Dawkin's spearing of Welker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker

In Response to Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker:
    In Response to Dawkin's spearing of Welker : It would have been news if he had been. Here's how to get a clearer picture - does anyone have the game saved on TiVo?  Pause the game at that point and take a picture.  I believe they showed it from two angles on replay while commenting on what a vicious hit it was (but staying politically correct by not calling it out as dirty).
    Posted by NickC1188

I just looked at it. 

Welker gets the ball inside the 20 and turns upfield. The only player in front of him is Dawkins who is at the 10 while Jack Williams is closing in from Welker's left. 
    Williams gets to him at about the 13 just as Welker starts to go down to protect himself. Dawkins has squared up at the 10 to make the tackle. 
    As Welker is curling down to protect himself at the 10 1/2, Williams has him from behind and Dawkins makes contact. As he is getting ready for contact, he is stationary at the 10 yard line and he puts his shoulder and head down and leads a bit more with his right shoulder. If he had kept his head up, he probably would have cracked his own neck. Welker's knee is not down when Dawkins makes contact and Welker is still moving forward. Dawkins does not leave his feet.

Some could argue that it was cheap and that Dawkins was spearing, it looks more that he was making a legitimate tackle and was protecting his own neck.

I am not sure if the NFL reviewed it, but I wouldn't call for a fine. I guess it depends on if you consider Dawkins a cheap shot artist or a tough hitter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker : I think you are wrong about Manning.  I think he is looking back at the crowd who are likely yelling at him.  Go back and look again and you will see the ref (white hat) at the very left of the screen (in front of manning)walking out of screen while Manning is looking the other way and the flag is already on the ground - :58 -1:00 of the video. I don't care about people asking for a call.  Everybody does it - offense and defense.  Brady's just got so much exposure because a) it was brady; b) its the "brady" rule; c) He called for the flag (no big deal); d) the ref who had yet to pull the flag started shaking his head in agreement then pulled and threw it.  At the end of the day, the call was right, but it was a perfect opportunity for those that disagree because there was the ref shaking his head then throwing the flag.
    Posted by underdogg

As noted, i have no problem with Brady or Manning asking for a call. Would you believe I was watching the Pats/Broncos game and Brady throws the ball away while he is out of the pocket and close to being hit and the defensive end was making a hand motion calling for a flag!!! Oh, my goodness.

I do disagree with the interpretation of the Brady play. You can see he starts to make the flag motion while the ref has already started to pull the flag. The ref nods as he is pulling and Brady responds with a fist pump. So, the ref had already made the decision.

The rest is pretty spot on. A lot of people don't like Brady for reasons I can't fathom (probably in the same way that you can't imagine people not liking Manning) and with the way the call looks and the Ravens whining, it became the perfect storm for those people to make it an issue.

<chuckle> Manning is looking at the crowd because they are yelling at him. Good one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATFANFRMINDIA. Show PATFANFRMINDIA's posts

The Steelers and Indy won their Superbowls only when they did not have to go through PATS... ends all arguments, Brady and the PATS are the best

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from foxboro1. Show foxboro1's posts

PATFAN
    YOUR A KNUCKLEHEAD KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU TALK

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Great thread!  I was truly amazed at the announcers ABSOLUTE dismissal of anything this blattant!  There wasn't a single syllable uttered..

Forget the zebras as I'm now convinced more than ever that  they simply pick and choose when to call anything....Hell, they could call "holding" on every single play but to miss anything this flagrant is  ahem....disturbing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker : Like the one that sent your beloved colts to manning's only SB win? Oh wait, that was the colts "getting away with something", wasn't it?  Remember, that little incorrect PI call that handed the colts a 4th quarter TD and a win in the AFC championship game a few years ago? That lead to their only SB win? The one that the league apologized to ellis hobbs for blowing, in writing, after the season?  is that what you mean when you say the Pats "have a lot to give back"? Tell me, what do the colts have to "give back"? Besides their only SB win, that is?
    Posted by unclealfie

Underoo is correct about this hit on Manning. No question, the guy is giong for the knee.

As for the having-to-answer-for-stuff nonses, Underoo is back to his old self.  I think the officials/Polian?Goodell have something to answr for in the way they have combined to job the Pats out of one SB appearance in '06 and a potential one in '07, plus a myriad of bad calls throughout the past 4-1/2 seasons.

