Defense Up To The Task?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Defense Up To The Task?

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20130905-its-time-for-patriots-defense-to-show-its-mettle.ece

Is this the season where there's just enough talent and experience for the defense to help win games? In addition, Patricia has gotten a pass in the past due to "the lack of talent". Does he need to step up his playcalling too?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Defense Up To The Task?

He has been needing to step up the calling, but he is working within a structured system so its hard to say if its him or BB. IS he scared to blitz and have someone get burned? I think so a little bit. We saw some agressiveness towards the end of last year once we got the man press thing going so we shall see, The potential is there. I have to see it. Mayo needs to lead more imo, and if u think im hating. Troy Brown said it too. We need someone to yell and step up when we are getting gashed for 1st down after 1st down. That used to be Willie, Teddy, etc. Maybe these young guys have more talent, but they have yet to show the grit, mental toughness, heart the older guys showed back in the day. Lets hope another year of exp. does it.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

He has been needing to step up the calling, but he is working within a structured system so its hard to say if its him or BB. IS he scared to blitz and have someone get burned? I think so a little bit. We saw some agressiveness towards the end of last year once we got the man press thing going so we shall see, The potential is there. I have to see it. Mayo needs to lead more imo, and if u think im hating. Troy Brown said it too. We need someone to yell and step up when we are getting gashed for 1st down after 1st down. That used to be Willie, Teddy, etc. Maybe these young guys have more talent, but they have yet to show the grit, mental toughness, heart the older guys showed back in the day. Lets hope another year of exp. does it.

I'm optimistic about this season....and agree with you

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Man, everytime I see us stuck on the field, I cringe and long for the days where our defense always had SOMEONE to step up when it was needed. Sometimes it was Bru, others it was Willie, Rodney, etc. I do recall one game( i wanna say vs Gmen and Kerry Collins) the Matt Catham game(he scooped up the fumble for a TD)  in 03. It was dan Klecko's rookie year. Klecko was on the sideline with the Defense after a series. He looked exhausted and overwhelmed. I recall him saying to Willie "Im tired" or something to that effect and Willie got in his face like "You aint got time to be tired!"  Its that Never say Die, no excuse attitude IMO that made that team special. Bruschi never letting us get complacement. You could just listen to an intv'w with him and get pumped up and want to play. They took it serious it like their life depending on it. Sometimes I wonder was that group of guys just something we will never see again cuz it sure has been hard getting back to that, but Im hopeful to see improvement atleast, but I fear we will never see anything like those dynasty years again, defensively I mean.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Man, everytime I see us stuck on the field, I cringe and long for the days where our defense always had SOMEONE to step up when it was needed. Sometimes it was Bru, others it was Willie, Rodney, etc. I do recall one game( i wanna say vs Gmen and Kerry Collins) the Matt Catham game(he scooped up the fumble for a TD)  in 03. It was dan Klecko's rookie year. Klecko was on the sideline with the Defense after a series. He looked exhausted and overwhelmed. I recall him saying to Willie "Im tired" or something to that effect and Willie got in his face like "You aint got time to be tired!"  Its that Never say Die, no excuse attitude IMO that made that team special. Bruschi never letting us get complacement. You could just listen to an intv'w with him and get pumped up and want to play. They took it serious it like their life depending on it. Sometimes I wonder was that group of guys just something we will never see again cuz it sure has been hard getting back to that, but Im hopeful to see improvement atleast, but I fear we will never see anything like those dynasty years again, defensively I mean.

everything comes and goes in cycles, it seems.  The stars have to align just right for "magical" things to happen...lol.

I understand about cringing.  Like u said, there was a time when you could sense that something positive was going to happen during close games and we'd end up on top. Nowadays, even if were up by 2 TDs....I monitor the clock and see the defense unravel when a big play is needed the most.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20130905-its-time-for-patriots-defense-to-show-its-mettle.ece

Is this the season where there's just enough talent and experience for the defense to help win games? In addition, Patricia has gotten a pass in the past due to "the lack of talent". Does he need to step up his playcalling too?

YES! but one will take care of the other. This year's D is talented, deep, with the key element being an improved secondary which has had valuable time to "gel". With an incredibley deep LB corps and an improved pass rush, talent is not the excuse. That said, Patricia is in store for a year in which he is deemed a play calling master tactician. Funny how that happens almost always when your talent and depth are up! One is essential for the other. Proper execution is the key, but even if a player makes a false step, we have guys who can recover and still make the play. GREAT ATHLETES on D this season with more than adequate depth means Patricia is a great play caller!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

I can name numerous games in 2010, 2011 and 2012 where the bailed out the offense.

