Defense creates 4 sacks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Defense creates 4 sacks

Top-unit on defense produces four sacks. After a preseason opener in which the pass rush wasn’t as disruptive as desired, the Patriots swarmed against the Buccaneers, with the tone set by middle linebacker Brandon Spikes on the first play as he charged downhill and steamrolled running back Doug Martin to register a sack. Spikes added a second sack on the Buccaneers’ second drive, while ends Chandler Jones (nice rush against left tackle Donald Penn in which he got low and pushed Penn back) and Rob Ninkovich added sacks. If the pass rush can perform like that during the season, the Patriots’ D could be dangerous. - Reiss

If there was one thing I was looking for, this was it...  Hopefully this will become a continuing trend.  

Collins is like a safety at the LB spot - he cleans plays up real quick in the intermediate part.

Pass rush with coverage from Collins/Fletcher in the middle - and our secondary playing well and healthy is going to be great.

Is this the first sign of a difference making D?  It's only preseason but this is the most encouraging thing I have seen from the D in like 5 years.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: Defense creates 4 sacks

Totally agree! Seeing the D potential is exciting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I liked what I saw from Collins, I think he is going to help. He played well at linebacker tonight in coverage and made some decent reads to get to the ball carrier. I'd like to see him pass rush a little more because I'm not in love with what I've seen from Bennard.

I think they have to find a way to keep Buchanon, he looks fast, big, flexible...nice talent. I'd give Bequette the boot - you can find 280 pound ends that can't pass rush or get off blocks anywhere. If I had to choose between Buchanon and Francis, I'd pick Buchanon, Francis hasn't done much either. Cunningham is probably a goner. I'd consider trading one of our running backs for a defensive tackle, but no one is going to do that...we'd end up with the defensive tackle version of Bequette.

I think if Dennard comes back (isn't suspended) he will make our secondary better, along with Talib. Speaking of Talib, I didn't like seeing him covering kickoffs on special teams - he's our best corner and a big part of our pass defense...there's got to be somebody else we can use. The safeties were a disappointment to watch tonight in my opinion. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Top-unit on defense produces four sacks. After a preseason opener in which the pass rush wasn’t as disruptive as desired, the Patriots swarmed against the Buccaneers, with the tone set by middle linebacker Brandon Spikes on the first play as he charged downhill and steamrolled running back Doug Martin to register a sack. Spikes added a second sack on the Buccaneers’ second drive, while ends Chandler Jones (nice rush against left tackle Donald Penn in which he got low and pushed Penn back) and Rob Ninkovich added sacks. If the pass rush can perform like that during the season, the Patriots’ D could be dangerous. - Reiss

If there was one thing I was looking for, this was it...  Hopefully this will become a continuing trend.  

Collins is like a safety at the LB spot - he cleans plays up real quick in the intermediate part.

Pass rush with coverage from Collins/Fletcher in the middle - and our secondary playing well and healthy is going to be great.

Is this the first sign of a difference making D?  It's only preseason but this is the most encouraging thing I have seen from the D in like 5 years.  

Tommy Kelly!

With him and Vince in the middle our D-line commands a double team on more then just VW. Our ends/LBers are free to beat one man. This is the closest D-line we've had to our dynasty line of Seymour,Washington(VW later), and Warren.

Plus lets face it, this D has been young. They now have had a few years to develop. Spikes and Nink playing well, with Hightower and Jones making a 2nd year jump. With Mayo leading the LB core this front 7 should be lethal this year. Nothing helps a secondary like a front 7 wreaking havoc.

Anyway, it was just a qtr, and the Bucs didn't have one of the best linemen in the league but our guys looked mean out there!

Hey, you think Doug Martin would be eager to pick up Chandler Jones on a block again? Ouch, hope he's ok.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

mthurl

Speaking of Talib, I didn't like seeing him covering kickoffs on special teams - he's our best corner and a big part of our pass defense...there's got to be somebody else we can use. The safeties were a disappointment to watch tonight in my opinion. 

[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice that but I agree 100%... one of those safeties that can't play safety should do the trick.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I liked what I saw from Collins, I think he is going to help. He played well at linebacker tonight in coverage and made some decent reads to get to the ball carrier. I'd like to see him pass rush a little more because I'm not in love with what I've seen from Bennard.

