In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work:

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : First let me say, to play devil's advocate, that our defensive backfield is the group with the most new parts and is a "question mark" if you prefer; that has been well documented.  Shawn Springs if healthy doesn't have to prove anything to you; he has done it over his entire career. That being said he was my dark horse pick to be cut after the preseason due to age and injury, even if that comes to pass we aren't in bad shape.  Wheately is a slot corner and a good one, players of every size have a use and covering small quick slot receivers is just as important as covering the big outside receivers; Bodden and Wheately cover those needs very well.  To point out that Terrence had a bad game against the Bengal's extraordinarily large receivers isn't necessary; if he was great at it I don't suppose Bill B would have had him out there working on it... that's why they call it preseason. Meriweather in his second season led the Patriots with four interceptions, tying the highest total by a Patriots safety since Lawyer Milloy had six interceptions in 1998, ranked third on the team with 79 tackles (57 solo), a total that led all Patriots defensive backs, finished second on the team with nine passes defensed, tied for third on the team with 11 special teams tackles and played in every game, starting the final 11 games of the season out of position at strong safety after opening-day starter Rodney Harrison was placed on injured reserve.  He broke perennial All Pro Bennie Blades career mark for tackles as well as the single season record for tackles at UM.  To say he isn't that good is either a misnomer or proves you haven't been paying attention. To pretend as though you have some inside knowledge on young players like Whilite or Darius Butler to prove your argument really shows that it has no teeth.  Butler and Chung have looked excellent through camp and preseason, if Butler isn't starting by game one than he will be soon enough.  Chung was only the highest rated safety in the draft, drafted by a former secondary coach who currently happens to be the best head coach and talent evaluator in the league; that's enough for me. With Adalius Thomas, Burgess, Seymour and Wilfork crushing the pocket and rushing the passer the corners won't have to hold up too long on their own back there.  We won Super Bowls with Troy Brown (a wide receiver) as well as Randall Gay and a slew of other undrafted free agents at corner, so in short thank you for your concern but it's unwarranted...  In "Bill We Trust" is our motto... unlike the Dolt's fan motto "In Bill (Polian) we trust to cry about the rules so we have a chance next season."
Posted by wozzy

Bump...

Here's one of the irrational threads of note... 

Now is the problem the offense or the defense?