Why is that the offense that does nothing for entire halves (remember XMAs eve vs Miami in 2011) or this past year's AFC Title game? I can name a dozen games where our offense did nothing for large chunks of the game or turned it over, putting our D on its heels relentlessly.

Enough with this myth that somehow the offense is above the defense because Brady is on it.

It's so old.

Will the offense not choke in January? THat is all I care about because I know this D, if realtively healthy through the year, will take another step.

Can we just get past the the myth that Brady has not let our team down and it's all on a D with first and second year guys on it?

Ugh.

It's so freaking annoying.  No accountability for the better side of the ball with Brady in January, more for the rookies or second year players because it's convenient to deflect from the reality.

Yea that young defense with guys like Mayo in their 6th year and Spikes in his 4th year. THen we got that Rookie Vince Wilfork! lmao @ you. Whats gonna be your excuse this year? Brady has 3 rookie WRs and Rookie TE who may play alot. You still gonna say the Offense SHOULD be better than the D and it has nothing to do with # 12?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

You recall listening into what Willie said on a sideline to a teammate? bawhaah

Just stop, dude.  Just stop.

This D has LED THE NFL IN CREATING TURNOVERS cumulatively for the last 3 years. Our dynasty Era D cannot say that.

The difference has been experience for the D and CRAPPIER Brady play. Brady.

We're not going down this road again. Our offense has sucked in the title games and some divisional rd games off a Bye Week with TWO WEEKS to prepare. They've crapped the bed!

Enormous pressure on our D on the field constantly with 3 and outs or turnovers, or just our offense not answering the bell in the offensive era.

Why are you laughing Bozo? You ever heard of 3 games to glory and cameras being on the sideline!?  Wow, this is why u are going back  on ignore. I Cant with you today. Its friday and I refuse. Go ruin someones elses day. and why the hell do you keep bringin up a meaningless regular season stat that does not translate into postseason. I mean in the 11 SB, the Defense acted like they were ALLERGIC to getting a TURNOVER! Thats like me saying to Jints, yea you guys won the SB, but we were 16-0 in reg. season!  NOW THAT IS FUNNY!  See ya Rusty!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

YES! but one will take care of the other. This year's D is talented, deep, with the key element being an improved secondary which has had valuable time to "gel". With an incredibley deep LB corps and an improved pass rush, talent is not the excuse. That said, Patricia is in store for a year in which he is deemed a play calling master tactician. Funny how that happens almost always when your talent and depth are up! Once is essential for the other. Proper execution is the key, but even if a player makes a flase step, we have guys who can recover and still make the play. GREAT ATHLETES on D this season with more than adequate depth means Patricia is a great play caller!

I agree with with most of this post, however, the secondy worries me still. I think the coaching back there may be an issue. Turn your head this year boys!

The key this year must be Jones getting after the QB. I predict a big year for Jones (14 sacks) and that will free up Nink to have 10 sacks. The the DB'S will look great back there for 3 or 4 seconds before the ball is out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

YES! but one will take care of the other. This year's D is talented, deep, with the key element being an improved secondary which has had valuable time to "gel". With an incredibley deep LB corps and an improved pass rush, talent is not the excuse. That said, Patricia is in store for a year in which he is deemed a play calling master tactician. Funny how that happens almost always when your talent and depth are up! One is essential for the other. Proper execution is the key, but even if a player makes a false step, we have guys who can recover and still make the play. GREAT ATHLETES on D this season with more than adequate depth means Patricia is a great play caller!

well, talent is important, but I don't think great play calling will result from it, do you?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Four out of our five top selections in the draft were placed on defensive players for a reason (we weren't very good)...it's time for them to be good. This defense is going to have to carry the offense for a change...no more 3rd and 100's being completed between two safeties that look like they've never seen a football before. No more bad angles from defensive backs - I swear I have heard the term "bad angle" more times over the last three years than I've blinked. No more opposing quarterbacks feeling like they are in the most safest spot on the planet (in front of our pass rush), while they fire off pass, after pass...with little skill, trouble or care. A blind quarterback with no arms, facing the wrong way could of completed passes on our defense last year before Talib got there.

No more being the worst - it's been five damn years of "rebuilding" - we need to see the finished product winning games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to thehub's comment:

I agree with with most of this post, however, the secondy worries me still. I think the coaching back there may be an issue. Turn your head this year boys!

