Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1061148541&position=1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?

Yeah, improving the defense is the highest priority.  BB's draft and offseason moves seem to confirm that.  The second highest priority was getting more diversity in the receiving corp.  Hence the acquisition of Lloyd, Gaffney, and Stallworth. 

This is pretty consistent with what many of us have been saying since the middle of last season, though there's a vocal minority on this board that thinks the defense plays well, that Brady's attitude is a problem, and that the running game (and offensive philosophy) should be the biggest priority. 

So far, BB's moves seem to suggest that he agrees with those who think improving the defense is key. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, improving the defense is the highest priority.  BB's draft and offseason moves seem to confirm that.  The second highest priority was getting more diversity in the receiving corp.  Hence the acquisition of Lloyd, Gaffney, and Stallworth.  This is pretty consistent with what many of us have been saying since the middle of last season, though there's a vocal minority on this board that thinks the defense plays well, that Brady's attitude is a problem, and that the running game (and offensive philosophy) should be the biggest priority.  So far, BB's moves seem to suggest that he agrees with those who think improving the defense is key. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, BB's been working on the D for some time now - with debatable success. Maybe a better question is if we have enough big-time playmakers on D? Yeah, we got Wilfork - but that's it.

Although Mayo is a solid, consistent tackler - I'm not sure if he's a timely playmaker. Not sure if its due to ability (or lack thereof) or the way he's used.

Plus, BB and defensive coordinator need to do better job of defensive play calling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Still this D was 15th in points allowed and should be able to improve on that. Count me as one of those fans who hope that Hightower and Jones become impact players. But yeah the only legit D player every team would want is Fork.

I expect Lloyd to emerge as a deep threat and open things up a little for Welker, Hernandez and Gronk.

As such I am cautiously optimistic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

After Reche caldwell was our #1 receiver in 2006 we were literally screaming for more offense, more weapons for Brady( Edit: myself included) It has been a continued theme from 06-2011. Top picks in the draft on offense like Maroney and Chad Jackson, aqcuire top talented offensive weapons like randy Moss, Welker, and Donte Stalworth, draft top rated TE's like gronk and Hern, draft 2 high RB's in ridley and Vareen. Draft 1st, and 2nd rd tackles. What has that offensive team building method produced?

Then as our offense has scored over 30 ppg on average in the regular season our defense has dropped off to around the middle of the pack. But, we blame a defense that has become 2nd fiddle to the building up of the offense for our post season failures?

Amazing.

The defense of the last 4 years was not going to win us a championship. However our offense was talented enough(as we see by the 35 ppg they scored) to win us one....they didn't.

When you lose the core foundation of a great defense in Bruschi, Rodney, Vrabel, and Seymour(amongst others) it takes time and effort to re-build. We didn't invest enough of either if you ask me. BB adjusted to the recent rule changes/emphasis on passing and tried to put the best offensive team on the field he could.

That offense has scored 15.5 ppg in 2 SB's since the fundamental change in philosophy from the dynasty era defensive lead teams to the 07-11 offensive lead teams. One philosophy lead us to 3 SB's in 4 years while the other philosophy lead us to 2 SB losses in 5 years.... but we blame the defense for the recent results?

Huh?

Now BB finally goes back to focusing on drafting highly rated defensive players in the 1st round and  acquiring defensive FA's from all over. I think he has come full circle and i think the offense will become a tad more conservative, like they should have been on the 2nd to last drive in the SB. They will still score a ton of points as they are LOADED on talent, but I think/hope that McD will call a complimentary game plan to help out with field position and TOP, which will without argument increase defensive efficiency.

