Dear Underdoggg...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Dear Underdoggg...

I can't help but to see the bias in your perspective, especially given that you probably didn't watch every colts game so you really couldn't know how the players played.  You just see the outcome and make your judgment.

I've had the NFL package for 5 years. I watch a lot of games. Manning wasn't released to practice until December. I was hoping the Colts would lose all 16, but alas they pulled a win or 2 out of their butts so they wouldnt go down in history like the Lions.
    So tell me...  when did Manning start throwing? When did he start taking first team reps in practice. Cause as we all know when you have a player like that you keep them on the roster so they might be able to play in week 15, 16 or 17.

I dont think you'll accept the fact that the Colts laid down just like they did when they had the chance for the perfect season. Old habits are hard to break.
    Your just being a homer now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Homerism at it's finest,
    Fact is Dogg, there have been questions about the Colts tanking since week 2.
    Google it if you don't believe me.
    Why did they bring a relic out of retirement and expect that would help.
    Why didn't they get Orton, who surely could have won some games and would have been a cheaper option than the relic.  Because that gave them the best option to win????? LOL
    Why did Polian scout Luck in the spring before the season started and a full year before he would be eligible?
    How about this: Polian's son, Brian, is Stanford's assistant special teams coordinator, so there is a family connection with the university and the Colts.

Week 2 questions and thoughts, dogg.  Week 2!!!
    Like I said, it was scripted from the beginning.
    But, yes, everyone who believes this to be the case; Peter King ect ect ect... are all biased.  The only one who isn't is you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

It gets a bit tiresome arguing individually with each poster, because as I have said before (ON THIS THREAD), the colts were in a number of games they lost.  Painter frustratingly played very well for periods of a game followed by complete collapse.  So what do you do, pull him because of the collapse or stick with him because of the very strong periods of play?  I've also said that Orlovsky was cut in the preseason because he didn't differentiate himself from Painter, so you stick with the guy who knows the system better.  Hindsight is always 20/20, but if you were a rational colts fan watching the games, you'd understand their moves, even if you didn't always agree with them. 

Manning was throwing before the end of the season.  As you said (and I said), you keep a guy like that on the roster, which now contradicts one of your original points asking why they didn't shut him down.  As I noted, the fusion takes 6-8 weeks to heal.  If the regeneration progressed at the same rate as the fusion, Manning would have been in a much better position to practice and possibly play before the end of the season.  It didn't.  Unless you are a clairvoyant - which you are attempting to practice now with your hindsight (you can't get paid for that) - you can't know how quickly his nerve nerve will regenerate.  We only know now.  

Question for you regarding the roster spot, who could the colts have brought in for part of a season that would have changed their results that much?  Who was available to cause that much of a difference?

I hope you are just stirring the pot about the "laying down" thing, because the idea makes no rational sense when performance matters as it relates to future employment.  If there was an organizational effort to "lay down", then why would the owner subsequently fire the head coach (who took the team to a superbowl and the playoffs amid a ridiculous amount of injuries including a QB who was playing with a neck problem), the DC, the President, the GM, and demote the OC?  That's the top 3 coaching positions and the top 2 FO positions in the org.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

What would the point be to waste a roster spot on a guy that might be able to practice in week 15,16 or 17? If he has a neck injury you shut him down and let him heal.

Polian said he won't play on Dec 18th http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/12/18/2645028/bill-polian-peyton-manning-shutdown-for-2011-will-not-play-in-final

Why not put him on IR? When your a 1 win team you would relish another roster spot no matter how late in the season.. well if you were trying. I would think that a 1 win team would not like to be playing 52 on 53.

But hey... you spin it how ever you want. Just like when the Colts quit on the perfect season. There were some fancy excuses when that happened. Hopefully now Manning is not part of the team he can tell us what really happened. I'd think after picking your pockets of 28M there might be some bitterness.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Underdoggg...:
    Homerism at it's finest, Fact is Dogg, there have been questions about the Colts tanking since week 2. Google it if you don't believe me. Why did they bring a relic out of retirement and expect that would help. Why didn't they get Orton, who surely could have won some games and would have been a cheaper option than the relic.  Because that gave them the best option to win????? LOL Why did Polian scout Luck in the spring before the season started and a full year before he would be eligible? How about this: Polian's son, Brian, is Stanford's assistant special teams coordinator, so there is a family connection with the university and the Colts. Week 2 questions and thoughts, dogg.  Week 2!!! Like I said, it was scripted from the beginning. But, yes, everyone who believes this to be the case; Peter King ect ect ect... are all biased.  The only one who isn't is you.
    Posted by pezz4pats

LOL -

I've answered the question about Collins - go back and read - or "google" it. 

