DeSean Jackson?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

DeSean Jackson?

The Eagles aren't likely to let him get away. But, if they do...the Patriots should look into getting him. When his mind is right, he is the most dangerous player in the game. He's the deep threat they're looking for...not to mention a fabulous kick returner. As an added bonus, he's a N.Y. Giants' killer: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1073897-2012-nfl-free-agency-8-perfect-fits-that-will-never-happen#/articles/1073897-2012-nfl-free-agency-8-perfect-fits-that-will-never-happen/page/3 

Here's an article on the status of Jackson's negotiations. He's represented by Drew Rosenhaus, who has a good working relationship with the Pats: http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagles/mc-eagles-desean-jackson-0220-20120220,0,5737040.story

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: DeSean Jackson?

Yes and a nightmare in the locker room.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

NO

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

hahaha, no. Just no.

He is going to be franchised anyway so its a moot point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

No, I don't care if he's the second coming of Rice, I can't stand that fool.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

He loses focus and his route running leaves much to be desired, I understand the temptation because he can absolutely fly, but he seems like a total headache.  If the pats are going for a nutjob, i'd rather Steve Johnson.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: DeSean Jackson?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to DeSean Jackson? : he is a pain-in-the-*** if you have to defend him, no doubt Jints ain't your competition, though, TP, surprised to hear you mention that
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Any team that cost the Pats two SBs in 4 years is a competitor. Besides, he's the best deep threat available...and perhaps the most dangerous player in the league, when his head is screwed on straight.

Still can't believe that the Giants let him beat them with that punt return on the final play of the game: http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=desean+jackson+punt+return+beats+giants 

It brought back memories of that awful Joe Pisarcik game, the so called "Miracle in the Meadowlands":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-FI28rJamY&feature=player_embedded#!  

Of course, after the "Miracle" the Giants have gone to five SBs and won four of them, since...which kind of makes games like that easy to laugh about, now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Wallace much more polished route runner...just as explosive! MOST IMPORTANTLY NOT A HEAD CASE!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

I'd have to agree with Null. If they were going to spend big on a WR I'd rather they steal Wallace from the Steelers. The kid is just as explosive, and is a lot more mentally mature. Jackson is a guy who makes spectacular plays, but he also doesn't seem to give 100% on every play. Wallace would cost them their #31 pick, but would be a proven player rather than a gamble (remember the last Jackson at WR?) on a rookie. They'd still have #27 and two in the second. I'd be leary about giving a lot of guaranteed money to DeSean, and I'm thinking the Eagles are as well. That's why he isn't signed already. IMO, if they want to spend big in FA, bring in Mario!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Wallace much more polished route runner...just as explosive! MOST IMPORTANTLY NOT A HEAD CASE!
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Unlike Wallace, the Eagles will have to use the franchise tag on Jackson to keep him. That will cost them $9.6mil....after which they may try to trade him. Why? Because they know that franchising him could lead to a hold-out, or a repeat of last year, in which Jackson's play was clearly affected by his contract issues. But, how many teams are going to be willing to pay him big money, and give up a first round draft pick? If they don't franchise him, he can walk for a compensatory third round pick. 

Wallace, on the other hand is a restricted FA. As such, the cap-strapped Steelers can't afford to franchise him. Their only option appears to place a first round pick tender on him. The other thing to consider is whether Wallace is a head case. Check out his photo: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12601/mike-wallace. The last time I saw someone with such a doo was Shawne Merriman. 'Nuff said...LOL!!!!!

The Pats have a decent shot at Wallace. But, as for Jackson, I see the Eagles franchising him...and trying to trade him outside of the NFC. To land a deep threat, it will cost them their 31st overall pick, plus money. Ask yourself this...which of the other top teams need a WR? Not the Giants, not the Packers, not the Saints, not the Falcons, not the Lions, and probably not the Ravens.

That leaves San Francisco (30th overall pick), Houston (24th overall pick), Cincinnati (21st overall pick) and Chicago (19th overall pick). The Jets are in a cap squeeze. Houston  has cap problems, and has UFAs RB Arien Foster and DE/OLB Mario Williams to worry about.

The Chicago Bears are a team to watch. They have a lot of cap room: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-breaking-down-bears-and-the-salary-cap-20120221,0,6124288.story. If they make a move for a WR, they'll likely be passing on Notre Dame WR, Michael Floyd...who would be a much cheaper alternative.

The Cincinnati Bengals could make a play for Wallace...if it only costs them their 21st overall pick...though it's doubtful that Wallace will want to play there. 

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers reportedly have $67mil. in cap space. As such, they can be a big player on Mario Williams or Arien Foster...and Jackson or Wallace. But, they own the 5th overall pick. No way that they'll part with that to get Wallace.

The 49ers have $37mil. in cap room, which certainly will make them a player in free agency. They'll likely be the Pats' (who have roughly $25mil. to play with) chief rival for Mike Wallace.   

Here's a great article, which estimates where each team is...cap wise. This gives y'all a good idea on which team will be free agency spenders: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2012/02/nfl-salary-cap-projections-for-2012-season.html  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Tex, what makes you think NE will go out and get an impact FA? I've been waiting years for them to make a move and they only seem to want cheap guys with huge upside. That or they go after past their prime guys with expiring contracts like Ocho. I think what's really going to happen is they're going to get more O and D linemen in the draft and pick up some high character vets with the E light blinking on their gas tank. This team became the Atlanta Braves in 2005 after the SB. Adalius Thomas and Rosy dissapointed and so never again?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

hes a greedy, spoiled, narcistic player. Hes everything people hate about randy moss, Minus most of the talent.

Hes a player i would never want to see on the patriots.

He doesnt give full effort, and hes nothing but headaches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

NO.  If this happened I think my head would explode.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, what makes you think NE will go out and get an impact FA? I've been waiting years for them to make a move and they only seem to want cheap guys with huge upside. That or they go after past their prime guys with expiring contracts like Ocho. I think what's really going to happen is they're going to get more O and D linemen in the draft and pick up some high character vets with the E light blinking on their gas tank. This team became the Atlanta Braves in 2005 after the SB. Adalius Thomas and Rosy dissapointed and so never again?
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

Stop it!

In 2005, the Pats weren't very good.

In 2006, they over achieved. They were fortunate to beat the Chargers. Then, the refs robbed them in Indy. Otherwise, they would have won the SB that year.

In 2007, after experiencing big-time WR problems the year before, they  went out and got Welker, Moss, Donte' Stallworth, and Kelly...to go with Jabar Gaffney. The results were devastating. Only a grade "A" performance by the Giants and a couple of miracle plays stopped them from going 19-0 that year.

In 2008, you had the Brady injury...and the team still went 11-5. 

In 2009, you had the Welker injury at the end of the year, which severely hampered their offense. But, they weren't very good in 2009, as BB repeatedly frustratingly stated in his 2009 documentary...and were beaten by a better Baltimore team.

In 2010, they over-achieved. In the Jets loss, they were hampered by a lack of a deep threat, just as they were this year.

In 2011, again, they over-achieved. And again, the same problem reared it's ugly head in the SB, with Rob Gronkowski able to play nowhere near 100%.

I see BB pulling a 2007 this off-season. He's not going to let the lack of a deep threat go unanswered. He going to do something big to fix a problem that has likely cost him championships two years in a row.

Hopefully, after two years of trying to patch the problem with aging, fading veterans (an old Randy Moss in 2010, Ochostinko, and, lest we forget, Joey Galloway in 2009), he won't try to solve the problem by bringing in relics like Reggie Wayne. He should look at Mike Wallace, one of the Jacksons (Vincent or, preferably DeSean).

Pierre Garcon and Brandon Lloyd are others who can help...but not really deep threats like Wallace and the Jacksons. Another name to keep an eye on is Miami receiver Devone Bess. For some reason, he had a terrible year in 2011, after the 'Fins paid him some big money. If he's released, don't be surprised if BB brings him in for a look: http://finnation.com/tag/davone-bess/   

Bess has quite a story: http://www.davonebess.com/story/         

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Don't think Jackson fits the "Patriot Way".

But don't the Eagles have Salary Cap issues?  They've got 21 Million tied up in two CB's and 14 Million tied up in Vick.  Wow.

I've got a friend who is a life long Eagle Fan and he is not a happy camper.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Don't think Jackson fits the "Patriot Way". But don't the Eagles have Salary Cap issues?  They've got 21 Million tied up in two CB's and 14 Million tied up in Vick.  Wow. I've got a friend who is a life long Eagle Fan and he is not a happy camper. http://www.eaglescap.com/next.html
    Posted by NCPatsFan1971[/QUOTE]

They said the same things about Corey Dillon and Randy Moss. Put yourself in DeSean Jackson's shoes. The guy has grossly out-performed his contract: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11283/desean-jackson

He's a 5'10", 175 lb. WR, playing amongst much bigger LBs and safeties, who would like nothing better than to take his head off. What would have happened to him if he blew out a knee, or had concussion issues last year? Do you think that the Eagles would be lining up to pay him huge dollars? He's smart enough to know that, at his size, he's playing on borrowed time.

I'm not sure that he's a bad guy. It's completely understandable to me that he was distracted last year by his contract issues...and played a little gingerly with that in mind.

Furthermore, he watched as Eagles threw all kinds of money around to sign every FA under the sun last off-season...who had done nothing previously for the club. That had to be aggravating for him to see.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DeSean Jackson? : He's a 5'10", 175 lb. WR who drops balls at an alarmingly high rate, is afraid to take a hit and relies on his elite speed to make up for his lazy route running.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Fixed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DeSean Jackson? : Fixed
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

I'd appreciate if, in the future, you don't again form an opinion and attribute it to me. Thank you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DeSean Jackson? :      I'd appreciate if, in the future, you don't again form an opinion and attribute it to me. Thank you.

Um what I did isn't unheard of on discussion forums.  Altering a quote and then saying fixed.  Sorry if that really offends you, but if someone misattributes it to you then they aren't reading very carefully.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DeSean Jackson? :      Stop it!      In 2005, the Pats weren't very good.      In 2006, they over achieved. They were fortunate to beat the Chargers. Then, the refs robbed them in Indy. Otherwise, they would have won the SB that year.      In 2007, after experiencing big-time WR problems the year before, they  went out and got Welker, Moss, Donte' Stallworth, and Kelly...to go with Jabar Gaffney. The results were devastating. Only a grade "A" performance by the Giants and a couple of miracle plays stopped them from going 19-0 that year.      In 2008, you had the Brady injury...and the team still went 11-5.       In 2009, you had the Welker injury at the end of the year, which severely hampered their offense. But, they weren't very good in 2009, as BB repeatedly frustratingly stated in his 2009 documentary...and were beaten by a better Baltimore team.      In 2010, they over-achieved. In the Jets loss, they were hampered by a lack of a deep threat, just as they were this year.      In 2011, again, they over-achieved. And again, the same problem reared it's ugly head in the SB, with Rob Gronkowski able to play nowhere near 100%.      I see BB pulling a 2007 this off-season. He's not going to let the lack of a deep threat go unanswered. He going to do something big to fix a problem that has likely cost him championships two years in a row.      Hopefully, after two years of trying to patch the problem with aging, fading veterans (an old Randy Moss in 2010, Ochostinko, and, lest we forget, Joey Galloway in 2009), he won't try to solve the problem by bringing in relics like Reggie Wayne. He should look at Mike Wallace, one of the Jacksons (Vincent or, preferably DeSean).      Pierre Garcon and Brandon Lloyd are others who can help...but not really deep threats like Wallace and the Jacksons. Another name to keep an eye on is Miami receiver Devone Bess. For some reason, he had a terrible year in 2011, after the 'Fins paid him some big money. If he's released, don't be surprised if BB brings him in for a look: http://finnation.com/tag/davone-bess/          Bess has quite a story: http://www.davonebess.com/story/          
    I was saying since the 2005 SB not the team after. Dante Stallworth and Kelly were nothing great. Dante was Galloway fast for sure and dissapeared in games just as fast. Anyone could have had Randy Moss in 2007 but most teams thought he was already over the hill and a whiner so didn't try. Wes Welker wasn't worth anything before Brady so he wasn't an impact stud they brought in with huge expectations. Just like you said BB tried to patch the problem with fading JAGs and after going to the SB this year with that philosophy he's not going to change. Reggie Wayne is still in his prime too much but Marvin Harrison is probably a guy BB loved and will look at. I could be wrong and he'll bring in a guy like Wallace but he's had lots of chances to do that in the past and didn't. Honestly if Wallace does come here than he's either hurt, lost some steps, bad route runner, something..

I think its far more likely that BB will trade down in the draft with one first rounder for a 2nd and 3rd and then trade the other 1st rounder for a third this year and a first next year. With those picks he will get some O and D linemen. After the FA feeding frenzy is over he'll go after whatever the best WR left is. Remember, they're going to re-sign Welker and between Brady, Wilfork and Welker they'll have tied up a 1/3 of the team's cap. Also, there are a lot of really old FAs available this year who played their last decent games last year for contracts a la Willie Mac in 2006. Why do I think this way? Because until this team doesn't reach the playoffs nothing will change. This year's team would have been one of the weakest ever to win a SB and definately the worst defensively ever. But they did reach the SB so if you're BB you're thinking I'm the smartest guy in the world and I'm not changing anything. This was a lucky team that got to play a lot of second string QBs this year and teams in slumps. If they continue business as usual I don't think they'll have the same success this year because they over-achieved. BBs early success with this team was as much about the high draft pick players he inherited as much as it was about his ability to find value. Now there's no high draft pick players anymore and value doesn't work by itself. And can someone stop Brady from throwing picks in the playoffs? He single-handedly kills this team every year now with his obligatory long bomb INTs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DeSean Jackson? : I was saying since the 2005 SB not the team after. Dante Stallworth and Kelly were nothing great. Dante was Galloway fast for sure and dissapeared in games just as fast. Anyone could have had Randy Moss in 2007 but most teams thought he was already over the hill and a whiner so didn't try. Wes Welker wasn't worth anything before Brady so he wasn't an impact stud they brought in with huge expectations. Just like you said BB tried to patch the problem with fading JAGs and after going to the SB this year with that philosophy he's not going to change. Reggie Wayne is still in his prime too much but Marvin Harrison is probably a guy BB loved and will look at. I could be wrong and he'll bring in a guy like Wallace but he's had lots of chances to do that in the past and didn't. Honestly if Wallace does come here than he's either hurt, lost some steps, bad route runner, something.. I think its far more likely that BB will trade down in the draft with one first rounder for a 2nd and 3rd and then trade the other 1st rounder for a third this year and a first next year. With those picks he will get some O and D linemen. After the FA feeding frenzy is over he'll go after whatever the best WR left is. Remember, they're going to re-sign Welker and between Brady, Wilfork and Welker they'll have tied up a 1/3 of the team's cap. Also, there are a lot of really old FAs available this year who played their last decent games last year for contracts a la Willie Mac in 2006. Why do I think this way? Because until this team doesn't reach the playoffs nothing will change. This year's team would have been one of the weakest ever to win a SB and definately the worst defensively ever. But they did reach the SB so if you're BB you're thinking I'm the smartest guy in the world and I'm not changing anything. This was a lucky team that got to play a lot of second string QBs this year and teams in slumps. If they continue business as usual I don't think they'll have the same success this year because they over-achieved. BBs early success with this team was as much about the high draft pick players he inherited as much as it was about his ability to find value. Now there's no high draft pick players anymore and value doesn't work by itself. And can someone stop Brady from throwing picks in the playoffs? He single-handedly kills this team every year now with his obligatory long bomb INTs.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree. After the 2006 season in which the Pats were robbed by the refs in Indy in the AFC title game, BB shook things up, and brought in Welker, Moss, Stallworth and Kelly Washington. He did this because the Pats had a major weakness at WR. The same is true this year. 

You make it sound like Welker was some stiff that the Pats took a flyer on. They gave up a 2nd round pick for him, because they saw his potential...and, they were right. BB really values second rounders...so that was a big move for him. Most were excited over the Moss acquisition, and it certainly paid dividends. But, Randy was 31 when the Pats got him, not 33 going on 34 in November, as a Reggie Wayne will be.

Stallworth was another guy with speed who could stretch the field...and was signed to a one year deal. Kelly Washington was a 3rd round pick by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2003. But, injury problems limited him, and he never developed as a WR. But, he was a very good performer on special teams for the Patriots.  

That's a bunch of moves...all in one year...to address a weakness. He'll do something this year, because the weakness has been a main contributor in failing to win championships over the past two years. The Pats must find a player who will force defenses out of the 8 in the box mode against the Pats...and play them honestly. Mike Wallace could be that guy.

Why do you think that Wallace is damaged goods? The Steelers are currently falling all over themselves, trying to scrape up enough cap space to keep him. They realize how valuable he is to them. It's not just his stats...it's the threat that he poses on every play. It forces defenses to play honest, by playing their safeties deep. When this happens, it makes it easier to run the ball, and frees up space for others on short and intermediate routes.  

I don't see BB trying to remedy the WR through the draft. He's failed miserably whenever he has tried...other than in 2007. Here's a summary:

1.) 2003-Bethel Johnson: 45th overall pick was a very good kick-off returner for a couple of years, but failed as a receiver;

2.) 2004-P.K. Sam: 164th overall pick never made it;

3.) 2006-Chad Jackson: 36th overall pick that BB obtained through a rare trade-up (sent the 52nd and 75th overall picks to GB for the 36th choice). BUST;

4.) *2007-traded 2nd, 4th, and 7th rounders for veterans Wes Welker and Randy Moss;

5.) 2009-Brandon Tate was taken at #83 overall, over Mike Wallace, who was taken one pick thereafter. Julian Edelman was taken at #232 overall;

6.) 2010- The forgettable Taylor Price was taken with the 90th overall pick.

So, as you can see, the only success that BB has had in strengthening the WR position through the draft, since 2003, has been by acquiring veterans with draft picks. Hard to believe that the Pats have had so little success in this area. The Chad Jackson miss in 2006 really hurt.

Sections
Shortcuts