Yes the defense needs to step up, especially since we have now for the 1st time in quite a while invested top draft picks, as well as most of the draft, tons of FA's and a ton of cash into that side of the ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?": [QUOTE]After Reche caldwell was our #1 receiver in 2006 we were literally screaming for more offense, more weapons for Brady( Edit: myself included ) It has been a continued theme from 06-2011. Top picks in the draft on offense like Maroney and Chad Jackson, aqcuire top talented offensive weapons like randy Moss, Welker, and Donte Stalworth, draft top rated TE's like gronk and Hern, draft 2 high RB's in ridley and Vareen. Draft 1st, and 2nd rd tackles. What has that offensive team building method produced? Then as our offense has scored over 30 ppg on average in the regular season our defense has dropped off to around the middle of the pack. But, we blame a defense that has become 2nd fiddle to the building up of the offense for our post season failures? Amazing. The defense of the last 4 years was not going to win us a championship. However our offense was talented enough(as we see by the 35 ppg they scored) to win us one....they didn't. When you lose the core foundation of a great defense in Bruschi, Rodney, Vrabel, and Seymour(amongst others) it takes time and effort to re-build. We didn't invest enough of either if you ask me. BB adjusted to the recent rule changes/emphasis on passing and tried to put the best offensive team on the field he could. That offense has scored 15.5 ppg in 2 SB's since the fundamental change in philosophy from the dynasty era defensive lead teams to the 07-11 offensive lead teams. One philosophy lead us to 3 SB's in 4 years while the other philosophy lead us to 2 SB losses in 5 years.... but we blame the defense for the recent results? Huh?   Now BB finally goes back to focusing on drafting highly rated defensive players in the 1st round and  acquiring defensive FA's from all over. I think he has come full circle and i think the offense will become a tad more conservative, like they should have been on the 2nd to last drive in the SB. They will still score a ton of points as they are LOADED on talent, but I think/hope that McD will call a complimentary game plan to help out with field position and TOP, which will without argument increase defensive efficiency. Yes the defense needs to step up, especially since we have now for the 1st time in quite a while invested top draft picks, as well as most of the draft, tons of FA's and a ton of cash into that side of the ball. Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE] Since 2006, not counting 2012: 3 first rounders on defense, 2 on offense 6 second rounders on defense, 4 on offense So, no that doesn't add up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't think BB is wedded to any particular philosophy.  In fact, in my opinion, the genius of BB is that he is flexible in his schemes and is willing to adjust schemes to the players he has and to the players he can get.  I don't think he focuses on either offense or defense.  I think he looks at the overall team and decides given the players, I currently have, here is the offensive and defensive schemes that will work best and complement each other best.  Then he says, what additional players should I bring in to fill out the roster appropriately based on these schemes . . . or what players would I need to bring in in order to be able to alter the schemes to be more effective?  It's a very iterative process, where he's looking at the whole team and how players and schemes on both offense and defense complement each other.   The approach Champ describes is much more linear and not really as effective in a league where you have limited draft picks and a salary cap.  Many teams seem to try to do it in the fashion Champ describes, but they never seem to have all the pieces of the puzzle filled in.  Most teams have a final picture in mind and keep trying to find all the pieces to finish the picture.  BB looks at the pieces and asks, "what picture can I create with these pieces? And what additional pieces would I need to pick up to make it a complete picture?"  It's a much more complex way of solving problems . . . and much more effective too, because it's constantly able to morph to fit current realities.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

McCourty is, arguably, the most important piece of the Patriots. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

This subject will be the "no brainer" of this season.  If I had anything to ask about the D, it would be this:  "Can you guys get more 3 and outs and make a defensive stop in a critical game at the end consistently?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]McCourty is, arguably, the most important piece of the Patriots. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Due to his solid performance his first year, and a sub-par performance his second year possibly explained by injury - I think it's reasonable to give him a "pass" for his second year. That being said, I think the tolerance for poor performance will be a lot lower assuming he is coming into camp healthy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]Still this D was 15th in points allowed and should be able to improve on that. Count me as one of those fans who hope that Hightower and Jones become impact players. But yeah the only legit D player every team would want is Fork. I expect Lloyd to emerge as a deep threat and open things up a little for Welker, Hernandez and Gronk. As such I am cautiously optimistic.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

