Day1, strong safety and kudos to me

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Day1, strong safety and kudos to me

After this first day of draft picks I'm going to take the time to pat myself on the back.  I've been saying since the last few seasons ended with Rodney Harrison injured that the PAT's biggest need position was to acquire a legit strong safety to cover tight ends.

The prevailing argument in this forum was that BB thought the position was no longer necessary in today's NFL due to some comments he made regarding the resigning of James Sanders and the pick of Meriweather.  Even when they resigned Tank Williams and I pointed it out to the naysayers, they said he wouldn't even play and I was accused of self congratulating... well I'm doing it again so bite me.

We got shredded two seasons ago by Dallas Clark in the playoffs when Rodney broke his forearm, it happened again with David Boss in the Super Bowl after Rodney blew out his knee; it won't happen anymore.  There were two legit strong safeties in this draft, Moore from Missouri and Chung from Oregon, I think we got the better of the two.

Not only that but I said that outside linebacker wasn't as big a need as everyone thought just because Kiper and these other draft "experts" said so.  Pierre Woods is going to have a breakout season, a big reason Vrabel was let go is because we couldn't leave this guy sitting on the bench on game day any longer.  Yes Crable looks good as well but Woods will start and be a beast.  BB can find plenty of tweener college ends who can convert to 3/4 outside linebackers later in this draft, but we already have the pass rush sitting on our bench.

The Butler pick wasn't surprising considering BB went to the pro day at Uconn, the Brace pick says more about the state of negotiations with Vince Wilfork and the possibility of resigning Seymour than it does about need; a D tackle is a premium position so BB made a solid football move here.  The O Line is bigger and better with Vollmer. While Light and Kaczur will probably start the season at tackle, the future is O’Callaghan and this kid, they are both mountain sized men with long wing spans.  God knows I can't stand seeing speed rushers blow by Light and the others anymore, Brady only has one good knee left...

Props to ZBellino for solid pre-draft predictions and agreeing that Strong Safety would be an area of need for the PAT's...  I don't know why pass rushers garner so much attention leading up to the draft when the majority of them are busts and guys like Jason Taylor can be found in the later rounds.  This will go down as one of BB's stronger draft classes and our D will look profoundly different this season; I'm fired up, let's start the season next week!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Day1, strong safety and kudos to me

Either BB is thinking the same way about guys like Crable and Woods, or all those LBs (and DEs) must have shown him that they were not legit prospects for this system. I had a feeling they were going to get out of the first round, the talent from about 20 to 45 or so was basically the same. I've heard reports that Chung struggles in coverage (which wasn't Rodney's strong suit, anyway), but is a great hitter. I've seen some youtube clips of him and he does lay the wood! I have to assume this means Rodney will hang 'em up. I like the depth at DT with both Seymour and Wilfork up for contracts. And Darius Butler looks like an interesting prospect. He also played WR, plus he put up good numbers as a return guy. Again, BB surprised most of us and went his own way. I'm dying to find out how Crable does after a year to learn the playbook. As for Jason Taylor, I think it's a coin toss between NE or back to Miami. At this point in his career, he'll do well to remember BB and Parcells have 2 SB rings together. But BB has three more the Tuna doesn't! I hope you're right about Woods. This should be the season he shows his stuff if he's going to do so. I agree that guys like Clark going over the middle has been their Achille's heel. With Merriweather and Chung prowling out there maybe they'll make it a bit more intimidating for teams to do this. I've seen quite a few posters expressing disappointment over last night's picks. But I expect BB knows a thousand times more than we do, like always!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Since we're bumping stuff. This is like looking at a picture of ourselves from the 70.  Sorry wozzy but this is funny.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

this is the bizarro world of Woozy calling me negative...I dont think I have seen anyone so wrong on personel than this top thread, even Rusty does a better job

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Yes Kudos to YOU for realizing this league is still about defense and last I looked there are still plenty of SS's around the league. I mean Benard Pollard is no special player but he hits hard and Wes found that out the hard way. He avoided him in Houston and it cost him an ACL. He couldnt avoid him in Bmore and it cost us a trip to the SB!  smh

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Not to pile on here but it just goes to show that you can't really tell about guys that you draft until you see them perform at the NFL level.

Some guys have all the physical gifts but have a poor work effort.

Some guys have the physical skills but have nothing upstairs.

Some guys can't stay healthy.

Some guys peaked in college and have no upside.

And some guys are overrated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I just realized this thread was saying Chung would be a better pro than William Moore. The guy I wanted us to sign this offseason after we Cut Chung....lol  , but to be fair, I liked the Chung pick at the time and was fine with his progression up until BB decided to let him call his own fake punt in 10' postseason vs the Yets. Poor kid never recovered from that. Now he can be seen being body slammed by Julian Edleman in preseason games..... Wow

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Haha. I have to crack up at that draft. 

