Defense Needs Work

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aaron98m3. Show aaron98m3's posts

Re: Defense Needs Work

to the moron who started this discussion.... its the first preseason game you dipstick.  you have scrubs playing most of the game. where do u come off stating defense needs work?  are you that big of an idiot? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricomandog. Show ricomandog's posts

The other team was playing in its first pre-season game too, and without many of their starters i.e.(Westbrook). The D still looks average at best, not championship ready. Mayo didn't look that great to me. He was good at tackling, but it was always 7 to 15 yards down the field. I have yet to see anything out of him as a coverage LB. Teams are just going to throw over the top of the 4-3 and underneath the secondary as they march down the field 7 to 15 yards at a time. If the red zone D does not keep teams out of the end zone, the offense is going to need to score 30 points a game.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the defense looks like it always have.trouble stopping the run.more conservative.trouble stopping the short slant passes.yes its only pre-season.yes there is time to fix it,but it all begins with the pre-season.this is a copy cat league,and many teams are now doing what brady is.if they see the rush comeing,and if the qb is good enough.he is dumping the ball off,or throwing the quick slant pass.its almost impossible to stop it.it would just be nice to have a defensive player there to prevent the yards after catch.tackles are only good at that spot of the catch,or handoff.not after the damage has been done after the catch,or run.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Redeeming factors:

They held in the red zone, especially in the first half when more of the #1s played.  They played bend-but-don't break.

In preseason BB plays all sorts of rookies.  He wants to know who's good (like Edelman on Thursday) and who's going to get cut so he doesn't have to waste valuable time and roster spots on losers.  Picture this scenario:  if seventh round rookie Edelman had dropped a few footballs or hadn't gotten open then Philadelphia would have won easily, people would really be carping about the team, and BB would soon sweep Edelman under the rug.  As it was, BB made a find. 

Right now BB is running videotape of the defensive linemen's multiple mistakes over and over, chewing out people.  Some will soon wash out.  Some will learn.

Preseason is when all sorts of average teams get their revenge (such as it is) on the high-flying Pats.  "We beat the best!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Our D looked real good. The second half we were throwing in all kinds player combos and as expected they looked hesitent at times,but overall I think we look very deep on both sides of the ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Was Myron Pryor really one of the Pats starting LBs ? He's listed at 300LBs, lineman territory and he's six one.

If you let a team average 5+ ypc; they can control the clock and keep The Brady Bunch off the field as much as possible.

Mayo will be fine; as stated in eariler post someone needs to step up in the LB corps. The Biggest problem I had with the D as that it looked tentative at times, with some players afraid to tackle. Chung looks like the type of player who can tackle. Did he partially block that Eagles FGA ?

Edelman is a player and Brady will be fine come Sept. Morris and Faulk are stalwarts. Maroney has not looked good.

It still way to early to tell whether or not this D will hold up. 6points in the 1st was good.
     Hitches are tough to defend. Hopefully Burgess will improve pass rush and the pass D improves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pangloss65. Show Pangloss65's posts

For the last 40 minutes of the game, the defense was pitiful.  The worst drive Philly had got to the Pats' 27.  It's like letting them start every drive on the Pats' 35 yard line.  I know it was mostly second and third string, but so was the Philly offense.  And the stats for the first 20 minutes were embarassing - outgained almost 3 to 1.  We were lucky to win. 

As an aside - "bend but don't break" reminds me of the "prevent defense," which only prevents you from holding the lead.  When your D is dominant, the biggest favor you can do for your opponent is to change it. 

I know it's only preseason, but I think there's cause for some concern.  I agree with the title of this discussion - it needs much work before it returns to the level of the Patriots Super Bowl teams. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work:
    [QUOTE]For the last 40 minutes of the game, the defense was pitiful.  The worst drive Philly had got to the Pats' 27.  It's like letting them start every drive on the Pats' 35 yard line.  I know it was mostly second and third string, but so was the Philly offense.  And the stats for the first 20 minutes were embarassing - outgained almost 3 to 1.  We were lucky to win.  As an aside - "bend but don't break" reminds me of the "prevent defense," which only prevents you from holding the lead.  When your D is dominant, the biggest favor you can do for your opponent is to change it.  I know it's only preseason, but I think there's cause for some concern.  I agree with the title of this discussion - it needs much work before it returns to the level of the Patriots Super Bowl teams. 
    Posted by Pangloss65[/QUOTE]
    First let me say welcome to the board. All opinions are welcome. Second. I agree with you 100%. Philly moved the ball down the field nearly uncontested. That is never a good thing. Wether it is the first preseason game or the Super Bowl. BB is gonna make some adjustments, rest assured.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

