Develin being worked at TE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Develin being worked at TE

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What kind of TE do I see them picking up?  A serviceable one.  A Mulligan type would be just fine with me.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

So adding a player like Mulligan who averages 3 catches a season over 5 years makes you not concerned but not having a Mulligan type does?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont think he can duplicate what A.H. or R.G. did but in a battle between he and Hooman, its not hard to believe because hooman is nothing special and is hardly used on the field even when he was the lone tight end. What I noticed is that although not fleet of foot, he makes up for it with effort and crisp routes. IF he is on the field, he is gonna be the last guy the D is worried about so I could see him having an impact if needed for 2 to 3 games but if he was featured and the D payed attention he isnt gonna do much. Now, if you have him in there w/Gronk, then he can take advantage of loose coverage and catch a few passes in the flat but to me thats still him being a FB, just lining up on the line. He is not the guy to beat a backer down the seams but he can leak out in the flat for a 1st down, get you 7-8 yards and likely run over a DB. Its likely insurance rather than a change in his role.

"A lot of bookies are probably mad at us right now, but we don't give a damn, ... We're the champs!!"

Ty Law after his team defeated the Rams in SB 36.

[/QUOTE]

Devlin is a nice 53rd player on the team that will make a surprise half dozen catches per season, get a yard or two and throw a key block...I think of him more as an emergency TE, not a TE...on a team that is very deep, the TE position needs further upgrading, aven if at the expense of Devlin.

Blocking: Hooman>Devlin

Reciever: Hooman>Devlin

ST: Hooman>Devlin

[/QUOTE]

We are in agreement about his role. I think he is more important though because he can change the game as a lead FB where as Ive never seen Hooman throw a devastating block. Neither are special but I think Develin is clearly the best FB where as Hooman is way behind Gronk in talent. I dont know how to qauntify who is better on special teams but would like to know how you came to that conclusion.

In any even, its position flexibility and Im fine with Dev as the FB, and he will need to fill in at TE at times because for us to keep a FB is rare before Josh came back and he needs to have a defined role to stick. I dont think either would be locks if there was adequate competition for their spots but there is not. In closing, we can agree that in terms or running with ball Devlin>Hooman as evidence by his bruising 5 yard TD run last year where he broke a lot of tackles. I like Develin better after the catch as well. If Hooman is an asset, they sure dont look for him or play him much. I am concerned about the lack of a true backup to Gronk at this stage.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

I am not down on Hooman, I simply prefer him as the #3...Gronk, Keller and Hooman would be pretty good IMO...sure, if Devlin is on the team, why not see if he can be a #4, no harm in that.

But the "what if" scenario of starting the season with Hooman as the #1 and Devlin the #2 means the Pats offense just became much more predictable. Allows the defense to double Edelman and offer help on DA. Not sure if Dobson/Boyce warrant S help anyways, but not having a threat at TE drastically cuts down on what this offense can do on certain match ups

[/QUOTE]

Have you heard anything lately on the Keller front? Unless he committed to the Pats verbally, one had to wonder why he is sitting. Upon thinking this through a little further, Im convinced no other tight end is coming and this position flexibility is because the logjam at wideout and BB plans on keeping an extra WR and maybe only keeping 2 tight ends on the active roster so Develin has to be an emergency tight end. Only way Keller comes is if Hooman is released and Im pretty sure they paid him decent money and he is healthy so idk....I see us staying pat( no pun intended)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I am not down on Hooman, I simply prefer him as the #3...Gronk, Keller and Hooman would be pretty good IMO...sure, if Devlin is on the team, why not see if he can be a #4, no harm in that.

But the "what if" scenario of starting the season with Hooman as the #1 and Devlin the #2 means the Pats offense just became much more predictable. Allows the defense to double Edelman and offer help on DA. Not sure if Dobson/Boyce warrant S help anyways, but not having a threat at TE drastically cuts down on what this offense can do on certain match ups

[/QUOTE]

Have you heard anything lately on the Keller front? Unless he committed to the Pats verbally, one had to wonder why he is sitting. Upon thinking this through a little further, Im convinced no other tight end is coming and this position flexibility is because the logjam at wideout and BB plans on keeping an extra WR and maybe only keeping 2 tight ends on the active roster so Develin has to be an emergency tight end. Only way Keller comes is if Hooman is released and Im pretty sure they paid him decent money and he is healthy so idk....I see us staying pat( no pun intended)

[/QUOTE]

I do understand that Keller did give a verbal. If he can pass the physical ( again I am told he will) he will be here

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

What kind of TE do I see them picking up?  A serviceable one.  A Mulligan type would be just fine with me.

