Defense Needs Work

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Re: Defense Needs Work

I gotta agree with Z...this D will depend on how Burgess & the corners come around...and Chung too to a certain extent. I'm not anticipating our D really getting into form until about mid-season. At that point I'll be concerned if we're not shutting teams down. The Indy game in week 9 or whatever will tell a lot about what we have.

Barring big injuries, I think this will be our best Defense since 04...and hopefully that means another SB title.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

What Z said about how ty Law can no longer exist in the NFL is so incrediably true. If you go back and look at the 2001 super bowl, if that game was played now the rams win hands down. The NFL sometimes seems like its trying to turn the entire league into the Pro-Bowl, Offensive friendly. As the saying goes offense sells tickets and defense wins championships, The nfl is a little bit more interested in the money than sticking to what football should be.

And the defense was vanilla, not to mention BB is using to find guys that he likes. Also alot of teams pull out all the stops against NE in the preseason so they can say they beat them, whether it matters or not. Lastly who cares about the preseason that record doesnt matter, the pats were 2-2 in 2007 and look what happened that year, they were 1-3 in 04 the last SB season and in those three loses only one was by less than 28 points

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LenDaleUSC06. Show LenDaleUSC06's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work:
    In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work :      Tell you where I've been this entire decade...solidly behind this team. But, unlike you, I don't wear rose colored glasses. Since 2004, have the Patriots won another title? Worse yet, during the past few years (2007 excluded), they have had problems beating the top teams. I am sick and tired of watching the defense wilt in the final minutes of big games.      Brilliant deduction that "yards are not points", Sherlock. But, even you should be able to deduce that giving up vast amount of yards leads to giving up points.      Hey...no complaints if I were a Raiders, Lions, or even a Titan fan. But, for the Patriots, its' SB or bust...and, unless the "D" improves, it will be BUST.
    Posted by TexasPat3

TexasPat3:
    I just wanted to praise you for having good opinions & actually bringing substance to this Patriots Message Board.  Keep posting I look forward to your insight & your report cards after each game of the season.  Looking forward to another SB Patriots victory!!  Don't let the trolls get to ya!!  Thanks, LenDaleUSC06.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I dont think anyone can say we lost the SB because of our D.  Not when the highest scoring team in history puts up 14 pts in the SB. Even Brady laughed at Burress' comment that we would score 17.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

There is room for optimism with this D.  Meriweather, Mayo and one of the young corners need to develop as playmakers and Adalius Thomas needs to earn his contract.  The D didn't make to many big plays last year, current group has some uncertainty but more potential for explosive plays.

Ring #4 is on the horizon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I gotta agree with Z...this D will depend on how Burgess & the corners come around...and Chung too to a certain extent. I'm not anticipating our D really getting into form until about mid-season. At that point I'll be concerned if we're not shutting teams down. The Indy game in week 9 or whatever will tell a lot about what we have. Barring big injuries, I think this will be our best Defense since 04...and hopefully that means another SB title.
    Posted by ush

Hey Ush,

Yeah, we see eye to eye on this. I already posted a few times about how this defense is going to have to come into shape, I think post week 8 is about right. If they are still looking green at that point, then it might be time to think. I firmly believe by the playoffs they will be one of the elite units in football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

In Response to Defense Needs Work:
         Not to put a damper on things, but the Pats' defense looked slow, and very mediocre. I realize that its' only preseason, but far too many yards were given up last night, especially on the ground.      As a recent article in the Cold, Hard Football Facts website pointed out, the Pats "D" held opposing teams to just 300 points or less in the regular season, during their championship years. Thats' an average of about 19 points per game, or less. Points allowed will be a stat that bears watching.        Heres' the pertinent part of the article mentioned above:      "The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid."
    Posted by TexasPat3

I share your concern with the Defense but I did see some promise.  The rookie Prior looked good.  I like the Burgess as well.  I think you just need to give this defense some time to get to know each other.   Adalius had a strong camp and Wilfork as always is a beast.   It will once again come down to the ability of the cornerbacks to shut down the pass. 