me too! As some say, the proof is in the pudding.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE] What has that offensive team building method produced? Then as our offense has scored over 30 ppg on average in the regular season our defense has dropped off to around the middle of the pack. But, we blame a defense that has become 2nd fiddle to the building up of the offense for our post season failures? Amazing. The defense of the last 4 years was not going to win us a championship. However our offense was talented enough(as we see by the 35 ppg they scored) to win us one....they didn't. When you lose the core foundation of a great defense in Bruschi, Rodney, Vrabel, and Seymour(amongst others) it takes time and effort to re-build. We didn't invest enough of either if you ask me. BB adjusted to the recent rule changes/emphasis on passing and tried to put the best offensive team on the field he could. That offense has scored 15.5 ppg in 2 SB's since the fundamental change in philosophy from the dynasty era defensive lead teams to the 07-11 offensive lead teams. One philosophy lead us to 3 SB's in 4 years while the other philosophy lead us to 2 SB losses in 5 years.... but we blame the defense for the recent results? Huh?   Now BB finally goes back to focusing on drafting highly rated defensive players in the 1st round and  acquiring defensive FA's from all over. I think he has come full circle and i think the offense will become a tad more conservative, like they should have been on the 2nd to last drive in the SB. They will still score a ton of points as they are LOADED on talent, but I think/hope that McD will call a complimentary game plan to help out with field position and TOP, which will without argument increase defensive efficiency. Yes the defense needs to step up, especially since we have now for the 1st time in quite a while invested top draft picks, as well as most of the draft, tons of FA's and a ton of cash into that side of the ball.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

The re-tooling of the offense - produced a high octane team like the Colts of old. The results are uncannily similar to the Colts early days with Manning.

The re-tooling of the defense has been going on for a while now. But noone is "blaming" the defense for the team's lack of success in recent SB appearances. My analogy is this.  The Patriots used to be the Colts' kryptonite.  The Patriots became the Colts of old, and the NY Giants became the Patriots' kryptonite.

I would agree we still have a high octane passing offense.  Hopefully, McD will keep opponents off balance with this offensive roster. Defensively, yeah - they gotta step up their game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Two of the best teams in the NFL last year, Green Bay and New England had the 32nd and 31st ranked passing defenses. Now neither of them won the super bowl but guess what? The 29th ranked passing defense did! That stat is obviously overrated.

What the defense needs to improve on is getting 3rd down stops and making positive plays at critical times in the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]This subject will be the "no brainer" of this season.  If I had anything to ask about the D, it would be this:  "Can you guys get more 3 and outs and make a defensive stop in a critical game at the end consistently?"
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping they get very aggressive between the 40s....lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year?": Since 2006, not counting 2012: 3 first rounders on defense, 2 on offense 6 second rounders on defense, 4 on offense So, no that doesn't add up.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Wow, looks like you really did your homework on this one.

Of course you could also look at it like this...

Offensive additions in FA or top 3 rounds of draft since 2007...

Randy Moss
    Wes Welker
    Donte Stalworth
    jabar Gaffney
    Sammy Morris
    Fred Jackson
    Rob Gronkowski
    Aaron hernandez...2nd rd talent who fell to 4rth 
    Sebastian Volmer
    Nate Solder
    Ryan Mallet
    Taylor Price
    Brandon tate
    BJGE
    Steven Ridley
    Shane Vareen
    Danny Woodhead
    Marcus Cannon 1-2nd rd talent that fell to 5th
    Chad Johnson
    Brian waters

I only see Mallet and Price as non starters. Looks like Cannon will start this year.

but maybe your right and we have not built this team more around the offensive side of the ball, because of a bunch of 2nd rd CB's we drafted that skew your statistic in favor of the defense. Got it.

Your 1 line sarcastic responses are running rampant as of late? Just bored or nothing to bring to the table?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In BB we trust

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think BB is wedded to any particular philosophy.  In fact, in my opinion, the genius of BB is that he is flexible in his schemes and is willing to adjust schemes to the players he has and to the players he can get.  I don't think he focuses on either offense or defense.  I think he looks at the overall team and decides given the players, I currently have, here is the offensive and defensive schemes that will work best and complement each other best.  Then he says, what additional players should I bring in to fill out the roster appropriately based on these schemes . . . or what players would I need to bring in in order to be able to alter the schemes to be more effective?  It's a very iterative process, where he's looking at the whole team and how players and schemes on both offense and defense complement each other.   The approach Champ describes is much more linear and not really as effective in a league where you have limited draft picks and a salary cap.  Many teams seem to try to do it in the fashion Champ describes, but they never seem to have all the pieces of the puzzle filled in.  Most teams have a final picture in mind and keep trying to find all the pieces to finish the picture.  BB looks at the pieces and asks, "what picture can I create with these pieces? And what additional pieces would I need to pick up to make it a complete picture?"  It's a much more complex way of solving problems . . . and much more effective too, because it's constantly able to morph to fit current realities.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

