Defense Needs Work

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: Defense Needs Work

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work:
    In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work :      Its' not "panic". Its' legitimate concern...based on what we've seen from the defense. There are no intimidators, pass-rushers, or play makers on the Patriots' "D". For the past two two years, BB has been cutting and pasting on his secondary.       How can you be optimistic when you see a QB like Jason Campbell lighting up the Pats' secondary?
    Posted by TexasPat3

Apparently, to you, the glass isn't half empty or half full. To you, the glass is a useless container for liquids because it can be shattered and then you can cut your foot and bleed out while trying to stand up but you keep slipping and can't get to the phone. Libbey and gravity equals Revelations in your book.

LTFU.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : The secondary didn't look that bad to me. They weren't fantastic but they are a work in progress. The Pats secondary wont be truly tested until we face the Colts. If by week 5 the secondary is consistently getting burned I will be the first to panic, but until then I'm mellow the the sun is yellow.  Maybe Belichick can call up Ty Law. It doesn't look like Springs will play much this season, why not bring in a Vet that plays like the two current starters? 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Agreed 49 Patriots( 49??) I posted a similar response to some of these posts. Secondary  will have a learning curve. They are young and will get better as season progresses. To say they will be as bad as the Hobbs and Oneal led corner tandem of last year because of a preseason game is a little crazy. We go through this every year in preseason. We are playing a basic vanilla game plan. 1 man rush or no man rush. Save the play book for a meaningful game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

get real! just because a fan like myself,and probably longer then you makes an opinion,dosent make for a band wagon,thats such a typical term to use these days.I think the defense is good,but needs a lot of work.its not great.what ever campbell was considered for dosent put him in the category of tom brady.santana is no randy which means our defense should have shut them down.wilhite made a great play in the two years he has been here.its easy to say well if we take away this,and that,but it dosent work that way.if it did,we would have won 9 straight superbowls now.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Moss are you still down on Johnny W? Im pretty sure we drafted him last year and he made some nice plays in his rookie year. Not the 1 play in 2 years that you threw out there. Santana Moss and Randall El are two of the fastest wrs in the league and when we play a base defense against any team in the league with minimal scheme or game plan then guys like that are going to get open. We gotta keep the Ty Law jersey in the closet bud I wish he retired a Pat but its over. Besides is it just me or does Wilhite have a little Asante Samuel type look to his game?

Defense needs work but a much better outlook then last year at this time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLoyalFan. Show PatsLoyalFan's posts

i agree, good post and good point on the 300 points allowed.

secondary very inexperienced working together.  Wilhite may be our best corner right now.  Wheatley still playing too slow.  Bodden goes for the picks.  Springs who knows.   Safeties with McGowan look really good.  Butler still a ways to go.    Would like to see Burgess and Fatasss #96 get in the qb's faces for 20 combined sacks too help out the secondary too!
    we're going to be at worst an avg defense and at best a good but not great defense,  and if the offense gets back  close to 2007 level, we should be ok playing with leads.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I really can’t wait until the regular season to arrive, than maybe this entire belly aching and nancy boy worrying will be over.  I'm going to predict at least 4 sacks in that first game, Trent Edwards may leave on a stretcher and suddenly the secondary will look completely serviceable because we will actually be playing to win.  Carawaydj is correct when he says the secondary will probably not be playing flawless until midway through the regular season, but until that happens don't expect us to be sitting back in zone and not rushing the passer like we have been in the preseason.

I don't think some of you realize just how much heat Thomas, Burgess, Seymour and any number of our other great defenders can create and how many opportunities that will open up for our secondary.  Too many of you who think preseason is any indicator of how our starting units will play in the regular season are in for a rude awakening.  I predict greatness, save this thread and if I'm wrong come back here and slap me upside the head with it... just understand I'll be doing the same when proven correct.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : Agreed 49 Patriots( 49??) I posted a similar response to some of these posts. Secondary  will have a learning curve. They are young and will get better as season progresses. To say they will be as bad as the Hobbs and Oneal led corner tandem of last year because of a preseason game is a little crazy. We go through this every year in preseason. We are playing a basic vanilla game plan. 1 man rush or no man rush. Save the play book for a meaningful game.
    Posted by TrueChamp

That's what I meant by "Bandwagon fans". We go through this every year. I would hope the long term fans would remember the first time we saw Asante Samuel, I wasn't a Asante the "man"te fan. The secondary will be fine, Wilhite showed signs of what he can do, Bodden made very smart plays, Butler tried but his inexperince showed. 