Well it's definitely better than last years preseason game against the Bucs, remember seeing Hobbs and the other CBs trying to tackle near the goal line but get pushed into the endzone? now that was bad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

It's only the first exhibition game....if they keep giving up yardage like this during the last week of pre-season games, then Pats fans would have reason to worry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think the vanilla defensive game plan of a preseason game is why the defense "appeared to be slow" I think the Pats have made a sudden jump from an over the hill defense that really was slow to a young athletic defense with more then one ballhawk in the secondary. Merriweather can free roam more this year with the additions of Bodden(who looks real good) Springs and the 2 young corners who also look good Wheatley and Wilhite. Throw Sanders and Chung into the mix and we have a deep young secondary with a veteran presence.

What makes the secondary even stronger will be a new and improved pass rush with weapons like Thomas Burgess and even Pierre Woods coming off the edge with a Monstrous defensive line( can we say the best in football) in front of them. I think the Pats look as good if not better then they have the last 10 years

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

the D will be fine. this was the first preseason game, and there are a lot of young players and new players being worked into the mix. plus, a lot of our core guys either didn't play or haven't practiced much before this game. AND, they were playing in a new defensive scheme. against a new team. under the circumstances, i thought they did pretty well. i think this defense is going to take some time to jell, but i think by the middle of the season (barring injuries) they are going to be pretty good.
    one thing though i think its about time to admit: crable is not going to add anything to this team. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]to the moron who started this discussion.... its the first preseason game you dipstick.  you have scrubs playing most of the game. where do u come off stating defense needs work?  are you that big of an idiot? 
    Posted by aaron98m3[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I offended you, numb nuts. But I'm sick and tired of watching the defense cost the Pats championships over the past few years. Both moronic Manning brothers own rings, solely because the Patriots' defense couldn't prevent either of them from taking their teams on 80-plus yard drives in the final two minutes of championship games. 

Judging by your rudeness, you must be a Yankee fan. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Hey TP, I actually miss your report cards!!  There are a few new jacka**es posting now who think they have to shout and insult people. Hmmmmmmmm, about four years ago I acted the same way!!  HEH, HEH

and your assesment of the defense is correct. Hopefully the new young  guys will learn BB intricate game plans quickly and jell as a unit.  I'm sure it's going to take a few games for Mayo to get comfortable with the play calling.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Hey TP, I actually miss your report cards!!  There are a few new jacka**es posting now who think they have to shout and insult people. Hmmmmmmmm, about four years ago I acted the same way!!  HEH, HEH and your assesment of the defense is correct. Hopefully the new young  guys will learn BB intricate game plans quickly and jell as a unit.  I'm sure it's going to take a few games for Mayo to get comfortable with the play calling.
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

Top of the mornin' to you, Gamer...still as lovely as an Indian Summer sunrise. Rest assured darlin', report cards will be handed out weekly, starting in mid-September...LOL!! 

Yes, I am concerned about the defense. But Tom Brady's performance in Philly leads me to believe that he'll be the same ol' Tom Terrific, this season. For that reason alone, theres' cause for optimism. As poster Enoch Root put it in a different thread, "I'm afraid that the Death Star (Patriots' offense) is fully operational!!" Heres' more reason for optimism:  http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_patriots_web_16_08-16-09_GCFDMIS_v2.36f4eb0.html  

Lets' hope that the "D" pulls its' weight this year. I'm getting sick and tired of watching teams beat us in the final two minutes of big games, with 80-plus yard drives.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

We need more overreacting about a meaningless pre-season game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

In Response to Defense Needs Work:
    [QUOTE]     Not to put a damper on things, but the Pats' defense looked slow, and very mediocre. I realize that its' only preseason, but far too many yards were given up last night, especially on the ground.      As a recent article in the Cold, Hard Football Facts website pointed out, the Pats "D" held opposing teams to just 300 points or less in the regular season, during their championship years. Thats' an average of about 19 points per game, or less. Points allowed will be a stat that bears watching.        Heres' the pertinent part of the article mentioned above:      "The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid."
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

While I agree that the defense needs work, Lets remember a few things.  This is the 1st pre-season game.  Ty Warren wasn't playing.  The Pats played in the 4-3 as their base the entire game. Something that hasn't happened since 2001.  Shawn Springs also wasn't playing.

