defense must carry this team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

defense must carry this team

Think about the fact that in key games, in recent years, the offense has not been able to generate alot (30+) points.  A SB birth depends on our D getting turnovers, pics, etc.  I am nervous about the Ravens, but hey, maybe we shouldn't be?  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

Re: defense must carry this team

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ultpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Think about the fact that in key games, in recent years, the offense has not been able to generate alot (30+) points.  A SB birth depends on our D getting turnovers, pics, etc.  I am nervous about the Ravens, but hey, maybe we shouldn't be?  

[/QUOTE]

Nice troll work for a 1st post.  

No troll and no joke!  By key games I mean the last 2 super bowls (under 20 points - though I know they were playing a great  defensive team).  All I'm saying is that if they were to potentially play SF, they will need to be even better on Defense.

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I thought this was one of the best defensive showings in a while, especially in the first half.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought this was one of the best defensive showings in a while, especially in the first half.

[/QUOTE]

+1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice troll work for a 1st post.  

No troll and no joke!  By key games I mean the last 2 super bowls (under 20 points - though I know they were playing a great  defensive team).  All I'm saying is that if they were to potentially play SF, they will need to be even better on Defense.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hey ultpat,
    dont defend your comments.

if people are haters, just respond to those who have something to contribute.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I thought that this game was going to be a nail biter.  The Texans are a very sound football team and with the prior beating still fresh on their minds they were coming to Foxboro with something to prove. 

Special teams took a vacation this game and it added a little excitement at times.  But the defense did well.  No quick scores.  Houston had to earn it and that's a very talented offense they have. 

Baltimore is not as good as the Texans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

thought the D played fantastic with the exceptions of a couple lulls. Some of those points the Texans put up you can attribute to great field positon due to horrible ST's play. The D did great to hold them to 3 to start the game!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

I think defense was pretty good today. Special teams need a boot up the backside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Brad34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think defense was pretty good today. Special teams need a boot up the backside.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums it up in my opinion.  Holding the Texans to a FG after that opening kick-off return was huge.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

thought the D played fantastic with the exceptions of a couple lulls. Some of those points the Texans put up you can attribute to great field positon due to horrible ST's play. The D did great to hold them to 3 to start the game!

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.   What were there, 17 points off scored off returns with a short field?  

And the offense put up 41 points on what is supposed to be a good defense.

With the glaring exception of special teams, an an excellent team performance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

The D played great yesterday. When you really think about, given Hou had great field position on 3 returns and that they went prevent in the 4th they didn't really give up all that many points. I'd like to see them close out the half better but overall they had a very solid day

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Gee, let me see. We beat them last year with a worse running game and a worse defense. And their defense is a shadow of what it was last year.

The only thing I'm afraid of is us playing stupid. Both teams playing well means a relatively comfortable win for us. 28 - 20 ish.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gee, let me see. We beat them last year with a worse running game and a worse defense. And their defense is a shadow of what it was last year.

The only thing I'm afraid of is us playing stupid. Both teams playing well means a relatively comfortable win for us. 28 - 20 ish.

[/QUOTE]

It's one thing about Balt is they always make it a game and Flacco always has a great game. But, I agree. With a stronger D and running game this year we should be able to take them with a better then a TD lead. It's going to be a nail bitter until the 4th though, just because that's how it always is against Balt for some reason

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

If it turns out to be NE-SF New England has to find a way to contain Kapernick, I know GB has a lousy defense but a QB rushing for 181 yards is totally unacceptable. NE has to ball control which means keep pounding the ball to open up Brady's passing game. Turnovers will be the key. NE has to get out to an early lead and keep it. I think it will be a close game. Have to take care of Ravens first.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

All in all I thought the defense played well yesterday - certainly well enough to win - I expect the same next week. Look for our defense to be fired up to show the Ravens that they can play D too.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ANONMD08's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If it turns out to be NE-SF New England has to find a way to contain Kapernick, I know GB has a lousy defense but a QB rushing for 181 yards is totally unacceptable. NE has to ball control which means keep pounding the ball to open up Brady's passing game. Turnovers will be the key. NE has to get out to an early lead and keep it. I think it will be a close game. Have to take care of Ravens first.

