Denard Sentenced to a Slap on the Wrist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Denard Sentenced to a Slap on the Wrist

Great news for Alfonzo Denard and the Patriots. After being convicted for the felony offense of assaulting a peace officer, the CB received probation, and a 30 day jail sentence. The jail sentence doesn't begin until March 1, 2014. In fact, depending on how well Denard behaves himself while on probation, the jail sentence may be rescinded: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9159430/alfonzo-dennard-new-england-patriots-gets-30-days-jail-2014  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: Denard Sentenced to a Slap on the Wrist

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Great news for Alfonzo Denard and the Patriots. After being convicted for the felony offense of assaulting a peace officer, the CB received probation, and a 30 day jail sentence. The jail sentence doesn't begin until March 1, 2014. In fact, depending on how well Denard behaves himself while on probation, the jail sentence may be rescinded: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9159430/alfonzo-dennard-new-england-patriots-gets-30-days-jail-2014  

Pretty much stinks since the guy was a victim of police brutality!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I don't think any jail time can be termed a slap on the wrist. That is something that no one wants to experience even at a 'country club' prison.

And he will have a felony conviction on his record for life (or more likely for ten years and then get a loyal to appeal for vacating it.) In some states that precludes you from voting and a number of other  normal activities.

I think this was pretty standard for the nature of the offense, just a little surprised the prosecutor/defense didn't plead it down. Sort of a waste of resources.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

I don't think any jail time can be termed a slap on the wrist. That is something that no one wants to experience even at a 'country club' prison.

And he will have a felony conviction on his record for life (or more likely for ten years and then get a loyal to appeal for vacating it.) In some states that precludes you from voting and a number of other  normal activities.

I think this was pretty standard for the nature of the offense, just a little surprised the prosecutor/defense didn't plead it down. Sort of a waste of resources.

Yeah you don't want a felony on your record.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Im from the camp he should have never put himself in that situation just before the draft.  He got lucky and was taken by a winner.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Well it really doesn't matter since the NFL is the only Business that hires Felons.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Well it really doesn't matter since the NFL is the only Business that hires Felons.

Wow what a sad comment on the rest of the businesses that do hire folks but just not felons...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Im from the camp he should have never put himself in that situation just before the draft.  He got lucky and was taken by a winner.  

I hope not, but I'm starting to think the league could possibly take some sort of action against him.  Even though he was not employed by an NFL team at the time, he had participated in the NFL combine a few months earlier,  so yes, in a way he was part of the NFL at the time of his arrest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Your correct Phil. To even put himself in a position for something like this to occur was complete stupidity hopefully he's learned from it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I hope not, but I'm starting to think the league could possibly take some sort of action against him.  Even though he was not employed by an NFL team at the time, he had participated in the NFL combine a few months earlier,  so yes, in a way he was part of the NFL at the time of his arrest.

TB12 he was not considered an employee even remotely of the NFL when this unfortunate event took place. With that said Goodell really has no recourse. He could make another huge mistake and try to administer some sort of punishment but he would be putting the entire collective bargaining agreement in jeopardy by doing so. Not to count the immediate  law suit his action will have triggered,you see this is a nation of laws. The immediate response by Dennard would be a Wrongful action lawsuit,and all his lawyers would have to show a judge and jury to win is a copy of the NFLPA's contract with the owners. So though The ex jets employee might really hate the Patriots he's not going do anything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: True...but it could have been a lot worse.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

RESPONSE: From what I've read, the league likely won't take disciplinary action against Dennard. His actions resulted in him dropping from a second round draft pick to a 7th rounder in 2012...costing him a ton of money. Plus, he's now been punished through the legal system: http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/4/11/4212616/alfonzo-dennard-sentenced 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

LOL

Albert Breer   Albert Breer @AlbertBreer 1h

Just saw video of Alfonzo Dennard's court appearance in Lincoln ... Smooth move wearing the Nebraska letter jacket into the hearing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

There's a lot of dirty laundry that might be aired.

First, anyone who can bench press maybe 300 lbs shouldn't throw a punch in public, just as anyone who weighs 300 lbs shouldn't dive into the mosh pit.  A punch is a dangerous weapon if you've been lifting weights for the past eight years or more. 

Second, U.S. police will often tell standardized banal, fairly obvious lies about "police assault" in front of a judge, and they conspire to perjure themselves on the witness stand. 

Third, courts hate to punish rich and famous people.  Mr. Dennard has been earning the paltry NFL minimum wage, but that's lots more than I make.  He's the Nebraska local boy starting in two playoff games already.  Maybe general punishment is supposed to be about a general moral failing affecting your whole life, and Dennard (if he did it at all!) was a good kid with a bad two seconds.  Forgiveness seems to work with such people.  Somewhere there's a judge who was thinking about something else while driving and ran over a bicyclist, and the judge is going to get off scot-free with a check or a credit card.  Now, if a poor teenager of any color shot the same bicyclist with a bushmaster, that's different. 

Fourth, is it possible that Dennard had a roid rage moment?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

First, anyone who can bench press maybe 300 lbs shouldn't throw a punch in public, just as anyone who weighs 300 lbs shouldn't dive into the mosh pit.  A punch is a dangerous weapon if you've been lifting weights for the past eight years or more. 

