DeOssie Poll

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: DeOssie Poll

In Response to Re: DeOssie Poll:
    [QUOTE]I just sent them a comment telling them I will listen to NONE of their programming while he remains an employee. I travel NE for a living. I have them tuned in a lot. That's over while his stupid yap can be heard there.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I sent a comment to WEEI, Comcast and the Patriots Organization about him.  I can't believe that some of the radio announcers were defending him on WEEI.  He also insulted them in his rant on youtube.  I don't understand why people don't get it.  Unfortunately, the youtube video is blocked from viewing.  I would imagine that many who don't see it as a big deal, maybe never saw the you tube video.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

I believe this link is working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wn5RljRBAQ

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

He also works for comcast sports net, and WBZ TV 4

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jallen1952-formelyJallen3531. Show jallen1952-formelyJallen3531's posts

Before I saw it I thought "what's the big deal".  Wow, why is he even commentating on the Pats if his allegiance is somewhere else.  He's been stealing money these past few years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizne. Show lizne's posts

I have not been paying much attention to football but for various reasons, I got the bug this year.  I found that you can get caught up in it but the more I listen to sports programs and watch how things unfold, I have to say that the deeper layers of the sport itself are discouraging. It's not about the losses, I am just as dissapointed as the next person, but as long as they were doing their best and fighting to the end, I am satisfied. It's easy to get attached to the players.  It's the rest of it...the insane price of tickets, the huge salaries to the players, the abusive fans that seem to be on every team, the arrogant sports radio talk show hosts and some of the media that are difficult to listen to.  And all the 'pre-game' hype.  So many sportscasters, analysts etc. disecting the minutest detail of the team's chances to win.  And the projections that more often than not are wrong. It seemed interesting and fun in the beginning of the season, but now I'm just tired of it all.  

Deossie and his support of the Giants and his disrespectful performance at the Giants pep rally, some of the players having fun the night of the superbowl.  None of my family was having any fun that night, we were all pretty sad after the end of that game. My son was actually sick to his stomach. Then when the Patriot team came back to Boston, there were actually fans waiting there to let them know they were still okay in their book and the players couldn't even be bothered to go over and talk to the fans.  Now I see the local sports media is actually defending Deossie and taking sides against the fans!  

I gotta tell ya, not so sure following sports is beneficial for the fans.  Maybe it is for the NFL, the well paid players, the sports media machine that must also earn a very good living, but for the fans?  Many of whom can't even afford to take their family to a game.   I don't know if I'm even going to be watching next season.  Anyone else ever feel this way?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

He couldn't be gone soon enough!! Mt. Hurl is right, he is a typical jock/bully who likes to bask in the non-existent rays of his own intelligence

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]I have not been paying much attention to football but for various reasons, I got the bug this year.  I found that you can get caught up in it but the more I listen to sports programs and watch how things unfold, I have to say that the deeper layers of the sport itself are discouraging. It's not about the losses, I am just as dissapointed as the next person, but as long as they were doing their best and fighting to the end, I am satisfied. It's easy to get attached to the players.  It's the rest of it...the insane price of tickets, the huge salaries to the players, the abusive fans that seem to be on every team, the arrogant sports radio talk show hosts and some of the media that are difficult to listen to.  And all the 'pre-game' hype.  So many sportscasters, analysts etc. disecting the minutest detail of the team's chances to win.  And the projections that more often than not are wrong. It seemed interesting and fun in the beginning of the season, but now I'm just tired of it all.   Deossie and his support of the Giants and his disrespectful performance at the Giants pep rally, some of the players having fun the night of the superbowl.  None of my family was having any fun that night, we were all pretty sad after the end of that game. My son was actually sick to his stomach. Then when the Patriot team came back to Boston, there were actually fans waiting there to let them know they were still okay in their book and the players couldn't even be bothered to go over and talk to the fans.  Now I see the local sports media is actually defending Deossie and taking sides against the fans!   I gotta tell ya, not so sure following sports is beneficial for the fans.  Maybe it is for the NFL, the well paid players, the sports media machine that must also earn a very good living, but for the fans?  Many of whom can't even afford to take their family to a game.   I don't know if I'm even going to be watching next season.  Anyone else ever feel this way?
    Posted by lizne[/QUOTE]
    I'm with ya lizne but I'm too addicted to quit watching the Patriots. I did however, stop watching and reading most of the media garbage. I can get all of the information and opinion I need right here.

