Dear members of the media: ask Hoody good questions about football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Dear members of the media: ask Hoody good questions about football

Must-read: http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/11/22/bill-belichick-on-peyton-manning-if-you-tell-them-what-youre-in-youre-probably-not-going-to-like-the-way-its-going-to-end-up/

Just makes me wish people asked intelligent questions without asking to divulge gameplans, personal agendas, and injury info.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Dear members of the media: ask Hoody good questions about football

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to apdynasty23's comment:

Must-read: http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/11/22/bill-belichick-on-peyton-manning-if-you-tell-them-what-youre-in-youre-probably-not-going-to-like-the-way-its-going-to-end-up/

Just makes me wish people asked intelligent questions without asking to divulge gameplans, personal agendas, and injury info.

Thanks for posting, dude.   The person who commented below the column said the same thing you did. Been saying it for years...If the media would just talk about football instead of trying to bait him or to get him to slip up, you'd get an engaged BB for the fans to see.

It's the media's fault.  The fans want what we just read, not some garbage statement that somehow gets the media giddy, thinking they have something juicy.

You're very welcome. I agree for the most part but not with what you said about fans wanting to read quality content. I think that's the exception and not the norm. There's a reason why there's tens of thousands of celebrity blogs that do nothing but recycle content (most make stuff up even). There's a reason why all people do on Facebook is share funny photos and 'like' articles with top ten lists (my favorite is "top 10 ways to become a millionaire" but by sharing that at 11am in the middle of your morning pretty much means you don't have the work ethic or discipline to make that much money). Same with ESPN, I can't blame them for writing about Romo, Tebow and LeBron on their homepage every morning. It gets clicks and they're in the business of making money. Heck, people don't even want to READ these days. That's why bullet lists and "Top 10" lists are consumed so much more than actual paragraphs (I've done countless studies on this stuff). If you pull up any sports outlets mobile site, it's mostly video content because people would rather push Play than read.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Over the yeas, it is very evident BB is more effusive in his pre game comments with the media. Yes, the media does ask more focused questions, and BB is more engaging.

The post game comments are the nightmare, evn after wins...with the mediaunprepared on what to ask, making it even a more awkward exchange.

Bottom line, BB doesnt make their jobs any easier, nor does he have to. It simply seems there are 31 other head coaches who are a bit more accomodating. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

I'll be in the minority here, and I have no problem with that.

I love BB the coach.

But what he said in that link is no different from what 100 other people have said about PM.  And he added nothing new.   If you found some insight I'd like to know what it was.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Over the yeas, it is very evident BB is more effusive in his pre game comments with the media. Yes, the media does ask more focused questions, and BB is more engaging.

The post game comments are the nightmare, evn after wins...with the mediaunprepared on what to ask, making it even a more awkward exchange.

Bottom line, BB doesnt make their jobs any easier, nor does he have to. It simply seems there are 31 other head coaches who are a bit more accomodating. 

This is the part I always get confused with. When you say, bit more 'accommodating' what do you mean and to whom? I don't think it's his job to make the media's job easier to make sure the fans get an answer to everything they're wanting to know. It's to win games and he does that at an extremely high rate. The post-game questions are tough because I can see how he or any other coach would want time to process the game before deciding what they wanted to share with everyone else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

This is the part I always get confused with. When you say, bit more 'accommodating' what do you mean and to whom? I don't think it's his job to make the media's job easier to make sure the fans get an answer to everything they're wanting to know. It's to win games and he does that at an extremely high rate. The post-game questions are tough because I can see how he or any other coach would want time to process the game before deciding what they wanted to share with everyone else.

everyone, media included, have a job to do. if BB simply accepted that it is that persons job to ask those questions, and he simply said, "I do not care to answer that question, next"...there is no problem.

There is no need to embarass someone trying to do their job, no need to be condescending.

