Defense wins championships

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

Defense wins championships

It was apparant yesterday that we needed a more stiff defense. That 2nd half drive and score by Sanchez out the game 2 scores ahead. The Jets defense kept TB and company from scoring 2 or 3 times in or near the redzone. FG's don't win championships either. The defense of the Pats stepped up more than expected this year, but they could not stop the Offense of the Jets. Remember they have LT, Edwards, Holmes, and a mean offensive line too. They have a lot of playmakers on defense. Revis, Cromartie, Ellis, Bart Scott (a n u s), etc. All in all it was a good year. I was disppointed to have a 14-2 season and to go 1 and out. It is what it is. Last Sunday we were not the better team. (please replace "I" for "patriots" for those sensitive to this nomenclature).

See ya draft time!

P.S. the defense did have some major injuries too.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

Re: Defense wins championships

In Response to Re: Defense wins championships:
    [QUOTE]no no no no no no no no way!  This is a QB driven league.  Defense is irrelevant.  I heard that from rusty pinkhat.
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

No, idiot. Defense is relevant. It is part of a football team.

By the way, why a Jets fan doing in Bostom dot com?  Please, go and stuck on someone's else toes. I hope Sanchez's arm disjointed that he can't play anymore on Sunday.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mplsnick. Show mplsnick's posts

Not so true these days.  New Orleans and Indianapolis are two recent Super Bowl winners who had dominating offenses and mediocre defenses.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

As long as the defense plays well, however, it can happen. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense wins championships : Spoen by a fan of a team that couldn't stop a feather if its life depended upon it. If we're going to ask why Jests fans are here, we need to also ask why a fan of the Horsefaces, Underpants, is here as well. Why is Underpants here on boston.com?  Is he criminally insane?  Or a Sarah Palin fan?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]
    And yet your team's current 5 year record vs the colts is 2-5.  Go figure. 

66 - you are as much of a trash talker as anyone.  Its nice to see you reduced to "why are you here" comments. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

no doubt about it that defense wins championships.  offense wins games.  No doubt you need the total package in all three phases but its all about the D.

We already have some key players in place: Wilfork / Mayo and now McCourty!

Now let's just build around these guys.  We have to get back to our days of defense!  Then you'll see the Pats winning championships again, mark my words. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense wins championships : And yet your team's current 5 year record vs the colts is 2-5.  Go figure.  66 - you are as much of a trash talker as anyone.  Its nice to see you reduced to "why are you here" comments. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Good thing you limited it to five years. We wouldn't want to look at the Colts record against the Pats before that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

You need a little bit of everything to win a championship including luck but a good solid defense certainly helps the cause. The Pats are on their way. This line Sukksit with all the injuries we've had. We need somebody besides Vince because Ty Warren is always hurt and Mike Wright isn't starting material on the end, even if he does come back full strength next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense wins championships : Good thing you limited it to five years. We wouldn't want to look at the Colts record against the Pats before that.
    Posted by niz-58[/QUOTE]

You may feel free to choose whatever length of time you wish.  Certainly mine puts the colts in a more favorable light, but it is also more relevant. 

For example, how many players are still on the pats and colts since the pats last superbowl victory?  Not many.  Thus the relevance of going back that far or further diminishes significantly to what's happened recently. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

[QUOTE]You need a little bit of everything to win a championship including luck but a good solid defense certainly helps the cause. The Pats are on their way. This line Sukksit with all the injuries we've had. We need somebody besides Vince because Ty Warren is always hurt and Mike Wright isn't starting material on the end, even if he does come back full strength next year.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]
    LB's are the key, look at the remaining 4 teams, Jets, Steelers, Bears and Packers, all have dominant LB's. The Pats pass rush was non-existant against the Jets! The Pats never replaced Ted Johnson, Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel or Willy McGinest. The current crop of LB's w/the exception of Mayo is average at best. Hopefully BB will use the bountiful 2011 draft picks to acquire a Demarcus Ware type OLB and a Ray Lewis type ILB. The OL also needs some fresh blood. Also get a new OC, the current one needs to go! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense wins championships : You may feel free to choose whatever length of time you wish.  Certainly mine puts the colts in a more favorable light, but it is also more relevant.  For example, how many players are still on the pats and colts since the pats last superbowl victory?  Not many.  Thus the relevance of going back that far or further diminishes significantly to what's happened recently. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Just think, another five years with that record and the Colts will manage to break .500 against Brady and Belichick. Impressive...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense wins championships : You may feel free to choose whatever length of time you wish.  Certainly mine puts the colts in a more favorable light, but it is also more relevant.  For example, how many players are still on the pats and colts since the pats last superbowl victory?  Not many.  Thus the relevance of going back that far or further diminishes significantly to what's happened recently. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]
    And if going back diminishes the significance of the record, let's just look at this year. ;-)