I had Chung, Brace, AND Butler on my board! Haha. While it proves I have a good idea what NE is looking for positionally ... it was really a waterloo of a draft. 

Still, I think Chung has basically been the middle of my expectations. I saw him as a guy who *at least* wouldn't be out of the NFL. He's a start somewhere.

The problem is with Butler and Brace I thought they could stick around as depth as their floor. 

Still the beat goes on with NE trying to staff their SS spot ... this time with Adrian Wilson. Let's hope someone finally sticks. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I guess Butler and Brace are at least depth now anyway. Butler as an exgtra corner in Indy. We'll see how Brace works out. 

Still so many high  hopes. It's funny, because that was a tremendous safety draft, as I thought it would be. NE (and I) just picked the wrong cat. Delmas, Moore, and Byrd are all guys who've been to pro-bowls. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I had Chung, Brace, AND Butler on my board! Haha. While it proves I have a good idea what NE is looking for positionally ... it was really a waterloo of a draft. 

Still, I think Chung has basically been the middle of my expectations. I saw him as a guy who *at least* wouldn't be out of the NFL. He's a start somewhere.

The problem is with Butler and Brace I thought they could stick around as depth as their floor. 

Still the beat goes on with NE trying to staff their SS spot ... this time with Adrian Wilson. Let's hope someone finally sticks. 

Hey Z, do you think the loss of RAC and then Mangini could have had a negative effect on the development of defensive players over the course of the rebuild? Or does it all fall back on a players talent level and the GM should pick the guys who will do well no matter what kind of experience the coaching staff has?

Maybe coaching matters in regards to "hitting" on drafted players.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The draft is a crapshoot and coaching matters...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I liked Delmas coming out and didnt find Moore until I notices him playing in ATL, but yea it makes you think . Same with Meriweather and his class of 1st rounders with Michael Griffin and the other safety who played with AH in Florida Reggie Nelson. I would say M.G. did the best so far and I tried to like the Meriweather pic as the best because he played both Cb and S in college but he is still in the league, but barely. Griffin was the best safety in that draft in hindsight coming out of texas. What happend to marcus, his brother?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hey Z, do you think the loss of RAC and then Mangini could have had a negative effect on the development of defensive players over the course of the rebuild? Or does it all fall back on a players talent level and the GM should pick the guys who will do well no matter what kind of experience the coaching staff has?

[/QUOTE]

This is kind of a false dilemma. Why does it have to be one or the other? Both are huge parts of building a team. One is scouting players and deciding which roster spots to scout, the other is developing those players. 

I'm not really sure what you mean "guys who will do well no matter ... the experience." Maybe clarify that. You pick as talented and as smart a player as you possibly can no matter what. If you don't think your coaches can do the job of developing them and you let that inflect how you scout/draft, you have MAJOR organizational issues. 

1.) Yes it could. 

2.) I've said time and again 99% of coaching has nothing to do with the game, but how you a.) develop, b.) coach, and c.) motivate/focus your players.

In terms of palyers "making it" or "not" it is crucial, and by far is the most important aspect in what makes a good coach. Read the coaching books by Belichik, and others. Not many people actually spend time discussing strategies ... they spend most of their time discussing how to get players to execute.  

GM's jobs are to fill a roster. Scouts jobs are to locate talent in college that could help do that. The deficiencies of the roster are communicated between the head coach, coaching staff, and the GM himself along with Pro-Personell, (who have an idea about the contractual plans up ahead).

3.) Scouts go get the best guys they can. Whether you are collecting talented players or getting guys to fit what you are doing is a whole different argument. BPA (the myth of myths) doesn't exist. A roster and its needs do, and basic philosphies do as well.  

I'm not sure how to guage the loss of Mangini or Crennel. When I look to critique an organization for failing to draft good players, I'd criticize the scouts. When I look to criticize development I'd look at positional coaches. 

There are schisms in both. 

Magini, as you allude to, was the DBs coach until the one season where he was the full blown coordinator. NE did a much better job incorporating DBs then. Since then merry go round of Joel Collier from 2006-2007. Dom Capers in 2008. Finally, Josh Boyer from 2009-2011 (he is now the CBs coach after a "demotion" or re-delegation (depending on how you look at it) where Brian Flores became the Safeties Coach. 

In terms of player development, I think you would be hard pressed (as much at it hurts to say it) to state that any of these positional coaches have done as well as Mangini. From 2000-2004 he was the DBs coach, and New England had this knack for plugging anyone in and getting good results. 

