Deion Branch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

Deion Branch

Why is everyone so seemingly hot on Deion Branch?
    Look at his numbers.

In 8 years, he's played all 16 games in ONE season
    In the season just finished (his most healthy year in Seattle), he averaged
    under 10 yards per catch
    only 3.2 catches per game
    a total of 31.2 yards PER GAME
    and his longest gain was 35 yards

He hasn't returned a kick or punt in 5 years

He catches only 60% of the balls thrown to him (Welker is over 80% - even Kelley Washington nabbed over 75%)

Overall, he is rated 102 out of all 107 active receivers by Pro Football Focus

On top of that, the guy will be 31 years old, so he is not going to get better by any significant factor.

I think he was a terrific second-rounder for the Pats. But really, can't we find someone who is on the upswing, and won't cost over $5 million?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Deion Branch

The thing is, if he is released, as some expect, he won't cost $5 million.  They could try to bring him in for close to the minimum and see if he and Brady can recapture the magic they had before his disappointing time in Seattle.  I do think that if healthy, and playing with Brady, Branch can be productive.  Maybe not great, but surely better than Aiken and good depth to aid the development of Edelman, Tate, and a possible draft pick.  Low risk, high reward type signing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Branch won't cost much.
    he has great chemestry with Brady.
    he will be the 3rd option.
    He is a goot Route runner.
    He can catch the ball.

The biggest question with him is health.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

And the answer to the question is... not good.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Branch won't be asked to be the guy as Seattle thought he would be when they gave up a 1st for him.

He'll be a #3 guy in NE, he is a guy who has speed and runs sorry for the word but runs beutiful routes.  They are clean and on point, Brady had nothing but good things to tell Matt Haselback when he was traded.

Saw a report back then when TB call Matt to praise Branch's abilities.  They had a chemistry back then and I would think its a matter of a day before they get it back.  I think he will a great addition.

I still think we need a #1b to go with Moss as #1a, in addition to Branch the team needs to find Moss replacement via the draft.  I would love for the Pats to draft Riley Cooper.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

The Dude burned more bridges then General Sherman.  He held out and got himself traded.  He's only coming back as an opposing player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i liked branch a lot when he was with ne. i almost bought my son a branch jersey. that said, he will not be what he was for ne back then. and he does not have enough to be a #3 in ne given he has a hard time establishing himself to be the #3 in seattle.

i'd rather take the risk on someone with long-term upside and who can stay healthy enough to be on the field for at least 13 games. if ne opts for a veteran, i'd rather see someone like stallworth who could play opposite moss and is strong enough to gain yards after a few yards after the catch.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Is Reche Caldwell available? What about Troy Brown if Comcast Sports Net releases him? Can Drew Bledsoe still play? If we can get Willie McGinest, even better! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Let's see...everybody gets all hyped up about 38yr. old Joey Galloway, who proved not smart enough to learn the system, but Branch is a bad idea?

There are several reasons why Branch would be worth a small contract:
    1. Proven chemistry with Brady
    2. We know he can mentally handle the system
    3. He'd be a great 3rd receiver or at least provide solid depth as a 4th
    4. He'd be cheap and allow us to either draft a WR for the future or trade for someone to replace Moss.
    5. Wouldn't take a lot of energy to get him up to speed and you know what you're getting.

I know some of these points overlap, but I figured I needed at least 5 points since I said 'several reasons'.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

I think Lavernius Coles might be a better option if Bungles release him as expected.  About the same age, less injury prone and has been more porductive over the last few seasons.  He didn't work out in the Bungle offense, but still had 500 yards and 5 TDs.  Numbers like that would be ok for a 3rd or 4th WR.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Deion Branch:
    The Dude burned more bridges then General Sherman.  He held out and got himself traded.  He's only coming back as an opposing player.
    Posted by Tcal2

that is not burning bridges.....he still had nothing but good things to say about NE...He understands it is a business....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Deion Branch:
    Why is everyone so seemingly hot on Deion Branch? Look at his numbers. In 8 years, he's played all 16 games in ONE season In the season just finished (his most healthy year in Seattle), he averaged under 10 yards per catch only 3.2 catches per game a total of 31.2 yards PER GAME and his longest gain was 35 yards He hasn't returned a kick or punt in 5 years He catches only 60% of the balls thrown to him (Welker is over 80% - even Kelley Washington nabbed over 75%) Overall, he is rated 102 out of all 107 active receivers by Pro Football Focus On top of that, the guy will be 31 years old, so he is not going to get better by any significant factor. I think he was a terrific second-rounder for the Pats. But really, can't we find someone who is on the upswing, and won't cost over $5 million?
    Posted by Stay-Pro

he won't cost 5 million....he would probably be at the veteran min...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Say no to Deion Branch. Why would they take a guy back that arguably cost them a super bowl?   Also I don't think the system is the same as when Branch was here so he'd still have plenty of learning to do, and he's just not that good.  Stallworth would come cheaper, he's better and knows the system
    Posted by mikec645

Yeah, sorry it is the same system and the sane Brady and Belichick......Also, Stallworth would cost more....Stallworth was here for a year snd all of a sudden he knows the system?

When did Branch cost NE a Super Bowl?  He was the SB MVP.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"Yeah, sorry it is the same system and the sane Brady and Belichick......"

Is this a spelling mistake or an optimistic appraisal of Brady and Belichick?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

" Yeah, sorry it is the same system and the sane Brady and Belichick......" Is this a spelling mistake or an optimistic appraisal of Brady and Belichick?
    Posted by Yapple

LOL....typo.

I meant saMe....

Sections
Shortcuts