Defensive line inadequacies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joflynny. Show joflynny's posts

Defensive line inadequacies

In the offseason the Pats removed allmost all semblance of their once vaunted
    defence.  The Last change just prior to season opener was the most damaging because it removed a stellar defensive end who still has contributions to make.
      This was the most damaging blow because it removed someone that quite often
    in a game reguires double coverage (2 blockers) Combining this factor with Wilfork's double draw capability and their d. line always had reasonable push. Now it has none or little.  Whether injuries to Green and Warren have also hurt
    is somewhat also debatable.  I know their corners and safeties are young but
    without a rush of some sort they don't have a chance. Brees Looked like Brady
    in the Patriots peak.  So , my opinion is that the secondary looked bad but it's 
    not  all their fault. The defensive line and linebackers did not get the push at
    all during the game leaving Brees to take his time and wait for the open man
    and he had plenty of it.  Going forward, i don't see them doing much with the
    defensive configuration such as it is.   I honestly hope i'm wrong but have to see
    it happen first.   Add that to a beat up offensive line and it's a rocky road ahead.
    One last thing. What happened to their ability even during the season to pick
    up someone signifigant even an older lineman etc.  Did that go with Pioli?
    John Flynn  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Re: Defensive line inadequacies

In Response to Defensive line inadequacies:
      In the offseason the Pats removed allmost all semblance of their once vaunted defence.  The Last change just prior to season opener was the most damaging because it removed a stellar defensive end who still has contributions to make.   This was the most damaging blow because it removed someone that quite often in a game reguires double coverage (2 blockers) Combining this factor with Wilfork's double draw capability and their d. line always had reasonable push. Now it has none or little.  Whether injuries to Green and Warren have also hurt is somewhat also debatable.  I know their corners and safeties are young but without a rush of some sort they don't have a chance. Brees Looked like Brady in the Patriots peak.  So , my opinion is that the secondary looked bad but it's  not  all their fault. The defensive line and linebackers did not get the push at all during the game leaving Brees to take his time and wait for the open man and he had plenty of it.  Going forward, i don't see them doing much with the defensive configuration such as it is.   I honestly hope i'm wrong but have to see it happen first.   Add that to a beat up offensive line and it's a rocky road ahead. One last thing. What happened to their ability even during the season to pick up someone signifigant even an older lineman etc.  Did that go with Pioli? John Flynn      
    Posted by joflynny

Help is on the way.  The Fins' center Jake Grove is out.  It's Joe Berger vs. Woolfork.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I would agree with you that the defensive line is the biggest weekness on the Pats defense.  The Seymour deal I think was a necessary evil.  Would they have been better this year with Seymour- Yes.  Would they have been better next year or the next six years- no. 

Seymour is on the downside of his career and while still very good was not his best, maybe he was waiting for his contract year to turn it up.  Either way he was gone after the 2009 season and the Pats weren't going to get anything for him.  The oppurtunity to get another Seymour in the draft and use Seymour's money to resign Wilfork is probably what BB was thinking.  As far a picking up big free agents for the line, I don't think there are many to be had.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

It doesn't look like there's a ton out there in terms of pass rushing d-linemen.  The 2 names that stick out to me are Pepper$ and Vanden Bosch.  Aaron Kampman is also a free agent but he's getting up there in age and his production has declined each year since he had 15 sacks.  My hope is that they throw together something for next season and use the Oakland pick on a monster end.  Although another full year of no pass rush could get mighty frustrating!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81423860&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Sections
Shortcuts