DeOssie is a drunken fool.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizne. Show lizne's posts

Thanks for the response Digger, I was waiting to get jumped all over. (g)  Appreciate your willingness to consider my minority opinion.  I used to just watch football when my kids were visiting, because they were more interested than I was, and I think I was better off then, when I just watched the games.

Anyway, as far as Steve DeOssie goes, I don't have a history to look at a larger picture, but from the posts I've read today from fans who have, I take it his response to fans in the past has not always been well received.  I personally, am judging simply on the video of him at the pep rally and I could not help but conclude that I would prefer to see a Patriots Sports show host or guest that is more supportive and respectful of the team and the fans. And his attempt to do damage control and obscure and misdirect away from the real reason people were upset, since then, solidified my negative opinion of him.

In my travels today, I stumbled upon a website called boston sports media watch, with a website of...  bostonsportsmedia dot com.  There they allow you to vote on whether you approve or disapprove of different sports media personalities and can add comments.  I thought some Pats fans might welcome the opportunity to make their feelings known.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I visit that website almost everyday. The publisher mainly posts links to the stories worth reading, ignoring the Shaughnessy and Borges types and I usually agree with his commentary. I highly recommend that website.

I used to be a big fan of the Comcast SportsNet show "New England Tailgate" hosted by Glenn Ordway, Fred Smerlas and Steve DeOssie. I was disinterested with it this season, but now even more so.

I also recommend watching "Patriots All Access", a weekly show produced by Kraft Sports Productions. Here's the link, http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/all-access.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I believe this link is working http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wn5RljRBAQ
    Posted by fourjays30[/QUOTE]

This is similar to the other you tube video, but the other video was much more explicit about his hatred for the Patriots and their fans,  his co-workers and the city of Boston.   At least that is what I concluded when I saw the video.  I was so upset about it that I called some of my friends and we were all very upset about his comments. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DeOssie Poll : This is similar to the other you tube video, but the other video was much more explicit about his hatred for the Patriots and their fans,  his co-workers and the city of Boston.   At least that is what I concluded when I saw the video.  I was so upset about it that I called some of my friends and we were all very upset about his comments. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Glad I finally got to see a video, since the original was pulled.  This one is really bad.  And there is another, longer video that is worse?  This clown can't leave New England soon enough.  There is no defending him.  I am surprised his peers are defending him.  Dead career walking, IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

My advice: Don't tell them you're not going to listen when he's on. Tell them you're not listening to them, period.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]My advice: Don't tell them you're not going to listen when he's on. Tell them you're not listening to them, period.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Babe, I hear ya'.  I have now tuned them out until he is fired.

You know another buggin' thing about this?  Whatever your personal philosophy or politics, most of these guys on WEEI routinely make a point of espousing their conservative politics.  Half of them are self-proclaimed Libertarians.  On Monday, several of them were knocking the survivor-themed Super Bowl commercials of GM and Chrysler (Detroit), positing that the auto "bail-out" was anything but a case of survival.  I.e., these two huge employers -and all the cottage factories and shops they sub out to - should have been left to die on the vine, in their idiotic opinions.  

The truth is, those were loans to GM and Chrysler.  The federal government makes loans to individuals, businesses, states, municipalities and nations all day long.  These loans are paid ahead of schedule (or now even paid off), with interest paid to the tax payer.  The tax payers are winners in that deal, along with the factory workers, advertisers, sub-contractors, etc.  Everybody is a winner.   Even Ford won, because they sold more cars to those who thought the loans were unfair.  Right now, Honda is taking a dive, for various reasons, with one of them being the new vitality within the American auto industry - even during a weakened, slowly-improving economy.  Without the loans, and Chrysler and GM gone, Honda would have picked up more market share.  Instead, it is the reverse.  GM was 95% of the way to rolling out a whole new line of excellent products, but was going to fold just before the finish line.  The loan helped them across the line and now they are successful.  

Now, you may hate these loans.  Fine.  We all have our opinions of them, and maybe I am wrong about them and you are right.  But read on. 

