Deion Branch slow start!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

Deion Branch slow start!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

Re: Deion Branch slow start!

We need a vertical threat. 
    I was expecting more from him, is he goona live upto our expectation?
    Its either him or tate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Now, we need an age limit to post here, apparently.

He helped win the game against Balt and had a bad hamstring the last 2 weeks.

Sheesh.  He was never a vertical threat to begin with. 

Some of you totally miss the point.  Who was the "vertical threat" from 2001-2006?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: Deion Branch slow start!:
    [QUOTE]Now, we need an age limit to post here, apparently. He helped win the game against Balt and had a bad hamstring the last 2 weeks. Sheesh.  He was never a vertical threat to begin with.  Some of you totally miss the point.  Who was the "vertical threat" from 2001-2006?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

right by vertical threat I didn't mean to put him in the moss category, but he should make intermediate (20-30) plays, he was absent in this sunday's game too. IDK I'm a lil frustrated with the lack of quality WRs.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Branch is a route runner, not a vertical threat.  Tate is supposed to be the NEW vertical threat but so far that's not working out ala Randy Moss but then I'm not convinced that's really necessary. 

They need to execute.  If they execute, they will score points.  If they don't, well, you see the results in Cleveland.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deion Branch slow start! : right by vertical threat I didn't mean to put him in the moss category, but he should make intermediate (20-30) plays, he was absent in this sunday's game too. IDK I'm a lil frustrated with the lack of quality WRs.  
    Posted by akius[/QUOTE]

Again, I think you aren't seeing it because this is a growing process:

1. Branch has returned, but isn't as effective with a tweaked hammy. He said he feels 100% this week now.  We shall see.

2.  Hernandez/Gronk - Rookies.

3.  Welker - Crafty, great player who obviously isn't getting in and out of breaks

My concern is why isn't Edelman being given set plays to get him into space?

I don't get it.  He's absolutely lethal with the ball in his hands like Hernandez is.

Tate = Total wildcard, but we know has wheels, we know in  single coverage he can go get it.  THis can be used in play action, but without it, he's useless as the deep threat.

The personnel is there, it just needs to be used in a timely fashion during the games. 

O'Brien calls the plays.

The personnel is easily better than last year's. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

1. Branch has returned, but isn't as effective with a tweaked hammy. He said he feels 100% this week now.  We shall see.

Branch is a possession WR just like all our other WR but his football intelligence and route running skill are off the charts meaning that he can be a stop gap replacement for any position on the field

2.  Hernandez/Gronk;

Hernandez has surplanted Edleman in our double slot and tripps look. Gronk has been great but he is inconsistent as we saw this week.

3.  Welker - Crafty, great player who obviously isn't getting in and out of breaks

A great player with a bad knee can barely beat a slot corner one on one let allone a slot corner with safety help or a safety with LB help.

My concern is why isn't Edelman being given set plays to get him into space?

Becasue Hernandez stole his snaps

I personally think Edleman should be getting a percentage of Welkers reps

I don't get it.  He's absolutely lethal with the ball in his hands like Hernandez is.

Tate = ST Stud 

O'Brien calls the plays = BUM

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Agree, Tag.

I get Hernandez is in the slot more so Edelman loses there, but I am wondering why he can't spell Welker, as you mention.

I am not even sure I see him in a 5 WR spread?  Maybe it's just too soon to expect Edelman to know more routes in the system.

This is where Branch may be able to help more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Edelman has been nonexistant this season. he needs to be more involved

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE] Who was the "vertical threat" from 2001-2006?

David Givens and David Patten. Sometimes they would sneak Branch out there. But mostly David Givens. He had numerous catches over 30 yards.

Certainly, Welker, Branch (now) and a rookie Tate is much worse at stretching the field than that crew.

Tate has potential to be better, but right now it is only potential and he isn't exactly looking like a game changer if we examine his fundamentals like hands, concentration, and ability to fight through the press and keep from getting rerouted. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deion Branch slow start! : David Givens and David Patten. Sometimes they would sneak Branch out there. But mostly David Givens. He had numerous catches over 30 yards. Certainly, Welker, Branch (now) and a rookie Tate is much worse at stretching the field than that crew. Tate has potential to be better, but right now it is only potential and he isn't exactly looking like a game changer if we examine his fundamentals like hands, concentration, and ability to fight through the press and keep from getting rerouted. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

The real question/problem is how many times have we thrown deep to Tate this year? I think twice and once was last weeks broken play which really does not count. Point being, I see the Steelers throw deep to Mike Wallace 2 or 3 times a game at a minimum. Tate can't be a deep threat if its not in our game plan!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Branch is old in football years.  He's going to have occasional injury problems and he may not be as fast as he used to be.  They don't give away superstars for fourth round picks, er, maybe Oakland gives them away, but Seattle doesn't.  In any case the guy is still serviceable, and he's on the same page with Brady.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The problem with our recievers is that we have three slot possesion types in Branch, Welker, and Edelman. The guy that is supposed to go get it (Tate) is not a 4.3 guy and is no where near polished enough for this offense. Back in the 01 to 07 years we had some 4.3 type guys; Bethel Johnson, David Patten. Before anyone goes off about Bethel, he did stretch the field and come up with some deep balls and David was just a very good all around reciever that could get behind a defense without any trouble. Even Givens, although not a 4.3 guy could use his size and technique to catch some long ones. Now I'm saying Tate is not a 4.3 guy, but I really don't know that, because he was injured during the combine etc. , but the draft publications I read had hin in the 4.4 - 4.5 range. Slater was drafted to play some reciever and runs a 4.3, why not send him out there once in a while? Or heavens forbid Price and his speed gets on the field.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deion Branch slow start! : The real question/problem is .......I see the Steelers throw deep to Mike Wallace 2 or 3 times a game at a minimum. Tate can't be a deep threat if its not in our game plan!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Maybe that is because BB knows Tate isn't ready. Remember this is his first year playing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

[QUOTE]Agree, Tag. I get Hernandez is in the slot more so Edelman loses there, but I am wondering why he can't spell Welker, as you mention. I am not even sure I see him in a 5 WR spread?  Maybe it's just too soon to expect Edelman to know more routes in the system. This is where Branch may be able to help more.

I think getting Welker off the field will help him and the team tremondously, we need to find another weapon... whether is be Woodhead and Hernandez or with Edleman in the slot and Hernandez split out running posts and flags.

Take a page out of the PAckers book... They split Jermichael Finley to the far side of the field and have him run flags and post just to cause mismatches for Driver and Jennings.

Sections
Shortcuts