Definitive cap space?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Definitive cap space?

In response to Gravelten4's comment:

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

This article pegs the number at $10.2. Assuming they carry $5, and hold $3.3 for rookie signings, Pats have approx $4 available to sign free agents. I still can see Fells cut, and maybe Vince is extended?

edelman? Sanders? Abe's? Another CB for depth? Seems hard with only $4 available.

The Patriots have $10,299,937 in cap room as of Wednesday, according to NFLPA documents.

It’s important to remember that teams always want to leave some wiggle room under the cap to allow themselves some financial flexibility. In addition, the rookie contracts have to be figured into the mix as well. But when stacked up against the rest of the league, New England — which currently has 50 contracts on the books — is in better shape than other teams: The Patriots are one of 11 teams with at least $10 million in cap space, and all 32 teams have an average of $9,645.619.19 of cap room.

The team in best shape is Jaguars, who have $28,387,582 in cap space. (In all, there are five teams with more than $25 million in cap room: the Jags, Browns, Bengals, Eagles and Bucs.) Meanwhile, the Rams are on the other end of the spectrum with $506,053. As for the conference champs, the Ravens have $5,356,586 in cap room, while the Niners are at $4,029,822.

From a divisional perspective, the AFC East is actually in pretty good shape: In addition to the Patriots, who have more than $10 million in cap room, the Bills have 49 contracts currently on the books, and have $16,347,532 in cap room. The Dolphins have 51 contracts and $8,263,667. And the Jets have 49 contracts and $12,566,471.

Maybe I am not understanding something, but 10.3 available minus 5 for carryover = 5.3, 5.3 minus 3.3 for rookies only leaves $2 million, not $4 million, correct?

I sucked at math  but i was thinking the same thing:)

Why are you subtracting the carryover--is that space you're banking to have some cap room if you need to sign someone in season?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Your math is correct. I originally mentioned Fells being released creating another $2m in space, but edited it once I heard about the Gronk situation. 

So you are correct, without the Pats making another move they have about 2m available if they hold $5 for in season moves, decisions, carryover

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

According to: NFLPA

New England Patriots 49 contracts - $6,699,937.00 cap

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Am I reading this right, the Jets have more cap space than the Patriots? Remember back in 2010 after the Jets beat the Patriots in that playoff game (where the Patriots underperformed more than any time in there history) there were a few jets who were saying they were not surprised to have won because hands down the jets have more talented players.. I didnt agree with that but when you compare the teams now its not even close. The jets have 2 very good players, one of which is a bigger headace than he's worth. Even though the Jets have had higher draft picks than the Patriots they haven't come close to assembling the talent of the Patriots. I'd say that besides being a great coach, Belichick is a hell of a good GM and always keeps the Patriots in good shape with the cap.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Do you know if the "carry over" money is for 1 year only? Use it or lose it? I understand that the money this year can be carried to next year, but can it be carried  to the year after that? 

Look at some of these teams....Browns....Bengals.....TB.....Jags.....Eagles.....those fans have grounds to call those owners cheap for not spending to the cap to improve those teams..

I believe the way it works is you can carry over unused "room" only from one year to the next. If I read the CBA correctly, the unused room doesn't increase your cap (which is identical for every team) or decrease the team salary amount counted against the cap.  All it does is give you extra "space" to sign players outside the normal cap for the year following the year in which that room was left unused. 

You're right Pro. It's kind of like Basketball in a way. So, the cap is set at $123mil but since the Pats have $5mil they carried over they are allowed to spend up to $128mil for this year only. So if they only spend up to the $123mil they are essentially spending to the cap but they din't spend as much as they could and that $5mil extra they could spend this year is lost

How does that work? Is the 10 million they have in cap room counting the 5 million carry over you are claiming they have? Or is it 15 mill? If they do not spend this 5 million carry over to get to 128 mill and they "lose" it, then where does this money go? Not back in Kraft's pocket according to the above post's, so to the LG? To the players/ex players who played on the team before?

This doesn't make sense to me?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Do you know if the "carry over" money is for 1 year only? Use it or lose it? I understand that the money this year can be carried to next year, but can it be carried  to the year after that? 

Look at some of these teams....Browns....Bengals.....TB.....Jags.....Eagles.....those fans have grounds to call those owners cheap for not spending to the cap to improve those teams..

I believe the way it works is you can carry over unused "room" only from one year to the next. If I read the CBA correctly, the unused room doesn't increase your cap (which is identical for every team) or decrease the team salary amount counted against the cap.  All it does is give you extra "space" to sign players outside the normal cap for the year following the year in which that room was left unused. 

You're right Pro. It's kind of like Basketball in a way. So, the cap is set at $123mil but since the Pats have $5mil they carried over they are allowed to spend up to $128mil for this year only. So if they only spend up to the $123mil they are essentially spending to the cap but they din't spend as much as they could and that $5mil extra they could spend this year is lost

How does that work? Is the 10 million they have in cap room counting the 5 million carry over you are claiming they have? Or is it 15 mill? If they do not spend this 5 million carry over to get to 128 mill and they "lose" it, then where does this money go? Not back in Kraft's pocket according to the above post's, so to the LG? To the players/ex players who played on the team before?

This doesn't make sense to me?

The $10 million includes the carryover. They can have a team salary of up to $128 million this year ($123 million under the cap plus the $5 million carryover from last year).  If they don't spend it all, they just don't spend it. No money is "returned" to any players. 

Sections
Shortcuts