It's a little more cloudy in the Thomas Dimitrioff/Jon Robinson split. On the one hand, I think Dimitrioff had a better handle on defensive talent. This includes all of the defense. A lot is made of Seymour/Warren being high selections that the new staff hasn't had, but Dimitrioff would dig out real, good players that made New England so good, Asante Samuel (4th), Mike Wright (UDFA), solid role players like Eugene Wilson, and value depth guys like Randall Gay. 

NE just seems to miss and miss in those spots now. The middle has been eaten out of the pie, so to speak. 

But, I am a much bigger fan of how Robinson has scouted offensive players than Dimitrioff. New England couldn't wish a decent TE, and if the young WRs now stick with the team, it will be a huge improvement over Dimitrioff who can claim a couple of decent picks like Graham, but really a legacy of stunning offensive busts like Maroney and Chad Jackson, to dissapointments like Watson.

I think the real thing missing ws the draw down and retirement of Larry Cook, who is still with the team as a "consultant" but was hitting home runs early on. Jarvis Green in the 4th? Thank you very much. Deion Branch and David Givens in the same draft? Every day and twice on Sunday, man.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Man we've all made mistakes, but Piere Woods? Ouch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

The biggest mistake of all is believing that a man, be it a poster or a head coach, could be so infallible that he can look at another man and see his future.  

I'll stack my draft record over the past ten years against any other poster on this board... oh yeah, the only people who think they're perfect at projecting talent are the ones who only complain three or four years later in hindsight.  

I actually have the stones to lay my picks out there for all to see...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

The biggest mistake of all is believing that a man, be it a poster or a head coach, could be so infallible that he can look at another man and see his future.  

[/QUOTE]

I can see in the future you still defending BB's crappy draft picks wozzy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I can imagine my defending Bill Belichick's decision to pick Tom Brady in the 6th round back in 2000 and a bunch of negative Nancies calling it a wasted pick, only after disappearing on draft day to avoid having to actually give an alternate player in that spot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

I can imagine my defending Bill Belichick's decision to pick Tom Brady in the 6th round back in 2000 and a bunch of negative Nancies calling it a wasted pick, only after disappearing on draft day to avoid having to actually give an alternate player in that spot.

[/QUOTE]

If not for Dick Rehbein pestering BB, he would have not taken Brady.

I neither give credit nor blame to picks after the 3rd round. At that juncture it is really all about luck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll stack my draft record over the past ten years against any other poster on this board... oh yeah, the only people who think they're perfect at projecting talent are the ones who only complain three or four years later in hindsight.  

[/QUOTE]

It's a crap shoot...been saying it for years. I actually liked the Chung pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I neither give credit nor blame to picks after the 3rd round. At that juncture it is really all about luck.

I forgot you were in the war room with the braintrust, that's why you are unavailable every year around the draft to divulge your picks...

I'm not picking on you alone Babe, this is a common theme here, go back over the last three years of threads that occur around the draft and the same posters who seem to know everything about drafting are nowhere to be found.

But you claming to have some inside knowledge is akin to Rusty having the inside scoop on the Tom Brady soap opera war that is raging behind the scenes...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

forget the draft for a moment..."Woods is a beast"...."Crable looks good"..."the future is O'Callaghan"...

Wow, send me some of that stuff you were drinking that day.

I dont get too hung up on who the Pats are drafting, as opposed to what they are drafting...I kind of thought Love and Deadrick were short timers due to $$$ issues, so I was looking for a DT in this draft. Therefore, I am not unhappy with Collins(he looks great), but I prefered a DT.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

I forgot you were in the war room with the braintrust, that's why you are unavailable every year around the draft to divulge your picks...

I'm not picking on you alone Babe, this is a common theme here, go back over the last three years of threads that occur around the draft and the same posters who seem to know everything about drafting are nowhere to be found.

But you claming to have some inside knowledge is akin to Rusty having the inside scoop on the Tom Brady soap opera war that is raging behind the scenes...

[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter if someone makes good picks or not themselves to simply critique the results of BB's choices.

I told you I would be here for the draft this last time but I got caught up in NY state for work and got back late. I did state that I would have moved up and taken Xavier Rhodes though. (Me and zbellino have a beer bet on him.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is kind of a false dilemma. Why does it have to be one or the other? Both are huge parts of building a team. One is scouting players and deciding which roster spots to scout, the other is developing those players. 

I'm not really sure what you mean "guys who will do well no matter ... the experience." Maybe clarify that. You pick as talented and as smart a player as you possibly can no matter what. If you don't think your coaches can do the job of developing them and you let that inflect how you scout/draft, you have MAJOR organizational issues. 

I think once a team wins 3 super bowls in 4 years the coaching staff tends to get plucked for other teams. We can all agree this happened to us. So, I would say it is a fair opinion that the lack of players who "stick" on our roster has less to do with the one constant on this team(the GM) and more to do with the younger more inexperienced coaches trying to develop these players who don't make it.