Orton was the starter for Denver at the beginning of the season and the coaching staff had no desire to play Tebow at that time.  So, the Collins/Orton question doesn't apply.  Come on, man - THINK. 

Didn't you already answer your question about why Polian was at Stanford?  Maybe you don't have kids or maybe you do and just don't care to see them.  But evenso, isn't it a GM's job to know as much about all potential players as possible?  Doesn't really matter now, however, what Polian knows about Luck, does it?   

Did you know that people have been calling belichick a cheater for 5 years now?  Google it if you don't believe me.  I know you don't buy that claim, but for some reason you expect me to buy your colts claim.  Heck, at least the Belichick claim is corroborated.  As it relates to the colts, you are just grasping at straws. 

Next time, don't bring a knife to a gun fight Pezz. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Phil,

I'll ask again because you didn't answer:

Who was available that could have significantly changed the colts fortunes? 

Why would the owner subsequently fire the top 2 FO positions and top 2 coach positions if there was an organizational decision to "lay down"? 

As it relates to why the colts wouldn't IR Manning even after they said he wouldn't play, I refer you to my first response to you.  If they IR'd him, he wouldn't be allowed to practice and the team wouldn't have had an opportunity to evaluate his progress.  I am going suggest that seeing him throw before the end of the season was critical to their evaluation and decision to release him. 

Keep jabbing, Phil.  You may end up landing a punch if you don't exhaust yourself first.  Right now, you are just catching air. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

CRAZY SCENARIO #374

Irsay wakes up today with a change of heart .

Calls Peyton and tells him that he and Indy just can't live w/o him .

They will offer him a new 4 year deal .

They will trade the Luck pick to the highest bidder .

They will re-sign Reggie Wayne / Pierre Garcon .

In short -
    HE WANTS TO GET THE BAND BACK TOGETHER AGAIN .

Wonder what Manning's answer would be ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Capy - I've wondered whether or not the colts might not make a play for Manning once all the other offers came in.  That would make the Press Conference great theater, wouldn't it? 

Its funny that you quoted the Blues Brothers - I thought of the exact same line when I thought about the idea of the colts bringing him back. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I am going suggest that seeing him throw before the end of the season was critical to their evaluation and decision to release him. 

They saw him throw and then they said he wont play. Are you suggesting that they couldnt have taken someone from the practice squad to give them some live reps to evaluate what they have? From what I read they were shutting down Manning for the rest of the season. Tell me I'm wrong. So you think that just leaving a roster spot open makes sense? This isnt sand lot football its a multi billion dollar industry. If I was hurt you can sure bet my boss would replace me with someone.

If they didn't try to even upgrade slightly from the practice squad then they quit. If you think I'm the kind of person who "punches" on a message forum then your wrong. I dont dislike you or the Colts but Colts management I do have a problem with. Irsay just looks like a slime to me. He not only screwed Manning he screwed your fans. Kind of like he did when he squeezed the city for a new stadium before the old one was even paid off. Thats MikeBrown-esque if you ask me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

UD6,

Wow, I promised to stay away from the board because of how upset I was with the Pats performance but I thought I'd see how you're doing?
    So...I see your're still with us so my first fear is put to bed, now......if Peyton decides to play again with another team will you be a Colt fan or a fan of wherever he goes?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Mmm.. the colt's have been labeled as cheaters since at least 2004 with their Gm manipulating the rules to favor his high powered O.  Then there are the other problems of creating advantages that would favor them during the game.
    How about the accusations of zebra tampering which if googled would yield about a million results.
    What about the tanking the perfect season that has brought on scorn by not only fans of other teams but fans of the colts?
    What about fans of the colts actually advocating tanking the season?  Are they biased and stirring the pot?  What reason would your own fans have for advocating something that you say never happened?
    The colts tanked the season by not playing the best available players just as they did in 09. Caldwell was a puppet just following the rules of his leader.  His leader wanted Andrew Luck and did what ever he had to do to get him.
    There are also reports of the NFL considering a lottery system for the draft for this very reason and suggestions by many, that they should.