The Patriots offense is going to put up points this season.  With Moss deep and Welker and Endelman underneath the Pass attack will be lethal.  Teams are going to be in the shotgun most of the time against the Patriots.  I feel like Belichick is setting up the defense for the pass rush much like Indy.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Once again tonight, the Pats "D" had problems stopping the run. Terrence Wheatley is making us fondly remember Ellis Hobbs. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

you got that right.i know these guys are not our starters,or that its only pre-season,but they are trying to make this team,and other teams if they get cut.so you would still think the games would be better,or there game plays being better.so yes pre-season games do matter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Oh that "D", they gave up a touchdown.  How dare they.  Cut them all. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

what was the final score in this preseason game?the only td that beat us.the bend and dont break will not work any more.maybe in the past,but not any more.the defense will need to get better,or we will see more games like this when it counts.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-201/Thoughts-from-Patriots-Bengals-exhibition.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

what was the final score in this preseason game?the only td that beat us.the bend and dont break will not work any more.maybe in the past,but not any more.the defense will need to get better,or we will see more games like this when it counts. http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-9-201/Thoughts-from-Patriots-Bengals-exhibition.html
    Posted by mosseffect43

If the D only gives up one TD each game this season, every Pats fan will be thrilled, no matter how much they bend. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

not if its 7-6 the other team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

For those of you with sky high expectations regarding the 2009 Patriots...here is one sobering fact to keep in mind (from the CHFF...who have rated the Pats 5th overall in their power ratings):

5. NEW ENGLAND (11-5). The Patriots have been installed as the favorites to win the Super Bowl, but let’s not forget that they allowed 24.3 PPG against playoff teams last year – 28.2 if you exclude the Cardinals’ embarrassing Week 16 semi-forfeit in the Massachusetts snow (a 41-7 NE win). The Genius has a lot of work to do this year.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Why do people always want to knock the Pats' D? 

Merriweather is a beast back there. 

BB loves James Sanders. I've never seen him performed exceptionally but if Bill likes him then he defininatly has talent. 

Bodden and Wilhite are the best coners we've had since Law and Gay. 

Guyton and Mayo are speed demons, not to mention that they have great chemistry being best friends and all. 

Aday-day is a one man wrecking machine, regardless of who they put on the otherside  he will draw double coverage which will open up a hole for them.

The DL has always been good and this year they have two players who are looking for a new contracts so they will perform well. 

The Pats' D will be fine. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ltown1. Show Ltown1's posts

For those of you with sky high expectations regarding the 2009 Patriots...here is one sobering fact to keep in mind (from the CHFF...who have rated the Pats 5th overall in their power ratings):      5. NEW ENGLAND (11-5). The Patriots have been installed as the favorites to win the Super Bowl, but let’s not forget that they allowed 24.3 PPG against playoff teams last year – 28.2 if you exclude the Cardinals’ embarrassing Week 16 semi-forfeit in the Massachusetts snow (a 41-7 NE win). The Genius has a lot of work to do this year.  
    Posted by TexasPat3

I know what your saying but 2007, the last season that Brady started, went undefeated, scoring an average of 38.6 and allowing an average of 17.1. 

That's an average differential of 19 points.  Say the Pats defense stays the same, we still have an average differential of better than 10 points.

I know these stats are from 2 years ago.  I share your concern with the Defense but, it did get better than last year.  The offense will score more points than last season, forcing opponents to pass and making the job of defense a little easier. 

I'm just saying that our defense has some wiggle room.  They're a young team on the defensive side of the ball and if they can just be a little bit better than last year, we'll find ourselves deep into the playoffs again this season.  

Will be win the superbowl?  Who knows.  We should have won in 08 except for the luckiest catch in the history of the NFL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Why do people always want to knock the Pats' D?  Merriweather is a beast back there.  BB loves James Sanders. I've never seen him performed exceptionally but if Bill likes him then he defininatly has talent.  Bodden and Wilhite are the best coners we've had since Law and Gay.  Guyton and Mayo are speed demons, not to mention that they have great chemistry being best friends and all.  Aday-day is a one man wrecking machine, regardless of who they put on the otherside  he will draw double coverage which will open up a hole for them. The DL has always been good and this year they have two players who are looking for a new contracts so they will perform well.  The Pats' D will be fine. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Sry Meriweather is not a beast at all. He is a poor tackler next to Sanders. Gay was never a starter and was injured his 2nd and 3rd yrs... AD has yet to earn the monye he was given to sign, but at leasat he played more (and better) than Colvin. The LBs are suspect until they can put pressure on the QB and either cause turnovers (whether fumbles or interceptions) or force the QB to take a sack or throw it away. This is not the champioship defenses of the past and since 2006 AFC Championship game have proven to be the weakness of the Pats. Now wait until opposing defenses start pressuring Brady...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : Sry Meriweather is not a beast at all. He is a poor tackler next to Sanders. Gay was never a starter and was injured his 2nd and 3rd yrs... AD has yet to earn the monye he was given to sign, but at leasat he played more (and better) than Colvin. The LBs are suspect until they can put pressure on the QB and either cause turnovers (whether fumbles or interceptions) or force the QB to take a sack or throw it away. This is not the champioship defenses of the past and since 2006 AFC Championship game have proven to be the weakness of the Pats. Now wait until opposing defenses start pressuring Brady...
    Posted by Patriots1970

Adalius had 5 sacks in 9 games last year. If he finished the season he might have gotten double digit sacks. 

