Demps will not play this year!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Demps will not play this year!

Accoridng to miek Reiss;(since links don't work I'll post the whole article)

Rookie running back Jeff Demps will not play for the Patriots this season after being placed on injured reserve on Friday. 

Bill Belichick clarified Demps' standing on the roster, noting that he is not eligible for the new short-term injured reserve category which will allow one player to return during the season. The Patriots would have had to keep Demps on the 53-man roster through Tuesday for him to be eligible for the new injured reserve category. 

Because the NFL recently instituted the new short-term IR category, and allowed teams to use it on one player who might have already been placed on injured reserve (e.g. LB Dane Fletcher earlier this preseason), some questioned if Demps might have fallen into a similar category. 

He doesn't. 

"You would have to carry that player on the 53-man roster. You couldn't put him on injured reserve, not counted him [against the 53-man limit], then designated him to come back," Belichick explained. "In Jeff's case, he was never really on the 53-man roster. He placed on IR as part of the cutdown." 

Demps is signed through the 2014 season, so he now factors into the team's longer-range planning.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Demps will not play this year!

off topic: damn I miss the edit button

on topic: I was really hoping Demps could provide us with something later in the year. I know he wasn't in "football shape" when he joined the team. But the kid had raw talent and speed to burn, glad he is signed long term. But I also feel for the guy and think this new roster rule is pretty stupid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Expect kick returns to be a weakness again this year, let's hope the offense can put together efficient, time consuming drives.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Yeah that's hard to do when you are always behind or just at the 20. Edelman showed some promise here and there, but we don't have anyone like Demps who is shifty and then kick up the speed and run away with it. I don't like Welker returning and Woodhead just isn't big enough, one hit or touch and the guy goes down or is grabbed by the next defender.

I wonder if Ebner could take on this role with his physical skills from rugby.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Thanks for the info, not what I wanted to hear but that's the way it goes.. I hope that they have someone other than woodhead returning kickoffs. Last year he has a lot of returns that didn't even make it out to the 20 yard line. The offense was backed up often to start drives. Why not just take a knee and start at the 20? They have to have a guy on that roster that can do better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Look for some experimentation in that slot.  DBs, RBs, and WRs are all potential candidates. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Well they threw him out there even tho he may not have been "football" ready-- but bet they put him on IR to get ready for next year.  clever BB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Well Demps is all about world class speed add knee injury to mix and you get average Joe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to tcal2:

Well Demps is all about world class speed add knee injury to mix and you get average Joe.

That was my fear too when I saw him grab the knee tcal.  The good news is he was apparently walking on it in the locker room after the game so you have to hope it was a relatively minor injury.  Of course, normally a minor injury wouldn't be season ending, but I suspect BB wasn't completely sure he was ready for the big time yet and maybe decided that parking him on IR all year wasn't such a bad idea.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroids comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2:

That was my fear too when I saw him grab the knee tcal.  The good news is he was apparently walking on it in the locker room after the game so you have to hope it was a relatively minor injury.  Of course, normally a minor injury wouldn't be season ending, but I suspect BB wasn't completely sure he was ready for the big time yet and maybe decided that parking him on IR all year wasn't such a bad idea.  

[/QUOTE]

by all practical appearances it seems like bb almost planned the injury and really wnated him on ir this year (ie preferred it).

me he changed the game on punt and kciks and woudl when inserted in th eoffese even befroe he knows everything imo, and id rather have him helping witH THIS YEARS SUPER BOWL.

knee did not seem thaat serious. walked off on it. had mri, was availabel to speak after (which normall doesnt happen after a serisou injury) and thought he could play.

seems bb took adv of an opportunity to do what he wanted anyway. redshirt demps

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I don't know man.  Kick returning is a serious need for this team, has been for a few years now.  I just can't see BB passing on a game changer in that specialty if he truly wasn't injured.  One contributing factor in last years Super Bowl loss people fail to mention is the constant crappy field position we had.  The offense was always working with a long field.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to tcal2-s comment:

I don't know man.  Kick returning is a serious need for this team, has been for a few years now.  I just can't see BB passing on a game changer in that specialty if he truly wasn't injured.  One contributing factor in last years Super Bowl loss people fail to mention is the constant crappy field position we had.  The offense was always working with a long field.

it would be one in a long line of decisions where bb had confidence in a postion or move i, or others, didnt. often hes right, sometimes hes wrong. im not saying demps wasnt dinged. but if it was serious he wouldnt have been made available to the media right after and he wouldnt have said hes good to play when asked. it could have been mis-diagnosed early, but i think bb made an eval of what he wanted on his 53 and put demps out for the year even though hsi injury wont have him out for a year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Speedy dudes + knee injuries = not so good, wonder seriously if he can ever be a productive player. 

Freediro not sure what you mean about links not working. 

Two options work: 

1. Copy and paste: 

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4728724/demps-out-for-year-with-ir-move 

2. highlighting text and using the link button on the editor

Mike Reiss article

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I dunno it was giving me issues earlier so I jsut pasted the whole article so you all could read it and not click and be rerouted.

On the topic of BB wanting/perferring Demps to be injured is complete BS. The man is a competitor and wants to win everyday. If he though Demps would provide us a better chance to win every Sunday he would want them out there. Unfortunately these things happen and with the roster rules this is the best situation BB can deal with. Maybe in the end it will be to our advantage to bust out Demps come playoff time, who knows.

Sections
Shortcuts