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that this D took out the Kaepernick running factor, right?  Not that it matters, since Balt is the next opponent, but I think sometimes people lose sight that whatever BB's gameplan is on D, this D is VERY GOOD at playing within that gameplan, with it actually working a lot more than people realize here.

I disagree with this thread title, obviously.   The OFFENSE must carry this team in such an offensive era.

It makes no sense to say otherwise.  I know the D will be there yet again on Sunday night, but the offense also has to be consistent over the 4 quarters, pretty much like how they were last night.

This D probably allows 17 points max last night if not for 4 horrendous calls against the Pats.

[/QUOTE]

Another idiotic stinker from you.

It make no sense to NOT hold the D accountable, offensive league or not.

That is their job and some D's are actually very good which is the reason points per game HAVE NOT increased significantly over the past decade.

As long as they don't put up a 80+ DPR stinker, the TEAM will be fine!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Playoff defenses like Baltimore and SF are going to force the offense to punt more than we'd like, so the D needs to step up too and force the other team to punt just as much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

In response to garytx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought that this game was going to be a nail biter.  The Texans are a very sound football team and with the prior beating still fresh on their minds they were coming to Foxboro with something to prove. 

Special teams took a vacation this game and it added a little excitement at times.  But the defense did well.  No quick scores.  Houston had to earn it and that's a very talented offense they have. 

Baltimore is not as good as the Texans.

[/QUOTE]

On paper you may be right, but since they don't play on paper I have to diisagree with Baltimore not as good.   Baltimore has been playing sound ball and are not afraid to play NE.  Houston played poorly down the stretch and played like they were afraid.  Can the Pats blow out the Ravens, sure but I'd expect a tougher game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

D was good to gr8.

The goal line stands were fab. 

hus settled for field goal which helped turn the game around. 

Ninko is on the money.

at least 2 defenders to stop "My cousin Vinnie"

hus fumbled and the refs bailed em out.

again the goal line stand and hus did NOT cross the goal line.

It was called a TD  but not honest by the refs

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

[/QUOTE]

Do you think Baltimore is running on fumes on D at this point? Two hugely emotional games, 1 the longest playoff game in NFL history?

I don't think Houston played afraid last night at all. The kick off returns were big for them, but they don't match up that well with NE. Not many teams do. Denver doesn't, Houston doesn't and Baltimore actually doesn't.

[/QUOTE]

Actually Baltimore caught a break playing on Saturday not Sunday, so they have that extra day to recover, and, quite frankly, the game against Indy (24-9 at home) wasn't that emotional.  True they are a veteran team that plays on emotions, but that makes them dangerous.  They ride the waves of game. The Pats are a better team, but if they give the Ravens an opportunity, through miscues etc., the Ravens have the ability to capitalize.  I don't think the same can be said of the Texans. 

Maybe "afraid" was the wrong word, but Houston completely unravelled after the first meeting and never fully recovered down the stretch.  Bill, Tom, Vince and the rest of the boys were definitely in their heads.  If it weren't for kick returns (yes, we played the better Manning this week) this would have been a bigger blowout than the last time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

C'mon man. we just whipped the texans, their defense is younger and faster than the crows. the crows are toast this weekend

TB puts on another clinic

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

The Ravens won't lie down like the Texans, even if the Pats do jump out to a big lead, this has to be a 60 minute game by the Pats. Suggs wasn't here for the first matchup and he has had some big games against them, they have to keeep him contained, and I think they should try to use Vereen against Ray Lewis in the passing game early and often. The guy is a heck of a leader and competetor, but he can't run with somebody that fast.

Sections
Shortcuts