Brandon is a damn good saftey. Besides Mayo, and Adalius I would sayBrandon is the best defensive player on the team. The guy picks off Brady countlessly in practice. He can hit hard to force fumbles and he reads offenses pretty well. 

Speaking of Ty, I wonder if Bill would sign him if they needed a man?

Our defenses is good, it's not as good as it was in 2003/04 but it is better than it was in 07. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : Sry Meriweather is not a beast at all. He is a poor tackler next to Sanders. Gay was never a starter and was injured his 2nd and 3rd yrs... AD has yet to earn the monye he was given to sign, but at leasat he played more (and better) than Colvin. The LBs are suspect until they can put pressure on the QB and either cause turnovers (whether fumbles or interceptions) or force the QB to take a sack or throw it away. This is not the champioship defenses of the past and since 2006 AFC Championship game have proven to be the weakness of the Pats. Now wait until opposing defenses start pressuring Brady...
    Posted by Patriots1970[/QUOTE

For the most part all opposing defenses did was try and pressure Brady in 08. Brady is a blitz killer. He will be a blitz killer this year especially as we continue to use short passes in the early games of the year and run the hell out of the ball with 5 rbs on the roster.

Last years defense cannot be compared to other defenses for the simple reason that Brady did not play on that team. There were seldom long drives which killed time of possession.The best defense is a good offense. This defense is younger and stronger and it is the best it has looked since 2004!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : For the most part all opposing defenses did was try and pressure Brady in 08. 
    Posted by TrueChamp

OK, I assume you mean 07?  I'm excited for the season too.  I don't think we'll see what the defense can do until mid-season though.  I don't expect chemistry between all of the new faces, or old faces in new roles from game 1.  I hope I am wrong.  I'd love to see our D strong out the gate.  We know the O is going to do its part.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : OK, I assume you mean 07?  I'm excited for the season too.  I don't think we'll see what the defense can do until mid-season though.  I don't expect chemistry between all of the new faces, or old faces in new roles from game 1.  I hope I am wrong.  I'd love to see our D strong out the gate.  We know the O is going to do its part.  
    Posted by carawaydj

Oops 07. Yeah I agree they will not dominate out of the gate but to be honest when looking at the schedule the first 7 weeks until the bye we do not face any offensive juggernauts. The Falcons, Ravens, and Titans have strong run games but other then Matt Ryan not great Qb play. Even Ryan is second year and for him to be the best QB we play in the first 8 weeks of the season will be a blessing to this defense. Im glad you brought up the defensive start because after looking again at the schedule it appears a great way to have time to gel and play better as a team. The Colts Saints Panthers and Texans could be a little tougher.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : Oops 07. Yeah I agree they will not dominate out of the gate but to be honest when looking at the schedule the first 7 weeks until the bye we do not face any offensive juggernauts. The Falcons, Ravens, and Titans have strong run games but other then Matt Ryan not great Qb play. Even Ryan is second year and for him to be the best QB we play in the first 8 weeks of the season will be a blessing to this defense. Im glad you brought up the defensive start because after looking again at the schedule it appears a great way to have time to gel and play better as a team. The Colts Saints Panthers and Texans could be a little tougher.
    Posted by TrueChamp

Tough QB play from Peyton and Brees, yes. But, from Jake DelHomme and Matt Schaub (assuming that they are both still healthy by the time the Pats play them)??  

The bottom line is that the Pats could not contain the offenses of the top AFC teams they faced last season. They consistently couldn't get off the field on 3rd down...and gave up a league high 31 TD passes. If they are to truly contend in 2009, that must change.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work :      Tough QB play from Peyton and Brees, yes. But, from Jake DelHomme and Matt Schaub (assuming that they are both still healthy by the time the Pats play them)??        The bottom line is that the Pats could not contain the offenses of the top AFC teams they faced last season. They consistently couldn't get off the field on 3rd down...and gave up a league high 31 TD passes. If they are to truly contend in 2009, that must change.
    Posted by TexasPat3

I think the offense for texans and panthers as a whole will be a little stiffer in competetion, After 2004 superbowl I will never count delhomme out especially with that run game and offensive line in carolina.

Of course the def ense was horrible on 3rd down as well redzone but again when they are on the field less and with a brand new corner tandem and depth, as well as 2nd year of development with Mayo Guyton Im saying the outlook is good!

Sections
Shortcuts