DB Vincent Fuller

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

DB Vincent Fuller

I have been looking up his stats and I think while he isn't going to be all world I think he will help us out a lot if he is any where near 100%. This might be the best signing of this season if he is able to play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Re: DB Vincent Fuller

im sure theres a reason he wasnt signed up untill week 14..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

In Response to DB Vincent Fuller:
    I have been looking up his stats and I think while he isn't going to be all world I think he will help us out a lot if he is any where near 100%. This might be the best signing of this season if he is able to play.
    Posted by DaBlade

Your kidding right...the best signing of the season...get off the pipe pal. We havent seen this kid take a single snap for all we know he could get burned on every play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to DB Vincent Fuller:
    This might be the best signing of this season if he is able to play.
    Posted by DaBlade

That would be Brian Waters and Andre Carter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

*sigh*  someone just wake me up if/when we win our first playoff game.

I hope noone is buying Patriot jerseys this year.  Thats a bad move in N.E unless its Brady's.

Once you get to know a guys name he is gone , so I wont waste any time thinking about this newest rental...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: DB Vincent Fuller:
    im sure theres a reason he wasnt signed up untill week 14..
    Posted by JamezHill24

He wasn't signed until week 14 because he was IR'd with an elbow injury.  He was deemed fit to play and probably asked for a release from his IR status.
    It was granted and he became a free agent on 12/6.
    From what I understand he is a solid (unspectacular) player with good work ethic, a hard hitter and a stand up guy.
    He also is a BB type guy as he has CB, Safety and special teams experience.
    Looks like a solid pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NESportnut. Show NESportnut's posts

*sigh*  someone just wake me up if/when we win our first playoff game. I hope noone is buying Patriot jerseys this year.  Thats a bad move in N.E unless its Brady's. Once you get to know a guys name he is gone , so I wont waste any time thinking about this newest rental...
    Posted by JayShizzle45

i'll take your 87 jersey, Jay can't find one any where out here!!!!KMc.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

In Response to Re: DB Vincent Fuller : He wasn't signed until week 14 because he was IR'd with an elbow injury.  He was deemed fit to play and probably asked for a release from his IR status. It was granted and he became a free agent on 12/6. From what I understand he is a solid (unspectacular) player with good work ethic, a hard hitter and a stand up guy. He also is a BB type guy as he has CB, Safety and special teams experience. Looks like a solid pick.
    Posted by pezz4pats

ohhh okay.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Fuller was worked out by the Pats in early September. The same time they worked out Adams and released DButler. So, they must have liked what they saw and added him to the "please call when the secondary stinks" list.

He looks to be okay on paper. Can't be any worse or better than who we currently have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Bad part he has an injury.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

He sustained the injury in week one so hopefully he has healed.  Patspulpit.com had a pretty good scouting report on Fuller:

The Patriots once again added a new defensive back to their secondary. For those of you who wanted Phillip Adams to return, he's signed with the Seattle Seahawks. This new defensive back is Vincent Fuller and you might be surprised with his potential as a defensive back. Fuller was a 4th round pick out of Virginia Tech and spent six years with the Tennessee Titans and was the key nickelback (slot corner) for his final five. However, the Lions were committed to other cornerbacks (Cortland FinneganAlterraun VernerJason McCourty), so Fuller was expendable. Fuller even renegotiated his contract from over $2 million to $750K to be a competitive player for a roster spot, but was unable to beat the younger corners. As a result, Fuller was released as Jim Schwartz and the Detroit Lions were looking to take on former Titans players.

Fuller played one game with the Lions before being placed in injured reserve with an elbow injury. As Mike Reisshas mentioned, Patriots football adviser Floyd Reese was the Titans GM when the Titans drafted Fuller out of college.

I watched six of Fuller's games (three from 2009, three from 2010) and had the following notes:

General Facts

Played at Virginia Tech, played free safety as a freshman, cornerback as a sophomore and junior, and was back at free safety as a senior. Has versatility.

Special teams player.

Fuller ran the 40/3 cone/20 shuttle in 4.44s/6.53s/3.81s. Those times are blazing. Compare to top rookieRahim Moore with 4.58s/6.98s/3.96s or noted veteran LaRon Landy with 4.35s/7.11s/4.36s. Those three times mean that Fuller can fly down the field extremely quickly. He can also turn on a dime and change direction extremely quickly. Film study confirms.

Noted for his range and his zone skills during the draft. Questions about his angles.

