Dennard must walk free if this is true...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Dennard must walk free if this is true...

Ta’amu gets probation after DUI incident

Ta'amu Getty Images

Last year, Steelers rookie defensive lineman Alameda Ta’amu was involved in a DUI incident that extended far beyond the run-of-the-mill drunk driving arrest.

A fourth-round pick in 2012, Ta’amu allegedly evaded the police, crashing his vehicle into other cars after nearly running over an officer whose gun was drawn.  He was charged with felony counts of fleeing police, aggravated assault while driving drunk, and three counts of aggravated assault, along with 10 misdemeanors including resisting arrest, attempting escape, drunk driving, and failure to obey traffic laws.

Ta’amu allegedly ran past two other officers who also had their guns drawn.

In other words, Ta’amu is lucky he’s alive.  He’s also lucky he’s not going to prison.

According to the Associated Press, Ta’amu has pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment, resisting arrest, and drunk driving.  For his sentence, he’ll spend four days in a “DUI hotel” and serve 18 months probation.

“I know what I’ve done is wrong,” Ta’amu said.  “I’d do anything to make it right.  What I did affected my whole family.  I’ve got to keep learning from my mistakes.  So far, I think I’ve done a good job of staying away [from alcohol].”

The Steelers suspended Ta’amu for two games after the arrest, which arguably prevents the NFL from imposing another suspension.  He later was cut but then re-signed to the practice squad.  Ta’amu currently is a member of the team’s offseason roster.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Re: Dennard must walk free if this is true...

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

Hold your horses...depends on A) what state laws were involved...each state has slightly different sentencing guidelines for each type of felony, etc...state legislatures pass the laws and each state is different and B) Dennard was charged with hitting a cop...that's just about the worst NO NO, other than child rape and murder (exagerration, of course) you can do in order to gaurentee the courts give you a hard time. Hitting a cop usually gets you some kind of time, or extended probation...it's just the way it is...not like I'm speaking from experience or anything...LOL

Are you kidding me.... Assault while driving drunk...That is a deadly weapon...as opposed to assault with a fist....Give me a break...

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I'm talking from experience.....drunk driving while speeding ain't too bad next to wackin' a cop...it's just the way it is...especially in a hard a@s state like Indiana...if Taa'amu did his crime in Penn., they love Steelers and that explains why he got off so light...

It should not matter what state you are in. If it is wrong it is wrong. And it sure as heck should not matter whether someone else who holds the same job as you or works for the same company gets off scott free.

And.... If you drive and you are drunk you should have your license suspended. If you drive and you are drunk and you drive in such a way that you are endangering others you should go to jail. It is like firing a gun indiscriminantly. You are a danger to the life, liberty and happiness of others.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:

Hold your horses...depends on A) what state laws were involved...each state has slightly different sentencing guidelines for each type of felony, etc...state legislatures pass the laws and each state is different and B) Dennard was charged with hitting a cop...that's just about the worst NO NO, other than child rape and murder (exagerration, of course) you can do in order to gaurentee the courts give you a hard time. Hitting a cop usually gets you some kind of time, or extended probation...it's just the way it is...not like I'm speaking from experience or anything...LOL

Are you kidding me.... Assault while driving drunk...That is a deadly weapon...as opposed to assault with a fist....Give me a break...

+1, think if I was a cop I'd rather get punched than have a guy try to run me down with a vehicle.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Running a cop over with a vehicle while his gun is drawn > then punching a cop.

It is surely a good sign this guy didn't go to the clink..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Running a cop over with a vehicle while his gun is drawn > then punching a cop.

It is surely a good sign this guy didn't go to the clink..

Yup, assault or attempted murder? Which is worse?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Not 'every' time... if you're Good Will Hunting then when you hit a cop you get to be mentored by a Fields medal winning mathematics professor

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Not 'every' time... if you're Good Will Hunting then when you hit a cop you get to be mentored by a Fields medal winning mathematics professor

Great flick

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I'm talking from experience.....drunk driving while speeding ain't too bad next to wackin' a cop...it's just the way it is...especially in a hard a@s state like Indiana...if Taa'amu did his crime in Penn., they love Steelers and that explains why he got off so light...

