Defensive Scheme for Sunday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Defensive Scheme for Sunday

How do you think NE will defend against the Jets?

It appears their offense is centered around getting the ball to Washington/Jones/Keller.  IMO they don't have the talent on the outside to stretch the field (Cotchery isn't bad, but is no TO/Lee Evans), so you will see alot of underneath, intermediate and screen passes.

Will we see more Ron Brace coupled with Wilfork in the 4-3 on running downs? An extra DB/LB down in the box (possibly Chung) to defend against the screen?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Defensive Scheme for Sunday

Four words my friend, just stop the run!

If Sanchez is going to beat you let him do it. I'll take Wilhite and Bodden over Cocktery and whoever the Jets #2 receiver is. Let Meriweather free roam and Sanders prevent the deep ball. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Defensive Scheme for Sunday:
    [QUOTE]Four words my friend, just stop the run! If Sanchez is going to beat you let him do it. I'll take Wilhite and Bodden over Cocktery and whoever the Jets #2 receiver is. Let Meriweather free roam and Sanders prevent the deep ball. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Also need to stop the screen play, Buffalo killed us with it on Monday and I would say Washington is better player than Fred Jackson. 

I'm all for letting Sanchez attempting to beat NE over the top, but you need to stop the underneath passes.

Do you think we'll see Brace on running downs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

We need to stop those runs to the outside, but Thomas and marginally Woods are the only 3-4 OLB who can do it, maybe Ninkovich can.  TBC and Burgess can't.  But if Thomas plays 3-4 OLB, that leaves Guyton and Alexander inside with no one behind them on the depth chart.  Pats really are thin at LB.  We might be forced to play 4-3 a lot this season.  So either start Ninkovich at ROLB or use the 4-3.  Sure BB will figure it out. 

Maybe a "4-3 Over" I think it's called where you bring a linebacker down to the line:
                               Sanders
                                                                Merriweather

Bodden                                                                                   Springs
                                         Guyton                  Thomas

Woods       Green        Wilfork      Wright     Warren

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Brace didnt play much against Buffalo and unless there are injuries on the D line I cant envision that changing much.  He and Wilfork basically play the same position in the 3/4 or 4/3 only Vince is way advanced, give the kid some time and we'll see him.

I think we'll see a lot of what we saw against the Bills; a 4/3 to start on running downs and a variation on passing downs with two down lineman, Warren (Wright) and Vince, with Burgess and Tully Banta Cain playing ends with a hand down providing pressure.  Screen plays shouldnt be as effective because Guyton will have a week to work at middle linebacker and the Jets wont be running the no huddle.

I think the Jests are getting way too much credit; they beat an overrated, weak team in the first game who made some huge coverage mistakes giving up easy touchdowns in the season opener... which by the way is no indicator of how the rest of the season will play out.  Dont expect to see the PAT's team from the first half of the Bills opener but rather the team from the 2nd half.  Sanchez is in trouble...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Brace didnt play much against Buffalo and unless there are injuries on the D line I cant envision that changing much.  He and Wilfork basically play the same position in the 3/4 or 4/3 only Vince is way advanced, give the kid some time and we'll see him. I think we'll see a lot of what we saw against the Bills; a 4/3 to start on running downs and a variation on passing downs with two down lineman, Warren (Wright) and Vince, with Burgess and Tully Banta Cain playing ends with a hand down providing pressure.  Screen plays shouldnt be as effective because Guyton will have a week to work at middle linebacker and the Jets wont be running the no huddle. I think the Jests are getting way too much credit; they beat an overrated, weak team in the first game who made some huge coverage mistakes giving up easy touchdowns in the season opener... which by the way is no indicator of how the rest of the season will play out.  Dont expect to see the PAT's team from the first half of the Bills opener but rather the team from the 2nd half.  Sanchez is in trouble...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure Guyton having a week to work at middle linebacker will have a huge impact on how they defend the screen, but I agree that the Jets not running a no huddle will benefit NE and how they're able to adjust to situational football, get players in and out.

I for one am not one of the people giving the Jets a ton of credit for beating Houston, it's one win against a historically bad team.  They do however have some decent weapons (Washington/Jones/Keller) on offense that need some attention.

I see a 31-14 NE victory.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defensive Scheme for Sunday : I'm not sure Guyton having a week to work at middle linebacker will have a huge impact on how they defend the screen, but I agree that the Jets not running a no huddle will benefit NE and how they're able to adjust to situational football, get players in and out. I for one am not one of the people giving the Jets a ton of credit for beating Houston, it's one win against a historically bad team.  They do however have some decent weapons (Washington/Jones/Keller) on offense that need some attention. I see a 31-14 NE victory.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Guyton was affected having to adjust to calling plays in the beginning of the Bills game, the screen is sort of a misdirection play that requires some sniffing out by the middle linebacker, historically Bill B's teams dont make those sort of mental errors in coverage that the Texans were guilty of.  I think the Jets are getting too much respect from posters here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defensive Scheme for Sunday : I'm sure Guyton was affected having to adjust to calling plays in the beginning of the Bills game, the screen is sort of a misdirection play that requires some sniffing out by the middle linebacker, historically Bill B's teams dont make those sort of mental errors in coverage that the Texans were guilty of.  I think the Jets are getting too much respect from posters here.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

What I think WILL help Guyton is his size and 4.47 speed.  May allow him to get into the flat to disrupt plays faster assuming his instincts and ability to read the action are good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defensive Scheme for Sunday : What I think WILL help Guyton is his size and 4.47 speed.  May allow him to get into the flat to disrupt plays faster assuming his instincts and ability to read the action are good.