You can spin all you want but that only results in you becoming more dizzy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I guess you aren't getting it.  The colts had 2 games left when they said he would not play.  However, by keeping him on the roster they could allow him to continue to practice for a couple of weeks and they could evaluate his progress. 

As it relates evaluation, who's progress do you think is more important, Peyton Manning or a guy who hasn't done enough by the end of the year to rise to the active roster?  That's where I think you miss the point.  As you said, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry, and Manning is the most important player of the last 15 years - don't believe me - name another player who's won 4 MVP's during that time.  If Manning wasn't that important, we wouldn't be talking about him now. 

uh, the punch comment was a metaphor.  Please don't take it literally, you are throwing out points in an effort to try to convince me that the colt tanked.  Those are "punches". 

I am sorry you don't like Irsay.  I don't like Belichick, and the reasons are numerous. 

I don't know how Irsay screwed Manning.  He paid him when he couldn't play. Manning is an incredibly proud guy.  If Irsay, screwed him, I don't think we would have seen the press conference we did. 

As for screwing the fans, I disagree, as well.  Prior to this last year, we enjoyed more success than 30 other teams in the league over the last decade.  

As for the stadium, welcome to the NFL, unless you are a large market, and even in that case its not fully guaranteed (see LA), your market gets squeezed for venues.  The reason, however, that the deal worked is because Indy is a convention city, which is why the superbowl was so successful.  Everything is within walking distance.  The convention center is landlocked, and Indy was losing large convention business because the space wasn't large enough.  By tearing down the down, which was attached to the convention center, it allowed the city to expand it to its max size and provided us with greater opportunity to attract large conventions.  Because of this we could understand it.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

UD6, Wow, I promised to stay away from the board because of how upset I was with the Pats performance but I thought I'd see how you're doing? So...I see your're still with us so my first fear is put to bed, now......if Peyton decides to play again with another team will you be a Colt fan or a fan of wherever he goes?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

I'll always be a colts fan and a manning fan. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

I appreciate the loyalty, it's sad to say but I appreciate Manning more now. The thought of him possibly not playing anymore sux. As much as I hate him on the field he's explosive to watch and good for the game. I certainly don't want him to go out like that...........I'd rather see him play outside in the AFC East so we can see just what a dome does for QB's.

So......if Manning ends up facing the Colts who do you pull for?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Underdoggg... : Worst part Dave was that hopes he would return kept them from placing him on IR. Sitting on the bench he ate up a ton of cap space which they did in fact lose depth at the time and could have used to resign players early that they could potentially lost this year. Just shows you that Manning was not about the team at all, because if he was he would have taken a hit knowing he was injured to minimize the damage to the team that year. Maybe having a fair portion of that first years salary incentive based?
    Posted by PatsEng

Consider this:

Ol' Pay A Ton undoubtedly injured and unable to play (Stevie Wonder could see this). He gets $26MM and chews up cap space AND a roster slot. The Colts are unable to resign some of their other players approachng FA. The team is aging terribly, and their window of opportunity closed a few years before. Recipe for disaster, yes?

Hmmmm.....  all these factors,a nd the team ends up with the #1 pick.

BRILLIANT!!!!!

Irsay is as looney as he wants himself to be shown to be. Even Sterling, the worst, most totally inept sports franchise owner (owns the Clippers), isn't THIS stupid, unless........ Naw! The Clippers have done NOTHING with all their #1's up until Griffith. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

God I love all the posters that come on here and say "Oh so and so should take a pay cut to stay if they love the team".  Give me a break.  No one on this board would take a pay cut.  Not only that but Football is a BUSINESS and as a player you better look out for yourself because the team will cut you in a heartbeat.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

God I love all the posters that come on here and say "Oh so and so should take a pay cut to stay if they love the team".  Give me a break.  No one on this board would take a pay cut.  Not only that but Football is a BUSINESS and as a player you better look out for yourself because the team will cut you in a heartbeat.
    Posted by Patsman3