Meanwhile, I can't think of another team more gifted by errant flags or no-calls, and I don't know a non-Colts football fan that thinks otherwise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

In Response to Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker : Underoo is correct about this hit on Manning. No question, the guy is giong for the knee. As for the having-to-answer-for-stuff nonses, Underoo is back to his old self.  I think the officials/Polian?Goodell have something to answr for in the way they have combined to job the Pats out of one SB appearance in '06 and a potential one in '07, plus a myriad of bad calls throughout the past 4-1/2 seasons. Meanwhile, I can't think of another team more gifted by errant flags or no-calls, and I don't know a non-Colts football fan that thinks otherwise.
    Posted by chrisakawoody

How about the last 2 Steelers super bowls. The only ones who think that the Steelers won those fair and square are Steeler fans. Everyone else knows how the Seahawks and Cardinals got raped.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I meant a "potential one in '05".

And sorry for the atrocious typing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker :  How about the last 2 Steelers super bowls. The only ones who think that the Steelers won those fair and square are Steeler fans. Everyone else knows how the Seahawks and Cardinals got raped.
    Posted by djbosox2004

100%, absolutely, positively true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Totally agree about the Steelers "win" against the Seahawks.......I am absolutely a Patriot fan but try hard to be objective about fouls called each way.......I have never seen a more one sided game from the refs then that Superbowl........you really have to laugh at the various pundits and all Steeler fans who idolize Ben Roethlisberger based on his 2 Super Bowl wins........have you ever scene a more atrocious performance at the quarterback position then that game?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seadoggy. Show seadoggy's posts

Please note, Brady did not even play in 2008.  Never again question from this perspective who the NFL has a love affair with.

Uhh excuse me Mr Underdouchebag

Let me inform you of something that took place sometime after the 04 season. After the Pats beat the Colts...AGAIN....Peytie pooh, Bill Polian and Tony Dungy
    went to the rules committee ( which Dungy serves on) and asked the referees to be more stringent on the 5 yd chuck rule. They cited Ty Laws manhandling of Marvin Harrison. Law kept kicking his tail and the Colts and Peytie pooh  complained. Now because of that we have receivers getting away with murder while a DB gets called for breathing on him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seadoggy. Show seadoggy's posts

Totally agree about the Steelers "win" against the Seahawks.......I am absolutely a Patriot fan but try hard to be objective about fouls called each way.......I have never seen a more one sided game from the refs then that Superbowl........you really have to laugh at the various pundits and all Steeler fans who idolize Ben Roethlisberger based on his 2 Super Bowl wins........have you ever scene a more atrocious performance at the quarterback position then that game?
    Posted by qball369

Qball, When they won the 1st Super Bowl with Roethlisberger at QB he registered a rating of 12. The lowest for a winning super bowl QB of all time. He was atrocious in that game. He got saved by some shoddy officiating and Hines Ward

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

<chuckle /> Manning is looking at the crowd because they are yelling at him. Good one.
    Posted by EnochRoot

I am serious.  I don't know what else it is because the ref is in front of Manning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Root - Do I need to rehash this with these newbies here?  If I do, I am just going to open up wounds for all that are unnecessary. 

Help me here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Underdogg, you need to go back to the Indy blog to sell your snake oil. Peyton Manning/Tony Dungy, all that is right with the NFL is your sales pitch. Bill Belicheck/Tom Brady are the heathens that deserve scorn, again from your point of view.

No one has a problem with you being a biased Colts fan, they just have a problem with you advertising it on a Patriots blog.

When you are ready to be objective, please let's hear what you have to say

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wwsf4ever. Show wwsf4ever's posts

sometimes I am a little like troll-lite.  As for Kyle VDB, well Tom Brady will get his taste this weekend and pats fans should be worried.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEG3EFsoRxc&feature=related 1)  Watch from 57 seconds to about 1:30.  You will see that Vanden Bosch was in fact NOT blocked into Manning.  He tried to bull rush Ugoh, got nothing so he spun.  He spun so hard (on purpose) that it appears he lost his footing causing him to dive (which he did) right into Manning's knee.  Under the new rules there is no question about this call. 2)  Now watch again from 2:00 to about 2:40 (2 or 3 plays later).  This is clean, but its close and it shows that Vanden Bosch will go low.  Finally and specifically qball - are you really questioning this with Tom Brady being popular titleholder to this revised/enhanced rule?  Talk about temerity. To reinforce my surprise at your snarky question, here is a little more for you: http://footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2009/nfl-protecting-big-name-quarterbacks Please note, Brady did not even play in 2008.  Never again question from this perspective who the NFL has a love affair with. 
    Posted by underdogg

I heard they are considering a PEYTON rule...... 