spot on Prolate!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

2006-2012 NE Patriots Draft Breakdown

2005 Draft- 4 Offense/3 Defense
    2006 Draft- 7 Offense(1st 6 Selections)/3 Defense(1st one taken in Rd 6)
    2007 Draft- 5 Defense/4 Offense + 2 Offense (Moss & Welker)=6 Offense (and If you'd like to make it 7 Offense given the fact that NE spent 2 Draft selections for Wes, that's o.k. too- But, we move up and down elsewhere for actual draft trades for rookie draftees themselves, so in my eyes, No <RE: additional selections />; But at least on this, it goes without saying that NE selected 2 more Offensive Players using 2 Draft Picks (again=AT least); An also mention are the numerous draft selections NE used on an exceptionally high number of Vet Trades for Offensive skilled players- TB's TE, Philly's WR, Was's WR, and I believe 1 more WR from Oakland...NONE of these <far more O than D guys> I will be counting...But RE: Moss & Wes?  D#mn right, I'll be allocating just 2 spots on the O side for them- WW will be a 2nd Rder & Moss will be a 4th Rder-  Again, even this little is- and ends up being VERY favorable to the O side <as opposed to the fuller reality here>
    2008 Draft- 1 Offense/6 Defense {note: worse draft in history on both sides- Mayo, Wheatley, Crable, O'Connel, Wilhite, Slater, Ruud}
    2009 Draft- 6 Offense/6 Defense
    2010 Draft- 6 Offense/6 Defense {note: Gave Defense, the Punter in Mesko right here, just as I gave O, the Kicker in Ghost in a previous draft's tally} 
    2011 Draft- 6 Offense/3 Defense
    ~~
    2012 Draft- 1 Offense/6 Defense
    NOTE: The Question at hand was, "Prior to this Draft, Bill Belichick focused a far higher number of selections/good selections on Offensive Players rather than Defensive Players."  Thus- This is not being tallied in, because this issue (O over D guys prior this season) IS what we're attempting to answer, right?  <IF you need the breakdown regardless, this past draft, it went like this- 1st Rd-2 Defense/2nd Rd-1 Defense/3rd Rd-1 Defense/6th Rd-1 Defense/7th Rd-1 Offense; 1 Defense>  
    ~~
                                              Total: End of Round Tally
    1st Rd: 3 Offense/3 Defense   -Tot: 3 Offense/3 Defense
    2nd Rd: 5 Offense/7 Defense   -Tot: 8 Offense/10 Defense
    3rd Rd: 7 Offense/3 Defense   -Tot: 15 Offense/13 Defense
    4th Rd: 5 Offense/3 Defense   -Tot: 20 Offense/16 Defense
    5th Rd: 5 Offense/3 Defense   -Tot: 25 Offense/19 Defense
    6th Rd: 5 Offense/7 Defense   -Tot: 30 Offense/26 Defense
    7th Rd: 6 Offense/6 Defense   -Tot: 36 Offense/32 Defense

+ Just as I said, I can think to at least 4 other Offensive NFL Vets which NE used at least One 4th, 5th, and/or 6th Rd Draft Selection(s) to use to trade for (besides Welker & Moss, which I tallied as 1 each <as opposed to 1 for Moss & 2 for Wes, I believe}.  I know that there's at least 1, and I believe 2 more (on top of those 4 which exclude Moss & Wes), Vet NFL Offensive Players that NE used a pick on=ALL untallied.  This WOULD make NE's Offensive-Defensive Player Acquisitions based on Draft Selections during this time span, Over a 3:2 Offense vs Defense acquisition based on Draft Picks From Rd 1 through to the end of Rd #5 during this time period.

~Also shenanigan- No, It's not "easier" to turn at full speed, while running backwards an extending to catch the ball over your head and back shoulder, VERSES- Running and glancing back over your side shoulder and catching the ball just over the top of your shoulder while still being able to run straight ahead (Why don't they teach your way in the pros?  Beats me...)

