Demps: Priority is track, not football. Wont join team til "midseason"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: Demps: Priority is track, not football. Wont join team til

The guy has some talent but he needs to get the track bug out of his system.  If he's successful he'll persue it and the Pats will cut him.  The Olympics is the pinnacle for this sport so he'll stay until then if things go well. 

Track is also a young man's sport for the most part.  If you're in your late 20s, you're old.  So, I can see the Pats holding on to his rights for as long as they can and I must admit I don't know that works. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

many here were conceding a roster spot to Demps. I never thought he was a lock. I thought he had to come in and earn the spot, and I agree, if he is a success on the track, he could make more than on the field.

I would have liked to see what he could do on the field, but never thought he was a lock

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

this is too bad. i had high hopes for him... very talented. good thing BB was proactive and went out and got washington.

Now you using pictures of disgraced academics as your avatar. Jez the fringe must be lonely.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Screw Demps.  I'm not that upset given that I saw his main value as a returner and we just added Washington, but it seems pretty lame to sign with an NFL team and then tell them you are leaving to run track.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

B.B. Should just fine him til the pats make back last years pay check.What's is it? Did not report list....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Don't need him back,

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

this is too bad. i had high hopes for him... very talented. good thing BB was proactive and went out and got washington.

Now you using pictures of disgraced academics as your avatar. Jez the fringe must be lonely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ERbPzpoXw&list=HL1364243095

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeTpKASahAc&list=LLUbb484EiputGY3ZAjLBX5w&feature=mh_lolz

:) 

good job - keep the righties in line

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Demps or no demps , Washington was the better move. Proven KR who I believe led the NFC last year...and, he can play rb in a pinch because he has done it and has had success. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

The guy has some talent but he needs to get the track bug out of his system.  If he's successful he'll persue it and the Pats will cut him.  The Olympics is the pinnacle for this sport so he'll stay until then if things go well. 

Track is also a young man's sport for the most part.  If you're in your late 20s, you're old.  So, I can see the Pats holding on to his rights for as long as they can and I must admit I don't know that works. 

And what are football players in their late 20s? RBs, specifically?

If I had to guess, I'd say he ALWAYS loved track, football punched his ticket to free college and a way to compete for an olympic spot.

This was not a low-risk/high-high reward signing. This was a NO-risk/high reward potential move. Turned out they paid nothing and got...nothing. Sometimes you DO actually get what you pay for.

In fact, Pats did him a favor. If he goes undrafted, then unsigned and is out of football entirely for the year, his football career is likely done already. The Pats placing him on IR seems to actually have delayed that semming eventuality.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Too bad if hes gone next year, I used him in Madden all the time as a wildcat qb/KR/3rd down RB

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/153248216

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

My understanding is that Demps was always hesitant to play football.  Lots of teams tried to tempt him to sign.  In the end, the Pats got him by offering him an $11,000 signing bonus.  Yes, just five figures . . . $11,000 . . . I think everyone knew at the outset that Demps was still devoted to track.  The Pats just put a little (very little) money on the table to tempt him toward playing.  They also promised to guarantee $200,000 of his $390,000 salary if he makes the 53 man roster.  The Pats' investment in this guy is minimal and was probably made purely to give him a little incentive to at least consider playing football rather than sticking wth track.  No harm done if he decides to stay with track.  I'm sure Belichick has been aware of his intentions all along and was probably delighted to get him to try football at all last season. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

It's obvious that the Washington signing was BBs answer to how he feels about the Demps situation. You really think the Pats are going to PAY this guy while he runs track? Come on this is BB--- He liked Lawyer Malloy and Seymour and we know how that worked out--really think he's going to give two hoots about Demps. The guy is not commited to football and one thing the Pats require is a total commitment from their PAID employees---the guy is gone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

It's obvious that the Washington signing was BBs answer to how he feels about the Demps situation. You really think the Pats are going to PAY this guy while he runs track? Come on this is BB--- He liked Lawyer Malloy and Seymour and we know how that worked out--really think he's going to give two hoots about Demps. The guy is not commited to football and one thing the Pats require is a total commitment from their PAID employees---the guy is gone.

I actually think Demps has BB's respect. Not many people have a clear vision of what they want to do and commitment to getting it done. This kid has a commitment to trying to be among the best in his craft. BB probably sees Demps as someone who follows through on his commitment with a good work ethic and mental toughness. 

I also have no doubt that Demps was pretty upfront to BB about this, right from the very beginning.

BB probably saw a lot of qualities he expects of a Pat. That said, BB took a business approach that accounted for the situation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well after my reading of the title of this thread the only thing i would have added is He won't be joining the Patriots ever. Because i don't see BB saving a spot on his team to a guy who's not committed to football and his team in particular.Jeff we hardly knew thee and in the words of Robert Kraft:I hope he's a Patriot for life!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If he and BB had an understanding when he signed, I could see BB not being upset by this.  As I said above, Demps may very well have been completely upfront about his desires when he signed and the Pats may have said, "we know you want to stay with track, but at least give football a try--we'll give you a contract and you can do what you want, but if you decide to play football, we want you to consider the Pats first."