I have been in a number of post game situations. It is now a cat and mouse game...the questions are mundane, the answers are even worse, and both parties understand neither will give an inch. So the focus is now "can we get BB to either blow his top to make a story, or can we get BB to embarrass himself to make a story". So far, neither has happend, and the press conferences are now a national joke, with BB being on the butt end. We have all seen the montage of BB pressers with him making faces, the monotone answers and the saying absolutely nothing while his lips are moving. The media has taken a "we will show him" attitude and makes his pressers a joke about him...

the NFL should wise up and realize this is a waste of everyones time.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

did you happen to catch the Panthers post game presser? I was not there, but spoke to a few who were. They asked BB on 5 seperate occasions if he would comment on the ref's call, knowing that BB would be fined by the league if he did comment. They were baiting him to try and make him slip up...typical BB he didnt...

That is now the state of BB's relationship with the media. Not that he cares, and his retaliation is total clamp down...and I mean TOTAL.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

did you happen to catch the Panthers post game presser? I was not there, but spoke to a few who were. They asked BB on 5 seperate occasions if he would comment on the ref's call, knowing that BB would be fined by the league if he did comment. They were baiting him to try and make him slip up...typical BB he didnt... 

Doesn't the media ask every coach about controversial calls?  That hardly seems like something reserved for BB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Doesn't the media ask every coach about controversial calls?  That hardly seems like something reserved for BB.

I can really only comment on the local scene. Doc was always very forth coming and held nothing back. Francona tried to be PC, but let everyone know exactly what he thought of the horsebleep call made by the umpire. We are not really involved much with hockey. I have seen fights a collge b-ball post game press conferences.  The NFL is different, they fine coaches (and players) for being critical. And they can get quite hefty.

You obviously notice I take Harve to the woodshed on every moronic thing he says...I have never taken him to task regarding the media's relationship with BB...nor the league office relationship with BB. I just threwup in my mouth, but HArve is correct. I simply want to add some perspective, there is a reason why there is conflict, and BB is at the root of it 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Belichick is in full CEO mode at a required press conference.  He's thinking "What's good for the team?"   Not thinking "I hope they like me"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

That is now the state of BB's relationship with the media. Not that he cares, and his retaliation is total clamp down...and I mean TOTAL.  

I saw that.  They kept asking him if he got an explanation from the refs.  That's a pretty specific question to have to answer over and over again.  The last time it was asked he said "I already answered that 4 times". Before that, he answered the same question every time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

Belichick is in full CEO mode at a required press conference.  He's thinking "What's good for the team?"   Not thinking "I hope they like me"

but no one is saying he should be in "I hope they like me" mode...he should simply better understand they have a job to do, and he should politely decline to answer questions he deems he does not wish to answer. No need for the long pauses and stares, no need for the intimidation, no need for the long drawn out answers saying absolutely nothing.

Look I have seen it first hand with Reiss (whom BB likes)...BB can be accomodating and genuine, as well as sympathetic to a job that needs to get done. If he can do it some of the time, he can do it more of the time 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

but no one is saying he should be in "I hope they like me" mode...he should simply better understand they have a job to do, and he should politely decline to answer questions he deems he does not wish to answer. No need for the long pauses and stares, no need for the intimidation, no need for the long drawn out answers saying absolutely nothing.

Look I have seen it first hand with Reiss (whom BB likes)...BB can be accomodating and genuine, as well as sympathetic to a job that needs to get done. If he can do it some of the time, he can do it more of the time 

Oh! I agree they're awkward.  I believe he  would cut the sleeves off the required pressers like he does with the required team gear, if he could.  Come to think of it, maybe that's what he's doing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Oh! I agree they're awkward.  I believe he  would cut the sleeves off the required pressers like he does with the required team gear, if he could.  Come to think of it, maybe that's what he's doing.

he is trying to show the NFL how ridiculous these things are after games, but the NFL is sticking it back up his behind and making him do it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think they should just cancel his press conferences all together, no one gets anything out of them, they are boring, they are awkward, they are uncomfortable for everyone involved...just end it already. If members of the media decide they are going to ask him questions about the fullback dive play (on a pop warner level) he will engage in the discussion for an hour, but if they ask him one single thing regarding the team he will take offense to it and shut down. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. They could ask him if the lines are painted white on the field and he wouldn't answer it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

from the article:

"   They’ve waiting all day to run the play against that situation. You tell them, ‘Here we are, we’re going to be in Cover-2 zone, go ahead run your best play.’ Well, they will. We’re going to be in “man-free” or we’re going to be in blitz or we’re going to be in “man-under 2-deep,” what are you going to do about it? Well, they can usually do something about it. I don’t really think anybody has had a lot of success playing that way.”

