Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?

^ I believe the correct words that you're looking for are:

"Ehhh, Let's change the subject around a bit, o'kay?"

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogi3333. Show yogi3333's posts

Truth be told, the Defense actually did it's job to start the SB getting the Giants off the field. The Offense immediately turned the ball over. Nature of the game, but you wonder if the Pats had been able to sustain that first drive and get into a rhythm, let the Defense rest, if the outcome would have changed.

Even in the last quarter, again the Offense couldn't convert or take time off the clock stringing out the Defense. So for all the talk about the D needing to step up, (and I know Gronk being hurt was a factor), it was weaknesses in the Offense in the RB and WR positions that denied the Pats a trophy. 

I do think the D will be greatly improved and more in synch, more aggressive. But I hope the addition of a true FB and Shanks indicates that the Pats will have the ability to ground it out in the trenches and move the chains at playoff time.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think if one takes off the rose colored glasses, there is really a flawed defense that thru sheer BB genius, went to the SB last year. In spite of the drafting spots allotted to the defense, is there any pro bowl talent?
    One could argue this defense has;

-a lot of wear and tear- Wilfork. Chung. Warren
    -question marks-McCourt. Ras. Spikes (mental and physical)
    -Average talent/over achievers. Love. Ninko. Gregory. Fanene.
    -prime time-Mayo
    -potential-Hightower, Chandler, Cunningham
    -a bunch of guys better suited for special teams/on the roster bubble

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Laz, I wrote a nasty gram back but I've decided since its finally football season and I don't really feel like starting it off with an internet argument I'll simply say this. If anyone wants to add up the offensive and defensive picks over the last 6 years, or over any other period they can at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm. I have found no advantage in offense. Special teams were counted as neither offense or defense. 2006-2011. 28 offense picks 28 defense picks 1st and 2nds were as stated before.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?:
    [QUOTE]Two of the best teams in the NFL last year, Green Bay and New England had the 32nd and 31st ranked passing defenses. Now neither of them won the super bowl but guess what? The 29th ranked passing defense did! That stat is obviously overrated. What the defense needs to improve on is getting 3rd down stops and making positive plays at critical times in the game.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

wow. I'm suprised. Interesting tidbit of info.  However, I'd still like to think that an improved DL/LB  play might help mask/cover up our secondary coverage problems AND get us off the field quicker....lolLaughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Hey Pinhead Babe, whats with all the insults?

How old are you, 12?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]Truth be told, the Defense actually did it's job to start the SB getting the Giants off the field. The Offense immediately turned the ball over. Nature of the game, but you wonder if the Pats had been able to sustain that first drive and get into a rhythm, let the Defense rest, if the outcome would have changed. Even in the last quarter, again the Offense couldn't convert or take time off the clock stringing out the Defense. So for all the talk about the D needing to step up, (and I know Gronk being hurt was a factor), it was weaknesses in the Offense in the RB and WR positions that denied the Pats a trophy.  I do think the D will be greatly improved and more in synch, more aggressive. But I hope the addition of a true FB and Shanks indicates that the Pats will have the ability to ground it out in the trenches and move the chains at playoff time.  
    Posted by yogi3333[/QUOTE]

there was a post several weeks ago about how our offense actually struggled with scoring points in the first quarter.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I, for one, have no faith in Mcourty as a CB.
    I am willing to bet my mortgage payment in Vegas that Ras I Downagain will be injured before week 4.
    Hence the Pats will be faced with the same problems again on D i'm afraid. They lost Anderson (a bit overrated, I agree) Carter is a huge loss, and even if he returns, leg injuries to aging pass rushers aren't promising.
    I think its going to take Chandler a while to adjust to the NFL...considering he didnt play that much in college either. And from an eyeball test, he is really thin for a DE/OLB.
    On the flip side, I love the way Hightower plays, and how big he is. He is really solidly built like Spikes but faster.
    I think if Spikes can pull his head out of his backside, he could be a very good ILB.
    I, unlike rkarp, do not think Mayo is "prime time". Yes, he makes alot of tackles...but his tackles are 4 to 5 yards behind the defensive line...he doesnt make alot of tackles for loss. Maybe its the scheme, I dont know.

