Dennard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Dennard

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

He's not going to jail, Stallworth killed a woman and he didn't go to jail. Roethlisberger raped one, he'll probably get probation and the full 11,000 dollar fine. 

Perks of being rich/famous are that the law only applies to you when you go far pass the line. 

power and money do tilt justice. as in all cases (where there is no mandaatory sentencing), it will depend on the judge.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

He's not going to jail, Stallworth killed a woman and he didn't go to jail. Roethlisberger raped one, he'll probably get probation and the full 11,000 dollar fine. 

Perks of being rich/famous are that the law only applies to you when you go far pass the line. 

So true.  Slight correction, Rothlisberger raped two women...that we know of.

my understanding is that at least 3 came forward before, he, his minions or the law shut off any criminal proceedings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

It's OK, we still have Arrington.

that is the worst joke ever. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

It's OK, we still have Arrington.

that is the worst joke ever. 

no joke, they are going to need Arrington

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvegas74. Show dvegas74's posts

In response to MordecaiBloodmoon's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In what way do u guys not see him assaulting a cop?  Because he says so? 

I wasn't there, but he was guilty for assaulting a police officer. I'm assuming that's what he did. I read on here from someone today that cops are out to get people due to the economy as a means for raising money for the state in the form of fines, violations/tickets, etc. I don't know how that pertains to this case - you trying to tell me an officer will take a punch to raise money for the state? Why would that help? If a guy goes to jail the state and tax payers are paying for a guy's food, heat, linens, tooth brush, soap, shampoo and any mediacl issues that pop up.

The state doesn't want people in prison, they can't afford it.

As a member of the law enforcement community, in my agency there is no mandate, suggestions, winks, pressure or anything like that to write tickets etc.  The only thing I know of that is generating the extra cash you speak of is red light cameras/red light tickets.  I personally have no time to charge someone that didnt commit a crime.  It is a ton of paperwork and I hate paperwork.  If Dennard was convicted, I assume he did it.  As a Pats fan it saddens me, as I like him as a player, but that doesnt make his actions any better. 

So as a member of law enforment please answere this. Do you feel givin what we have learned of the case and his being found guilty he should serve jail time? Keep in mind he has a clean record (barely touched the officer) all ready lost millions of dollars from this. He is now with the best football team in terms of dealing with problem childs. He is in the best situation here in NE. Would jail time really benifet society in this case? Is he a safety concern? I personally believe yes he did commit the crime he was convicted of. I also believe the best way to handle this is with a suspended sentece, fine and community outreach.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dvegas74's comment:

I wasn't there, but he was guilty for assaulting a police officer. I'm assuming that's what he did. I read on here from someone today that cops are out to get people due to the economy as a means for raising money for the state in the form of fines, violations/tickets, etc. I don't know how that pertains to this case - you trying to tell me an officer will take a punch to raise money for the state? Why would that help? If a guy goes to jail the state and tax payers are paying for a guy's food, heat, linens, tooth brush, soap, shampoo and any mediacl issues that pop up.

As a member of the law enforcement community, in my agency there is no mandate, suggestions, winks, pressure or anything like that to write tickets etc.  The only thing I know of that is generating the extra cash you speak of is red light cameras/red light tickets.  I personally have no time to charge someone that didnt commit a crime.  It is a ton of paperwork and I hate paperwork.  If Dennard was convicted, I assume he did it.  As a Pats fan it saddens me, as I like him as a player, but that doesnt make his actions any better. 

So as a member of law enforment please answere this. Do you feel givin what we have learned of the case and his being found guilty he should serve jail time? Keep in mind he has a clean record (barely touched the officer) all ready lost millions of dollars from this. He is now with the best football team in terms of dealing with problem childs. He is in the best situation here in NE. Would jail time really benifet society in this case? Is he a safety concern? I personally believe yes he did commit the crime he was convicted of. I also believe the best way to handle this is with a suspended sentece, fine and community outreach.

hi dvegas,

agree with your whole postion. society not being seerved by paying for a non criminal to be lumped in wiht criminals. we live in thee most imprisoned society in the world by population and percentage of population and it aint even close. we have a prison industry, just like a military industrial complex that thrives on the need for invasions/mass murder (and it thirves on the need for prisoners). it is growing eponentially.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

no problem with any of your reasoning but the last sentence. the state makes money on prison labor, in fact, private corporations are growing larger and larger in number in the prison insdustry for this reason. further, tax dollars for prisons will never be shut off. the power brokers in this country have built a model based on imprisonment as a means of compliance (and a means to lock up as much non-eoropean american (aka minority) youth as possible.

Interesting. It's funny how politicians will always always find a way to make money for themselves and their coorporate buddies. Meanwhile us tax payers are probably paying to help these companies.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Interesting watching the video in this link. There were more than 140 'assaults' in that block last year, about 3 every week on average, and mention several 'assualt on a police officer' charges. They don't mention what the outcome of those cases was unfortunately.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/02/juury_finds_den.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Guy got in a fight in his last college game. Seems like he has a short temper. I don't understand how people keep talking as if they were there and know what he did/didn't do.