I actually HAVE done it.  So much for you being the fount of all information.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Underdoggg... : I actually HAVE done it.  So much for you being the fount of all information.  
    Posted by Davedsone

Really???  So you had the option to go to any other company/team in your profession and said, no no, i will take less money to stay here because i love it sooooo much.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you too.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

I guess you aren't getting it.  The colts had 2 games left when they said he would not play.  However, by keeping him on the roster they could allow him to continue to practice for a couple of weeks and they could evaluate his progress.  As it relates evaluation, who's progress do you think is more important, Peyton Manning or a guy who hasn't done enough by the end of the year to rise to the active roster?  That's where I think you miss the point.  As you said, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry, and Manning is the most important player of the last 15 years - don't believe me - name another player who's won 4 MVP's during that time.  If Manning wasn't that important, we wouldn't be talking about him now.  uh, the punch comment was a metaphor.  Please don't take it literally, you are throwing out points in an effort to try to convince me that the colt tanked.  Those are "punches".  I am sorry you don't like Irsay.  I don't like Belichick, and the reasons are numerous.  I don't know how Irsay screwed Manning.  He paid him when he couldn't play. Manning is an incredibly proud guy.  If Irsay, screwed him, I don't think we would have seen the press conference we did.  As for screwing the fans, I disagree, as well.  Prior to this last year, we enjoyed more success than 30 other teams in the league over the last decade.   As for the stadium, welcome to the NFL, unless you are a large market, and even in that case its not fully guaranteed (see LA), your market gets squeezed for venues.  The reason, however, that the deal worked is because Indy is a convention city, which is why the superbowl was so successful.  Everything is within walking distance.  The convention center is landlocked, and Indy was losing large convention business because the space wasn't large enough.  By tearing down the down, which was attached to the convention center, it allowed the city to expand it to its max size and provided us with greater opportunity to attract large conventions.  Because of this we could understand it.    
    Posted by UD6

You're reaching at best.

The Colts were WAY beyond hope well before game #14 was played. There was absolutely no reason for them to even consider playing him if they were under .500 after 12 games. They have put players on IR for much lesser injuries, makes no sense NOT to do the same with Manning. I believe players can still work out with their teams, to rehab, but just can't play in live/scheduled games.  

As I mentioned earlier, Stevie Wonder could see he wasn't going to play. He could have been evaluated under the guise of rehab. It's done that way. And, after 12 weeks, there was no NFL team trembling about having to face him later in the season. The world knew he was done for the year, except for you and the Colts. His staying on the active roster roster through week 14 was for exactly who's benefit? Certainly NOT Mannings! Your own words incriminate you, and I quote: I don't know how Irsay screwed Manning.  He paid him when he couldn't play.  Hmmmmm.... seems to me that even YOU admit that he was a no go for the season, yet for $20+ bazillion dollars, tieing up a roster spot AND cap space. Pay him and keep him on the roster and pay him to watch his progress in practice? I'd like to think you can do better than that whopper.

As for his importance to teh league, I believe it's hiughly overrated. I also said the same about Favre when he was hyped 24/7/365, and Elway, and Emmit Smith, etc. Fact is there's ALWAYS the "next" guy out there to be the next (fill in the blank). The NFL survived long before the gleam shown off Manning's high forehead, or Elway's SB propellar flip, or Smith's rushing record. So, stop hanging onto the idea that the NFL world will stop, or should bow down to Manning, just because he won 4 MVP's. Doesn't work that way. It's clearly a "What have you done for me lately?" proposition.

I don't want to get into the who screwed who game. Irsay knowing paid him a ton of money for NOT playing, despite common knowledge that he was damaged goods and unable to play (again, your words: monitor his progress in practice). Manning took the money KNOWING he was not going to play in 2011. (Please quite me the time when Ol' Pay A Ton ever said he was definitely going to play in the upcoming game. Thank you.) They deserve each other. I don't care if he stayed, retired, or goes to another team. To me, he's yesterday's news. I'm sure the national media hores will hype the heck out of where he's going, especially on slow news days. Then, then next BIG thing will be his first practice, his first live game, even if it's only exhibition, and then his first regular season game. You know, like watching little Jimmy grow up all over again. Then, unfortunately, it'll be his first injury with the new team, and then weeks of "will he play soon?", and finally, all the excuses inherent when the NExt Best Thing doesn't deliver a playoff sppt, SB slot, or championship. Now, where have we seen this before? Hmmmm.... does the name FAVRE mean anything to you? (Personally, I'll go on record by saying that if you do not have a domed stadium, you're out of the Pay A Ton Sweeps. That narrows he field a little, don't you think?)