Let's give them a chance to work before we cut their heads off. It's like for the secondary to be considered ok, the opposing QB has to go 0-22, no completions, and 5 INTs. The OL is held to an even higher standard, Tom Brady can't have a finger come near him. 

I stand by what I say, I'm as mellow as the sun is yellow. Ask me week 5, what color the sun is because I'm positive it will be yellow. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : Moss are you still down on Johnny W? Im pretty sure we drafted him last year and he made some nice plays in his rookie year. Not the 1 play in 2 years that you threw out there. Santana Moss and Randall El are two of the fastest wrs in the league and when we play a base defense against any team in the league with minimal scheme or game plan then guys like that are going to get open. We gotta keep the Ty Law jersey in the closet bud I wish he retired a Pat but its over. Besides is it just me or does Wilhite have a little Asante Samuel type look to his game? Defense needs work but a much better outlook then last year at this time.
    Posted by TrueChamp
    im not down on the guy.he made a great play friday night.but it dosent mean he has earned starting statis.like some has said,maybe by week five,all cyclinders will be kicking,but the opinions are on right now,and whats being seen.yes its pre-season,and we are not seeing the the true game plan,and schemes,but we are still seeing the fundamentals of it like tackleing,being physical,covering ect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I really can’t wait until the regular season to arrive, than maybe this entire belly aching and nancy boy worrying will be over.  I'm going to predict at least 4 sacks in that first game, Trent Edwards may leave on a stretcher and suddenly the secondary will look completely serviceable because we will actually be playing to win.  Carawaydj is correct when he says the secondary will probably not be playing flawless until midway through the regular season, but until that happens don't expect us to be sitting back in zone and not rushing the passer like we have been in the preseason. I don't think some of you realize just how much heat Thomas, Burgess, Seymour and any number of our other great defenders can create and how many opportunities that will open up for our secondary.  Too many of you who think preseason is any indicator of how our starting units will play in the regular season are in for a rude awakening.  I predict greatness, save this thread and if I'm wrong come back here and slap me upside the head with it... just understand I'll be doing the same when proven correct.
    Posted by wozzy

Well said Wozzy! If Trent Edwards comes out and throws 4 tds on us(or Chad or Leftwich or Flacco or Orton or Kerry Collins) then I too will make apologies. Considering it wont be preseason then I doubt any of those qbs sniff a great game against us.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seajere. Show seajere's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work :
    Posted by seajere

Hi Texas.
    Long time no speak. Trust you are well. So far so good here in Caribbean. Beautiful weather, crystal clear waters, gentle breezes.......... and no storms so far, touch wood.
    I have to disagree my friend. I think you're in the half empty side as opposed to half full. Have faith, the defense will come around.
    I'm more worried about the mediocrity along the O Line and PPGP for handling a guy like Haynsworth. Without Brady there is no chance. How that hit happened so late in the half is beyond me. A few more of them and our QB is toast.
    Anyway keep up with the informative and engaging posts.
    Seajere

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

more,and more changes.teddy is gone,and players with very little playing time are takeing over.im seeing youth and faster players on board,but a lot of inexperience also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : Hi Texas. Long time no speak. Trust you are well. So far so good here in Caribbean. Beautiful weather, crystal clear waters, gentle breezes.......... and no storms so far, touch wood. I have to disagree my friend. I think you're in the half empty side as opposed to half full. Have faith, the defense will come around. I'm more worried about the mediocrity along the O Line and PPGP for handling a guy like Haynsworth. Without Brady there is no chance. How that hit happened so late in the half is beyond me. A few more of them and our QB is toast. Anyway keep up with the informative and engaging posts. Seajere
    Posted by seajere

Hello, my Carribean friend! Still turning me green with envy as you sip down those sea breezes by the shore!

I'm very skeptical about the Pats' defense. They actually made Redskins' Jason Campbell look good. Thats' extremely hard to do. A feeble pass rush, lack of playmakers, lack of intimidators, and a mediocre secondary seems to spell trouble for the "D" in 2009. Plus, as you correctly have pointed out, the OL is not adequately protecting Tom Brady, nor opening holes for the running game.