Second, U.S. police will often tell standardized banal, fairly obvious lies about "police assault" in front of a judge, and they conspire to perjure themselves on the witness stand. 

Third, courts hate to punish rich and famous people.  Mr. Dennard has been earning the paltry NFL minimum wage, but that's lots more than I make.  He's the Nebraska local boy starting in two playoff games already.  Maybe general punishment is supposed to be about a general moral failing affecting your whole life, and Dennard (if he did it at all!) was a good kid with a bad two seconds.  Forgiveness seems to work with such people.  Somewhere there's a judge who was thinking about something else while driving and ran over a bicyclist, and the judge is going to get off scot-free with a check or a credit card.  Now, if a poor teenager of any color shot the same bicyclist with a bushmaster, that's different. 

I don't know about all of your dirty laundry categories but I can tell you police officers do walk up to stands take the oath and swear to packs of lies everyday! Unfortunately in courthouses everywheres in America it happens all to frequently,one cop lies and 20 more swear to the lie.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I don't know about all of your dirty laudry categories but I can tell you police officers do walk up to stands take the oath and swear to packs of lies everyday! Unfortunately in courthouses everywheres in America it happens all to frequently,one cop lies and 20 more swear to the lie.

Well then, don't put yourself in a position where you can fall victim to your "all cops are lying scum out to circumvent citicens rights under the Constitution".

let see, I've never been stopped, frisked or questioned by any law enforcement officer.  I guess I was always smart enough to know when it was time to leave.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

On the cop side - given that this was a pretty public place with a lot of folks milling around and almost all of them with cell phones capable of taking pictures, it is amazing that Dennard and his lawyers could not get enough evidence of 'police lies' to sway a few members of a jury if the incident was such a fabrication.

The kid made a mistake and is taking his medicine. It will not destroy his life and life will go on.

I am not blind to police doing wrong, just don't think there is any evidence that says this is one of those cases.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Not so tongue in cheek have you checked out The Senate and The House? Those guys are truly criminals. Seriously.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Something odd about the whole story here. they may have felt that they have to do something because so many people saw it but it doesn't sound like Dennard did much more than. React to getting grabbed from behind . He's never had any other legal problems  and isn't a trouble maker.

i think if he stays out of trouble, does some community service,  he won't end up serving any of that time. The Judge left an openining that she would be willing to reduce his time on good behavior.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

:)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Made my day TP--the kid is a physical corner and I love how he plays was glad to see the Judge not ruin this young mans carreer-he had no prior record--BTW BB and the Nebraska coach both sent letters to the Judge on Dennards behalf--pretty cool--Pats can draft D lineman and wideout now and pick up a corner with one of the 7ths.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: Nobody should be throwing punches, unless it's in self defense, or perhaps in defense of others. Any adult can do some damage with a punch. But, I get what you're saying. A punch is a lot more dangerous when it's thrown by a gladiator. 

RESPONSE: Come on now, Paul! I'm not going to say that police never lie, but "will often tell standardized banal, fairly obvious lies about "police assault" in front of a judge, and they conspire to perjure themselves..." Spare me!! Cops put their lives on the line every day for relatively low pay to protect the public. It's sad to see them disrespected like this.     

Third, courts hate to punish rich and famous people.  Mr. Dennard has been earning the paltry NFL minimum wage, but that's lots more than I make.  He's the Nebraska local boy starting in two playoff games already.  Maybe general punishment is supposed to be about a general moral failing affecting your whole life, and Dennard (if he did it at all!) was a good kid with a bad two seconds.

RESPONSE: STOP IT!! Though I agree that the rich and famous always seem to get a pass, a crime is a crime. Neither your or I saw what happened, or heard the evidence. But a jury of twelve (12) folks found unaminously that Dennard assaulted an officer. In the guilt or innocence portion of trial, it doesn't matter whether Dennard had "two bad seconds". Hitting an officer is a felony. End of story. The appropriate time to consider whether Dennard had "two bad seconds" in his life was at the punishment phase of the trial. Judging from the sentence given, Dennard received lieniency from the judge. 

Forgiveness seems to work with such people.  Somewhere there's a judge who was thinking about something else while driving and ran over a bicyclist, and the judge is going to get off scot-free with a check or a credit card.  Now, if a poor teenager of any color shot the same bicyclist with a bushmaster, that's different. 

RESPONSE: There's no denying that the rich and powerful stand better chances when in trouble than the average Joe. They have the money to make full and immediate restitution, buy off victims, and can afford to hire the best and most influential lawyers available. Nonetheless...our police officers must be respected, and protected. There's a lot of danger on the streets Paul, that, because you are a successful and fairly well to do individual, you and your family thankfully will never see.

RESPONSE: Anything is possible. But, even if true, should that excuse his actions? Should we excuse ex pro wrestler Chris Benoit because he had a roid rage moment? Taking drugs and roids is a choice...just as is drinking and driving. When one makes such choices, they must be held liable for any harm they have done to others, while under the influence.  

Sections
Shortcuts