The key this year must be Jones getting after the QB. I predict a big year for Jones (14 sacks) and that will free up Nink to have 10 sacks. The the DB'S will look great back there for 3 or 4 seconds before the ball is out.

true...how many times last year were the dBs looking at the receiver and not knowing when/where the ball was?

If our pass rush can excel this year...it'll mask any db weaknesses we have in pass coverage

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Four out of our five top selections in the draft were placed on defensive players for a reason (we weren't very good)...it's time for them to be good. This defense is going to have to carry the offense for a change...no more 3rd and 100's being completed between two safeties that look like they've never seen a football before. No more bad angles from defensive backs - I swear I have heard the term "bad angle" more times over the last three years than I've blinked. No more opposing quarterbacks feeling like they are in the most safest spot on the planet (in front of our pass rush), while they fire off pass, after pass...with little skill, trouble or care. A blind quarterback with no arms, facing the wrong way could of completed passes on our defense last year before Talib got there.

No more being the worst - it's been five damn years of "rebuilding" - we need to see the finished product winning games.

Amen Brotha!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Be nice if we had a formidable RUNNING GAME those years too.........hopefully this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I wouldn't say that the defense has to carry the offense, but rather, they need to start pulling their weight -  and make timely stops when needed the most. It's time for them to be able to get off the field in a more timely manner, giving the offense an additional possession or two - just complemenatry footbal. It's not about becoming a defensive juggernaut from an offensive one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

They just need to do a better job of getting off the field on 3rd downs. They have ranked near the bottom of the league the last 5 years.

If they improve on that they will be a top 10 D.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamspuriousbabe. Show iamspuriousbabe's posts

I wouldn't say that the defense has to carry the offense, but rather, they need to start pulling their weight -  and make timely stops when needed the most. It's time for them to be able to get off the field in a more timely manner, giving the offense an additional possession or two - just complemenatry footbal. It's not about becoming a defensive juggernaut from an offensive one.

Is it like when Brady threw that INT in Washington in 2011 when he threw late and had too much air under it to Underwood from the freaking 3 yard line and it was predictably picked? That game?, That was when Mayo had an INT to ice the game for us.  

Brady was constantly doing things in 2011 in terms of putting our D back on the field much quicker than the average team.

Kinda like that, troll?

Huh?

Hmm?

It's a myth our D doesn't carry their own weight. A big reason why we ran more plays than anyone in NFL history last year was not only the use of the hurry up, but because our D led the AFC yet again in creating turnovers so our offense could try to score more.

And yes, I know you have me on ignore. It still doesn't mean your premise of our D being held to a different standard than the offense, shouldn't be exposed. lmao

I'm sure you have long since figured out that all these folks that were crowing two days ago about "ignoring" people constantly undo "ignore" to see what people are saying about them...LMAO...human nature is a trip...Phat Rex reads it all...his poor self esteem dictates that his ego is so far outsized that he even thinks he's outsmarting people about his many names here...he's such a dumbazz...what's hilarious are all the idiots here who don't realize it...it's actually sad...f em all ...never underestimate peoples ability to be just jack stupid!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

everything comes and goes in cycles, it seems.  The stars have to align just right for "magical" things to happen...lol.

I understand about cringing.  Like u said, there was a time when you could sense that something positive was going to happen during close games and we'd end up on top. Nowadays, even if were up by 2 TDs....I monitor the clock and see the defense unravel when a big play is needed the most.

I am probably one of the most positive here, but I live with those cringing moments too

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I can name numerous games in 2010, 2011 and 2012 where the bailed out the offense.

Why is that the offense that does nothing for entire halves (remember XMAs eve vs Miami in 2011?) or this past year's AFC Title game? I can name a dozen games where our offense did nothing for large chunks of the game or turned it over, putting our D on its heels relentlessly.

Enough with this myth that somehow the offense is above the defense because Brady is on it.

It's so old.

Will the offense not choke in January? THat is all I care about because I know this D, if realtively healthy through the year, will take another step.

Can we just get past the the myth that Brady has not let our team down and it's all on a D with first and second year guys on it?

Ugh.

It's so freaking annoying.  No accountability for the better side of the ball with Brady in January, more for the rookies or second year players because it's convenient to deflect from the reality.