As for "conventions", I believe Indy was already hosting them well before Manning showed up. Please send us the site that will show how the convention business boomed after his arrival. THAT would be an interesting read, like jack And The Beanstalk. I'm also pretty sure that the NFL did NOT select Indy to host last year's SB because it's Manning's home town. Like Dallas, perhaps they were envisioning the prospect of havng a home town team paying in one. Again, stop trying to convince yourself that the world is a much better and improved place because Manning played 14 years in Indy, won 4 MVP's, and got paid a year's salary more than God to NOT play, and allow his team to tank a year to get the #1 overall pick.

In two-four years, once he's finished as a player, the fans will be looking to annoint the Next Big Thing. Unless, of course, you're guaranteeing that there will NEVER be another 4 time MVP winner. Right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JOLA. Show JOLA's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Underdoggg... : You're reaching at best. The Colts were WAY beyond hope well before game #14 was played. There was absolutely no reason for them to even consider playing him if they were under .500 after 12 games. They have put players on IR for much lesser injuries, makes no sense NOT to do the same with Manning. I believe players can still work out with their teams, to rehab, but just can't play in live/scheduled games.   As I mentioned earlier, Stevie Wonder could see he wasn't going to play. He could have been evaluated under the guise of rehab. It's done that way. And, after 12 weeks, there was no NFL team trembling about having to face him later in the season. The world knew he was done for the year, except for you and the Colts. His staying on the active roster roster through week 14 was for exactly who's benefit? Certainly NOT Mannings! Your own words incriminate you, and I quote: I don't know how Irsay screwed Manning.  He paid him when he couldn't play.  Hmmmmm.... seems to me that even YOU admit that he was a no go for the season, yet for $20+ bazillion dollars, tieing up a roster spot AND cap space. Pay him and keep him on the roster and pay him to watch his progress in practice? I'd like to think you can do better than that whopper. As for his importance to teh league, I believe it's hiughly overrated. I also said the same about Favre when he was hyped 24/7/365, and Elway, and Emmit Smith, etc. Fact is there's ALWAYS the "next" guy out there to be the next (fill in the blank). The NFL survived long before the gleam shown off Manning's high forehead, or Elway's SB propellar flip, or Smith's rushing record. So, stop hanging onto the idea that the NFL world will stop, or should bow down to Manning, just because he won 4 MVP's. Doesn't work that way. It's clearly a "What have you done for me lately?" proposition. I don't want to get into the who screwed who game. Irsay knowing paid him a ton of money for NOT playing, despite common knowledge that he was damaged goods and unable to play (again, your words: monitor his progress in practice). Manning took the money KNOWING he was not going to play in 2011. (Please quite me the time when Ol' Pay A Ton ever said he was definitely going to play in the upcoming game. Thank you.) They deserve each other. I don't care if he stayed, retired, or goes to another team. To me, he's yesterday's news. I'm sure the national media hores will hype the heck out of where he's going, especially on slow news days. Then, then next BIG thing will be his first practice, his first live game, even if it's only exhibition, and then his first regular season game. You know, like watching little Jimmy grow up all over again. Then, unfortunately, it'll be his first injury with the new team, and then weeks of "will he play soon?", and finally, all the excuses inherent when the NExt Best Thing doesn't deliver a playoff sppt, SB slot, or championship. Now, where have we seen this before? Hmmmm.... does the name FAVRE mean anything to you? (Personally, I'll go on record by saying that if you do not have a domed stadium, you're out of the Pay A Ton Sweeps. That narrows he field a little, don't you think?) As for "conventions", I believe Indy was already hosting them well before Manning showed up. Please send us the site that will show how the convention business boomed after his arrival. THAT would be an interesting read, like jack And The Beanstalk. I'm also pretty sure that the NFL did NOT select Indy to host last year's SB because it's Manning's home town. Like Dallas, perhaps they were envisioning the prospect of havng a home town team paying in one. Again, stop trying to convince yourself that the world is a much better and improved place because Manning played 14 years in Indy, won 4 MVP's, and got paid a year's salary more than God to NOT play, and allow his team to tank a year to get the #1 overall pick. In two-four years, once he's finished as a player, the fans will be looking to annoint the Next Big Thing. Unless, of course, you're guaranteeing that there will NEVER be another 4 time MVP winner. Right?
    Posted by AZPAT