15 yrds for either making the signal of throwing a penalty flag or pouting as you walk off the field.

IRSAY is in an uproar that they want to make the rule, because his team will be giving up safeties regularly as the walk backwards time after time when peyton pouts because he doesn't like a call.

UNDEROOS....  they were going to call it the pouting peyton penalty..... when it gets called the REF will put his hands up to his cheeks with his fingers in a fist, and wipe his eyes as if he is wiping tears.......  WATCH FOR IT TO BE CALLED......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker : I am serious.  I don't know what else it is because the ref is in front of Manning.
    Posted by underdogg

Naw, the ref is behind Manning to his right where he is supposed to be when the play starts.

Look at your link at about 1:28. He is in the white cap at the first T in Titans in the end zone.  That is the second angle they show. In the first angle, at about 1:25, Manning is rolling to look for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Root - Do I need to rehash this with these newbies here?  If I do, I am just going to open up wounds for all that are unnecessary.  Help me here.
    Posted by underdogg

With which part?

Hey man, some things you've brought on yourself. I'll try to be fair though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In Response to Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker : I think you are wrong about Manning.  I think he is looking back at the crowd who are likely yelling at him.  Go back and look again and you will see the ref (white hat) at the very left of the screen (in front of manning)walking out of screen while Manning is looking the other way and the flag is already on the ground - :58 -1:00 of the video. I don't care about people asking for a call.  Everybody does it - offense and defense.  Brady's just got so much exposure because a) it was brady; b) its the "brady" rule; c) He called for the flag (no big deal); d) the ref who had yet to pull the flag started shaking his head in agreement then pulled and threw it.  At the end of the day, the call was right, but it was a perfect opportunity for those that disagree because there was the ref shaking his head then throwing the flag.
    Posted by underdogg

On Mike Pereira's segment on ESPN he showed the play a couple of times in slow-mo.  You could clearly see the ref reaching for the flag as Brady turned around.  He was throwing the flag without input from Brady.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slapointe1232. Show slapointe1232's posts

Don't you find it sad that you have thousands of posts on your team's rival's boards... I mean, seriously. Maybe it's time you get a life.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Don't you find it sad that you have thousands of posts on your team's rival's boards... I mean, seriously. Maybe it's time you get a life.
    Posted by slapointe1232

This place is his life.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Underdogg, you need to go back to the Indy blog to sell your snake oil. Peyton Manning/Tony Dungy, all that is right with the NFL is your sales pitch. Bill Belicheck/Tom Brady are the heathens that deserve scorn, again from your point of view. No one has a problem with you being a biased Colts fan, they just have a problem with you advertising it on a Patriots blog. When you are ready to be objective, please let's hear what you have to say
    Posted by qball369

I love Tom Brady.  Don't like Belichick, but Brady is great.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker : Naw, the ref is behind Manning to his right where he is supposed to be when the play starts. Look at your link at about 1:28. He is in the white cap at the first T in Titans in the end zone.  That is the second angle they show. In the first angle, at about 1:25, Manning is rolling to look for him.
    Posted by EnochRoot

Yes, at the beginning of the play he is behind manning where he is supposed to be, but after the play is over and when the camera cuts from the clark catch back to Manning, at that instance in the video, the ref (white hat) is to the left (in front) of Manning and Manning is looking back at the crowd. Watch the original play from snap to the ref calling the foul :49 to 1:05.  the spot at which the ref is in front of manning while manning is looking at the crowd is :59.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Dawkin's spearing of Welker : Yes, at the beginning of the play he is behind manning where he is supposed to be, but after the play is over and when the camera cuts from the clark catch back to Manning, at that instance in the video, the ref (white hat) is to the left (in front) of Manning and Manning is looking back at the crowd. Watch the original play from snap to the ref calling the foul :49 to 1:05.  the spot at which the ref is in front of manning while manning is looking at the crowd is :59.
    Posted by underdogg

Oh, we are talking about two different times when Manning looks back. 

I am talking about when he is first hit by VDB. He is still on his back and starts to look behind him into where the ref should be. The first replay cuts it off, but he is just starting to look. You are talking about after the flag has been thrown and Manning is kind of walking through the end zone.

Sections
Shortcuts