[object HTMLDivElement]

So adding a player like Mulligan who averages 3 catches a season over 5 years makes you not concerned but not having a Mulligan type does?

[/QUOTE]

OK, clearly we see this very differently.  You obviously see this as a significant problem which needed to be addressed yesterday otherwise it is a significant team weakness.  I say that because I can think of no other reason for the mountain that is emerging from the what I see as a mole hill. 

Gronk will be back.  Hooman is serviceable.  A blocking tight end like a Mulligan who can make an occasional catch is just fine with me, yes.  Will that equate to a significant threat at the TE position if Gronk goes down?  Of course not but I see the team having enough offense from other sources.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do understand that Keller did give a verbal. If he can pass the physical ( again I am told he will) he will be here

[/QUOTE]

Ok thx. Just have to wait and see what happens at camp. I assume they dont want to commit money to him until they need to (Kelly most likely wasnt gonna take part in minicamps) and his future depends on if he passes the Dreaded T.C. Run

I could also see Gronk on the active roster while Keller is put on P.U.P. as his injury seemed a tad more devastating than Gronks

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

OK, clearly we see this very differently.  You obviously see this as a significant problem which needed to be addressed yesterday otherwise it is a significant team weakness.  I say that because I can think of no other reason for the mountain that is emerging from the what I see as a mole hill. 

Gronk will be back.  Hooman is serviceable.  A blocking tight end like a Mulligan who can make an occasional catch is just fine with me, yes.  Will that equate to a significant threat at the TE position if Gronk goes down?  Of course not but I see the team having enough offense from other sources.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Then why would you be concerned if nothing is done since we already have Mulligan? That's where my confusion lies with your statements.

As for you think it's a mole hill, ok so you don't see it as an issue at all. All I know is with Gronk a top 5 RZ team and scoring increased by almost a TD a game. Without Gronk this team was an average O (ppg) and a bottom 1/3rd RZ team (actually it ranks as one of the worst in BB's tenure here). To me that signifies a significant issue since we have trouble scoring in the post season and Gronk has yet to stay healthy in the post season.

So to you it's a mountain out of a mole hill, from my perspective you are trying to make a stream out of a river.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Then why would you be concerned if nothing is done since we already have Mulligan? That's where my confusion lies with your statements.

As for you think it's a mole hill, ok so you don't see it as an issue at all. All I know is with Gronk a top 5 RZ team and scoring increased by almost a TD a game. Without Gronk this team was an average O (ppg) and a bottom 1/3rd RZ team (actually it ranks as one of the worst in BB's tenure here). To me that signifies a significant issue since we have trouble scoring in the post season and Gronk has yet to stay healthy in the post season.

So to you it's a mountain out of a mole hill, from my perspective you are trying to make a stream out of a river.

[/QUOTE]

Let me help you with your confusion, PE.  Mulligan signed a one year deal with the Bears on April 8.  Does that help?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard Arrington has been doing part time work as a Fire Hydrant. 

[/QUOTE]

tcal is proof that true talent doesn't need camp to round into regular season form.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Let me help you with your confusion, PE.  Mulligan signed a one year deal with the Bears on April 8.  Does that help?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That does, I thought he was still on the team honestly. But really a JAG TE is enough to cause you concern or not concern but an O without Gronk having a better replacement doesn't? To me that's making a mountain out of a mole hill, concerning yourself with the #3 TE when we might not have a real start to start the season and history says might not have one to end the season either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

PE, seriously, I'm not concerned.  I believe that the situation will be addressed prior to the start of the season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Sans Gronk PE is 1000% correct

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

So I guess I should start wringing my hands.  Somehow, however, I just can't bring myself to that level of concern, hopeless homer that I am.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

So I guess I should start wringing my hands.  Somehow, however, I just can't bring myself to that level of concern, hopeless homer that I am.

[/QUOTE]

Make another roster projection. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[/QUOTE]

If that's true it's music to my ears. This position was the one of the few things I was worried about.

I hope you're right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard Arrington has been doing part time work as a Fire Hydrant. 

[/QUOTE]

lmao...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

The guy's got good size (listed 6'3", 255), they may need him in a crunch, chance for position flexibility and this is a chance to get him snaps there.  The harm in trying him out at the position actually escapes me.  Is the position set?  Of course not.  Will Develin make a serviceable TE?  Never know until they try him. 

[/QUOTE]

if bb can convert a qb into a decent wr.....like u said, why not?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

It is not too late to invest in a real tight end. 

Devlin isn't the guy. 

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now, you're finally getting it. You must wring your hands (or pace with your hands behind your back, Churchill style) basically all year, because clearly BB has screwed everything up again and they'll never be competitive with the situation at (pick one) WR/TE/LB/DL/OL/RB/long snapper.

The offense was so awful last year they only outscored 30 of 32 teams (and trailed the 31st by one point). I expect equal ineptitude this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

If we go into the season with Hoomanawanui as our #1 TE and Develin as #2, expect a lot of three and four receiver sets and more two-back, no TE sets.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now, you're finally getting it. You must wring your hands (or pace with your hands behind your back, Churchill style) basically all year, because clearly BB has screwed everything up again and they'll never be competitive with the situation at (pick one) WR/TE/LB/DL/OL/RB/long snapper.

The offense was so awful last year they only outscored 30 of 32 teams (and trailed the 31st by one point). I expect equal ineptitude this year.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Why is it people who have nothing to add to a discussion will resort to extremes in a poor attempt to ridicule those who are on one side of the discussion? So you have zero concerns over the TE core?

Why is it worrying about a position that had a clear negative effect on the offense last season and did not improve at all from last year is suddenly over reacting that going to an extreme like that is warranted?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Why is it people who have nothing to add to a discussion will resort to extremes in a poor attempt to ridicule those who are on one side of the discussion? So you have zero concerns over the TE core?

Why is it worrying about a position that had a clear negative effect on the offense last season and did not improve at all from last year is suddenly over reacting that going to an extreme like that is warranted?

[/QUOTE]

What's "extreme" about this? It's a joke. ATJ cracked wise and I piled on. It's not a personal attack. 

I have zero problem discussing things like tight end depth, that's kind of the point of this here site.

But personally, I don't worry about an NFL team. I hope they win, I watch all the games, read about them, chat/argue about them here. But, I still have the same bills to pay whether they win or lose, and whether Hooman or Develin catches more passes.  Bottom line for me is I have faith in BB, because year after year they win. Some people here clearly think he's a buffoon, or they know better.  Not me.

I find it less stressful to not get overly concerned about some of this stuff. I trust they'll figure it out.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What's "extreme" about this? It's a joke. ATJ cracked wise and I piled on. It's not a personal attack. 

I have zero problem discussing things like tight end depth, that's kind of the point of this here site.

But personally, I don't worry about an NFL team. I hope they win, I watch all the games, read about them, chat/argue about them here. But, I still have the same bills to pay whether they win or lose, and whether Hooman or Develin catches more passes.  Bottom line for me is I have faith in BB, because year after year they win. Some people here clearly think he's a buffoon, or they know better.  Not me.

I find it less stressful to not get overly concerned about some of this stuff. I trust they'll figure it out.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm . . . my bills go up when they win.  Those playoff tickets are darn expensive 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

The extreme is the over the top sarcasm and piling on. To me that's not a discussion and something I've seen you get on too.

I don't let it stress me out. Trust me the Pats aren't even in the top 50 things I worry about but it doesn't mean I also just close my eyes to problems on the team. They are my favorite team in my favorite sport and I just want to see the best for them and like to have discussions around it. But, TE I saw as a major problem and one major reason we have issues come playoff time scoring and seeing them staying pat (no pun intended) at a position of weakness is tough to watch. So, I asked ATJ so I'm wondering are you content with the current TE core (which is basically Gronk with the rest of the corp being Hooman and maybe Devlin?) or would you have preferred to have another more capable TE as part of the main core and supplement the group with Hooman and maybe Devlin as in case of emergency break glass guys. 

Sections
Shortcuts