Describe your avatar and screen name

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: Describe your avatar and screen name

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

No mention of ken norton eh?

No, no Ken Norton on my top 10.  Not sure where I would rank him. I would have to think about that one.  He was in some great fights. 

I was just a little guy when he fought Holmes but I have seen it many times since then.  What an amazing fight!  It was sad to see Norton get destroyed by Cooney so I really enjoyed when Holmes destroyed Cooney.  Man, those were the good ol days of Boxing.  I could probably talk boxing all day long.

Norton Ali fights were excellent. Joe Frasier IMO wasnt that good. Seems Marvis followed in his footsteps.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

My screen name reflects what I do better than 98% of the world. I had no avatar for a long time. Not so long ago I added the avatar because it seemed to be that whether we were talking about the Pats or politics it felt like everyone was just short of the truth and some needed directions on how to get there. So it is all a bit self indulgent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Norton Ali fights were excellent. Joe Frasier IMO wasnt that good. Seems Marvis followed in his footsteps.

Yes, the  Norton-Ali fights were good.  However, Ali, Quarry and Bobick were really the only big fighters Norton beat.  He lost to Ali x 2, Holmes, Shavers and Foreman.  Frazier had a much better resume.  Seems like you don't give Smokin Joe nearly the credit he deserves.  Joe was a million times better fighter then his son Marvis.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

No mention of ken norton eh?

I actually was at the bout in 1970 at the Olympic Auditorium in LA when Jose Luis Garcia (188 lbs if memory serves) KOed the to-that-point undefeated Ken Norton (app 210 lbs).  Ringside seats for dirt money if you were active duty military.  Norton was never in that fight.  Garcia knocked him down in the 1st and a couple of other times in later rounds. My buddy and I thought that Garcia had Norton confused the entire fight.  As I recall, Garcia knoced him down twice in the 8th and the ref simply called it.  Either that or he couldn't come out for the 9th.

That may have been a turning point for Norton.  It was clear to me that Norton did not expect this fight to be anything but a stepping stone and Garcia (a light heavy really) had other ideas.  Kenny Norton was a highly competitive prize fighter but, in my opinion, does not belong in the same conversation as Ali, Frazier and the Rock.  That's just my opinion.

In thier first fight Norton defeated Ali and broke his jaw. I believe, as do many others, that Norton won thier third fight although the decision was given to Ali. He most certainly does belong in the same conversation as Ali, Frazier and other great boxers of his time.

Really don't wish to blow up the thread but I simply do not agree that he belongs in the same conversation as Ali and Frazier.  Norton has 7 losses, 4 by KO, 3 to the likes of Garcia, Earnie Shavers and Gerry Cooney and fought a draw with Scott LeDoux.  Overall record of 42-7-1.

No one doubts Ali's greatness.  Smokin' Joe had only 4 loses, 2 to Ali, 2 to George Foreman.

I'll grant you that the 3rd Ali fight was questionable but not that Ken Norton belongs in the conversation with Ali and Frazier. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Joe Frazier was a stud. He punished and he could take punishment. He just was not quite as good as Ali. One of them had to lose out in the overall matchup and Ali was just that bit better. So Frazier loses some cred for not being better than Ali. But he was sort of a prototypical heavy weight champ. Strong, tough, didnt stop coming. A little like Marciano in those ways.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Joe Frazier was a stud. He punished and he could take punishment. He just was not quite as good as Ali. One of them had to lose out in the overall matchup and Ali was just that bit better. So Frazier loses some cred for not being better than Ali. But he was sort of a prototypical heavy weight champ. Strong, tough, didnt stop coming. A little like Marciano in those ways.

With the best left hook I've ever seen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Really don't wish to blow up the thread but I simply do not agree that he belongs in the same conversation as Ali and Frazier.  Norton has 7 losses, 4 by KO, 3 to the likes of Garcia, Earnie Shavers and Gerry Cooney and fought a draw with Scott LeDoux.  Overall record of 42-7-1.

No one doubts Ali's greatness.  Smokin' Joe had only 4 loses, 2 to Ali, 2 to George Foreman.

I'll grant you that the 3rd Ali fight was questionable but not that Ken Norton belongs in the conversation with Ali and Frazier. 