Agree with you 100%.  I don't think he will play again.  I think Manning will retire..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I appreciate the loyalty, it's sad to say but I appreciate Manning more now. The thought of him possibly not playing anymore sux. As much as I hate him on the field he's explosive to watch and good for the game. I certainly don't want him to go out like that...........I'd rather see him play outside in the AFC East so we can see just what a dome does for QB's. So......if Manning ends up facing the Colts who do you pull for?
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Oh, that's easy.  I'll root for the colts.  Believe or not, I was not a manning fan when they drafted him.  I thought the colts should have drafted Leaf, but there was some bias there on my part.  Anyway, I got religion pretty quickly. 

The common refrain locally is that when and if the colts face manning, we wish for Manning to throw for 4 tds and 300 yards but lose. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Underdoggg... : Oh, that's easy.  I'll root for the colts.  Believe or not, I was not a manning fan when they drafted him.  I thought the colts should have drafted Leaf, but there was some bias there on my part.  Anyway, I got religion pretty quickly.  The common refrain locally is that when and if the colts face manning, we wish for Manning to throw for 4 tds and 300 yards but lose. 
    Posted by UD6

I'm sure you're not really all that concerned with it, but as a Manning fan, where would you want to see him land once all is said and done?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Underdoggg... : You're reaching at best. The Colts were WAY beyond hope well before game #14 was played. There was absolutely no reason for them to even consider playing him if they were under .500 after 12 games. They have put players on IR for much lesser injuries, makes no sense NOT to do the same with Manning. I believe players can still work out with their teams, to rehab, but just can't play in live/scheduled games.  

They can rehab, but they cannot practice.  I am sure there are very clear details to what that means that would have kept Manning from doing skeleton drills. 

As I mentioned earlier, Stevie Wonder could see he wasn't going to play. He could have been evaluated under the guise of rehab. It's done that way. And, after 12 weeks, there was no NFL team trembling about having to face him later in the season. The world knew he was done for the year, except for you and the Colts. His staying on the active roster roster through week 14 was for exactly who's benefit? Certainly NOT Mannings! Your own words incriminate you, and I quote: I don't know how Irsay screwed Manning.  He paid him when he couldn't play.  Hmmmmm.... seems to me that even YOU admit that he was a no go for the season, yet for $20+ bazillion dollars, tieing up a roster spot AND cap space. Pay him and keep him on the roster and pay him to watch his progress in practice? I'd like to think you can do better than that whopper.

Umm - the colts may have been trembling about whether or not he could ever play again with an 18 million payment in front of them well before the season starts.  I never said keeping him on the roster was for Manning's benefit.  I believe it was for the colts benefit.  My point about Irsay paying him was a hindsight comment.  No one, and I don't even believe Manning thought he was going to need a spine fusion to resolve his issue. Manning signed his contract on July 30.  He did not have surgery until Sept 7th (or there abouts)

As for his importance to teh league, I believe it's hiughly overrated. I also said the same about Favre when he was hyped 24/7/365, and Elway, and Emmit Smith, etc. Fact is there's ALWAYS the "next" guy out there to be the next (fill in the blank). The NFL survived long before the gleam shown off Manning's high forehead, or Elway's SB propellar flip, or Smith's rushing record. So, stop hanging onto the idea that the NFL world will stop, or should bow down to Manning, just because he won 4 MVP's. Doesn't work that way. It's clearly a "What have you done for me lately?" proposition.

Sure the League always moves forward, but that's not the comment I made.  I said he was the most important player for the last decade.  The guy was the #1 player during the leagues greatest growth. 