My point?  These same guys knocking those loans, on the grounds that they violate their principles of social Darwinism, survival of the fittest, and personal responsibility, and having to suffer the consequences of your erroneous acts and stupidity, are now shielding and excusing DeOssie, lying to do it, and see no conflict in their doing so.  They are doing whatever they can to protect him against suffering the consequences of his actions, of taking personal responsibility, and they are enabling him to not even have to come clean and admit the true nature and tone of what he said at that event.

So their ideology boils down to:

"Personal responsibility and the law of personal consequences rule...as long as they do not rule over my friends, my family, my favored peers or myself."

Excuse me now.  I have to go vomit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I jujst pasted my previous entry to an email to Mr. Wolfe, of WEEI, titled, "Why I no longer listen to WEEI.

For the record, I was a two-to-six-hour-per-day listener.  

Now I am a 0-to-0-hour-per-day listener.

Thanks for the address, paesan59.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

[QUOTE]I jujst pasted my previous entry to an email to Mr. Wolfe, of WEEI, titled, "Why I no longer listen to WEEI. For the record, I was a two-to-six-hour-per-day listener.   Now I am a 0-to-0-hour-per-day listener. Thanks for the address, paesan59.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more and for the life of me cannot understand why they want to mix politics with sports. Their rant about the auto industry bail out was right out of the Karl Rove playbook and fixed news! How come they did not b*tch when we had to bail out the banking sector for their hero bush!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

I have to say I think people are over reacting to this. DeOssie may have lost his credibility with Patriots fans (including me to a certain extent) but I think people's atempt to make this a personal vendetta and have him let go by WEEI or to  boycott his restaurant is pretty juvenile.

Football is a sport people -its suppose to be fun - remember Vince Wilfork saying "Its only a football game"?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]I have to say I think people are over reacting to this. DeOssie may have lost his credibility with Patriots fans (including me to a certain extent) but I think people's atempt to make this a personal vendetta and have him let go by WEEI or to  boycott his restaurant is pretty juvenile. Football is a sport people -its suppose to be fun - remember Vince Wilfork saying "Its only a football game"?
    Posted by stewart7557[/QUOTE]

This is not about football.  This is about a guy trashing the place where he makes his fortune, while trashing the people that have enabled his fortune.  To paraphrase, "I don't like New England people, I don't like living amongst them, I don't respect my co-workers, it is a struggle to live and work in New England because New York is better and New Yorkers are better people.  Oh...and I don't care if they see this video of my trashing them, I respect them all that little."  

Stewart, do you realize that public statements like this damage the region socially and economically?  Do realize that a guy with his media influence trashing the region can actually cost the region hundreds of millions in lost investment capital that would be used to employ people, expand businesses and open new regional offices of national corporations?  Then there is the affect to the regional tourism industry.  

With many parts of the region hurting (RI, S.E. MA, urban CT and NH areas), and  just getting ready to get up off of the mat, the last thing we need is an idiot with a large audience undermining the recovery.

Question: Did you watch the rant?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

Hey Chris-

I did watch it and I wasn't happy about it. I don't like the fact that he dissed NE but I also am mindful that he played for the Giants and his kid Zach plays for them now. So I can understand why he has an allegiance to the team.

I agree Chris - he's a hypocrite - but - I don't think the guy should lose his job or have his restaurant vandalized or be harrassed for stating an unpopular opinion.

I really don't think this is a social statement against New England - I think its a rant about his football allegiance to the Giants greatly aided by a few beers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DeOssie Poll : This is not about football.  This is about a guy trashing the place where he makes his fortune, while trashing the people that have enabled his fortune.  To paraphrase, "I don't like New England people, I don't like living amongst them, I don't respect my co-workers, it is a struggle to live and work in New England because New York is better and New Yorkers are better people.  Oh...and I don't care if they see this video of my trashing them, I respect them all that little."   Stewart, do you realize that public statements like this damage the region socially and economically?  Do realize that a guy with his media influence trashing the region can actually cost the region hundreds of millions in lost investment capital that would be used to employ people, expand businesses and open new regional offices of national corporations?  Then there is the affect to the regional tourism industry.   With many parts of the region hurting (RI, S.E. MA, urban CT and NH areas), and  just getting ready to get up off of the mat, the last thing we need is an idiot with a large audience undermining the recovery. Question: Did you watch the rant?
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

I watched the video and honestly I didn't hear all you wrote that he said. Did he say all that? Really this guy is a known bafoon and bully - I can't stand listening to him and just switch the channel every time he is on. I don't think a moron like this will cost New England millions in revenue...most people don't even realize who this idiot is.