Don't know the guy personally and wasn't there. But it wouldn't surprise me if Dennard did what the cop claims.

You do realize that Dennard never originally did anything in the first place, correct?  I would expect an appeal or a lawsuit agains the police for false arrest after they used testimony from the victim who said Dennard did not hit him.

How many people do you know get arrested or approached to be arrested for no reason, acting like they're expecting it?

What you fail to know is that cops are legally allowed to stop someone in this situation.  We are required to act is certain circumstances.  If Dennard hit the guy, or just seemed to hit the guy doesnt matter.  An arrest is not a conviction.  The cops is stopping the apparent threat first, then can sort through the situation to clear it up.  However, once Dennard resisted and struck him, then there is an issue.  You dont have the right to resist or refuse being taken into custody.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In response to dvegas74's comment:

I dont know you personally.  I dont know him and I am a HUGE Pats fan.  The millions$ dont concern me, that was lost by him and a choice he made.  Money doesnt factor into what I do for a living and who gets charged or how long they get in terms of jail time.  The law is created to be fair to all people. Do you think because Dennard is a football player, playing for our beloved Pats he should be treated better or get less time than say, if you were charged?  Is that how you want society to be?  To answer regarding would jail time benefit society, Yes it would.  It shows that no one is above the law, not even people with money that are famous, etc.  Just because it is his first time, doesnt preclude it from being the start of something.  However when many people learn a hard lesson the first time, they dont go on to re-offend.  As far as, is he a safety concern?  The purpose isnt to judge that, it is to judge his actions that he committed.    I have dealt with murderers that I dont think are a safety concern going forward in life, but it doesnt mean I would want to have no consequences for them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Guy got in a fight in his last college game. Seems like he has a short temper. I don't understand how people keep talking as if they were there and know what he did/didn't do.

Don't know the guy personally and wasn't there. But it wouldn't surprise me if Dennard did what the cop claims.

You do realize that Dennard never originally did anything in the first place, correct?  I would expect an appeal or a lawsuit agains the police for false arrest after they used testimony from the victim who said Dennard did not hit him.

How many people do you know get arrested or approached to be arrested for no reason, acting like they're expecting it?

What you fail to know is that cops are legally allowed to stop someone in this situation.  We are required to act is certain circumstances.  If Dennard hit the guy, or just seemed to hit the guy doesnt matter.  An arrest is not a conviction.  The cops is stopping the apparent threat first, then can sort through the situation to clear it up.  However, once Dennard resisted and struck him, then there is an issue.  You dont have the right to resist or refuse being taken into custody.

Right, and the thing is I highly doubt an off duty police officer wanted to get involved with fighting college kids at 2 am...so Dennard did something. The officer stated he knew it was Dennard - now knowing that, only increases the officer's desire to NOT want to have this thing escalate into something that will turn into the media circus that it did. An officer has to react when someone is getting puched or assaulted, it's his duty, if the officer had been caught on tape doing nothing in a circumstance like that he would find himself in trouble.

The resisting arrest part of it is mandatory punishment...when assault on a police officer is added, it will make it worse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Dennards a jailbird and Gronkowski's a drunk.

Is that what they call the "patriot way"?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

no problem with any of your reasoning but the last sentence. the state makes money on prison labor, in fact, private corporations are growing larger and larger in number in the prison insdustry for this reason. further, tax dollars for prisons will never be shut off. the power brokers in this country have built a model based on imprisonment as a means of compliance (and a means to lock up as much non-eoropean american (aka minority) youth as possible.

Interesting. It's funny how politicians will always always find a way to make money for themselves and their coorporate buddies. Meanwhile us tax payers are probably paying to help these companies.

sad but true. 

i could talk to you for hours about how it works with the military, or just mention the tax dollar supported tobbacco "farmers" aka corporations who get paid by tax dollars to cultivate addiction and death in the populace.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

I thought we were discussing Dennard,the guy that killed the so called "patriot way" and was looking at jail time.

How did this become a political Forum?

Stay focussed gang!Any word on Gronkowski and his stint in rehab as of yet?

Now there is a subject everybody in here is trying to avoid.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

i could talk to you for hours about how it works with the military,. . . .

Oh, I'm sure you could and authoritatively, objectively and with facts and figures to back it all up.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 81patsfan. Show 81patsfan's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Seriously? so the fact that belichick traded a 4th rounder for talib you really think he was that concerned with his off the field issues? People can change there ways when they want in the right situations maybe thats all he needed was the right situation and that could be, being a patriot, kids and adults make mistakes all the time maybe he learned from his, who knows? just speculation, but i do know that he was quiet for the time he was here and he's still quiet at the beginning of this offseason for a guy with so much off the field issues. If bill gave him a chance we should to and give him the benefit of the doubt, because he clearly made our secondary better not all the way better but good enoough to compete.

so if he won't get probation we "must" sign talib and draft a cb probaly in the first round don't you think?