Watched him defend Dallas ClarkAustin CollieDemaryius Thomas, Steve Smith (NYG), Miles Austin,Davone BessDanny Amendola, and Donnie Avery. That's a mix of receiving tight end (Clark), slot receivers (Collie, Smith, Bess, Amendola), speedsters (Thomas, Avery), and big possession receivers (Austin). He fared well in all contests.

Star-divide

Positives

Physical off the snap and can engage and bump slot receivers off of their route.

Has elite reaction time which allows him to prevent any separation by a sudden change in motion by the slot receiver.

Has great instincts and can blow up screens and plays in the backfield.

Took fairly good angles from what I saw on tape.

Tremendous feel for zone coverage and is able to deter quarterbacks from throwing in his direction.

Doesn't bite on fakes by either the quarterback or the receiver.

Able to stick with his receiver through traffic and will usually stay engaged.

Always in position so if he does allow the reception, there will be no YAC.

Doesn't fully commit to a coverage direction until the receiver is committed. Allows him to stay in the receiver's hip.

Versatility as a safety and a nickel corner, plays well in the box.

Willing run defender.

Special Teams player.

Negatives

Struggles to disengage from receiver and tight ends in run defense. If they get their hands on him, he tends to get blown backwards. He defends the run best when given space and is able to weave through traffic.

Needs to work on wrapping up running backs. Saw a few slip through because of poor form. Doesn't have bad form when tackling receivers.

Injury history. Fibula, Arm, Elbow, so could be injury prone but, more importantly, could be rusty as he's been released from IR.

Overall, Fuller looks like a great player. If he can figure out how to better defend the run (ie: become stronger), he can actually be a key player moving forward. Floyd Reese liked Fuller enough to draft him in Tennessee and to bring him to New England, which means that there's familiarity and continued interest. Fuller would become the best slot corner on the team and could potentially be the best free safety on the team, which is definitely added value. Hopefully he can knock off the rust and contribute quickly

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

He sustained the injury in week one so hopefully he has healed.  Patspulpit.com had a pretty good scouting report on Fuller: The  Patriots  once again added a new defensive back to their secondary. For those of you who wanted  Phillip Adams  to return, he's signed with the  Seattle Seahawks . This  new defensive back  is  Vincent Fuller  and you might be surprised with his potential as a defensive back. Fuller was a 4th round pick out of Virginia Tech and spent six years with the  Tennessee Titans  and was the key nickelback (slot corner) for his final five. However, the Lions were committed to other cornerbacks ( Cortland Finnegan ,  Alterraun Verner ,  Jason McCourty ), so Fuller was expendable. Fuller even renegotiated his contract from over $2 million to $750K to be a competitive player for a roster spot, but was unable to beat the younger corners. As a result, Fuller was released as Jim Schwartz and the  Detroit Lions  were looking to take on former Titans players. Fuller played one game with the Lions before being placed in injured reserve with an elbow injury.  As Mike Reiss has mentioned, Patriots football adviser Floyd Reese was the Titans GM when the Titans drafted Fuller out of college. I watched six of Fuller's games (three from 2009, three from 2010) and had the following notes: General Facts Played at Virginia Tech, played free safety as a freshman, cornerback as a sophomore and junior, and was back at free safety as a senior. Has versatility. Special teams player. Fuller ran the 40/3 cone/20 shuttle in 4.44s/6.53s/3.81s. Those times are blazing. Compare to top rookie Rahim Moore  with 4.58s/6.98s/3.96s or noted veteran LaRon Landy with 4.35s/7.11s/4.36s. Those three times mean that Fuller can fly down the field extremely quickly. He can also turn on a dime and change direction extremely quickly. Film study confirms. Noted for his range and his zone skills during the draft. Questions about his angles. Watched him defend  Dallas Clark ,  Austin Collie ,  Demaryius Thomas , Steve Smith (NYG),  Miles Austin , Davone Bess ,  Danny Amendola , and  Donnie Avery . That's a mix of receiving tight end (Clark), slot receivers (Collie, Smith, Bess, Amendola), speedsters (Thomas, Avery), and big possession receivers (Austin). He fared well in all contests.   Positives Physical off the snap and can engage and bump slot receivers off of their route. Has elite reaction time which allows him to prevent any separation by a sudden change in motion by the slot receiver. Has great instincts and can blow up screens and plays in the backfield. Took fairly good angles from what I saw on tape. Tremendous feel for zone coverage and is able to deter quarterbacks from throwing in his direction. Doesn't bite on fakes by either the quarterback or the receiver. Able to stick with his receiver through traffic and will usually stay engaged. Always in position so if he does allow the reception, there will be no YAC. Doesn't fully commit to a coverage direction until the receiver is committed. Allows him to stay in the receiver's hip. Versatility as a safety and a nickel corner, plays well in the box. Willing run defender. Special Teams player. Negatives Struggles to disengage from receiver and tight ends in run defense. If they get their hands on him, he tends to get blown backwards. He defends the run best when given space and is able to weave through traffic. Needs to work on wrapping up running backs. Saw a few slip through because of poor form. Doesn't have bad form when tackling receivers. Injury history. Fibula, Arm, Elbow, so could be injury prone but, more importantly, could be rusty as he's been released from IR. Overall, Fuller looks like a great player. If he can figure out how to better defend the run (ie: become stronger), he can actually be a key player moving forward. Floyd Reese liked Fuller enough to draft him in Tennessee and to bring him to New England, which means that there's familiarity and continued interest. Fuller would become the best slot corner on the team and could potentially be the best free safety on the team, which is definitely added value. Hopefully he can knock off the rust and contribute quickly
    Posted by ZachRudy

