Decision on Burgess likely within a week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRules. Show BBRules's posts

Decision on Burgess likely within a week

Why won't Bill admit he was a bust and move on? Does it look too bad not to re-sign him after giving up a 3rd and 5th?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Re: Decision on Burgess likely within a week

In Response to Decision on Burgess likely within a week:
    Why won't Bill admit he was a bust and move on? Does it look too bad not to re-sign him after giving up a 3rd and 5th?
    Posted by BBRules

I think BB in his press conference with Mike Reisee said enough to point that most things not will be done around the time of the draft. This reminds me of When Jimmy Hoffa got into office and did things at one motion, of course Jimmy Hoffa no longer makes those kinds of decesions unless hes working with Elvis. The moral to this story is why cant Jimmy Hoffa be a football coach? And where the heII is Elvis

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

LATE LAST SEASON HE WAS SHOWING PROGRESS AGAINST THE RUN AND GETTING SOME PRESSUREON THE OPPOSINGQ.B..HE WAS NOT OUSTANDING BY ANY MEANS BUT HE STOPPED LOOKING LIKE LIKE HE WAS IN FOG AS TO WHAT HIS ASSIGNMENT WAS AND BEGAN TO REACT RATHER THAN JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS GOING ON AND JUST HE WAS SUPPOSED TO DO ABOUT IT.HE MAY WELL BE WORTH A SECOND LOOK.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I think he's worth bringing back.  Another year in the system might help his understanding of his role and the team probably has a better idea of what his strong points are.  He's probably about as good a pass rusher as TBC even if the sack numbers don't quite bear that out.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

How can you say Burgess was a bust?? He had to learn a new system and he was asked to do a lot of coverage. I think he showed how good he can be at the end of the season - and it would be great to bring him back cause now he knows the system. He is a two time pro Bowler so he knows how to play at a high level.

Bring back Burgess, get J. Taylor and trade for Kirk Morrisson and draft an OLB in the first round...and we are all set. And then get rid of Guyton!!! He is just not a 3-4 type at LB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Derrick Burgess at least got it by the end of the season.I don't see him as a liability but more of a work in progress. I actually think that Guyton would make a great SS,he's faster than most of the safeties in the league! He is more of a roving linebacker,his persuit skills are excellent. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to trade him but in either case for an UDFA not a bad signing! The kid from USF Tyronne McKenzie will more than likely be stationed next to Mayo this next season barring injury.the guy whose job is the most in danger is Crable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

he got better as the year went on....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

resign him
    he was playing quite well towards the end of the year. If we resign him and bring in jason taylor our LB corps will have a great set of vets for the OLB spot, move Guyton to outside and bring in a rookie our pass rush would be very talented.  Burgess deserves more time in the system being that he has never played OLB in the 3-4 D.  If he was resigned i bet he would be a very valueable LB in our system and i think he could get at least 6 sacks for us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

He had more tackles and Sacks than AD did last year, I think that they should at least try and get him back, he is better than Woods

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

maybe BB wants to see how the spring practices go first, maybe he'll try to package him and AD to a team like the bills for a draft pick

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

In Response to Decision on Burgess likely within a week:
    Posted by BBRules

your so wrong, he was a bust, but the patriots have never been shy to cut their losses.  Greg Lewis, the wr from the raiders forgot his name as some examples.  Maybe it was a harder adjustment for burgess then the brass thought it would be.  anyway, we need better then burgess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I would like to see him back.  He was coming on nicely near the end of the year, he still has a great deal of talent, and it would create for more competetion in camp and perhaps work out as him starting again as well. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Whatever. As long as he doesn't hinder the Pats going after Jason Taylor and drafting Eric Norwood I'll live with the decision. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

I don't understand why so many want Jason Taylor. He' a Miami Dolphin--always has been always will be His heart will never be with the Patriots. Let him fade into the sunset, his time has gone as has Willie's and Ty Laws' and Lawyor. I don't want Taylor in NE!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Taylor still has something left in him. He is a great leader (That's all I ever hear about needs on the New England defense), great player, great guy. He, along with Wille-Mac (as a LB coach), would teach the new LBs how to play the position like men. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Decision on Burgess likely within a week:
    I don't understand why so many want Jason Taylor. He' a Miami Dolphin--always has been always will be His heart will never be with the Patriots. Let him fade into the sunset, his time has gone as has Willie's and Ty Laws' and Lawyor. I don't want Taylor in NE!!
    Posted by NEGAME

i agree, i don't want this guy on the Pats. he needs to get with Seau and go to surfing school

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbalance617. Show jbalance617's posts

In Response to Decision on Burgess likely within a week : your so wrong, he was a bust, but the patriots have never been shy to cut their losses.  Greg Lewis, the wr from the raiders forgot his name as some examples.  Maybe it was a harder adjustment for burgess then the brass thought it would be.  anyway, we need better then burgess.
    Posted by hagen910

lololol... the wr from the raiders that year was doug gabriel...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I'll repeat here what I posted on ESPN Boston's Patriots blog:
    He stunk. He's too slow to be a speed rusher and too small to be a power rusher. At least one of his sacks came because Carolina backup quarterback Matt Moore LITERALLY broke a secure pocket to run into his arms when it was clear he couldn't beat Carolina's backup tackle mano-y-mano. He's also too slow and too stiff to be a significant asset in coverage.  The real icing on the cake is his spin move: beginning with his matchup against the admittedly respectable Jared Gaither of the Ravens, I began to keep an eye on this move because every time Burgess spun, he was promptly planted on his backside or his face.
    The ONLY reason I think the Patriots are even considering bringing him back is because they're trying to justify the 3rd and 5th round picks they gave up to get him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

can't give up on him so easily, let him compete for his job!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If he comes back my guess is not until after the draft, and because they think he's the best man available.  As many have mentioned he improved considerably as 2009 went on, but was still a disappointment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Wow ...
    Shocked how many Pats fans are swallowing revisionist history on BURGESS .
     "He was playing better at seasons end ? "...
     REALLY ?
    So instead of being the weakest link on the D unit( like from weeks 1-10 ) , He improved to only second ( AD ) or third ( Whilhite ) weakest...Nice .
       Personally , I saw a guy given EVERY chance to make plays and the only edge he seemed capable of setting was 2 yards behind the Qb .
     Did he have a single "OOOHHH YAH Tackle the whole year ? "
      BB is a pragmatist who doesn't throw good money after bad and as stated in a post above ...
     DOESNT CARE ABOUT WHAT ANYBODY THINKS ( They're be no "face-saving Burgess signing" )
     That said ,

My guess is that BB will sign him IF he's willing to take a Pats friendly incentive laden deal with little Bonus and a big Pats escape clause should they deem him expendable before the '10 season kicks off.

NOTE : The best thing from the Pats perspective might be for another club to sign him to a decent deal
     ( Pats would then be awrded a '11 Compensatory pick )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

I would bring him back based on the way he finished last year. Looks to have made a good adjustment to the system.

First 12 games

Tackles 16
    Sacks    2

Last 4 games

Tackles 18
    Sacks 3

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]LATE LAST SEASON HE WAS SHOWING PROGRESS AGAINST THE RUN AND GETTING SOME PRESSUREON THE OPPOSINGQ.B.
    Posted by kebbe[/QUOTE]

Late in the season like in the playoff game against Baltimore? The guy is done - move on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

In Response to Re: Decision on Burgess likely within a week : Late in the season like in the playoff game against Baltimore? The guy is done - move on.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

Who on the entire roster showed up for the Baltimore game? 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts