Defensive question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Defensive question

What do you think makes a defense better?  Having a good line and ok corners. Or good corners and an ok line. Personally I think that a good line makes everyone behind them look better. I think making the qb move is the key.  If Brady stands in the pocket he eats teams. Look at his older film he gods hammered a lot after he got rid of the ball. Not so much now, something to be said about fatherhood I guess. 

I can't see how " coverage sacks" are as frequent as penetration sacks. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Defensive question

Six of one half a dozen of the other?

I guess I would take good line. Having elite corners can work really well too though. But a great line works well against the run ideally as well. 

In reality, championship defenses have both. You can't really have any part of your team be total trash because it always bites you in the rear end. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I guess I would take good line. Having elite corners can work really well too though. But a great line works well against the run ideally as well. 

In reality, championship defenses have both. You can't really have any part of your team be total trash because it always bites you in the rear end. 

Ill agree with this but when you dump a lot of cap into cb like Tampa vs paying a guy like big Vince.   The good line I think takes away the big play more then good corners, the plays are over quicker.  Looks like we may have a respectable pass rush this year. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A good line is the foundation you build on, while corners are like the roof over your head.  You need the foundation first because it supports the roof, but if you lack the roof, you still get wet when it rains. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

The line has a bigger impact IMO . Even a great corner will get beat at some point if the QB has all day to throw, it's impossible to stay with the receiver every second. A pass rusher or two can end the play in a couple of seconds. They are all important but I'll take d-line any day over the other defensive positions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Ill agree with this but when you dump a lot of cap into cb like Tampa vs paying a guy like big Vince.   The good line I think takes away the big play more then good corners, the plays are over quicker.  Looks like we may have a respectable pass rush this year. 

Agree...see 2007 giants ...amazing line, decent secondary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

What do you think makes a defense better?  Having a good line and ok corners. Or good corners and an ok line. Personally I think that a good line makes everyone behind them look better. I think making the qb move is the key.  If Brady stands in the pocket he eats teams. Look at his older film he gods hammered a lot after he got rid of the ball. Not so much now, something to be said about fatherhood I guess. 

I can't see how " coverage sacks" are as frequent as penetration sacks. 

Just ask what the Baltimore Ravens were like when they won last year. Or even NYG before that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In today's NFL its the line. Rules have not changed. Only thing is you cant clock him in the head. Always was roughing the Passer, just a lot more wimpy today.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Am still concerned about DT.

On one hand, I'd prefer that he sits out more snaps per game. I think that will help him be more effective each game and at the end end of the season.

On the other hand, last year, the D really had problems when VW was out. 

I really hope Kelly does not turn out to be another Albert and Armstead lives up to the expectation

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If you have a dominating front you can get away with a weaker secondary, especially if you have a decent safety or two, this explains how teams like the Steelers and Ravens have gone so long with weak corners.  If I'm wrong please explain how every time corners leave these teams via free agency, they go from All Pro talents to cap casualties within three years upon arriving with their new teams.  Also when the Steelers started to lose their defensive front, their secondary became exposed and they fell apart quickly.  

Duane Starks comes to mind...

The Patriots have hovered somewhere around the middle of late, some good and bad on the front and back end, considering we never had a losing season to "rebuild" like 99% of the rest of the NFL has I would call it a raging success, especially if we finally field a top ten defense for the next few years and win at least one more ring.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

A good line is the foundation you build on, while corners are like the roof over your head.  You need the foundation first because it supports the roof, but if you lack the roof, you still get wet when it rains. 

You just dropped a gem here Pro. Well done good sir.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

You just dropped a gem here Pro. Well done good sir.

I said that in my first post.  lmao

Prolate pulled a Borges and plagiarized. 

Rusty, I hadn't actually read your post when I wrote mine, but I see you did use a similar (though not exact) analogy. So sure you can take credit for using it first.

And thanks Champ for the compliment . . .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

If front 7 can get pressure on QB, it can mask out weaknesses in DB corp.  If you've got a weak front 7, it doesn't make a difference how good ur DBs are, eventually receivers will get open if you give the QB enough time.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

If you have a dominating front you can get away with a weaker secondary, especially if you have a decent safety or two, this explains how teams like the Steelers and Ravens have gone so long with weak corners.  If I'm wrong please explain how every time corners leave these teams via free agency, they go from All Pro talents to cap casualties within three years upon arriving with their new teams.  Also when the Steelers started to lose their defensive front, their secondary became exposed and they fell apart quickly.  

Duane Starks comes to mind...

The Patriots have hovered somewhere around the middle of late, some good and bad on the front and back end, considering we never had a losing season to "rebuild" like 99% of the rest of the NFL has I would call it a raging success, especially if we finally field a top ten defense for the next few years and win at least one more ring.

I would say lower to middle.  Pats need to try to get back in top 5 for points against and maybe 10-15 in passing yards against, clamp down on red zone d.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

When we were winning championships we rolled three first round draft picks out there on the defensive line, it didn't matter that our secondary was in shambles with injury...we still played good defense. I think Dennard and Talib give us two good starting corners, the question is if our line will be able to generate pressure without sending extra people. If it is, it won't matter so much of who is back there.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

^^^ Took the words out of my mouth.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.