most teams value 2nd round picks pretty highly, especially high ones. This guy had all world type of talent, he has size, can run and he's athletic (then again most NFL corners are). I'll give him another month or two into the season. I'm a bit surprised he's turned out the way he has so far to be honest. I liked the pick at the time, because he was the first corner we drafted in a while that wasn't a midget.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Only first round players are expected to be good players so he's obviously not a bust.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michael02127. Show Michael02127's posts

I don't agree on alot of the comments here.  I think a bust is performance vs expectation from the rd the player was picked. 

A 2nd rd pick should be contending for a starting role in his third year or at least be a quaility back up.  I admit it doesn't look like darius will be either this year but I'm not ready to label hit yet.  I think it's def a make it or break it year for him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

To this point, Butler has been disappointing.  I agree that if BB cuts him then he's a 'bust.'  Until such time as that happens, I'll withhold the label.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

If it is down to Wilhite vs. Butler I think Wilhite stays because he played with competence last year when healthy. Unfortuantely Butler needs more time to develop which he probably no longer has. Maybe another team would take a chance on him, if not, he may clear waivers and land on the practice squad which would be perfect. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Remember he was almost traded last year to the Saints in the Pierre Thomas deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Busts don't sniff the playing field, Butler has actually played a few snaps... underachieving for sure, but Jackson was an actual bust.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

This is his make or break year. I think he will get it together and have a solid year in the nickel and dime packages. Which would leave us, wondering is he really good or just facing lesser competition?

still a Darius Butler fan here.

and u guys laugh at him, but Wilhite had a great year last year in the nickel until he got injured. And I think our pass defense did suffer a little when Wilhite went down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

Have you seen any patriot in the last 10 years play as poorly as he did last year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Have you seen any patriot in the last 10 years play as poorly as he did last year?
    Posted by patthepatriot666

Wow, that's a loaded question...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Hell, I'm a fan, I want everybody to succeed but based on last years' performances if one has to go, it's Butler, not Wilhite.  Sorry...  Butler can stick with the reciever, there's no issue there but he just can't make the pay and that was costly last year on several occasions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Posted by patthepatriot666

Please, the how bad he played last year thing is way overstated. He played 2 games at the start of the year and was out of position at outside CB ( based on my projection thats he is more suited for slot and was expected to be there and practiced there up untill the Bodden injury ). He played bad against some hard to cover guys, I think he went against TO and Edwards but Holmes and Ocho are not easy either. Butler's biggest weakness is his strength and these guys can push him around. We had no pass rush and we forced Butler to stay with them forever out there. Not to be expected.

Now Arrington is a diff guy, stronger, maybe not as fast to change direction. BB went to him over Butler on the outside. A good move I think. Can Arrington be better than Butler and have one not be a bust, YES, maybe Arrington will be that good and if we have injury he moves outside. Then a few years from now he is a starter somewhere and makes a Pro Bowl, will we look back and say "wow I can not beleive a 2nd round pick couldn't beat out this Arrington guy, what a loser and a huge bust, BB's worst draft pick ever"

I love your enthusiasm but please back up your statements if they are going to be so bold as say he is the worst in 10 years lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

We went into the year with McCourty and Butler as starting CB's, the Jets and Cinci were gunning for us, they smelled blood and went for it. Now MC is the real deal and we all saw that, kid is better than Butler and no shame in that one. This must have been apparent real early, who then would you pick on, Butler of course and he was exposed.

Now that is a tuff thing to throw at a kid and we say his confidence was shaken lol, this is a media creation, of course he was down and upset at being benched after getting torched. Who wouldn't be. Also there is no huge shame in being benched, Butler was not the clear starter for this team, it wasn't like Light getting pushed out for some Jag off the street. He was an injury replacement and these guys always move in and out of the lineup untill the coach finds the best fit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Regardless, he is fighting for a spot as the Dime back.

Its Bodden, McCourty, Arrington then Butler.

Butler struggled mightily against tall physical receivers last year( Braylon Edwards anyone?)

As a Dime back, if he wins that job that is, he would be responsible for the opposing teams #4 WR. Not a teams #2 or #1 like at the beggining of last year, but the opposing teams Slot or #4 WR. I think he can cover a #4 WR fine.

If he can't beat out Whilhite, then yes, he is a bust.

If Ras-I Sowling progresses, he might be the nickle/dime back next year and then Butler will totally be screwed but for this year, he still has a chance to contribute as the Dime DB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I'll give him 6 games this year to evaluate progress and then I'll make my call. Let's see if he made any strides this year. By the way, the draft is a crapshoot. Nobody really knows anything. It just makes for great banter to act like we all know how to evaluate players in college...
    Posted by apdynasty23

was gonna say the same thing

training camp is huge for him

REMEMBER: Asomugha was awful his first few years, but Al Davis (of all people) apparently personally tutored and supported him

Sections
Shortcuts