Denver game observations from PFF

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Denver game observations from PFF

Every team has flaws. If your team's flaw (or one of them) is at the QB position, it's fatal. Always. That's a reality of the modern NFL.

If it's some other position, like DT (see New England) you can find a way to compensate. It's not fatal.  If, like the Pats, you have a great QB, you can outscore people to cover up flaws.

Used to be you might get away with that in the reg season, but the playoffs were different. That's not the case anymore. You have to be able to score, a lot. It's not enough to play great defense. The rules are different, the games are officiated different. You have to be able to pass the ball, you can't rely on a running game. The Denver game proved that.

Look at the Super Bowl last year, two allegedly strong defenses in a shootout. Might as well have been a reg season game between New Orleans and Green Bay. Defense in the NFL isn't dead, but it's in a bad way.

That's the reason Denver's flaw is fatal. Manning can't play in weather. Unless they build a roof in Denver (or Foxboro), he won't need to worry about the weather in New Jersey in February.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

It is not the weather. Manning was not allowed to throw in the middle. They made him throw to the outside which is difficult with the wind that day. The Pats were not worried about the run game as the more time spent running is less time of Manning passing. BB and coaches took away the bread and butter once again of a team. The only reason they scored the tying TD was perfect throws on nearly perfect defense. Just look at the catches they made the D was right there.

BB and coaches out coached the other team plain and simple and the players did everything right in the 2nd half

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I hate PFF. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Every team has flaws. If your team's flaw (or one of them) is at the QB position, it's fatal. Always. That's a reality of the modern NFL.

If it's some other position, like DT (see New England) you can find a way to compensate. It's not fatal.  If, like the Pats, you have a great QB, you can outscore people to cover up flaws.

Used to be you might get away with that in the reg season, but the playoffs were different. That's not the case anymore. You have to be able to score, a lot. It's not enough to play great defense. The rules are different, the games are officiated different. You have to be able to pass the ball, you can't rely on a running game. The Denver game proved that.

Look at the Super Bowl last year, two allegedly strong defenses in a shootout. Might as well have been a reg season game between New Orleans and Green Bay. Defense in the NFL isn't dead, but it's in a bad way.

That's the reason Denver's flaw is fatal. Manning can't play in weather. Unless they build a roof in Denver (or Foxboro), he won't need to worry about the weather in New Jersey in February.

He should have picked arizona.  Would get 9 games in a dome per year, plus more domes in the nfc than afc.   Welkie also went to the wrong place to chase the ring.

I ain't over yet...   As bad as the 2 looked in foxboro that night was brutal.    They both will likely regroup and come back fighting from that tough loss.  then who knows if they get good weather Peyton might   not look so terrible the next time.  Hard to predict.  Old age gets everybody eventually .  Both welker and peyton looked 40 plus  last sunday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I am sure the game plan wasn't to allow 289 running yds, but

PM said the pats had 8-9 in coverage all nite. Bb gave up the rub, except there were times they did stop it.

and the plan was to make PM throw outside, which he probably knew PM COULDNT DO IN THE WIND

it is becoming clearer to me that Bb is bringing his 14 rookies slowly along this year, slowly getting them to speed, but more importantly they won't hit " the wall" at the end of the season and into the playoffs, 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

PM said the pats had 8-9 in coverage all nite. Bb gave up the rub, except there were times they did stop it.

and the plan was to make PM throw outside, which he probably knew PM COULDNT DO IN THE WIND

it is becoming clearer to me that Bb is bringing his 14 rookies slowly along this year, slowly getting them to speed, but more importantly they won't hit " the wall" at the end of the season and into the playoffs, 

Even if you give up the run, 280 rushing yards is inexcusable.  They need to do much better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Even if you give up the run, 280 rushing yards is inexcusable.  They need to do much better.

Agree with you there, I sort of remember when Bb was with giants vs buf in SB, he said Thurman would get 100 yds but Giants would win. I have to look at the 3rd wer to see how the pats stopped them, I know there were TOs

Soap wasn't on the field that much and I hope the new guy helps

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Any chance we can bubble wrap Amendola, Edelman, Talib, Dennard, Gronk and Vereen for the playoffs? I think it's clear having those guys out there gives us a chance, but it's also clear losing any one of them at this point is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back (we can't lose anyone from here on out).

The thing I'm surprised about is Hightower's ability to NOT play inside. A guy that big (who has played there in college) should be a Levon Kirkland for us. That's what I thought we were getting when we drafted him...an answer to what was missing from our front seven...a jack of all trades type/swiss army knife. The worst player on the field was this guy, luckily they benched him and the play from that position seemed to improve. On the flip side Collins looked decent too me at times.

Any chance we can get a defensive tackle off the street at this point? We've done it before, but then again they have all looked better than they really were playing next to Vince. But seriously, how hard can it be to find a big guy that can hold his ground for 5-6 games?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Not if it wins you the game! If it's between giving up 280 yds per game and winning or giving up less than 100 yds and losing, I'll take 280 yds every game!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Agree with you there, I sort of remember when Bb was with giants vs buf in SB, he said Thurman would get 100 yds but Giants would win. I have to look at the 3rd wer to see how the pats stopped them, I know there were TOs

Soap wasn't on the field that much and I hope the new guy helps

Soap only played 17 snaps. 

NE was in nickel and dime almost all day. 

It's basically the game plan against Denver. 

You take away the thing THEY want to do. Force them to play a game they don't normally play. Against them ... take away the timing routes across the board. Manning is a system QB who runs timing patterns. We've seen this ad nauseum throughout his career. If you shake up the timing mechanism, he just isn't as good. 

Without NE's fumbles it probably would have been a blowout in NE's favor. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Not if it wins you the game! If it's between giving up 280 yds per game and winning or giving up less than 100 yds and losing, I'll take 280 yds every game!

That is the point. 

Sure you would like to see more from your defense, even if they are in nickel against the run all day .... but Denver can run for 400 yards if it means a Patriot win. 

Sections
Shortcuts