I'd like to see him fired/resign and leave the region, but honestly it may be more fun to watch this guy get bashed at every Pat's game he works at on Sundays. It would also be fun to watch Weei's rating dip even more - plus the calls into the show while he is on would be interesting. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Interesting article with many posts from Patriots fans.  You can draw your own conclusions.  

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7kqjbDVPUTIAZY1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1MzloazBnBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1NNRTA0MV8yMTY-/SIG=16128al44/EXP=1328930083/**http%3a//www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/02/10/root_of_the_matter_deossie_in_the_clear/%3frss_id=Boston.com%2b%252F%2bBoston%2bGlobe%2b--%2bSports%2bNews

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DeOssie Poll : I watched the video and honestly I didn't hear all you wrote that he said. Did he say all that? Really this guy is a known bafoon and bully - I can't stand listening to him and just switch the channel every time he is on. I don't think a moron like this will cost New England millions in revenue...most people don't even realize who this idiot is. I'd like to see him fired/resign and leave the region, but honestly it may be more fun to watch this guy get bashed at every Pat's game he works at on Sundays. It would also be fun to watch Weei's rating dip even more - plus the calls into the show while he is on would be interesting. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

There are a few insults to the team, his peers, but the key poison is the phrase, "I struggle...," implying, that is s&cks living and working in New England.  

Anytime you have a public figure dumping on a region, it has an economic affect.  It contributes to a cumlative ngeative narrative.  As it is, part os CT, MA, RI and NH are suffering from a negative image, from the POV of potential employers that reside outside of the region.  If you are on the board at a Fortune 500 compnay and are considering to put a large regional office or plant in Worcester, and you see, hear or read about public comments like DeOssie's, it takes a toll.  

DeOssie makes a good living here.  He is feeding at the trough of New England.  He is paid by advertisers who are paid by New England consumers.  Or he is paid by New England diners.  It's OK to say he loves NY or NYC.  I love NY and NYC.  But we don't have to trash N.E. to do it, nor should we, especially if has been as good to us as it has been to him.

I got a response on my email to WEEI.  The tone was basically, 'He explained himself and apologized...accept for the part about him saying he "struggled,", so what is the big deal with you people at Boston.com?'

Hello!  I think the part about "struggled' and all it's implications, in conjunciton with his other comments, and in the context with which he said them, is the crux of the whole thing.  It is the one, main thing for which he should apologize.  

So I don't listen to WEEI anymore.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I have to say I think people are over reacting to this. DeOssie may have lost his credibility with Patriots fans (including me to a certain extent) but I think people's atempt to make this a personal vendetta and have him let go by WEEI or to  boycott his restaurant is pretty juvenile. Football is a sport people -its suppose to be fun - remember Vince Wilfork saying "Its only a football game"?
    Posted by stewart7557[/QUOTE]

I think it's rather juvenile to so callously dismiss people taking issue with someone who casts aspersions about their home.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Having watched the video, I thought for a moment that he had fallen off the wagon.  However on learning that he didn't, it's just that much worse.  How dumb do you have to be, when you're totally sober, to basically defecate where you eat?  The man makes his living in New England and then gives that rant at a Giants rally?  Could he not have kept it quieter?  Did he have to go out of his way to insult us?  I guess he felt that he did have to do that.  What a jerk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Let's say Jay Leno decides to do a comedy tour on his vaca, and plays the Albert Hall.  He tells the London audience, "I am so glad I am back here in England.  I may live in the U.S., but England is where my heart is, ever since I first toured here.  American comics stink. I hate working with the people on my show.  They always go on about how great they think American actors and musicians are. But in my book, the British actors and musicians put them to shame.  

"You know, I really struggle in the U.S. and - in case this winds up on You Tube - I don't care what the people back home in America think.  I consider myself an honorary Brit.  I will always be a Brit.  That's why I think England will always be better than the U.S."

Can you imagine the uproar and fall-out.  Do you think Leno would lose his gig within 48 hours?  72 hours?  96 hours?

Sections
Shortcuts