I am sure Belichick had confidence in the guys he promoted but lets not pretend these guys could step in and replace men who have coached with BB for years and been in more dog fights, and won championships. There is a learning curve for these younger coaches and imo this has had more to do with failed draft picks then the GM who built a dynasty.

1.) Yes it could. 

2.) I've said time and again 99% of coaching has nothing to do with the game, but how you a.) develop, b.) coach, and c.) motivate/focus your players.

Agree, and is why I think the departure of many coaches has more to do with a slower development of young players.

In terms of palyers "making it" or "not" it is crucial, and by far is the most important aspect in what makes a good coach. Read the coaching books by Belichik, and others. Not many people actually spend time discussing strategies ... they spend most of their time discussing how to get players to execute.  

GM's jobs are to fill a roster. Scouts jobs are to locate talent in college that could help do that. The deficiencies of the roster are communicated between the head coach, coaching staff, and the GM himself along with Pro-Personell, (who have an idea about the contractual plans up ahead).

3.) Scouts go get the best guys they can. Whether you are collecting talented players or getting guys to fit what you are doing is a whole different argument. BPA (the myth of myths) doesn't exist. A roster and its needs do, and basic philosphies do as well.  

I'm not sure how to guage the loss of Mangini or Crennel. When I look to critique an organization for failing to draft good players, I'd criticize the scouts. When I look to criticize development I'd look at positional coaches. 

When most players BB selects are considered to be top prospects but don't make it on our championship caliber team, is it the GM's fault or the coaches fault for failing to develop these prospects? I understand there are a few reaches involved(Wilson and Harmon etc) but as Texas Pat alludes to in his OP of this thread, these other guys looked good and were in fact fine prospects at the time.

There are schisms in both. 

Magini, as you allude to, was the DBs coach until the one season where he was the full blown coordinator. NE did a much better job incorporating DBs then. Since then merry go round of Joel Collier from 2006-2007. Dom Capers in 2008. Finally, Josh Boyer from 2009-2011 (he is now the CBs coach after a "demotion" or re-delegation (depending on how you look at it) where Brian Flores became the Safeties Coach. 

In terms of player development, I think you would be hard pressed (as much at it hurts to say it) to state that any of these positional coaches have done as well as Mangini. From 2000-2004 he was the DBs coach, and New England had this knack for plugging anyone in and getting good results. 

With a guy like RAC who is the longest tenured coach in the NFL I am sure it was a bit easier to develop young coaches, which in turn would make it easier to develop young players(draft picks) Mangini learned from RAC and BB(he used to sleep on BB's couch) and after he was gone we lost guys with culture on the coaching staff. Guys who learned from guys who won titles.

It's a little more cloudy in the Thomas Dimitrioff/Jon Robinson split. On the one hand, I think Dimitrioff had a better handle on defensive talent. This includes all of the defense. A lot is made of Seymour/Warren being high selections that the new staff hasn't had, but Dimitrioff would dig out real, good players that made New England so good, Asante Samuel (4th), Mike Wright (UDFA), solid role players like Eugene Wilson, and value depth guys like Randall Gay. 

NE just seems to miss and miss in those spots now. The middle has been eaten out of the pie, so to speak. 

But, I am a much bigger fan of how Robinson has scouted offensive players than Dimitrioff. New England couldn't wish a decent TE, and if the young WRs now stick with the team, it will be a huge improvement over Dimitrioff who can claim a couple of decent picks like Graham, but really a legacy of stunning offensive busts like Maroney and Chad Jackson, to dissapointments like Watson.

I think the real thing missing ws the draw down and retirement of Larry Cook, who is still with the team as a "consultant" but was hitting home runs early on. Jarvis Green in the 4th? Thank you very much. Deion Branch and David Givens in the same draft? Every day and twice on Sunday, man.

I agree, and a few others. Even losing a strength and conditioning coach like Mike Woiceck( 6 super bowl rings between Pats and Cowboys) hurts. My agenda here is to get the BB is a bad GM crowd to realize there is so much more going into a young player doing well for a football team then whether or not he is a talent. They are all talented. They just don't all make it.

[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dude.  You so desparately need your ego stroked, even if its by yourself.  

Just get a mirror and do a Daily Affirmation like Stuart Smalley - "I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!"

File-Stuart_Smalley.jpg

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yes, I'm desperate for attention, that is why I write with complete anonymity.  

I've been wrong in the past, often admit it before you ask me to, find me the perfect person...  I suppose it's you?

You've held Bill Belichick to higher (unrealistic) expectations than you've held for yourself, that's why it frustrates you so.  Get a grip.

Sections
Shortcuts