~Also pezz- No, It is not solely NE's own Defense vs whatever opposing Offense they happen to face, that determines the course of TOP.  NE's Offense vs said opposing team's defense, actually plays while the gameclock's moving as well- What they do (and ESPECIALLY when they're actually In THE Lead)- determines how much or how little time they can take off the clock- Play selection (Run vs Pass), Play Direction, Total Game management of Down and Distance (and milking it), Negating 3 and outs, and especially Turnovers (fumbles, INTs, and Safeties)- These greatly affect the final tally of NE's Offense vs Opposing Offense's Total TOP on the final boxscore...NOT solely what NE's Defense does (good grief!).

Finally prolate-   
    This?
    "Yeah, improving the defense is the highest priority.  BB's draft and offseason moves seem to confirm that.  The second highest priority was getting more diversity in the receiving corp.  Hence the acquisition of Lloyd, Gaffney, and Stallworth. 
    This is pretty consistent with what many of us have been saying since the middle of last season, though there's a vocal minority on this board that thinks the defense plays well, that Brady's attitude is a problem, and that the running game (and offensive philosophy) should be the biggest priority."

C'Monnn man...(everyone thinks far higher of you than forwarding this line of rationale).  No...some of those (me included) who have spoken out against Tom Brady's postseason performances since 2007, DO NOT...and Have NEVER believed that: What?- NE should NOT therefore attempt to improve their Defense (jesusss), and/or Brady's "Attitude" (attitude?) is an issue (neither do we feel that Belichick should release Tom Brady, if this helps), OR that NE "should make the running game THE 'Highest Priority'" (good gahd- WHAT a "babeism"- No, "bit more 'balance' in pass-run in the postseason and less obvious overemphasis on the pass to the point of being too 1 dimensional (example: When NE wins, in the postseason, they manage to get more in the neighborhood of 30 or so RB rushing attempts into the gameplan, as opposed to 20 OR Under Total Attempts)=Dat's it...hyperbole won't make your argument any more valid than it currently isn't, man).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Lazz, you're being hypersensitive.  It wasn't you I was referring to. As far as I can tell, there's only one guy on this board who thinks Brady has an attitude problem. A few criticise his postseason performance, but only one poster thinks he's a spoiled brat who demands the coaches let him pass all the time . . . and from the shotgun at that. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs To Step Up This Year? : Wow, looks like you really did your homework on this one.   Of course you could also look at it like this... Offensive additions in FA or top 3 rounds of draft since 2007... Randy Moss Wes Welker Donte Stalworth jabar Gaffney Sammy Morris Fred Jackson Rob Gronkowski Aaron hernandez...2nd rd talent who fell to 4rth  Sebastian Volmer Nate Solder Ryan Mallet Taylor Price Brandon tate BJGE Steven Ridley Shane Vareen Danny Woodhead Marcus Cannon 1-2nd rd talent that fell to 5th Chad Johnson Brian waters I only see Mallet and Price as non starters. Looks like Cannon will start this year. but maybe your right and we have not built this team more around the offensive side of the ball, because of a bunch of 2nd rd CB's we drafted that skew your statistic in favor of the defense. Got it. Your 1 line sarcastic responses are running rampant as of late? Just bored or nothing to bring to the table?

Hey dumbo, what exactly do you think this list proves, other than that you're clueless?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

~Also pezz- No, It is not solely NE's own Defense vs whatever opposing Offense they happen to face, that determines the course of TOP. NE's Offense vs said opposing team's defense, actually plays while the gameclock's moving as well- What they do (and ESPECIALLY when they're actually In THE Lead)- determines how much or how little time they can take off the clock- Play selection (Run vs Pass), Play Direction, Total Game management of Down and Distance (and milking it), Negating 3 and outs, and especially Turnovers (fumbles, INTs, and Safeties)- These greatly affect the final tally of NE's Offense vs Opposing Offense's Total TOP on the final boxscore...NOT solely what NE's Defense does (good grief!).

Not solely but in the Pats case, the majority.
    Look, if one side of the ball takes a lot of time off the clock, the reciprocal is that the other side of the ball has to take less.  The only way to score a lot is with short quick drives.  (it's called adjusting to the situation)
    The D was taking way too long to get off the field, plain and simple.  From the 1st drive of the game to the last, it never changed. Every single drive except the one where BB ended it for them, was excessive.