Hope I'm wrong. Have a tequilla sunrise on me, my friend! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Patrick Chung had better develop into a decent safety. The LB thin Pats passed up ILB Rey Maualuga and OLB Connor Barwin to take him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

As I stated above, Chung had better not be the next Eugene: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090901/SPT02/309010057/1066/Maualuga+makes+his+mark

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If who Reiss says makes the team than the Pats will have an unusually large number of 1st and 2nd year players on the roster: Wheatley, Wilhite, Chung, Butler, Mayo, Guyton,Crable, Brace, Pryor, Ohnberger, Vollmer, Edelman, Ingram. 8players from this year's rookie class alone ? Some of these players have to step in and step up their game for the Pats to be successful.

Mac Kenzie and Tate are excluded, but I expect them to be a part of the Pats future plans. Like I said during the 08 draft thread the next few drafts will be very important for the future both on D and on O, eventually.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RomanoCheese. Show RomanoCheese's posts

http://westraightpostin.blogspot.com/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Is the Pats' secondary really as bad as it looked during the preseason? We'll soon find out.

I just watched a replay of the Pats/Giants preseason game. Patrick Chung looked awful in coverage.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Is the Pats' secondary really as bad as it looked during the preseason? We'll soon find out.      I just watched a replay of the Pats/Giants preseason game. Patrick Chung looked awful in coverage.
    Posted by TexasPat3

I think the only safety that will do well in coverage is Ed Reed in the NFL. Safeties aren't breed to cover, they just stop the big yardage. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : I think the only safety that will do well in coverage is Ed Reed in the NFL. Safeties aren't breed to cover, they just stop the big yardage. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

What about Troy Polamalu?

In any event...hope you're right about Chung. I thought that taking him 34th overall was a bit of a reach. I hate to think that the Pats' use of the 34th overall pick turns out to be a bust.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Is the Pats' secondary really as bad as it looked during the preseason? We'll soon find out.      I just watched a replay of the Pats/Giants preseason game. Patrick Chung looked awful in coverage.
    Posted by TexasPat3
     I agree with this post.
    Except for Bodden and springs, the Pats have a very young group of safeties and corners. Very few proven players. that is why a mix of vets and new players can be good. Some second round picks turn out to be good and others turn out  like bethel johnson or the second round receiver they let go last year. It is starting to look like Butler and Merriweather and Wilhite are good players. Chung and Wheatley are works in progress.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

Troy is okay in coverage, Ed Reed is like a corner though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Defense Needs Work:
         Not to put a damper on things, but the Pats' defense looked slow, and very mediocre. I realize that its' only preseason, but far too many yards were given up last night, especially on the ground.      As a recent article in the Cold, Hard Football Facts website pointed out, the Pats "D" held opposing teams to just 300 points or less in the regular season, during their championship years. Thats' an average of about 19 points per game, or less. Points allowed will be a stat that bears watching.        Heres' the pertinent part of the article mentioned above:      "The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid."
    Posted by TexasPat3

Let's tell it like it is. Now that Seymour is also gone, the defense stinks. Er, I mean, "in transition."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from flasox. Show flasox's posts

Same BS from Bob the Jets troll. If this is a bad deal for the Pats you should be happy then.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Defense Needs Work:
         Not to put a damper on things, but the Pats' defense looked slow, and very mediocre. I realize that its' only preseason, but far too many yards were given up last night, especially on the ground.      As a recent article in the Cold, Hard Football Facts website pointed out, the Pats "D" held opposing teams to just 300 points or less in the regular season, during their championship years. Thats' an average of about 19 points per game, or less. Points allowed will be a stat that bears watching.        Heres' the pertinent part of the article mentioned above:      "The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid."
    Posted by TexasPat3

Yeah and they only gave up 19.3 pts a game last year also.

Who knows about this year. 

1st they need to stay healthy. 

Then they need time as a unit to grow together. 

Between the rookies/2nd year players who played sparingly last year/and new editions that are veterans, there are allot of new personalities and communication skills that need to gel. That's not even mentioning picking up the BB defensive system to a point where they are simply reacting and not over thinking.

That all takes some time.

As long as they are healthy and firing on all cylinders by week 11 I will be happy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

As I've stated several times, I'm very concerned about what I've seen from Patrick Chung thus far. The guy appears to have serious coverage issues.

Meanwhile, LB Rey Maualuga has won a starting job in Cincinnati. Wouldn't he have been a good addition to our thin LB corp? http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090907/SPT02/309070036/1066/Maualuga+to+start+at+linebacker

Sections
Shortcuts