I am fearful that this team is relying on Ras I downagain and Chung to stay on the field, and history would indicate that will not be the case.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I had one person who will remain nameless, but is able to view the Pats on a regular basis, say that the surprise cut at camp very well c/b McCourt. Whether he simply became to muscular/thick, or is fighting injury, he just doesn't have the same maneuverability as he had his rookie year. Big camp for him so it seems 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]I had one person who will remain nameless, but is able to view the Pats on a regular basis, say that the surprise cut at camp very well c/b McCourt. Whether he simply became to muscular/thick, or is fighting injury, he just doesn't have the same maneuverability as he had his rookie year. Big camp for him so it seems 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

funny.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Pinhead Babe, whats with all the insults? How old are you, 12?
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

I never insult anybody. I inform morons when they are being a moron, moron.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Truth be told, the Defense actually did it's job to start the SB getting the Giants off the field. The Offense immediately turned the ball over. Nature of the game, but you wonder if the Pats had been able to sustain that first drive and get into a rhythm, let the Defense rest, if the outcome would have changed. Even in the last quarter, again the Offense couldn't convert or take time off the clock stringing out the Defense. So for all the talk about the D needing to step up, (and I know Gronk being hurt was a factor), it was weaknesses in the Offense in the RB and WR positions that denied the Pats a trophy.  I do think the D will be greatly improved and more in synch, more aggressive. But I hope the addition of a true FB and Shanks indicates that the Pats will have the ability to ground it out in the trenches and move the chains at playoff time.  
    Posted by yogi3333[/QUOTE]

Do you consider a 12 man penalty early negating a turnover and allowing a TD "doing their job"?

I would call that mickey mouse defense and by far the absolute worst blunder in the game.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year? : I don't know having the Giants in a 3rd and 7 in the 4th qtr and forcing and incomplete pass to produce your 1st 3 and out only to be called for an offside to sustain the drive might rival your example.
    Posted by jri37[/QUOTE]

Good point. That is a strong contender as well. Either certainly renders the safety or INT relatively insignificant. But the 12 man had absolutely nothing to do with play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I had one person who will remain nameless, but is able to view the Pats on a regular basis, say that the surprise cut at camp very well c/b McCourt. Whether he simply became to muscular/thick, or is fighting injury, he just doesn't have the same maneuverability as he had his rookie year. Big camp for him so it seems 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

That would be a surprise indeed.  Is he looking worse than last year in OTAs and camp this year?  Or is this based on his performance last year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Not that I want to offer you any good advice, but give that source what ever odds they want to get that bet. He won't because he is gravely uninformed. BS WALKS!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year? : That would be a surprise indeed.  Is he looking worse than last year in OTAs and camp this year?  Or is this based on his performance last year? Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE] I was not in attendance, but I was told he is still not moving well at all. Supposedly, he is healthy, but you know it's the Pats, so no one knows for sure

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I, for one, have no faith in Mcourty as a CB. I am willing to bet my mortgage payment in Vegas that Ras I Downagain will be injured before week 4. Hence the Pats will be faced with the same problems again on D i'm afraid. They lost Anderson (a bit overrated, I agree) Carter is a huge loss, and even if he returns, leg injuries to aging pass rushers aren't promising. I think its going to take Chandler a while to adjust to the NFL...considering he didnt play that much in college either. And from an eyeball test, he is really thin for a DE/OLB. On the flip side, I love the way Hightower plays, and how big he is. He is really solidly built like Spikes but faster. I think if Spikes can pull his head out of his backside, he could be a very good ILB. I, unlike rkarp, do not think Mayo is "prime time". Yes, he makes alot of tackles...but his tackles are 4 to 5 yards behind the defensive line...he doesnt make alot of tackles for loss. Maybe its the scheme, I dont know. I am fearful that this team is relying on Ras I downagain and Chung to stay on the field, and history would indicate that will not be the case.