I think they have to find a way to keep Buchanon, he looks fast, big, flexible...nice talent. I'd give Bequette the boot - you can find 280 pound ends that can't pass rush or get off blocks anywhere. If I had to choose between Buchanon and Francis, I'd pick Buchanon, Francis hasn't done much either. Cunningham is probably a goner. I'd consider trading one of our running backs for a defensive tackle, but no one is going to do that...we'd end up with the defensive tackle version of Bequette.

I think if Dennard comes back (isn't suspended) he will make our secondary better, along with Talib. Speaking of Talib, I didn't like seeing him covering kickoffs on special teams - he's our best corner and a big part of our pass defense...there's got to be somebody else we can use. The safeties were a disappointment to watch tonight in my opinion. 

Agree on the whole. Collins was sticking wr's out there. The guy looks special to me. I think BB is working him in different spots for development. He rushed the QB a few time slast year. Every time I saw him he was running in stride with a pass catcher or at the point of the play. Reaction speed is incredible for a LB. He looks like an over grown safety. Adrian Wilson if you will.

Becquette has been disappointing and he has to be along shot to make this team. I haven't seen enough of Francis or JC to say Buch over them, but I agree he moved well today.

What about Forston? I thought he played a good game despite Peyton Hillis running well on us. I think he makes this team, but I also want D-line depth. It is imo a real concern given Tommy and VW's age. Although they have both played 16 games for 5 years now! Knock on wood.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

What about Forston? I thought he played a good game despite Peyton Hillis running well on us. I think he makes this team, but I also want D-line depth. It is imo a real concern given Tommy and VW's age. Although they have both played 16 games for 5 years now! Knock on wood.

You're right on.  I think Forston showed a lot out there and he was the one who blew up the run play behind the line.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

You're right on.  I think Forston showed a lot out there and he was the one who blew up the run play behind the line.  

I just watched Tampa's opening kick return, the 50 yarder. Only 1 man chased him down and saved the td(unless Ghost made the tackle...not likely) that man was the old, washed up, slow, 33 year old physical freak of nature, 6'3 235 pound 5 time pro bowl starting strong safety Adrian "Incredible Hulk" Wilson.

Love that he plays ST. BB motto, like or not is everybody plays ST. Talib included.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Chandler Jones will have more than 10 sacks this season, if you take a look in the tape, you can see wilfork and kelly doubled, this will be great to help our DE and LB to get the qb.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

I just watched Tampa's opening kick return, the 50 yarder. Only 1 man chased him down and saved the td(unless Ghost made the tackle...not likely) that man was the old, washed up, slow, 33 year old physical freak of nature, 6'3 235 pound 5 time pro bowl starting strong safety Adrian "Incredible Hulk" Wilson.

Love that he plays ST. BB motto, like or not is everybody plays ST. Talib included.

Ok, then I wasn't seeing things? Because I thought I saw that too, but I thought to myself, that can't be Wilson out there??

I liked Forston too, he's not the big ugly 34 type I'm used to with this team, but he looks pretty talented. I would be surprised if they didn't go out and pick up someone else though. Forston will make the team though in my opinion - he hangs out at Wilfork's house, he seems to of bought into Wilfork's work ethic...I hope he turns into something. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

I'm optimistic about this pass rush, but cautiously so.  I think it was last year, same thing happened: preseason game against the Bucs, our pass rush looks great.  I don't know if it was the joint practices, the Bucs not being properly prepared, or something else, but the Patriots first team D was sacking/hurrying Freeman on pretty much every down.  (Do other people know which game I'm talking about?)  Then we got to the regular season and, unless you ask... uh... some posters here.... our D was not so spectacular.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

I agree. However, we saw the rush in preseason last year as well and then when the season started it was gone. To me its play calling - we have the players to get after the QB. When Jones and Spikes are allowed to play down hill they are very good.

Mayo is also pretty good when he stunts. Would love to see more of it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This first team defense is plain nasty, especially considering McCourty and Armstead aren't there and A Wilson is just getting some light preseason work in.  The big improvement came in the center, Kelly is huge.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

optimistically good, but too early to tell if it will be a lasting thing. last pre-season looked good too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

[QUOTE]

Decided to sign in as "Bungalow Bill" today, huh, Bustchise?

What time does the shift at the theater start today?

[/QUOTE]

Queenie, what did you think of Tavon shrimpy arms Wilson last night? Bwhahaha

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

That was 2 years ago in 2011 when BB switched to the 4-3.

Sorry, yes, you're right.  I remember now Carter showing up big in that game.

Sections
Shortcuts