I don't want to get into the who screwed who game. Irsay knowing paid him a ton of money for NOT playing, despite common knowledge that he was damaged goods and unable to play (again, your words: monitor his progress in practice). Manning took the money KNOWING he was not going to play in 2011. (Please quite me the time when Ol' Pay A Ton ever said he was definitely going to play in the upcoming game. Thank you.) They deserve each other. I don't care if he stayed, retired, or goes to another team. To me, he's yesterday's news. I'm sure the national media hores will hype the heck out of where he's going, especially on slow news days. Then, then next BIG thing will be his first practice, his first live game, even if it's only exhibition, and then his first regular season game. You know, like watching little Jimmy grow up all over again. Then, unfortunately, it'll be his first injury with the new team, and then weeks of "will he play soon?", and finally, all the excuses inherent when the NExt Best Thing doesn't deliver a playoff sppt, SB slot, or championship. Now, where have we seen this before? Hmmmm.... does the name FAVRE mean anything to you? (Personally, I'll go on record by saying that if you do not have a domed stadium, you're out of the Pay A Ton Sweeps. That narrows he field a little, don't you think?)

Manning was Irsay's cash cow.  What Irsay paid him was worth it.  I fully disagree that at the time of the deal that Manning KNEW he would not play in 2011.  If you have solid facts to the contrary, I'll be happy to change my mind.  What I don't understand, however, is as "over" Manning as you are (yesterday's news) why you are wasting your time commenting on it.  You project an image through your words that you would not waste your time on "yesterdays news", but here you are doing just that.  As for your prediction regarding where he plays, you may be right.  That said, I am not sure a team lines up better for him than Arizona.  However, if he does sign with a team without a dome, are you going to start a thread admitting you were wrong?  Probably not, yesterdays news, right?  You don't waste your time with that, right?  um - well - may not.

As for "conventions", I believe Indy was already hosting them well before Manning showed up. Please send us the site that will show how the convention business boomed after his arrival. THAT would be an interesting read, like jack And The Beanstalk. I'm also pretty sure that the NFL did NOT select Indy to host last year's SB because it's Manning's home town. Like Dallas, perhaps they were envisioning the prospect of havng a home town team paying in one. Again, stop trying to convince yourself that the world is a much better and improved place because Manning played 14 years in Indy, won 4 MVP's, and got paid a year's salary more than God to NOT play, and allow his team to tank a year to get the #1 overall pick. In two-four years, once he's finished as a player, the fans will be looking to annoint the Next Big Thing. Unless, of course, you're guaranteeing that there will NEVER be another 4 time MVP winner. Right?

Regarding the convention center and new stadium, I guess you really didn't read my post very well given your comments, because you mind sent you off on some kind of unrelated tangent to the comments I made.  Go back and reread.  You might get it if you try a second time.  My world was better because the team of which I am a fan succeeded to a place they had not before, and Manning was the principal reason for that.  Again, I don't understand your reasons for commenting if the subject is "old news", but I don't have any control over your inconsistencies. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Underdoggg... : I'm sure you're not really all that concerned with it, but as a Manning fan, where would you want to see him land once all is said and done?
    Posted by jeffab

I don't really care.  I suppose the only places I don't want him to land are in the AFC South. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Mmm.. the colt's have been labeled as cheaters since at least 2004 with their Gm manipulating the rules to favor his high powered O.  Then there are the other problems of creating advantages that would favor them during the game. How about the accusations of zebra tampering which if googled would yield about a million results. What about the tanking the perfect season that has brought on scorn by not only fans of other teams but fans of the colts? What about fans of the colts actually advocating tanking the season?  Are they biased and stirring the pot?  What reason would your own fans have for advocating something that you say never happened ? The colts tanked the season by not playing the best available players just as they did in 09. Caldwell was a puppet just following the rules of his leader.  His leader wanted Andrew Luck and did what ever he had to do to get him. There are also reports of the NFL considering a lottery system for the draft for this very reason and suggestions by many, that they should. You can spin all you want but that only results in you becoming more dizzy.
    Posted by pezz4pats

Wow Pezz - If you keep throwing it against the wall maybe something will stick. Unfortunately, none of these rise to that level.  And although you continue to fail miserably, your persistance deserve commendation.

Sections
Shortcuts