My cringing moments  include the offense too lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I think each side here is looking for more from the other side. because in some of these games we start slow on O, and the D keeps us there, then in the 4th we take a lead on O and the D doesn't hold up. (42 and 46). Times the O didn't convert, times the D didn't stop. 

if we win this year both sides will have to be respectfully right on the D and the O,

I cannot wait for Spikes to cream someone. He is our enforcer. , and I think this is the most balanced in a long time . Too much WW, too much Moss and no vertical receivers. We may have been able to get away with it but Gronk was hurt. and I agree with Rusty lets stay in this seaon. It will be a lot more fun.    I blame more than TB when the O fails (like the WW drops) but it just doesn't make any difference for this season. 

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I think there is more talent everywhere. on O and on D

My favorite season was when TBs favorite receiver was "the open man".

When Moss got here , that was lost.   I don't think there was enough talent at WR. TB is great going thru the progressions, but if only 2 guys can get open, the other team isn't stupid and we get erratic play. Because they can defend easier. The Giant and Balt figured this out. Even Rex knew it.  then sxxx happens.

Like the ball held too long and 1) TB screws up, 2)the Oline is overwhelmed . I thought there times the Oline was in a battle and couldn't even run block.

i see more talent and versatility to help us out.And we r better without an aging WW. Who I thought a warrior, who got beat up, who dropped passes. Exactly what our DBS used to do during our winning SB yrs with Rodney and before.

I think BB has known it. Look at his Football Life. He said it. Add that no one is perfect and we got what we got. if Bb could have changed things he would have. The big numbers against lesser teams hid this. Against teams that had our kryptonite. we had fewer options. We were in battle. We had injuries. We had no luck.

the other discussion I would like this blog to discuss is TB vs man2man and zone. Against M2m if the receivers don't get open, the odds go against the QB. In zone he can find the soft spot..Could this too have been one of the Os problems?

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Why is that the offense that does nothing for entire halves (remember XMAs eve vs Miami in 2011?) or this past year's AFC Title game? I can name a dozen games where our offense did nothing for large chunks of the game or turned it over, putting our D on its heels relentlessly.

It's so old.

Ugh.

ur D in the clutch melts like ice cream in july...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

You recall listening into what Willie said on a sideline to a teammate? bawhaah

Just stop, dude.  Just stop.

This D has LED THE NFL IN CREATING TURNOVERS cumulatively for the last 3 years. Our dynasty Era D cannot say that.

The difference has been experience for the D and CRAPPIER Brady play. Brady.

We're not going down this road again. Our offense has sucked in the title games and some divisional rd games off a Bye Week with TWO WEEKS to prepare. They've crapped the bed!

Enormous pressure on our D on the field constantly with 3 and outs or turnovers, or just our offense not answering the bell in the offensive era.

ur D in the clutch melts like sherbert in august...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

The rebuilding approach through the draft once the lockout became a reality or a known thing, was in 2010.

It's 2013.

It's not five years at all. Brady and Welker also choked it down in SB 46, which makes it appear worse than this is. That was 2011. So, this isn't "five years ago".

I am still reeling from XMas eve 2011 when our offense did not cross midfield for the entire first half. Literally! Could not cross midfield vs Miami.  lmao

Just forget it. We're 48 hours away from the season starting and you're still looking to excuse Brady from his own mistakes in SB 46 or poor play last January when our offense could have picked up our D for once with Talib and Jones down.

Brady sucked, so it didn't happen.

We're going on YEARS, since 2005 of Brady mediocre or poor in the postseason, minus like 3 games (Jax, Denver or Houston).

Brady's last 3 Conf Title games at home show us 3 TDs and 7 INTs. It doesn't matter what our D does in situations like that. The D bailed him out in 2007 and 2011, but couldn't do it last year.

Golly gee, aw shucks, let's blame the D that supposedly is so bad.

ur D in the clutch melts like icicles in may

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Is it like when Brady threw that INT in Washington in 2011 when he threw late and had too much air under it to Underwood from the freaking 3 yard line and it was predictably picked? That game?, That was when Mayo had an INT to ice the game for us.  

Brady was constantly doing things in 2011 in terms of putting our D back on the field much quicker than the average team.

Kinda like that, troll?

Huh?

Hmm?

It's a myth our D doesn't carry their own weight. A big reason why we ran more plays than anyone in NFL history last year was not only the use of the hurry up, but because our D led the AFC yet again in creating turnovers so our offense could try to score more.

And yes, I know you have me on ignore. It still doesn't mean your premise of our D being held to a different standard than the offense, shouldn't be exposed. lmao

ur D in the clutch melts like an igloo in the desert

Sections
Shortcuts