Demps: Priority is track, not football. Wont join team til "midseason"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Demps: Priority is track, not football. Wont join team til "midseason"

Seems like this will be goodbye for Jeff. We hardly knew ye!

Patriots running back Jeff Demps recently suggested on a radio interview that his track career -- not his NFL career -- is his top priority at this time.

When asked what he would say to Patriots coach Bill Belichick if Belichick asked Demps how he can handle the obligations of two sports, he replied, "Listen coach, I want to do both, but in order for me to get to where I want to be on the track and field side, it'll take a full year of preparation. And after the season, if you guys are willing to let me come back, you know, probably midseason, and work out and train and get ready for the season, I'll be able to do that. If not, then I guess I'll just focus on running." (CLICK HERE to hear the interview.)

In a follow-up question, Demps was asked to clarify that his plan would be to return to the Patriots in the middle of the 2013 season because of his track schedule.

"Midseason," he reiterated. "I'll probably miss three, four, maybe five games."

The 23-year-old, who spent his rookie season on injured reserve, was asked if he feared his football career might not get off the ground because of the multiple obligations.

"No, not really," he said. "If I'm not able to do football anymore, it's kind of like I'm just opening up another chapter of my life, and it's on the track and field side. Like I said, I'll be a rookie in the game, and I still have a lot to learn, even though I did it for four years in college and throughout high school. I still haven't seen or ran with any other big-name guys or the top guys in the world. I'm looking forward to it, I'm definitely looking forward to it."

Demps is expected to compete for a spot as the Patriots' primary kick returner this offseason along with veteran Leon Washington, who recently was signed by the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Demps: Priority is track, not football. Wont join team til

Probably already old news to BB and was a consideration in the Washington move.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Say it ain't so! We are so besodden with what you had shown us on the football field so far, Kraft is already saying he wishes you'll be a Patriot for life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Patriots running back Jeff Demps recently suggested on a radio interview that his track career -- not his NFL career -- is his top priority at this time.

When asked what he would say to Patriots coach Bill Belichick if Belichick asked Demps how he can handle the obligations of two sports, he replied, "Listen coach, I want to do both, but in order for me to get to where I want to be on the track and field side, it'll take a full year of preparation. And after the season, if you guys are willing to let me come back, you know, probably midseason, and work out and train and get ready for the season, I'll be able to do that. If not, then I guess I'll just focus on running." (CLICK HERE to hear the interview.)

In a follow-up question, Demps was asked to clarify that his plan would be to return to the Patriots in the middle of the 2013 season because of his track schedule.

The 23-year-old, who spent his rookie season on injured reserve, was asked if he feared his football career might not get off the ground because of the multiple obligations.

"No, not really," he said. "If I'm not able to do football anymore, it's kind of like I'm just opening up another chapter of my life, and it's on the track and field side. Like I said, I'll be a rookie in the game, and I still have a lot to learn, even though I did it for four years in college and throughout high school. I still haven't seen or ran with any other big-name guys or the top guys in the world. I'm looking forward to it, I'm definitely looking forward to it."

Demps is expected to compete for a spot as the Patriots' primary kick returner this offseason along with veteran Leon Washington, who recently was signed by the team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741477/demps-priority-is-track-not-football

doesn't seem his heart is in football...did they know any of this when they drafted him?

strange

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He can come mid-season, but he's already behind Washington on PR/KR and miles behind Bolden, Vereen and Ridley as a RB option. 

He needs to think this through. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

He can come mid-season, but he's already behind Washington on PR/KR and miles behind Bolden, Vereen and Ridley. 

He needs to think this through. 

sounds like he did...he wants to be a track star

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

doesn't seem his heart is in football...did they know any of this when they drafted him?

strange

Went undrafted and later picked up by the Pats after the Olympics

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

strange

He wasn't drafted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

strange

He wasn't drafted.

yeah got it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4741477/demps-priority-is-track-not-football

strange

we didn't draft him; he was signed as a free agent to a low-risk contract.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Good point Seattle-all hands on board-it seems like Demps is uncommited to football-Track and football are 2 different beasts and one doesn't always translate into another. seems like he is not Committed to the Pats and I believe he will be a non-factor-the kid is a good talent but from my experience you can't mix the 2--time to tell him pick one or go do your thing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Good point Seattle-all hands on board-it seems like Demps is uncommited to football-Track and football are 2 different beasts and one doesn't always translate into another. seems like he is not Committed to the Pats and I believe he will be a non-factor-the kid is a good talent but from my experience you can't mix the 2--time to tell him pick one or go do your thing!