There is no way I'd let this circumstance force me to make a decision on Talib that I didn't want to make. I keep hearing that this has ruined our leverage on Talib, if anything this strengthens it. This may be a prime example of why it is risky to sign a guy that has off the field issues. Now Dennard may or may not of been caught up in an unfortunate incident that is going to cost him, but Dennard basically cost us nothing. That won't be the case with Talib, imagine something like this happening to a guy that cost us 45 million? And Talib is the guy with all the off field stuff - Dennard supposedly had none of that.

I doubt Kraft is sitting there thinking he needs to hand a known problem 45 million right now, if anything he's thinking he can't. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to 81patsfan's comment:

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

Seriously? so the fact that belichick traded a 4th rounder for talib you really think he was that concerned with his off the field issues? People can change there ways when they want in the right situations maybe thats all he needed was the right situation and that could be, being a patriot, kids and adults make mistakes all the time maybe he learned from his, who knows? just speculation, but i do know that he was quiet for the time he was here and he's still quiet at the beginning of this offseason for a guy with so much off the field issues. If bill gave him a chance we should to and give him the benefit of the doubt, because he clearly made our secondary better not all the way better but good enoough to compete.

so if he won't get probation we "must" sign talib and draft a cb probaly in the first round don't you think?

There is no way I'd let this circumstance force me to make a decision on Talib that I didn't want to make. I keep hearing that this has ruined our leverage on Talib, if anything this strengthens it. This may be a prime example of why it is risky to sign a guy that has off the field issues. Now Dennard may or may not of been caught up in an unfortunate incident that is going to cost him, but Dennard basically cost us nothing. That won't be the case with Talib, imagine something like this happening to a guy that cost us 45 million? And Talib is the guy with all the off field stuff - Dennard supposedly had none of that.

I doubt Kraft is sitting there thinking he needs to hand a known problem 45 million right now, if anything he's thinking he can't. 

Who knows? Maybe. I think they have some time to see how things shake out - I think Dennard is set to be sentenced before the draft and they will also get a real good chance to see what Talib is getting for offers in free agency.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Explain this.  The reporting that I am reading suggests that Dennard may have been feeling a bit full of himself that night getting into it with more than the just the person he hit before hitting the cop. 

stop making excuses for the guy. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

America.. represents less than 5% of the world's population and almost 25% of the world's prisoners. 

And most of the world's population lives in developing countries that have neither the resources nor the legal system to imprison criminals. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Found guilty but not sentenced. I read that the prosecutor is not recommending jail time.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Russ - here's the account from your newspaper

According to the Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star, Ben Samani, a 22-year-old student at the University of Nebraska, testified Thursday that Dennard “shouldered” him as the two crossed O Street in opposite directions as the area’s bars were letting out for the night.

Dennard was a standout for the Cornhuskers and was reportedly celebrating on the night of the incident, just days before he was to be selected in the NFL draft.

“My first reaction was to push off [Dennard],” Samani said.

The cornerback swung at Samani, punching him in the chest, but he said it wasn’t a hard punch.

Initially Samani said he didn’t feel any pain, but later testified that he felt slight pain that lasted just a couple of seconds. Samani said right after Dennard’s punch he was blindsided by someone else, who is unknown at this point, which left him with a bloody mouth and three of his teeth pushed back.

Clearly Dennard did hit Samani, per the testimony.  Someone else may have hit him as well, but Samani said Dennard hit him. 

Further, police testified that there were issues going on before this altercation, that the police told Dennard to leave, and as he was leaving, he had the altercation with Samani. 

Russ, sometimes I don't know what you read or if you read at all or if you are really just so mentally blind that you can't see facts unless they fit your perspective. Whatever it is, I recommend change. 

I don't know Dennard.  Maybe he's not a bad guy.  But he was out with friends and family.  How many times have we heard about friends and family causing problems for athletes?  plenty. 

There were issues already occuring involving Dennard and/or his entourage causing the police presence before the altercation.  Dennard chose to insert himself into a situation, and based on what I read, make some stupid decisions with his hands.  Clearly he was upset.  Alcohol probably fueled the poor decision making and emotions.  Dennard knew police were around, but he still threw punches.  Bad idea.  Worse that one of the people he threw a punch at happened to be one of those cops. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

I was just think that this place needed a third Dennard post.  I would haqve named it "Worse pick, 7th rounder jailbird or 2nd rounder bust?"  As it turns out (actually as was the case from the get go) Dennard was not some brilliant 7th round pick by BB, he was guy with 3rd round talent that fell because most thought he's end up in jail. 

What this place needs is less YOU.  At least Dennard posts are about the Patriots.  You are about slobbering on Rex's knob.

As far as Dennard goes, it's too bad he isn't Cary Williams.  Otherwise, the cop would have NOT NOTICED he was being assaulted, and when the tape was reviewed and showed it, he could have just said that he thought the cop was a regular guy.  And gotten away with it.  

25. This post has been removed.