Defense will dictate how far the Pats advance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Defense will dictate how far the Pats advance

You always hear that defenses wins championships and I believe that. Look at the Packers run the Super Bowl. Aaron Rodgers and the Offense got all the attention and rightfully so, overlooked was their defense. The Steelers which we all know about the history of oustanding defensive play, enough said there. Look at the San Francisco 49ers when they won their 5 SB's. The offense (Montana Young, Rice, and others) got all the attention, often forgotten and overlooked his how good those 49ers' defenses were in 1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, and 1994. Look at Super Bowl XIX and that 49ers defense did against the great Dan Marino. Look at the Dallas Cowboys when they won their 5 SB's in 1971, 1977, 1992, 1993, and 1995. The offense (Staubach, Pearson, Dorsett, Aikman, Irvin, and Smith) all the attention, same as the 49ers, the defenses got overlooked. Look at the Pats teams (2001, 2003, and 2004) and how good those defenses were. These are just a few examples of why I believe defenses win championships because offenses are going to hit a lull's in a season and sometimes at the wrong time. Look at the last two years, Pats have gone one and done in the playoffs because 1.) There young & 2.) There just not getting it done. If the Pats want to go deep into the playoffs, defense is going to have to pick it up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Defense will dictate how far the Pats advance

I think the formula is; Strong D + outstanding QB = Best chance to win a titlte

.....in today's NFL.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I agree. Their offense is good enough to beat any team in the NFL if the defense can just get off the field. One of the big problems with the loss to the Jets is that the D just couldn't get stops, and their drives lasted a long time, wearing out the players further and leaving the offense sitting on the sideline.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BB-IS-BEST. Show BB-IS-BEST's posts

Offense wins championships, defense keeps you in the game. A team needs a great offense to put up the points and burn time off the clock at the end. The defense doesn't need to be great, just clutch. A defense that doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and doesn't commit dumb penalties. I believe this is what BB is going for. Not an outstanding D, just a reliable one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Defense will dictate how far the Pats advance:
    [QUOTE]Offense wins championships, defense keeps you in the game. A team needs a great offense to put up the points and burn time off the clock at the end. The defense doesn't need to be great, just clutch. A defense that doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and doesn't commit dumb penalties. I believe this is what BB is going for. Not an outstanding D, just a reliable one.
    Posted by BB-IS-BEST[/QUOTE]

You're a pioneer my friend!! Offense wins Championships? Bill is not looking for a defense that is great? I mean yeah we have the best QB of all time and a few years back the best offense the league has ever seen and we lost to a better defensive team- that had a pitiful offense- but those just mere hiccups in this bullet proof philosophy of yours.
    You are a pioneer!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Defense will dictate how far the Pats advance:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense will dictate how far the Pats advance : Yes because being a pass first dink and dunk offense, the best thing to do is try to run against a top 5 run D. And they really need to improve on that offense that turned the ball over fewer times than ANY team in the NFL.  How about getting a defense that can play without having a 14 point lead? 
    Posted by McCheaters[/QUOTE]

We all agree our D needs to step up, but the point he was trying to amke was to also keep opposing defenses honest.  I completely agree with that idea.    Have to make teams respect the run as well.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I disagree.  We lost in 07, last year and the year before because we couldn't score.  You need to be able to run the ball, at will,  to win in the playoffs.  Remember we won Super Bowls with Smith and Dillion running people over.  Now hopefully the draft picks will give us the same.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

You need playmakers on both sides of the ball.

I believe the Patriots have them.

They just need to show up in the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

Spikes is going to hurt some people

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

First we get two starters who missed all of last season back in Warren and Bodden. Then the D did play much better in the 2nd half vs the 1st half. If they continue to improve factoring in the number of first year starters we had last year with a 2nd full year of starting/NFL experience. Can see a nice step up for our defense in 2011.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Our D was also without Mike Wright, this left a huge hole up front and 5.5 sacks in half a season led the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

No doubt the D has to play better. I'd like to see us play better situational stuff (3rd and short, Red Zone....etc..)myself. It just seemed like the D was on the field way to often and started to wear down. More three and outs would be nice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The thing about just pounding the ball late in the fourth quarter, is that you have to have a decent lead to do that. You can argue, well the offense needs to score more, but generally speaking the defense needs to keep a lead when you score some points. It can't be a nail bitter of a game at a score of 34 to 31 and expect to be able to pound it or blame the offense. You've got to be able to consistently keep good teams from putting up a lot of points and then see if you're able to pound it, chew up the clock and break a teams will. Can we pound it? I'm not sure. Will we be in position to pound it? Not the way the defense is right now, too many third and longs get completed, too many 3rd and shorts get converted, too many qb's have all day to look over the field, our secondary is hung out to dry too often, too many blown assignments and missed tackles at the worst times.

The D has to play almost perfect to make up for the lack of a pass rush and play makers. No defense can do that will all the rules (pass interference, roughing the passer, defensive holding calls) that help an offense and carve up mediocre defenses.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Balance wins championships. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

We have a lot of youth on D. This excites me. we're going to be strong for a few years to come. As far as the O, I believe we're a Cory dillion away from being unstoppable. In the Jets playoff game they dared us to run the ball. we couldnt do it and thus got it handed to us. Regardless of the Crumpler drop and Bradys int.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Offense wins games.  Defense wins championships.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I think its asking much of Brady but I think he will have to put this team on his shoulders in the postseason.

You can see Bill doesn't want that to happen as in the divisional game he placed a lot of pressure on the defense but its good for them. The young guys proved last year all they needed were 1-2 games to learn from their mistakes. 

I think a title in the next couple years is 100% it just depends whether or not Brady is carrying us to the finish line or its a total team effort which all of our titles before were.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Playing well when it counts is all that matters and not turning over the ball. You can have the best offense and defense in the league but none of the matters if you lay an egg when it counts. The Patriots have not played their best football the last 3 playoff games so they lost. It's as simple as that. You cannot beat the top tier teams with a C or B- game when the other team comes with an A game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think its asking much of Brady but I think he will have to put this team on his shoulders in the postseason.

I think thats what happened the last ton years in the playoffs. We didn't run the ball..  I think we should run first and let the play action open up.

Sections
Shortcuts