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to do that either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense wins championships : LB's are the key, look at the remaining 4 teams, Jets, Steelers, Bears and Packers, all have dominant LB's. The Pats pass rush was non-existant against the Jets! The Pats never replaced Ted Johnson, Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel or Willy McGinest. The current crop of LB's w/the exception of Mayo is average at best. Hopefully BB will use the bountiful 2011 draft picks to acquire a Demarcus Ware type OLB and a Ray Lewis type ILB. The OL also needs some fresh blood. Also get a new OC, the current one needs to go! 
    Posted by MarylandFan[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with that Maryland. I think we need a little bit of both OLB and DE. We have draft picks and money to spend so I hope we make a big splash in free agency and the draft this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

In Response to Defense wins championships:
    [QUOTE]It was apparant yesterday that we needed a more stiff defense. That 2nd half drive and score by Sanchez out the game 2 scores ahead. The Jets defense kept TB and company from scoring 2 or 3 times in or near the redzone. FG's don't win championships either. The defense of the Pats stepped up more than expected this year, but they could not stop the Offense of the Jets. Remember they have LT, Edwards, Holmes, and a mean offensive line too. They have a lot of playmakers on defense. Revis, Cromartie, Ellis, Bart Scott (a n u s), etc. All in all it was a good year. I was disppointed to have a 14-2 season and to go 1 and out. It is what it is. Last Sunday we were not the better team. (please replace "I" for "patriots" for those sensitive to this nomenclature). See ya draft time! P.S. the defense did have some major injuries too.
    Posted by Bergzilla[/QUOTE]
    -------
    The Pats gave up 1 scoring drive of over 37 yards.  The defense was decent in that game.  They couldnt get a good pass rush when needed which did hurt.  If G Warrens returns for 2011, the D line should be good (Warren-Wilfork-Warren).  You have to remember that Brace and Wright were IR'd.  The Pats DO have depth when everyone isnt injured.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Anyone who thinks the defense lost this game is an imbecile.  Ask Bill O'Brien.  Keep calling those shotguns against a team that blitzes 75% of the time!  Good work, O'Brien!

Nice to see you brain f*rt in a playoff game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense wins championships : And yet your team's current 5 year record vs the colts is 2-5.  Go figure.  66 - you are as much of a trash talker as anyone.  Its nice to see you reduced to "why are you here" comments. 
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Matt Cassel and Bill Polian say hi. As does 4th and 2.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pymus1. Show pymus1's posts

I still think in the play-offs the momentum goes to the team who is fighting their way up rather than the team who is trying to stay at the top. We saw this happen to Indy countless times over the years. Rerun is also correct - a lot of it is luck. I can still picture Rex Ryan laughing with his tongue hanging out of his mouth at the end of the Indy game because he couldn't believe he one that one by a point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

If you want relevant Colts-Pats it's Pats 1 - Colts 0.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense wins championships : If you want relevant Colts-Pats it's Pats 1 - Colts 0.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

IUD decided he rather not talk about that any longer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense wins championships : If you want relevant Colts-Pats it's Pats 1 - Colts 0.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

That is more like it. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Pats allowed just a few more points on the season than NY did. Hmmm.

NE also played the best defense of any  team (by far) in December.

15 players on IR.

I'd say they did pretty good, especially for fielding the youngest D in the league.

One set of rules/barometers for 31 teams, one special set for the Patriots.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Rusty - why do you think the pats lost?  No BS. 

Sections
Shortcuts