defense' success v. Colts will dictate spikes future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: defense' success v. Colts will dictate spikes future

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

agree.. If Collins and Hightower look like rookies and have many breakdowns and cant stop the run or cover, I think BB may think that resigning Spikes is kind of necessary to give the young ones time to develop.

with that said, I think Hightower and Collins will do fine this weekend and unless they absolutly fall apart Saturday it will show we may not need him.

I love SPikes, good player, brings a lot of attitude to the D, and he is a great run stuffer. We he wants to be here I think BB could find a deal that is player and team friendly but I feel Spikes is looking to make bank.. so I'm not confident in his return

You know it would be great if Hightower and Collins along with Fletcher and Nink can just explode with the talent that they have...    this is the upside ... right?  If the young players can emerge at the exact moment when they are needed and coached up to execute.

we shall see with Spikes.   MPI is that his value to the team exceeds all the posted shortcomings except the unknown of what crazy price that some jackazs agent comes up with.  Hope he's smarter than that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

Spikes is okay but he is limited. He is a good player but Pats will have a better defense with Collins, Flechter, and Hightower.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

You know it would be great if Hightower and Collins along with Fletcher and Nink can just explode with the talent that they have...    this is the upside ... right?  If the young players can emerge at the exact moment when they are needed and coached up to execute.

we shall see with Spikes.   MPI is that his value to the team exceeds all the posted shortcomings except the unknown of what crazy price that some jackazs agent comes up with.  Hope he's smarter than that.

I agree with that. He brings a ton to this team and is a very underrated player for that. I just don't wanna see them over pay for Spikes and put the mony where its needed. there will be teams that will pay a lot more than we will offer so it comes down to where he wants to be.

a winning town and great team for less $, or crap team with bigger role and more money. its up to him

• You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

I agree with that. He brings a ton to this team and is a very underrated player for that. I just don't wanna see them over pay for Spikes and put the mony where its needed. there will be teams that will pay a lot more than we will offer so it comes down to where he wants to be.

a winning town and great team for less $, or crap team with bigger role and more money. its up to him

exactly.      this is where every player should  want to play...  right?    Especially a guy with a lot invested and having a role here as a leader....

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

exactly.      this is where every player should  want to play...  right?    Especially a guy with a lot invested and having a role here as a leader....

well, it really should be but there are guys who actually want the extra few million than a ring.... Deion Branch in 2005, Asante in 2008 just a few guys there. hopefully spikes doesnt fall in this category

•  
  • This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I realize that I already made this point once but repeatedly reiterating your thoughts does not seem to be considered a shortcoming in this forum.  Accordingly- - - - -

- - - -Have I got this right?  That Spikes will NOT be playing in this game should determine whether or not he's re-signed by the Pats?  Is that what I'm understanding here??

On the other hand, that he was known to hang out with an accused murderer (who is also a suspect in a separate double homicide) should not have a bearing on his suitability for retention?  Am I understanding that correctly as well?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to Cloudyandrain's comment:

Spikes is okay but he is limited. He is a good player but Pats will have a better defense with Collins, Flechter, and Hightower.

Jokes, maybe in coverage that line-up is better without Spikes, but against the run? Nope.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The whole defense has to tackle well and keep giving up big plays, especially on 3rd down.  If they can get some 3 and outs and more 3rd down stops, those are improvements in the right direction.  Give the offense more time on the field.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Spikes role as inspirational leader and standout player should be missed this weekend...

The degree to which is relevant to the discussion of his contract status.

If pats can play a solid defensive game plan without spikes in there, then it would appear they have the depth (and maybe more important the leadership )to perhaps  let let him walk in free agency.

If however, this game shows an exposed unit that has no ability to make plays and get off the field....  Then it will show spikes' value to this team.  Even in victory the D needs to continue playing with the confidence and show the athleticism and aggressiveness that spikes delivered.

Its hard to quantify the impact exactly.but IMO the overall performance this week  (and the following) will say a lot. 

Whether the Pats beat the Colts or not has nothing to do with the fate of Spikes in New England. Even if he were healthy, he likely wouldn't be a key factor in stopping the Colts' offense. Spikes is, first and foremost, a run stuffer at ILB. Indy is not a smash mouth running team. They live and die on the arm of Andrew Luck. Their running game consists of using Donald Brown on draw plays, and occasional quick hitters. Brown is also effective as a receiver on screens and swing passes. In other words, Brown is a Kevin Faulk type player. Trent Richardson has been a disaster in Indy and, after his pathetic non-contact fumble last week, he may not even see the field this weekend: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/09/trent-richardson-feels-that-he-has-to-redeem-himself-for-fumbling/

Where Spikes will be missed is against physical running teams like the 49ers, Seahawks, and, to a lesser degree, the Broncos. Because of his limitations in pass coverage, I don't see any team offering him a huge amount of money in free agency.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think Spikes is gone, unless, as others say, he takes a team-friendly deal to stay in NE.  It's hard to imagine that the market for a 2-down linebacker will be ridiculous but I can imagine that BB, with other young LBs in Hightower, Collins and Fletcher, has Spikes' value set and will not overpay even by a little bit. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Spikes role as inspirational leader and standout player should be missed this weekend...

The degree to which is relevant to the discussion of his contract status.

If pats can play a solid defensive game plan without spikes in there, then it would appear they have the depth (and maybe more important the leadership )to perhaps  let let him walk in free agency.

If however, this game shows an exposed unit that has no ability to make plays and get off the field....  Then it will show spikes' value to this team.  Even in victory the D needs to continue playing with the confidence and show the athleticism and aggressiveness that spikes delivered.

Its hard to quantify the impact exactly.but IMO the overall performance this week  (and the following) will say a lot. 

Whether the Pats beat the Colts or not has nothing to do with the fate of Spikes in New England. Even if he were healthy, he likely wouldn't be a key factor in stopping the Colts' offense. Spikes is, first and foremost, a run stuffer at ILB. Indy is not a smash mouth running team. They live and die on the arm of Andrew Luck. Their running game consists of using Donald Brown on draw plays, and occasional quick hitters. Brown is also effective as a receiver on screens and swing passes. In other words, Brown is a Kevin Faulk type player. Trent Richardson has been a disaster in Indy and, after his pathetic non-contact fumble last week, he may not even see the field this weekend: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/09/trent-richardson-feels-that-he-has-to-redeem-himself-for-fumbling/

Where Spikes will be missed is against physical running teams like the 49ers, Seahawks, and, to a lesser degree, the Broncos. Because of his limitations in pass coverage, I don't see any team offering him a huge amount of money in free agency.  

Any team can run the ball if they take advantage of a mismatch or, outnumber defensive players who cannot get off blocks.  Hat on hat,  run the ball into the secondary....  This is what the Patriots will be facing this weekend.   It is essential to a defense to stop the run.  I don't care who your opponent is.   Losing spikes is just one of 11 players but he sets the tone on the field and is hard to block because he is always moving around.  

YOu contradict yourself in your post by saying Spikes won't be needed and then post a link about richardson looking to redeem himself....  how...?  as a wide receiver...?  Wrong .  Colts will come out running the ball and if the Patriots D does not stop them (a la Peyton mannning handing it off for 300 yards)  then it will be a disaster and Spikes will indeed have been a key defender....  and be missed.

• Sections
    Shortcuts