It should not matter what state you are in. If it is wrong it is wrong. And it sure as heck should not matter whether someone else who holds the same job as you or works for the same company gets off scott free.

And.... If you drive and you are drunk you should have your license suspended. If you drive and you are drunk and you drive in such a way that you are endangering others you should go to jail. It is like firing a gun indiscriminantly. You are a danger to the life, liberty and happiness of others.

oh it matters what state ur in...the redneck/s**tkicker states are mean...they love Jesus a lot though!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

My friend..you just don't get it..you CANNOT HIT A COP...PERIOD...try it sometime and see how much time you get...

yeah but some DESERVE it you know?  Smile

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

The question isn't about the NFL's punishment because it at best will be like this with probation so they protect themselves and the trademark.

But, he was only guilty of resisting, not "assault". 

Unfortunately, (and yes I still think Dennard is being used as a famous name to tame an apparent crime problem in that neighborhood in Lincoln), Dennard's conviction whether legit or not, will not be tied to this example.

I see him serving no more than 30 days. It may not even be that. The word was the prosecutors weren't necessarily interested in time, but money.

He's already paid and he'll pay $ome more.

He was a slam dunk 2nd rd pick and he went in the 7th.  He has no prior record. 30 days, max.

He'll be the starting RCB in September. Book it.

u do see the irony of saying "book it" on this thread right?  haha

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

The question isn't about the NFL's punishment because it at best will be like this with probation so they protect themselves and the trademark.

But, he was only guilty of resisting, not "assault". 

Unfortunately, (and yes I still think Dennard is being used as a famous name to tame an apparent crime problem in that neighborhood in Lincoln), Dennard's conviction whether legit or not, will not be tied to this example.

I see him serving no more than 30 days. It may not even be that. The word was the prosecutors weren't necessarily interested in time, but money.

He's already paid and he'll pay $ome more.

He was a slam dunk 2nd rd pick and he went in the 7th.  He has no prior record. 30 days, max.

He'll be the starting RCB in September. Book it.

Hope so, Pats need him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Ta’amu gets probation after DUI incident Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT Ta'amu Getty Images

Last year, Steelers rookie defensive lineman Alameda Ta’amu was involved in a DUI incident that extended far beyond the run-of-the-mill drunk driving arrest.

A fourth-round pick in 2012, Ta’amu allegedly evaded the police, crashing his vehicle into other cars after nearly running over an officer whose gun was drawn.  He was charged with felony counts of fleeing police, aggravated assault while driving drunk, and three counts of aggravated assault, along with 10 misdemeanors including resisting arrest, attempting escape, drunk driving, and failure to obey traffic laws.

In other words, Ta’amu is lucky he’s alive.  He’s also lucky he’s not going to prison.

According to the Associated Press, Ta’amu has pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment, resisting arrest, and drunk driving.  For his sentence, he’ll spend four days in a “DUI hotel” and serve 18 months probation.

“I know what I’ve done is wrong,” Ta’amu said.  “I’d do anything to make it right.  What I did affected my whole family.  I’ve got to keep learning from my mistakes.  So far, I think I’ve done a good job of staying away [from alcohol].”

The Steelers suspended Ta’amu for two games after the arrest, which arguably prevents the NFL from imposing another suspension.  He later was cut but then re-signed to the practice squad.  Ta’amu currently is a member of the team’s offseason roster.

4 days for all that, what a weak court system. He should've got at least 6 months to serve. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I would think more.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

What happened?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

oh it matters what state ur in...the redneck/s**tkicker states are mean...they love Jesus a lot though!

What? Have you ever been off the Island? Theres nice people all over this country. You sure have a lot of opinions of people based off your speculation and or what you have been told by who knows who. And you wonder why people dont like you here. Do you have something against Jesus? Let me inform you that theres a lot of people who love Jesus a lot and are a lot nicer then you are. What do you think you are the self proclaimed board cop?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Ta’amu gets probation after DUI incident Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT Ta'amu Getty Images

He should be given the Kaczur Treatment!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

My friend..you just don't get it..you CANNOT HIT A COP...PERIOD...try it sometime and see how much time you get...

You probably get nothing if it was your first offense. In Connecticut you wouldn't even have a record in 2 years.

Sections
Shortcuts