"I am willing to bet my mortgage payment in Vegas that Ras I Downagain will be injured before week 4."

lets look you up week 4 eh?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I, for one, have no faith in Mcourty as a CB. I am willing to bet my mortgage payment in Vegas that Ras I Downagain will be injured before week 4. Hence the Pats will be faced with the same problems again on D i'm afraid. They lost Anderson (a bit overrated, I agree) Carter is a huge loss, and even if he returns, leg injuries to aging pass rushers aren't promising. I think its going to take Chandler a while to adjust to the NFL...considering he didnt play that much in college either. And from an eyeball test, he is really thin for a DE/OLB. On the flip side, I love the way Hightower plays, and how big he is. He is really solidly built like Spikes but faster. I think if Spikes can pull his head out of his backside, he could be a very good ILB. I, unlike rkarp, do not think Mayo is "prime time". Yes, he makes alot of tackles...but his tackles are 4 to 5 yards behind the defensive line...he doesnt make alot of tackles for loss. Maybe its the scheme, I dont know. I am fearful that this team is relying on Ras I downagain and Chung to stay on the field, and history would indicate that will not be the case.

re "but his tackles are 4 to 5 yards behind the defensive line...he doesnt make alot of tackles for loss."

thats one of my observations as well.

with better players around him , we'll see if he is capable of changing that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, improving the defense is the highest priority.  BB's draft and offseason moves seem to confirm that.  The second highest priority was getting more diversity in the receiving corp.  Hence the acquisition of Lloyd, Gaffney, and Stallworth.  This is pretty consistent with what many of us have been saying since the middle of last season, though there's a vocal minority on this board that thinks the defense plays well, that Brady's attitude is a problem, and that the running game (and offensive philosophy) should be the biggest priority.  So far, BB's moves seem to suggest that he agrees with those who think improving the defense is key. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Over the past several years, is there really any doubt that the Achilles heal of this team has been it's pass defense? The question is, has BB adequately addressed the problem? Top draft picks Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower alone should make the "D" better. How much better will depend on whether CB Devin McCourty returns to form, whether CB Ras-I Dowling is finally healthy, whether SS Patrick Chung can stay healthy, and whether CB Sterling Moore continues to improve.

I expect that the Pats will eventually sign DE Andre Carter. LB Bobby Carpenter has the size that BB covets in his LBs, and may prove to be a solid acquisition. DE/DT Jonathan Fanene should provide for the DL what Mike Wright used to, before he suffered that awful career ending head injury. Though Steve Gregory will never be a pro-bowler, he should help upgrade the secondary.

As for the rookies, Jones and Hightower aside, whatever the Pats can get out of the remainder of their 2012 "defensive side of the ball" draft class will be gravy. Both FS Tavon Wilson and DE/OLB Jake Bequette should make the team. But, who knows whether they can play?    

There's reason to be optimistic about the "D". The potential for improvement is there. Believe it or not, my biggest concern going into 2012 is the OL...where stalwarts Logan Mankins and Sebastien Vollmer are recovering from serious injuries, and 35 year old Brian Waters appears to still be considering retirement.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year? :      Over the past several years, is there really any doubt that the Achilles heal of this team has been it's pass defense? The question is, has BB adequately addressed the problem? The additions of top draft choices Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower alone should make the "D" better. How much better will depend on whether CB Devin McCourty returns to form, whether CB Ras-I Dowling is finally healthy, whether SS Patrick Chung can stay healthy, and whether CB Sterling Moore continues to improve.      I expect that the Pats will eventually sign DE Andre Carter. LB Bobby Carpenter has the size that BB covets in his LBs, and may prove to be a solid acquisition. DE/DT Jonathan Fanene should provide for the DL what Mike Wright used to, before he suffered that awful career ending head injury. Though Steve Gregory will never be a pro-bowler, he should help upgrade the secondary.      As for the rookies, Jones and Hightower aside, whatever the Pats can get out of the remainder of their 2012 "defensive side of the ball" draft class will be gravy. Both FS Tavon Wilson and DE/OLB Jake Bequette should make the team. But, who knows whether they can play?          There's reason to be optimistic about the "D". The potential for improvement is there. Believe it or not, my biggest concern going into 2012 is the OL...where stalwarts Logan Mankins and Sebastien Vollmer are recovering from serious injuries, and 35 year old Brian Waters appears to still be considering retirement.   
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

if waters was contemplating retirement, he would have decided the end of the offseason i believe

Sections
Shortcuts