thanks for that zack

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Overall, Fuller looks like a great player. If he can figure out how to better defend the run (ie: become stronger), he can actually be a key player moving forward. Floyd Reese liked Fuller enough to draft him in Tennessee and to bring him to New England, which means that there's familiarity and continued interest. Fuller would become the best slot corner on the team and could potentially be the best free safety on the team, which is definitely added value. Hopefully he can knock off the rust and contribute quickly
    Posted by ZachRudy

Let's be realistic. "Great player"? He has been in the league for seven years do you think he is going to come to NE and finally "figure it out" and reach the full potential of a fourth round draft choice (I would argue at this point he has already had a pretty good career for a 4th round choice). He would only be the best slot corner on the team because we are currently playing WRs at that position. 

I believe he can contribute, but if you are looking for him to become the starting free safety at this point in his career (he could not hold onto his last job even and a reduced rate). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Thanks for the report, Zach.  Simply put, it looks like the guy can help the team.  If turns out to be the case, then it's a good signing.  Great addition?  Perhaps a bit much.  Good addition?  I think he will be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Re: DB Vincent Fuller : i'll take your 87 jersey, Jay can't find one any where out here!!!!KMc.
    Posted by NESportnut

Touche!  Gronk is probably the only jersey I would buy because if they dont sign him up in 2 years that will the dumbest thing ever. I'll let you know If I find one.

Dudes a Beast.  All-World, All-Pro, having a monster season.

I compared him to Bavarro last year, but he is way better than him ...If he stays healthy and can play with another good QB after Brady, may be best all time besides Gonzalez who is gonna play forever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Excellent thorough report but I think we should have some healthy skepticism. 7-8 Year vet with bad tackling on film plus recovering from bad (IR) elbow injury ... Call me negative but that is a bad combination. We certainly have seen enough of guys taking soft angles while avoiding contact... That ( red flag) said, if he can get to spots quicker than Ihedbo and that results in less big plays against... There's your upgrade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Apparently Fuller's arm is still injured.  He needs a while to learn the Foxboro terminology ("bubblah") in any case.  Once his arm heals and he knocks the rust off versus Buffalo, he should be able to go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In Response to Re: DB Vincent Fuller : i'll take your 87 jersey, Jay can't find one any where out here!!!!KMc.
    Posted by NESportnut

I tried to get a GRONK Tee shirt also.  It would of been my first player shirt being I'm a hat guy and they are nowhere to be had.  The Patriot wed site doesn't even have them.  Kraft should have every tee shirt factory in China making GRONK shirts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I just heard that he has already been cut!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/DB-Sterling-Moore-and-DE-Alex-Silvestro-Signed-to-53-Man-Roster-DB-Vincent-Fuller-Released/92d799ce-553a-47ef-a7aa-c49028fa177f

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Cut already

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

My head is spinning. Time to stand up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Cut    xxxxxx  very disappointing!  Forearm injury 1st day of practice.  Uggh, Congrats to Silvestro though.  Was looking more like Carter was gonna get the job but never can tell with BB.  Well at least Carter got paid.
    This team never ceases to amaze...60000 roster moves in December.  LOL

Why the heck cant you say U G G on here?  The other day it wouldn't let me post stats because of an abreviation...... Suck is OK though  ?????

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

My head is spinning. Time to stand up.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Best to stay seated in such a state. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I will never guess these midseason pickups right.  Eventually a Kyle Arrington or a Gaffney will show up.

For the Pats, nothing much lost.  Thanks for the tryout, here's your plane ticket, hope your forearm gets better.

Sections
Shortcuts