If the O did nothing but have 3 and outs, that would be a cause.
    But they didn't, they spent more than enough time on the field for the amount of possessions they had.  The amount of possessions they had was not the O's fault.  It was the fault of the ones taking too long to get off the field.
    If the Gints D was the one taking too much time (38 minutes) would it also have been possible for the gints O to use 38 minutes?   No it wouldn't. That's impossible.
    The Pats using more time would not have stopped the D from using more time, only the D could do that.  I don't want to hear they were tired crap.  They were tired from spending 38 minutes on the field for 8 possessions when a Normal D would have done that in 20.  He11, I'll even throw in 10 minutes for them because of a few quick turn arounds.  They still used too much time!!

To top it all off and hopefully put this to bed.  Do you know it's twice as easy to get a stop as it is to get a score.  This is a fact!  Do you know that it is even harder to get a score when your possessions are reduced and the time you have to score is reduced.
    I know you flunked math but this is simple.
    Teams score on 33% of there drives on average.  Actually it's 31.66% but I'm being generous. This includes TD's @60%, Fg's @ 39% and safeties @ 1 %.
    So all those scores only account for 33% of the (any) game.
    That means there is 67% where teams don't score.  The D is responsible for the team not scoring and the O is responsible for the scores.
    Thus the D has a 67% chance of making a stop and the O only has a 33% chance of scoring.  (twice as easy to make a stop)  RIGHT?  RIGHT?

Folks that think the O simply should have scored more points are nuttts.  It's much easier to make 1 dam stop than it is to score 1 dam td. (unless you are playing a D that can't make a dam stop to save their lives.)  Throw in the reduced time because the D is taking too long to make their stops and you're really fckd.

An average game has 7.6 scores in it. ( /> there's that dam 33/67 again< roughly 1 score for 3 possessions)  The O has to do it's part, but since it's easier to stop a score than it is to make a score, it's the responsibility of the D to make sure you are not on the low side of those 7.6 scores.  Fail. Fail Fail.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]The defense of the last 4 years was not going to win us a championship. However our offense was talented enough(as we see by the 35 ppg they scored) to win us one....they didn't.

Hey dimwit, did you hear that guy who scored one third of our offensive TDs during the season was badly hurt for the SB?

Nah, you were probably bending somebody's ear about how BB doesn't coach as well as you when the news came out and missed it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Are you even (because I'm not really sure) recognizing the fact, that you're attempting to rationalize some explanation which actually refutes a claim THIS basic?:

"~Also pezz- No, It is not solely NE's own Defense vs whatever opposing Offense they happen to face, that determines the course of TOP. NE's Offense vs said opposing team's defense, actually plays while the gameclock's moving as well- What they do (and ESPECIALLY when they're actually In THE Lead)- determines how much or how little time they can take off the clock- Play selection (Run vs Pass), Play Direction, Total Game management of Down and Distance (and milking it), Negating 3 and outs (or "6 and outs" when 5 of the 6 were pass plays, etc), and especially drive-cancelling Turnovers (fumbles, INTs, and Safeties)- These greatly affect the final tally of NE's Offense vs Opposing Offense's Total TOP on the final boxscore...NOT solely what NE's Defense does."

Are you being serious, pezz?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Are you even (because I'm not really sure) recognizing the fact, that you're attempting to rationalize some explanation which actually refutes a claim THIS basic?: " ~ Also pezz - No, It is not solely NE's own Defense vs whatever opposing Offense they happen to face, that determines the course of TOP. NE's Offense vs said opposing team's defense, actually plays while the gameclock's moving as well- What they do (and ESPECIALLY when they're actually In THE Lead)- determines how much or how little time they can take off the clock- Play selection (Run vs Pass), Play Direction, Total Game management of Down and Distance (and milking it), Negating 3 and outs, and especially Turnovers (fumbles, INTs, and Safeties)- These greatly affect the final tally of NE's Offense vs Opposing Offense's Total TOP on the final boxscore...NOT solely what NE's Defense does ." Are you being serious, pezz ?
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. did the D negate many 3rd downs ( what was it, something like 4 out of 20?) or get any turn overs or fumble recoveries or any drive stopping sacks or force any safeties?  Nope!  But the gints D did.... That's why the D had the ball for 38 minutes and the O didn't.   
     That was too easy.