This was a pretty vanilla defense. 

The 1st stringers held Philly to 6 points.  And the 2nd stringers also kept Philly out to end the 1st half.  I saw a lot of good things, though there is always room for improvement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Defense Needs Work : The run defense was terrible but I thought the pass defense was OK. They're still not getting any pressure on the QB at all. They get lucky rushing everybody but that's too risky. Its incredibly dissapointing to see the Monty Beisel-ish effort on run plays.  Its just the pre-season so its hard to tell but the 4-3 looked bad.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

The Pats had 2 sacks on McNabb in the 1st half.. How is that not getting any pressure? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThanksMoLewis. Show ThanksMoLewis's posts

I think it is easy for a defense to look good when players like Brian Westbrook are not playing.  I would hate to see us lose another superbowl because our defense.  It is only a preseason game that is going to determine which players stays and go.  After a disappointing 2002 season I was super pissed after our first game loss to Buffalo in 2003.  With new players coming in and old players going out it took time but they came together. Our offense is highpowered but if you ask Coach Bill he will tell you they need work to.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In my initial post to start this thread, I qualified my criticism of the "D" by saying, "I know its' only preseason"...which meant that I understood that the Pats are playing vanilla "D", and aren't playing their best players.

Nonetheless, its' clear that the "D" is far behind the offense, and is a work in progress. Like most of you, I'm tired of watching championships slip through the Foxboro fingers because the defense consistently can't get off the field on 3rd down...or stop the 2 minute drill of opposing teams.

In 2009, its' time for the guys on "D"...both young and old...to step it up! Our current "D" lacks play-makers, intimidators, and pass-rushers. Otherwise, its' just fine.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Yes, the D collapsing late in the game is the reason we haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004.  Because it's not like the D collapsed in the 4th quarter of the 2001 Super Bowl, or in the second half of the 2003 Super Bowl, or let McNabb march down the field at the end of the 2004 Super Bowl. 

But if we got some super awesome play-makers, intimidators and pass-rushers, that would solve everything!  Good analysis, I mean, report card. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[QUOTE]I think we should also remember, the Eagles are considered the best team in the NFC and may be the 2nd best offense in the nfl as well. It's not like they played the Lions.
    Posted by kman2004[/QUOTE] The Eagles are a Good Offense with Westbrook, without him they are average at Best.Forget the scheming, we know BB can do that, what happened to the Defenses of 2003,2004. The toughness is not there anymore, we used to line up against Bettis and the Steelers listen to their trash talk all week  and then smash them in the mouth.That is definitely Gone

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, the D collapsing late in the game is the reason we haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004.  Because it's not like the D collapsed in the 4th quarter of the 2001 Super Bowl, or in the second half of the 2003 Super Bowl, or let McNabb march down the field at the end of the 2004 Super Bowl.  But if we got some super awesome play-makers, intimidators and pass-rushers, that would solve everything!  Good analysis, I mean, report card. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

Are you really comparing the Patriots' defense of the SB years with this current bunch? Wheres' the current Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Willie McGinest, and Mike Vrabel? The Pats aren't going to win a championship unless and until some players in their current bunch...perhaps a Jarod Mayo, Patrick Chung, Darius Butler, or Shawn Crable...step it up.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : The Eagles are a Good Offense with Westbrook, without him they are average at Best.Forget the scheming, we know BB can do that, what happened to the Defenses of 2003,2004. The toughness is not there anymore, we used to line up against Bettis and the Steelers listen to their trash talk all week  and then smash them in the mouth.That is definitely Gone
    Posted by patriots44[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better. That toughness needs to return, if the Patriots are to get it done in 2009.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

This "D" will have some scrote, that is for sure.

The problem with that comparison is that Ne already replaced Willie Mac, Jarvis Green does 70% of what he used to do, and Thomas the other 30% last season. More 4-3 looks will make this defense appear more like that one.

Second, Ty Law can't exist anymore in this NFL. The rules have changed. But Bodden likes to smakc WR's around as much as you can within the rules. Even if he stinks he can be a hit man. lol.

But I have no fear that Chung, Mayo and Meriweather like to put a hit on. So they are taking steps in a good direction.

A big reason that "D" looked slow was the personel package. Replacing Burgess with PRyor gave them a lumberin 4-3. I imagine that there will also be packages that have Burgess and TBC across from each other for a more Tampa-2 speed rush look.

Burgess, et all, will tell the story with this D, along with the development of the young guys at corner.

Sections
Shortcuts