Defensive victories player by player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Defensive victories player by player

just saw this on the patriots page and thought it was pretty revealing. When you break down year to year you typically see those who win the one v one's have the best shot at making the team while those with the lower averages tend to get cut in the 53man cut down. There are a few exceptions if the player fills a niche or has shown consistent better performance during in game situations then on one v one's but for the most part it holds true

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/Screen%20Shot%202012-08-27%20at%202.28.14%20AM.png

Now just breaking this down you can see that Cunningham has performed very poorly on 1v1's and has been solid but not spectacular on the field. Actually if you take away 3 plays from the Phi game Cunningham was basically none existent. At the same time Francis in comparison has been showing well in 1v1's and has also been solid on the field but not spectacular. Is the 1v1's enough to give Francis an edge over Cunningham, for a roster spot?

Just going down the chart, given 10 DL, and going by it (minus Love because he's been great in pre-season games) it looks like Wilfork, Scott, Francis, Brace, Nink, and Jones should make the team with Harrison, Bulman, Bueqette, Deadrick fighting for 3 spots and Cunningham, Forston on the outside looking in based on these 1v1's (again Love makes the team not because of 1v1's but because of on field performance)

What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

Re: Defensive victories player by player

Interesting article, PatsEng. I've stopped reading the Extra Points blog ever since Reiss left, but this is a good find.

I'd agree, looks like Cunningham's out, based on these numbers. I was really surprised by Brace and Nink's numbers. I hadn't thought much of Brace (although Reiss has been saying how he's had a good camp) and I had thought of Nink as a so-so, maybe a bit above average rusher. These numbers show otherwise.

Here are the offense numbers, if anyone is interested:

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Wow, that is surprising after hearing about how good Cunningham was looking all camp. After seeing those number, I have to agree that he is most likely gone. The hit that he laid on Vick was more because of Love than Cunningham.

Brace's numbers are very surprising. The team just released Gerard Warren, so maybe they see something in Brace now that he isn't injured?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Big Ron Brace undefeated! Still we dnt know which guys each player was facing. For example if Brace went againt all back ups and 3rd string o linemen then.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Defensive victories player by player:
    [QUOTE]Big Ron Brace undefeated! Still we dnt know which guys each player was facing. For example if Brace went againt all back ups and 3rd string o linemen then.....
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

This is very true but usually when they are in double digits attempts you usually face a good range of competition. Limited reps (ie G Warren) might be luck of the draw but not when you have so many reps.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Chandler Jones W T F!

He's a rookie!

That's what jumped off the page to me at least.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Interesting, but Gerrard Warren was 9-1 and just got cut.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Yup, looks like G. Warren and Tim Bulman will be Patriots for a long time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Good info there, thanks for the post.. Brace goes undefeated, Cunningham doesn't look good, neither does koppen. I could see why too, Koppen is kind of small.

Nice showing by Jones. Warren looked like he was doing pretty well too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Warren got canned.  It must have something to do with the semi-permanent nature of Warren's injury.  However, if Warren happens to recover by December, look for BB to call him up on the phone.

Brace is a shocker, 9 victories, 2 draws, no one ever completely stopped him.  Get him healthy!  Puts Big Vince to shame. 

Nink is a surprise.  Jones the rook will learn.

Good to see Mankins at least tossing someone around.

Note that Marcus Cannon didn't get any numbers.  That paper bag on his head fooled the reporters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Warren was also one of the better players on 1v1's last year too so he's more the exception and not the rule as I said exceptions. I'm guessing that has more to do with age and wear on his body then actual performance in practice. Bulman though was on the lower end with limited reps so he still fits the pattern. Now if Francis or Scott is cut and Cunningham stays then that would contradict the pattern

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, looks like G. Warren and Tim Bulman will be Patriots for a long time.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

lol - but 'long' is all relative though...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I tried to keep my eye on Cunningham a bit during that last pre season game and I've got to tell you the guy really didn't do much. Brace on the other hand is a different story - this guy just looks big and he's playing like it too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Defensive victories player by player:
    [QUOTE]just saw this on the patriots page and thought it was pretty revealing. When you break down year to year you typically see those who win the one v one's have the best shot at making the team while those with the lower averages tend to get cut in the 53man cut down. There are a few exceptions if the player fills a niche or has shown consistent better performance during in game situations then on one v one's but for the most part it holds true http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/ Now just breaking this down you can see that Cunningham has performed very poorly on 1v1's and has been solid but not spectacular on the field. Actually if you take away 3 plays from the Phi game Cunningham was basically none existent. At the same time Francis in comparison has been showing well in 1v1's and has also been solid on the field but not spectacular. Is the 1v1's enough to give Francis an edge over Cunningham, for a roster spot? Just going down the chart, given 10 DL, and going by it (minus Love because he's been great in pre-season games) it looks like Wilfork, Scott, Francis, Brace, Nink, and Jones should make the team with Harrison, Bulman, Bueqette, Deadrick fighting for 3 spots and Cunningham, Forston on the outside looking in based on these 1v1's (again Love makes the team not because of 1v1's but because of on field performance) What do you guys think?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

thanks for this and the post. this shows my feeling on cunningham as a player day one till today.
    however they seem to be going out of the way in the continual hope he will become something

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I tried to keep my eye on Cunningham a bit during that last pre season game and I've got to tell you the guy really didn't do much. Brace on the other hand is a different story - this guy just looks big and he's playing like it too.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

thanks for yoru review

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting, but Gerrard Warren was 9-1 and just got cut.
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

Shadow roster......