PERSONALLY just been hoping he doent make the olympic team and comes back humble and committed

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I was unable to open the link, but does it sound like he misses camp? 

I still have a hard time seeing Washington n the field taking snaps....only a ST player at this point. 

Makes the Woody decision even stranger given the small amount of money needed to train him. Looks like Ridley, Vereen, Bolden.....and I am hoping Fiametta. 

I know Rusty posted he could see Bolden competing for major snap increase, but some one please refresh my memory, did Bolden do anything after PED's? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Put him on did not report.  He cannot sign with another team and does not count against the roster.  He is not going to make the team as a running back so PR/KR was his only chance.  I think the injury last year may have taken the football out of him

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanInOz. Show PatsFanInOz's posts

If he's focusing on running, he'll be lighter than he should be in order to be durable returning kickoffs. I don't see how that's going to work out, coming in midseason, under football weight. That is, unless they make a new safety rule, where you can't hit someone coming in the opposite direction.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Perhaps I am wrong, but I see one as a hobby (not much income), the other as a career. Doesn't this guy have to eat? or pay his bills?

I guess he would rather run and not have to worry about being decapitated...I wonder what his college degree is in?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This isn't any football team, this is the Patriots football club.  "Midseason" is code for, "Coach wants me to get myself around the 53 man limit."  The Patriots got Marcus Cannon because he didn't count against the 53 man limit in September, but he was available midseason.  That was an awesome use of a fifth round pick.  Junior Seau went home, went surfing, and in November BB called him up and suddenly he was available to play football. 

If you look at Demps's legal position, if he runs track for six months he is still obligated to play for the Patriots, or for no one.  Demps at least isn't a 100% raw rookie, but he is starting from way back.  BB doesn't need him that much in September, but BB needs backups at that position because receivers are somewhat fragile. 

So, whenever I hear "midseason" I think, "the deal is down in Foxboro".  Maybe Demps isn't Randy Moss at his best, he might be a marginal player, but don't kiss Demps goodbye just yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Thanks, Jimmy. 

I was not aware of his actual status, but there are good insights from Paul, Steven and Oz above.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

This isn't any football team, this is the Patriots football club.  "Midseason" is code for, "Coach wants me to get myself around the 53 man limit."  The Patriots got Marcus Cannon because he didn't count against the 53 man limit in September, but he was available midseason.  That was an awesome use of a fifth round pick.  Junior Seau went home, went surfing, and in November BB called him up and suddenly he was available to play football. 

If you look at Demps's legal position, if he runs track for six months he is still obligated to play for the Patriots, or for no one.  Demps at least isn't a 100% raw rookie, but he is starting from way back.  BB doesn't need him that much in September, but BB needs backups at that position because receivers are somewhat fragile. 

So, whenever I hear "midseason" I think, "the deal is down in Foxboro".  Maybe Demps isn't Randy Moss at his best, he might be a marginal player, but don't kiss Demps goodbye just yet.

demps is a receiver?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

PERSONALLY just been hoping he doent make the olympic team and comes back humble and committed

what a crappy thing to say...why does he have to be "humbled"? because he has the audacity to actually want to pursue a different talent he loves more? so he should fail as if the pats are the be all and end all and he must learn the "error" of his ways? what rot...only a pats fan would root for an athlete failing to make the olympics-the olympics which is the pinnacle in many sports-and think he is out of line actually trying to achieve that...i expect bs like this from the queenies of the world not u bred

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Came in....played a game...got knocked into a new zip code....and says the hell with this I can make as much running track.....

As others have pointed out...Leon Washington is how BB has answered the question.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to ZeeOff's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

The Olympics aren't for another 3 years.

One year to train for qualification. Another year for training with the National Team. If you want to make it there, why risk injury to football?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Let 'em eat cake and run track while he's at it.  I'd be surprised if he ever makes the 53-man roster much less the field.

Sections
Shortcuts