Denver/Dumervil

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Denver/Dumervil

Well, I would certainly hate to see Welker on the Broncos. The Pats had no one in the secondary who could cover D. Thomas last year, and adding a Welker to the mix not only makes that task more difficult, but would aid with Manning's declining arm strength. It would be a great move on offense for the Broncs, but as you say, Rusty, might have crippling effects on the D if Welker costs too much.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I would freaking hate to see Welker go to Denver but that is one of the landing places I have mentioned him going to for him for a long while now.  I think Manning would love to throw to Welker, especially since he can't throw the deeper ball as well.  I know the Broncos would have some cuts here and there but I don't think to the point where it would hurt them from going deep into the playoffs, possibly SB.

Man, I really dislike this possibly becoming a reality.  Makes sense they would have to cut some contracts to make Welker going there a possibility.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I just don't see Denver having the money to persue Welker or that if they did, that they would be a better team. You only have so much money to play with and spending 38M on a slot, LT and QB combined leaves you awfully thin on money for the rest of the offense - basically 12-15M for 8 starters and 15 back-ups. You either are playing 8 rookies on offense or you are starving your defense. And Denver's problem last year wasn't offense - when they were beat it was mostly because they gave up more points than they could score.

As far as their cap situation - they are going to save big by cutting or drastically reducing Champ Bailey's deal and they will probably get a longer term deal for Clady signed to reduce the current cap hit.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

The Broncos are wanting Dumervil to take a paycut or releasing him....there is talk about interest in signing Freeney

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'd take Dumervil here on the Patriots if Denver cut him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

I just don't see Denver having the money to persue Welker or that if they did, that they would be a better team. You only have so much money to play with and spending 38M on a slot, LT and QB combined leaves you awfully thin on money for the rest of the offense - basically 12-15M for 8 starters and 15 back-ups. You either are playing 8 rookies on offense or you are starving your defense. And Denver's problem last year wasn't offense - when they were beat it was mostly because they gave up more points than they could score.

As far as their cap situation - they are going to save big by cutting or drastically reducing Champ Bailey's deal and they will probably get a longer term deal for Clady signed to reduce the current cap hit.

Denver is $16 million under the cap as of yesterday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Um, no on Dumervil.  He was horrible against the run and committed 8 penalties.  Pro football focus suggested he was the most overpaid defender in the NFL last season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to mia76's comment:

Denver is $16 million under the cap as of yesterday.

I think your number is out of date with the Clady tag - they started at about 18M (which included 14M in 2012 roll-over) and unless they cut someone I missed or have done some major restructure already that I also missed they now have 8M left. Between Dumervil and Bailey they can pick up some cap space with renegotiations, but they also have holes to fill at DB and other roster areas for upgrade. And that roll-over number is important because it is cap space that is only available this year and will not be available next year if they spend to the cap this year, which means the second year of contracts they sign will be a problem next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I think Manning wants Freeney, so he likely gets Freeney.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

This one smells a bit. With Clady being tagged to a huge number they are now asking Dumervil to take an actual paycut.

Seems like this would be tied to Welker's situation.

I think Denver has one last run here in 2013.  They still don't scare me from the defensive side of the ball. 

Obviously, if they were to get Welker, they would need to overpay and you have to wonder how that affects other parts of their roster.   Tracy Porter is being let go, I don't like their Safeties, and now camp cut here in NE, Tony Carter, is being rumored to be a starter on the edge. Ouch.

Well, I would certainly hate to see Welker on the Broncos. The Pats had no one in the secondary who could cover D. Thomas last year, and adding a Welker to the mix not only makes that task more difficult, but would aid with Manning's declining arm strength. It would be a great move on offense for the Broncs, but as you say, Rusty, might have crippling effects on the D if Welker costs too much

Hmm, Denver is in a position to really only think about getting the advantage over the Pats, the Texans and the Ravens and they will have a good chance to make it through the AFC, Welker would help there, compliment their offense and Manning woudl know how to use him.

I think they would break the bank to make one or two year run. Wonder if Welker would go for a deal with big bucks on paper but not much guaranteed after year 1 and maybe 2. I think thats where Denver would go but they would want the option to release him after year 2 without much cap hit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

When you make 12 mil per you had better be the second coming LT in the NFL. He wasn't so his 12 mil will be "cut" one way or the other.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

An unclutch QB throwing to an unclutch WR? -_-...I cower in fear.

We keep Talib and I do not fear Denver, Talib can handle Thomas (McCourty was on Thomas when we faced them) and Dennard can handle Decker. The Pats have won 0 SBs with Wes Welker, why would Denver fear any better?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

An unclutch QB throwing to an unclutch WR? -_-...I cower in fear.

We keep Talib and I do not fear Denver, Talib can handle Thomas (McCourty was on Thomas when we faced them) and Dennard can handle Decker. The Pats have won 0 SBs with Wes Welker, why would Denver fear any better?

Assuming that Talib can actually stay on the field.  he's had a problem with that the last 3 seasons.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

That would stink, I really liked the Von Doom nickname.

Denver would also have an extremely potent offense with Welker, Thomas, Decker.

That being said, I don't see it happening, here's why: Indianapolis Colts/Patriots. You can put the 2011 Packers in their too. Loading up on offense and disregarding the defense is a good way to get 12+ wins and an early round exit in the playoffs.

If Den is going to cut Doom, then it should be for a safety or a corner, not WW. And Im not saying that because I don't want Welker to go to the Broncos

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

That would stink, I really liked the Von Doom nickname.

Denver would also have an extremely potent offense with Welker, Thomas, Decker.

That being said, I don't see it happening, here's why: Indianapolis Colts/Patriots. You can put the 2011 Packers in their too. Loading up on offense and disregarding the defense is a good way to get 12+ wins and an early round exit in the playoffs.

If Den is going to cut Doom, then it should be for a safety or a corner, not WW. And Im not saying that because I don't want Welker to go to the Broncos

Roger that. Champ bailey will be gone as soon as financially possible.  they had that playoff game won.  How embarrassing of an end to his legacy. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Elway: Dumervil’s salary is “out of whack, hopefully he realizes that”

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2013, 9:29 PM EDT Divisional Playoffs - Denver Broncos v New England PatriotsGetty Images

The Broncos will cut defensive end Elvis Dumervil on Friday if he doesn’t take a significant pay cut. Although all indications are that Dumervil isn’t willing to cut his pay by as much as the Broncos want, Denver front office boss John Elway says he wants Dumervil to realize that there’s just no way he’s ever going to get paid the $12 million salary on his current contract.

It’s so far out of whack,” Elway told the Denver Post of Dumervil’s salary. “Hopefully, he realizes that.”

Elway says he feels bad asking a good player to take a pay cut and understands why players resist. But he also said it’s just part of the business.

“These are the deals that wrench your gut,” Elway said. “As an ex-player, I hate to see that. I hated to see that happen to a teammate. And I hate having to do it, in the position I’m in. But I’ve got to do what’s best for this football team.”

It’s looking like Elway will decide that what’s best for the Broncos is to release Dumervil and sign another defensive end.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

What a great GM Elway is... hahahaha. Terrible move to voice that publicly.