Word.  Being 6'3" will help also, I believe that is why Bill had him playing outside linebacker in some of the 4/3 sets with Thomas playing the middle against the Bills, he can cover tightends and or at least clog up the passing lanes well.  I think we'll be a lot sharper on both sides of the ball this week and the pass rush should be that much more effective.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defensive Scheme for Sunday : Word.  Being 6'3" will help also, I believe that is why Bill had him playing outside linebacker in some of the 4/3 sets with Thomas playing the middle against the Bills, he can cover tightends and or at least clog up the passing lanes well.  I think we'll be a lot sharper on both sides of the ball this week and the pass rush should be that much more effective.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Guyton was playing OLB against the Bills. He had not practiced at MLB during the week. When he saw the screen in the game against the Bills he was confused. He is a pretty impresive LB though. When Fred Jackson couldn't come up with the ball on the screen pass on one play, Guyton had him on the floor in less than 5 seconds. He flew across the field. I think he matches up well against Leon Washington. 

We have the fastest LBs in the league. It would have been awesome to see what it should have looked like if Crable had just conditioned well in the offseason. 

Check these four out. 

Crable                       Guyton              Mayo                 Thomas 
    (4.61)                           (4.47)               (4.56 )                                 (4.56)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defensive Scheme for Sunday : Word.  Being 6'3" will help also, I believe that is why Bill had him playing outside linebacker in some of the 4/3 sets with Thomas playing the middle against the Bills, he can cover tightends and or at least clog up the passing lanes well.  I think we'll be a lot sharper on both sides of the ball this week and the pass rush should be that much more effective.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Taking on this larger role/responsibility should also help his long term development at LB.

Speaking of LB's, I was excited to see how Tyrone McKenzie would develop this year, he was a beast in college and had 351 total tackles his last 3 years.  He was said to have a high football IQ and would bring some versatility, they were extremely high on him and there was talk of him stepping in from day one a la Mayo (who knows), he could provide a much needed upgrade to the LB corps in 2010. 

I also still have hope for Crable......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defensive Scheme for Sunday : Taking on this larger role/responsibility should also help his long term development at LB. Speaking of LB's, I was excited to see how Tyrone McKenzie would develop this year, he was a beast in college and had 351 total tackles his last 3 years.  He was said to have a high football IQ and would bring some versatility, they were extremely high on him and there was talk of him stepping in from day one a la Mayo (who knows), he could provide a much needed upgrade to the LB corps in 2010.  I also still have hope for Crable......

Yeah I think Guyton is getting a great opportunity here and I hope he makes the most of it. Mckenzie injury really hurts he looks like a NFL caliber player and I think he would have seen the field. If Guyton can become the player we think he could then next years young LB core has a lot of upside!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

It's nice to have cornerbacks that can tackle. Bodden and Springs had 5 tackles apiece last game. Stop the screen pass and we will crush them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

You take away Keller with Merriweather, much like Rodney used to man up with Witten or Dallas Clarke. Have Sanders roaming free. Guyton is fast enough to cover Washington and did very well in that role last year I believe. I think the D Lineman will play much better against the run this week as the no huddle the Bills ran wore them down I'm sure. Getting subs in will help keep the big guys fresh.

Also, while Merriweather is playing up close to the line to get in Keller's face expect to see a safety blitz and strip sack of Mark Sanchez.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Basic football:
    Try to force them into long 3rd down situations, then throw everything except the kitchen sink at Sanchez.

I'd keep the 4-3 on the field for the first couple of downs early in the game simply because it'll keep bodies off of Guyton, whereas in the 3-4, the playside linebacker often has to engage a blocker.  If I remember right, Guyton is a little bit smaller than your average 3-4 linebacker, so I wouldn't want to see him beat up or overmatched.

I agree with MaritimePatsFan on Merriweather - he'd be perfect for covering Keller (and Merriweather is a better cover guy than Harrison, played CB at times at the U).

My prerogative of the week is BLITZKRIEG.  I think the real key is SCORING EARLY AND OFTEN.  If we can go up by a few scores and score on most of our drives, it'll put more pressure on the Jets to abandon the running game and put the game in Sanchez' hands.  Then we can set Banta-Cain, Burgess, Wright, and company loose, and they can pin their ears back and get after Sanchez.

Summary: force them into passing situations, then take advantage of Sanchez' inexperience.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Basic football: Try to force them into long 3rd down situations, then throw everything except the kitchen sink at Sanchez. I'd keep the 4-3 on the field for the first couple of downs early in the game simply because it'll keep bodies off of Guyton, whereas in the 3-4, the playside linebacker often has to engage a blocker.  If I remember right, Guyton is a little bit smaller than your average 3-4 linebacker, so I wouldn't want to see him beat up or overmatched. I agree with MaritimePatsFan on Merriweather - he'd be perfect for covering Keller (and Merriweather is a better cover guy than Harrison, played CB at times at the U). My prerogative of the week is BLITZKRIEG .  I think the real key is SCORING EARLY AND OFTEN.  If we can go up by a few scores and score on most of our drives, it'll put more pressure on the Jets to abandon the running game and put the game in Sanchez' hands.  Then we can set Banta-Cain, Burgess, Wright, and company loose, and they can pin their ears back and get after Sanchez. Summary: force them into passing situations, then take advantage of Sanchez' inexperience.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

A good example of our offense being a good defense.  Certainly puts the game in NE's favor if Sanchez has to throw on the majority of downs.  It hasn't been  mentioned a lot but Houston did drop a couple of interceptions last week, let's hope NE can capitalize on his mistakes.

Sections
Shortcuts