1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Describe your avatar and screen name

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

My favorite fight of all time was the Marvelous one, Marvin Hagler.  Originally from Newark, NJ he moved to Brockton at age 13 I believe and fought out of Brockton with the Petronelli Bros.  Are you a big boxing fan?

I like the fights, like all sports...

You ever see that computer fight with Marciano vs Ali wozzy?

vaguely remember babe...mid-late 70's?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, something like that. Rocky was in his 50s and sparred some 70 rounds with Ali to get the footage.

Highlight version here. (1969)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKcGRREcaM

Remember seeing that when it came out. 

I was a big fan of the Brockton Bomber although I was too young to actually see him fight when he was active.  Have seen some footage of a couple of his more famous bouts.  The fight where he took the title from Jersey Joe Wolcott was a classic.

Big fan of Ali as well.  Although the Rock was arguably the best slugger ever to get in the ring I don't believe he would have been as successful in the Ali/Frazier era simply because he was a bleeder. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Avatar is me... screen name is a mix of my name and favorite #.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to kylerocks' comment:

In response to kylerocks' comment:

Who doesn't love Jugde Elihu Smails... Top Notch... Top Notch...

"Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
    and you've got the stock market beat
    but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile
    when his shorts are too tight in the seat."

Nice!  "You'll get nothing and like it" is one of my favorite quotes and I use it all the time.

That one and the other 2 I always seem to use... "Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too."

" do you stand for goodness or for badness"

Yes those are both great ones too.  Love that movie.

One of the old classics I call it part of the comic trilogy with Animal House and Stripes. My 2nd choice for an avatar was John Candy as Ox.

" my niece lacy....  She has a certain... ZEST for life...  The LAST thing we need is a lot of LOOSE TALK.....  ('I promise I won't tell anyone ')  "GOOOOOD .  Good good good ".

screenname came from Chris berman who started the whole "drinking the koolaid up in new England..."(wink, wink).  which kind of irritated me at the time because the joke is a sidehanded reference to a cult following who drank koolaid in a mass suicide(not funny).

but in a figurative way the coolade is basically belichicks doctrine that everyone ( players, media, fans)  drink in... And then talk about.

The avatar is BB talking to my favorite referee, gene steratore, during a cold game and since you can see his breath, it's " cool".   there it is as it is happening.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I remember Jonestown all too well.  What an horrendous tragedy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I like the Marciano quote when asked if he could actually beat Ali; "I'd be conceited if I said I could, but I'd be lying if I said I couldn't."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I like the Marciano quote when asked if he could actually beat Ali; "I'd be conceited if I said I could, but I'd be lying if I said I couldn't."

Was that not typical of the Rock?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I used to own a tanning salon, and I like to fish bass tournaments. The picture is a beach I stayed at in the Riviera Maya...as I love to travel to tropical destinations all over the Caribbean. So the name and the pic seem to fit my life.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

I used to own a tanning salon, and I like to fish bass tournaments. The picture is a beach I stayed at in the Riviera Maya...as I love to travel to tropical destinations all over the Caribbean. So the name and the pic seem to fit my life.....

Thought you operated a tanning salon for striped bass in the Caribbean.  My bad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Thought you operated a tanning salon for striped bass in the Caribbean.  My bad.

close!! LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Very cool!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Hibernian F.C. is my team and my avatar is outside the stadium at Easter Road.  The picture is of the Famous Five, players who are connected with the heyday of Hibernian in a past era.  (Think Cousy, Russell Sam Jones, etc. for the Celts.)  I lived at the Cables Wynd house for the first three years of my life and in Leith for eight years before we moved to the burbs of Glasgow and eventually the USA.  Ah, and "bairn" is a word from the local/regional dialect meaning "child".     

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

My favorite fight of all time was the Marvelous one, Marvin Hagler.  Originally from Newark, NJ he moved to Brockton at age 13 I believe and fought out of Brockton with the Petronelli Bros.  Are you a big boxing fan?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, something like that. Rocky was in his 50s and sparred some 70 rounds with Ali to get the footage.

I was a big fan of the Brockton Bomber although I was too young to actually see him fight when he was active.  Have seen some footage of a couple of his more famous bouts.  The fight where he took the title from Jersey Joe Wolcott was a classic.

Big fan of Ali as well.  Although the Rock was arguably the best slugger ever to get in the ring I don't believe he would have been as successful in the Ali/Frazier era simply because he was a bleeder. 

Think he was the "Brockton Blockbuster". Could be wrong on that. Joe Louis was the "Brown Bomber".

I agree the bleeding may have been his downfall against a slicer like Ali. But a concrete jaw and big punch opponent was probably the most likely combo to defeat Ali.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Huge Transformers (Not Bayformers) fan....first thing that came to mind when BDC forced me to create an account.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Think he was the "Brockton Blockbuster". Could be wrong on that. Joe Louis was the "Brown Bomber".

I agree the bleeding may have been his downfall against a slicer like Ali. But a concrete jaw and big punch opponent was probably the most likely combo to defeat Ali.

Right on both counts, Babe.  I was thinking of the Brown Bomber and the Rock's nick was the Brockton Blockbuster.  The cuts that the Rock endured are the stuff of legend.  Trying to recall which fight it was but in one he actually had his nose split up the middle; still won.  49-0 - just one he11 of a fighter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

That's weird. I always assumed you were a competetive tanner who owned a bait & tackle shop

But I was wrong

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Tyson vs Marciano in their prime, who takes it?  I say Tyson.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Sugar Ray Robinson is my choice for best 1b/1b fighter ever.  Marciano would be in the discussion for heayweights, obviously. I just think Robinson was untouchable in his era.

I think it's pretty much a unanimous decision that Sugar Ray Robinson is the GOAT!  HW I gotta go with Ali then Lewis.  Marciano would be around 5 or 6, imo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Tyson vs Marciano in their prime, who takes it?  I say Tyson.

I would say Marciano was the Tyson of his day; short, stocky and a knock out artist.

Can't really compare the different generations since steroids, legal supplements as well as nutrition play a large part in the modern athlete. If they were given the same advantages who knows how they would stack up?

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

1 fight lb for lb toe to toe give me hagler love the street fighters in a non tactical bout.

Big Hagler fan here so I would tend to agree.  As much as I didn't like Roberto Duran I would have him on that list as well, along with Tyson and Iran Barkley.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts