Develin being worked at TE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

Develin being worked at TE

And during minicamp last week, it looked like Develin was pushing his way up the depth chart as Brady threw to him more than he did Hoomanawanui.

With the uncertainty surrounding Rob Gronkowski, Develin could be in the mix at tight end come training camp. His development could be a reason why the Patriots haven’t added any other veterans to the tight end group this offseason.

I don't know enough about him to have an informed opinion but I don't think he is fast enough to play tight end. Anyone disagree?

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20140623-ex-brown-star-develin-may-have-new-role-with-patriots.ece

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Develin being worked at TE

I dont think he can duplicate what A.H. or R.G. did but in a battle between he and Hooman, its not hard to believe because hooman is nothing special and is hardly used on the field even when he was the lone tight end. What I noticed is that although not fleet of foot, he makes up for it with effort and crisp routes. IF he is on the field, he is gonna be the last guy the D is worried about so I could see him having an impact if needed for 2 to 3 games but if he was featured and the D payed attention he isnt gonna do much. Now, if you have him in there w/Gronk, then he can take advantage of loose coverage and catch a few passes in the flat but to me thats still him being a FB, just lining up on the line. He is not the guy to beat a backer down the seams but he can leak out in the flat for a 1st down, get you 7-8 yards and likely run over a DB. Its likely insurance rather than a change in his role.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont think he can duplicate what A.H. or R.G. did but in a battle between he and Hooman, its not hard to believe because hooman is nothing special and is hardly used on the field even when he was the lone tight end. What I noticed is that although not fleet of foot, he makes up for it with effort and crisp routes. IF he is on the field, he is gonna be the last guy the D is worried about so I could see him having an impact if needed for 2 to 3 games but if he was featured and the D payed attention he isnt gonna do much. Now, if you have him in there w/Gronk, then he can take advantage of loose coverage and catch a few passes in the flat but to me thats still him being a FB, just lining up on the line. He is not the guy to beat a backer down the seams but he can leak out in the flat for a 1st down, get you 7-8 yards and likely run over a DB. Its likely insurance rather than a change in his role.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

[/QUOTE]

Devlin is a nice 53rd player on the team that will make a surprise half dozen catches per season, get a yard or two and throw a key block...I think of him more as an emergency TE, not a TE...on a team that is very deep, the TE position needs further upgrading, aven if at the expense of Devlin.

Blocking: Hooman>Devlin

Reciever: Hooman>Devlin

ST: Hooman>Devlin

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to stewart7557's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And during minicamp last week, it looked like Develin was pushing his way up the depth chart as Brady threw to him more than he did Hoomanawanui.

With the uncertainty surrounding Rob Gronkowski, Develin could be in the mix at tight end come training camp. His development could be a reason why the Patriots haven’t added any other veterans to the tight end group this offseason.

I don't know enough about him to have an informed opinion but I don't think he is fast enough to play tight end. Anyone disagree?

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20140623-ex-brown-star-develin-may-have-new-role-with-patriots.ece" rel="nofollow">http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20140623-ex-brown-star-develin-may-have-new-role-with-patriots.ece

[/QUOTE]

???? Uncertainty surrounding Gronkowski?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

In response to oklahomapatriot's comment:

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20140623-ex-brown-star-develin-may-have-new-role-with-patriots.ece

[/QUOTE]

???? Uncertainty surrounding Gronkowski?

[/QUOTE]

Most likely related to whether he will return 100% back to his old form prior to the injury. Also could be Gronk starts the season on PUP if he's held back by his agent/father or doctors. There are certainly some questions at this point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If it's come to this I mean really how the heck did it come to this? I know McDaniels doesn't like to use heavy TE heavy formations but really Develin as an option? Really we are that thin at a position everyone knew was going to be thin back last November when Gronk went down.... Not sure how they didn't even try to address it this offseason. I know in FA there wasn't great options but certainly better options than Hooman out there which didn't cost a ton to get either.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

If it's come to this I mean really how the heck did it come to this? I know McDaniels doesn't like to use heavy TE heavy formations but really Develin as an option? Really we are that thin at a position everyone knew was going to be thin back last November when Gronk went down.... Not sure how they didn't even try to address it this offseason. I know in FA there wasn't great options but certainly better options than Hooman out there which didn't cost a ton to get either.

It's crazy, it really is!  Actually it's.........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

We're under the cap by a bundle. Dustin Keller has talent......Hey, I have an idea!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If healthy, of course bring Keller in. But, since they haven't yet and are working Develin out there, makes me wonder if they think he's healthy yet. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]

If healthy, of course bring Keller in. But, since they haven't yet and are working Develin out there, makes me wonder if they think he's healthy yet. 

[/QUOTE]

That thought had crossed my mind. Nobody else has signed Keller either which means his price is too high or he's hurt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

well, we knew the Pats were weak at TE going into this season. Maybe he's just working on his hands in general....and not really as a TE.  I guess he'll be taking his horse collar off....lol

I can see him as a blocker from that position

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The kid was an Ivy League DE four years ago, he's still learning the game. I wouldn't doubt him.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEFjNIHRgis

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I suspect it's just to give him some position versatility.  FBs frequently can play TE in a pinch.  The basics of the roles are the same.  Block and maybe catch a few passes.  FBs need to think a bit more like RBs (they need to find the right hole), while TEs need to think a bit more like O linemen  and WRs.  FBs also tend to be built more like RBs (shorter and more compact) while TEs tend to be taller and rangier.  But still, the positions blend into each other and a FB can often fill in for a TE if needed. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I heard Arrington has been doing part time work as a Fire Hydrant. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

The guy's got good size (listed 6'3", 255), they may need him in a crunch, chance for position flexibility and this is a chance to get him snaps there.  The harm in trying him out at the position actually escapes me.  Is the position set?  Of course not.  Will Develin make a serviceable TE?  Never know until they try him. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The guy's got good size (listed 6'3", 255), they may need him in a crunch, chance for position flexibility and this is a chance to get him snaps there.  The harm in trying him out at the position actually escapes me.  Is the position set?  Of course not.  Will Develin make a serviceable TE?  Never know until they try him. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Try him out sure, but when was the last time we were so swallow at TE we needed to try out a back 1/3rd of the roster FB to play TE? It feels like when we had to try Arrington out as a DE because we didn't have any pass rushers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard Arrington has been doing part time work as a Fire Hydrant. 

[/QUOTE]

lol!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

PE, I'm not sure that anyone thinks we're fat (phat if you prefer) at TE and I think your Arrington analogy is a bit on the extreme side.  I'll become concerned when the regular season is about to begin and the Pats haven't addressed the issue.  There's plenty of time for that, particularly when the rest of the league begins to make some roster cuts.  Until then, I see absolutely zero point in wringing our hands over the matter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The guy made had a nice catch last year against someone (can't remember...maybe Miami) and he had a totally beastly run against the Texans, but if he is "working as a tight end" we are in trouble at tight end. Truth is once Hern went to jail and gronk proved to be an injury waiting to happen, this offense was no longer the two tight end offense. I imagine the offense we see next year will be as far away from the one that featured Gronk and Hern as you can get.

I would look for more passing to the backs this year than in the past few year - guys like Vareen and White should be a vital part of our passing attack. I'm hoping the screens and passes underneath to these two will open up the middle and add a dimension that we have missed since Faulk left.

I'm looking forward to watching the development of Boyce, because in my opinion people will be shocked at just how much ability this guy has. If we could ever get Gronk and Dobson healthy we would have the redzone size we were missing toward the end of last year and into the playoffs (which killed us).

As far as the backs go, I'm not thrilled with Ridley as my lead runner, but I think others will get a shot. White could surprise, and of course we will have our usual stable of undrafted free agent runners that fell through the cracks for one reason or another.

Honestly I think the strength of the team might be the defense for once, and I would love that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

PE, I'm not sure that anyone thinks we're fat (phat if you prefer) at TE and I think your Arrington analogy is a bit on the extreme side.  I'll become concerned when the regular season is about to begin and the Pats haven't addressed the issue.  There's plenty of time for that, particularly when the rest of the league begins to make some roster cuts.  Until then, I see absolutely zero point in wringing our hands over the matter.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Just out of curiosity what type of TE do you think will become available at the 53 man roster cut down? Do you honestly envision one better than Hooman becoming available? Whenever there is a weak position going into camp (DT last year for example) we hear, wait until cut down they will pick someone up and the players they pick up never work out. For the most part you don't get good players this time of year. It's rare a hidden gem becomes available because most teams don't need to cut cap space and are themselves trying to put the best team together as possible, so they aren't going to let go of anyone good. You are more amp to find a Shaun Ellis than you are a Danny Woodhead. The silliest notion on these boards is it was the Pats plan to pick someone up at the 53 man roster all along. If true that's poor management at best planning on someone else to release a player who will perform for you at a position you need, but I give more credit than that to the FO in that they don't plan on anyone being there and if someone should happen to be there great but it's not something you should count on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

What kind of TE do I see them picking up?  A serviceable one.  A Mulligan type would be just fine with me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Just out of curiosity what type of TE do you think will become available at the 53 man roster cut down? Do you honestly envision one better than Hooman becoming available? Whenever there is a weak position going into camp (DT last year for example) we hear, wait until cut down they will pick someone up and the players they pick up never work out. For the most part you don't get good players this time of year. It's rare a hidden gem becomes available because most teams don't need to cut cap space and are themselves trying to put the best team together as possible, so they aren't going to let go of anyone good. You are more amp to find a Shaun Ellis than you are a Danny Woodhead. The silliest notion on these boards is it was the Pats plan to pick someone up at the 53 man roster all along. If true that's poor management at best planning on someone else to release a player who will perform for you at a position you need, but I give more credit than that to the FO in that they don't plan on anyone being there and if someone should happen to be there great but it's not something you should count on.

[/QUOTE]

Every year you go into camp with a weak positional group and know you'll have to use a free agent there, that's not bad planning as much as a simple reality of the NFL.  No team in the NFL is that deep, not for long, it rarely happens and they tend to win Super Bowls.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am not down on Hooman, I simply prefer him as the #3...Gronk, Keller and Hooman would be pretty good IMO...sure, if Devlin is on the team, why not see if he can be a #4, no harm in that.

But the "what if" scenario of starting the season with Hooman as the #1 and Devlin the #2 means the Pats offense just became much more predictable. Allows the defense to double Edelman and offer help on DA. Not sure if Dobson/Boyce warrant S help anyways, but not having a threat at TE drastically cuts down on what this offense can do on certain match ups

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Every year you go into camp with a weak positional group and know you'll have to use a free agent there, that's not bad planning as much as a simple reality of the NFL.  No team in the NFL is that deep, not for long, it rarely happens and they tend to win Super Bowls.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Every year we go into camp where you only starter is a question mark and the backup (who might start the year) is a #3 on most teams and pretty much no one else behind them? Please point out those positions every year. There are always positions which are weaker on the depth side and maybe a player comes around to fill out the backside of the depth chart or as an occasional rotational player but please point out when we had a position this weak going into the offseason that it wasn't addressed prior to camp

Sections
Shortcuts