Well not only that Frazier beat many more quality fighters then Norton did.  After just 11 pro fights Frazier fought and beat the Argentinian HW champ Oscar Bonavena in a close, tough fight.  Beat the tough George Chuvalo, tough undefeated up and comer Buster Mathis Sr., Jerry Quarry, Jimmy Ellis, Bob Foster, Ali, Joe Bugner.  Man, very impressive wins against some really tough guys.  Joe deserves to be above Norton, no doubt about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I agree with this. He was just a tough guy, no flash.  Punched it out.  i guess its the fighter vs the boxer. Norton should have won Ali     Foreman was the guy that surprised me how hard he could go down. At first he looked towering above everyone.  Lol kind of like those Olympic Cuban boxers who got clobbered in the Olympics. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

Now that I think about it....I chose Rocky as my screen name because I did a internship with the USOC in 1998 in Colorado Springs (Rocky Mountains)

Rocky Mountain High??

No....lol

And no Rusty...I meant 2008

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

Totally forgot about Liston. I put him above Foreman. 

Liston would have had a better career if he wasn't on heroin and died so young.

Gotta give shouts out to Jack Johnson (much earlier) and Floyd Patterson in the Heavywieght group, too.

Sure, an argument can be made to have Liston in top 5 and many do have him ranked high like that, but looking at who he beat compared to Frazier, he doesn't go above Frazier, imo. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Think he was the "Brockton Blockbuster". Could be wrong on that. Joe Louis was the "Brown Bomber".

I agree the bleeding may have been his downfall against a slicer like Ali. But a concrete jaw and big punch opponent was probably the most likely combo to defeat Ali.

Tyson vs Marciano in their prime, who takes it?  I say Tyson.

I would bet on Rocky. Would be a sight to behold though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Alright I apologize I'm late to the party here. I actually created wmasschilly in 2004 and forgot i had an account---grew up in western mass (obviously) and my nickname in high school was chilly ( or sometimes swilly, i could soft a few lagers back in the day) as far the avatar just my favorite scene in Blazing Saddles "Bart these are simple people, the common clay of the new West, you know......morons"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

well apparently i wasn't merely late to the party, the party was over lol---guess that makes me Mr. Irrelevant

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to wmasschilly's comment:

well apparently i wasn't merely late to the party, the party was over lol---guess that makes me Mr. Irrelevant

Better late then never is what I say.  Do you still live in western mass?  You need to post more, 149 posts in just over 4 years is either because you are a longtime lurker or don't follow Pats football a whole heck of a lot, so which is it?  However, 2004 is pretty impressive!!  What forums do you check out here on BDC?

Blazing Saddles was before my time so by the time I seen it I had heard all about it.  Funny, Funny movie.  It probably caused a bit of a stir when it first came out, lol!

Thanks for posting in here, hang around and talk some Pats football with us all!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

My screen name reflects what I do better than 98% of the world. I had no avatar for a long time. Not so long ago I added the avatar because it seemed to be that whether we were talking about the Pats or politics it felt like everyone was just short of the truth and some needed directions on how to get there. So it is all a bit self indulgent.

ur a stockbroker?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Better late then never is what I say.  Do you still live in western mass?  You need to post more, 149 posts in just over 4 years is either because you are a longtime lurker or don't follow Pats football a whole heck of a lot, so which is it?  However, 2004 is pretty impressive!!  What forums do you check out here on BDC?

Blazing Saddles was before my time so by the time I seen it I had heard all about it.  Funny, Funny movie.  It probably caused a bit of a stir when it first came out, lol!

Thanks for posting in here, hang around and talk some Pats football with us all!

Hey TFB--ya, 149 posts is pretty miniscule so I guess that would put me in the category of a "lurker" (I like that one btw)---I'm no longer in WMass, actually live in Milton now
    I'm a huge Pats fan and I'm on this board pretty much daily but my football knowlegde is no where near most of the guys on here, so I subscribe to the old adage that if you're not really sure what your talking about, best keep quiet. But I do really enjoy this board---you're pics are great so keep up the good work man!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hey TFB--ya, 149 posts is pretty miniscule so I guess that would put me in the category of a "lurker" (I like that one btw)---I'm no longer in WMass, actually live in Milton now
    I'm a huge Pats fan and I'm on this board pretty much daily but my football knowlegde is no where near most of the guys on here, so I subscribe to the old adage that if you're not really sure what your talking about, best keep quiet. But I do really enjoy this board---you're pics are great so keep up the good work man!

Thanks dude!!  Well join in when ya can, don't worry about football knowledge, just share your thoughts about the team, good or bad!!  By now you should have seen the football knowledge around here is all over the place, lol!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:

Love my Harley man

100_0580.JPG.jpg

HEY HARLEY...Hope you're doing well. Best Wishes from ur old friend STOMMPER!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MudCityManglers. Show MudCityManglers's posts

Also, my pic is for the Medical no no's that it will take to keep the Patriot players up and running. Please schedule GRONK to isit my office, I have new parts for him! Yell

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts