Denver Broncos

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Re: Denver Broncos

I think the Steelers had their bags packed just before the 2001 AFCCG...and they had the gall to leave them out for all to see.

As for Denver...their defensive scheme and players largely have NOT changed since we waxed them twice last year and got the better of them this year.  That doesn't mean the Broncos can't beat us, but I don't think our offense is a good matchup for their well-ranked defense...at home or away.

Here's the way our guys lose:

1. We face a mean and lean defense...perhaps Cincy or almost any of those NFC teams.

2. Almost a 1A, Brady throws it for 40+ times.  Bad things happen against solid teams.  They need to run the ball on first downs instead of essentially giving away a down each set they get by throwing it incomplete on first down.  At least they get something on first which based on how our guys are running, should open up a world of opportunity on second down.  Throwing incomplete on first and then running into the line on second is stupid.  I'd like to see a focused offensive plan (runs, RB screens (don't like WR screens as much), and play action passes) while there's a checkdown for Brady at all times...be it Welker, Woodhead, Gronk, or even Branch...

3. They beat themselves...turnovers, sloppy/unfocused playcalling, Josh Boyer school of defensive back play (TURN YOUR HEAD!), etc.

4. Health or lackthereof...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It's all on Stevan. 

Brady owns their defense and BB always owns Peyton for 2-1/2 quarters, it's the other quarter and a half that always gets sticky. When that happens, Ridley will have to play keep away and hold the ball. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Go Pats!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to Ytsejamer1's comment:

I think the Steelers had their bags packed just before the 2001 AFCCG...and they had the gall to leave them out for all to see.

As for Denver...their defensive scheme and players largely have NOT changed since we waxed them twice last year and got the better of them this year.  That doesn't mean the Broncos can't beat us, but I don't think our offense is a good matchup for their well-ranked defense...at home or away.

1. We face a mean and lean defense...perhaps Cincy or almost any of those NFC teams.

2. Almost a 1A, Brady throws it for 40+ times.  Bad things happen against solid teams.  They need to run the ball on first downs instead of essentially giving away a down each set they get by throwing it incomplete on first down.  At least they get something on first which based on how our guys are running, should open up a world of opportunity on second down.  Throwing incomplete on first and then running into the line on second is stupid.  I'd like to see a focused offensive plan (runs, RB screens (don't like WR screens as much), and play action passes) while there's a checkdown for Brady at all times...be it Welker, Woodhead, Gronk, or even Branch...

3. They beat themselves...turnovers, sloppy/unfocused playcalling, Josh Boyer school of defensive back play (TURN YOUR HEAD!), etc.

Good points.

We can only play the Bengals in the AFCCG. So Cincy would have to beat both Baltimore and Denver.

I don't think it's so much "run the ball" on first down, but rather "do what works" in accordance with the team and scheme. Throwing 40+ times is not a problem if it's working and we're ahead. It is a problem if we get way behind. Though, I can't see falling behind by double digits to any of the AFC teams...except, of course, if the turnover bug hits.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I respectfully disagree a smal bit NYPatsfan...I think running the ball on first IS important. (not necessarily EVERY SINGLE time without taking into account the tempo of the game)  When we had a mediocre-at-best RB in Antowain Smith, Weis would still run the ball even if it wasn't netting much.  The attempt was extremely important in opening up other things.  Play action was deadly.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

Good points.

We can only play the Bengals in the AFCCG. So Cincy would have to beat both Baltimore and Denver.

I don't think it's so much "run the ball" on first down, but rather "do what works" in accordance with the team and scheme. Throwing 40+ times is not a problem if it's working and we're ahead. It is a problem if we get way behind. Though, I can't see falling behind by double digits to any of the AFC teams...except, of course, if the turnover bug hits.

Of course, but good Ds stall or do pretty good against us when we use a shotgun spread base, which is why Ystemater's comment above is correct. Actually, we're pretty much all on the same page.

My issue with it is, they seem to think the finesse shotgun base can still work against good or great Ds, ones we see in the postseason, and it doesn't.

It's vital that they do what they did last night which is show run with Ridley, and don't abandon it. 

Well, I absolutely agree that we should not be throwing 40+ times out the shotgun; we can still throw with Brady under center. I'm just saying we should run and throw situationally.

Suppose the opposing D has 4 DBs on the field with slow, beefy LBs and safeties creeping forward to the box. Should we run the ball, and give the D a gift 2nd-and-long? I would say "no" every time to this. But if they're running a dime or a nickel with smaller LBs, then I would absolutely run on first down.

The nice thing about the speed with which the Pats play is that they can trap opposing teams D's into keeping the same personnel on the field in both running and passing situations. Gronk is the key here. If he is even 80% healthy, Brady has flexibility to go run or pass on any down.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Good points.

Of course, but good Ds stall or do pretty good against us when we use a shotgun spread base, which is why Ystemater's comment above is correct. Actually, we're pretty much all on the same page.

My issue with it is, they seem to think the finesse shotgun base can still work against good or great Ds, ones we see in the postseason, and it doesn't.

It's vital that they do what they did last night which is show run with Ridley, and don't abandon it. 

Well, I absolutely agree that we should not be throwing 40+ times out the shotgun; we can still throw with Brady under center. I'm just saying we should run and throw situationally.

Suppose the opposing D has 4 DBs on the field with slow, beefy LBs and safeties creeping forward to the box. Should we run the ball, and give the D a gift 2nd-and-long? I would say "no" every time to this. But if they're running a dime or a nickel with smaller LBs, then I would absolutely run on first down.

The nice thing about the speed with which the Pats play is that they can trap opposing teams D's into keeping the same personnel on the field in both running and passing situations. Gronk is the key here. If he is even 80% healthy, Brady has flexibility to go run or pass on any down.

There are always exceptions, that's why I said the majority of this board (minus the psychos) are alll on the same page, generally speaking.

Put it this way, I would not change out the lone set back Ridley package with Gronk, Hernandez, Welker and Lloyd as the passing options for MUCH of the postseason.

Reason being is: D's have absolutely no idea if that's a run or a pass and if Brady is under center, it's even better.

That should be our base offense for MOST of all the games we play in.

Fair enough. As I mentioned, I thought Ytsejamer1 made good points in general.

Sections
Shortcuts