Gee, seems like a good way to run an offense...  Run your best play against a given defense.  Tell McDaniels how to do that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

everyone, media included, have a job to do. if BB simply accepted that it is that persons job to ask those questions, and he simply said, "I do not care to answer that question, next"...there is no problem.

There is no need to embarass someone trying to do their job, no need to be condescending.

I have been in a number of post game situations. It is now a cat and mouse game...the questions are mundane, the answers are even worse, and both parties understand neither will give an inch. So the focus is now "can we get BB to either blow his top to make a story, or can we get BB to embarrass himself to make a story". So far, neither has happend, and the press conferences are now a national joke, with BB being on the butt end. We have all seen the montage of BB pressers with him making faces, the monotone answers and the saying absolutely nothing while his lips are moving. The media has taken a "we will show him" attitude and makes his pressers a joke about him...

the NFL should wise up and realize this is a waste of everyones time.  

That's utter garbage.  HE has been the coach for 14 years and they can't figure out which questions he's going to sidestep?

Breer is all but antagonizing BB on  constant basis for chrissakes.

The media should wise up and stop being so arrogant, realizing it's not about them, but the media is a conduit between the fans and the team. The media covering BB have been completely disinegenuous since 2005 or more so 2007.

They think they are owed something because of what BB has earned as a HOF coach.

dumbkoff...I said exactly that. the relationship has reached the point where the media knows they will get nothing, so they are simply baiting him...can't you read? I even threw you a bone;

You obviously notice I take Harve to the woodshed on every moronic thing he says...I have never taken him to task regarding the media's relationship with BB...nor the league office relationship with BB. I just threwup in my mouth, but Harve is correct. I simply want to add some perspective, there is a reason why there is conflict, and BB is at the root of it 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think they should just cancel his press conferences all together, no one gets anything out of them, they are boring, they are awkward, they are uncomfortable for everyone involved...just end it already. If members of the media decide they are going to ask him questions about the fullback dive play (on a pop warner level) he will engage in the discussion for an hour, but if they ask him one single thing regarding the team he will take offense to it and shut down. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. They could ask him if the lines are painted white on the field and he wouldn't answer it.

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.   I asked for examples on the insight people think they are getting from these pressers and got ZERO responses.

He takes any question as if the answer would reveal classified information.

"Why did you take the timeout at ____ instead of _____?"

"I thought it gave us the best chance to win."

"Why did you defer when you won the pregame coin flip?"

"There seemed to be a lot of slipping and sliding on the turf.   What were your thoughts?"

"I don't know, I'll have to look at the film.   Both teams faced the same conditions, so ..."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.   I asked for examples on the insight people think they are getting from these pressers and got ZERO responses.

He takes any question as if the answer would reveal classified information.

"Why did you take the timeout at ____ instead of _____?"

"Why did you defer when you won the pregame coin flip?"

"There seemed to be a lot of slipping and sliding on the turf.   What were your thoughts?"

"I don't know, I'll have to look at the film.   Both teams faced the same conditions, so ..."

it has simply deteriorated into a cat and mouse situation, and neither party will give an inch. while many here in NE (and Harve) think BB is "showing them", the actuality is on a national level, BB looks like a bad joke, and the NFL is enjoying torturing BB. I think it is a pretty well known fact that BB leads the coaches in fines assesed by the league over the years

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Herm Edwards and Jim Mora. Two mediocre coaches that held successful press conferences and gave great sound bytes. No thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Exactly...  Boby Valentine another one.  They all have Egos but BB stays true to his team and keeps it all in house.  His team knows him as the coach and different guy than the robot on TV.  This is good since it gives them the example, the demonstration that it is about what goes on in the locker room and on the field.  The Media is just inconsequential fluff and should be treated as such.  The players follow his lead with only the occasional slip up.  It works.  They're not the clown show jets.  They're consistent.  It's why the league has the agenda against them.  They have a winning formula.  Without the fabricated obstructions by Goodell, New England has 2 or 3 more lombardis.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts