Development of OL Under Dave DeGuglielmo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Development of OL Under Dave DeGuglielmo

With the loss of Dante Scarnecchia, one has to wonder how the OL will do under a different coach. Considering that the OL isn't what it used to be, and the importance of minimizing hits, pressures, hurries, and sack on Brady - how do people think the OL is going to hold up this year w/ the new additions and injured players coming back?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Development of OL Under Dave DeGuglielmo

No idea until we see them play.  

Lots of potential changes: players, technique, schemes, discipline, etc.  But it could all stay pretty much the same too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thought the book was pretty well written on how to beat the Pats. Pressure up the middle and get Brady off his spot and interrupt his timing. The interior was exposed, and the WR's did the offense no favors with inexperience and unfamiliarity with the play book. When the Pats were able to run the ball on given Sundays, they were tough to beat. When the running game was stuffed, it took Brady to bail out a win. Every game was undecided until well into the 4th quarter. Ghost was crucial. Allen was as well.

Size and strength was drafted, but young players take time.

Logic dictates that the Pats will opt for young upside with advantageous contracts and they will live with the growing pains rather than accept vets on the downside with higher contracts and average play.  

There will be days where this OL looks like they will get to top 5 in the NFL, but other teams have strengths and good coaches as well. Other days, the OL will be exposed.

The difference between a 7-8 win team and a 10-11 win team, will be Brady and BB...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I think there will be an adjustment period but, by mid-season, I expect this line to be effective in both pas and run blocking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

The difference between a 7-8 win team and a 10-11 win team, will be Brady and BB...

Huh? You don't think that Revis, Browner, McCourty, Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Easley, Ridley, Vereen, Gronk... or any of the other very talented players that we have won't make a difference in our win total? 

This is an ultra-talented team from top to bottom. Their fate will ultimately come down to health late in the season. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

BB drafts of late are easy to read. You can always tell what he thinks the true weak points of the team's performance have been. The past draft meant three O Linemen were taken, so it is easily the teams major weak point. I also don't think it's an accident that a new coach from outside the organization was brought in, one who coached against them in the past, one within their own division, who might have special insight on how to play against the Pats and how to avoid old problem areas. Certainly the old coach's favorites are no longer favorites and have to prove themselves all over again to the new guy. That's the way this O Line should be tested after a hideous year.

I would not at all be surprised to see all three O Linemen drafted making the squad and at least one starting by mid-season. I doubt Wendell makes this team. I also think Connoly is in the danger zone as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to vertigho's comment:

Huh? You don't think that Revis, Browner, McCourty, Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Easley, Ridley, Vereen, Gronk... or any of the other very talented players that we have won't make a difference in our win total? 

This is an ultra-talented team from top to bottom. Their fate will ultimately come down to health late in the season. 

I don't know if they were "ultra" talented.  Prior to this year, the quality of defensive play very much relied on Talib. When he was not playing the pass D was close to dead last in the league. I don't care what anyone says, but if one can't get of the field consistently - and more importantly - get off the field or make a stop when it's needed the most - it's going to cost this team a win - especially if the offense doesn't do their part.

The addition of Revis and Browner is a step in the right direction.  We are still weak at SS and TE.   Our OL HAS to improve to minimize hits, hurries, pressures, and sacks on Brady - AND it would be nice if they cour block for the running game too. The latter part I think they've been weak in. IMO, Brady becomes below average just like any other team where the QB is getting harassed.  The OL have to have better games in bigger games.

The pass rush, altho improved in the past couple of years - is still not good enough to compete with the big boys. They too must have better games in big games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

The additions will make the defensive secondary much better.  The additions hopefully will make the interior OL better.  Health should make the defensive front and OT's better.  Experience and health(mayo) should make the LB's better. 

Given all of that, the current weakness of this team is the WR, TE's and RB's.  There were very few additions here, even in comparison to the loses.  These skilled offensive players have to step up beyond what we think they are, or we will be another 11 win early PO exit team...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Agreed. This is a team that finished 4th, 4th and 2nd the last 3 seasons. They aren't that far off. They have some really good talent. It ain't all Belichick and Brady.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

bottom line, if OL doesn't protect Brady in the big games - the defense has to be that much better just to keep  a game close

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I thought the book was pretty well written on how to beat the Pats. Pressure up the middle and get Brady off his spot and interrupt his timing. The interior was exposed, and the WR's did the offense no favors with inexperience and unfamiliarity with the play book. When the Pats were able to run the ball on given Sundays, they were tough to beat. When the running game was stuffed, it took Brady to bail out a win. Every game was undecided until well into the 4th quarter. Ghost was crucial. Allen was as well.

Logic dictates that the Pats will opt for young upside with advantageous contracts and they will live with the growing pains rather than accept vets on the downside with higher contracts and average play.  

There will be days where this OL looks like they will get to top 5 in the NFL, but other teams have strengths and good coaches as well. Other days, the OL will be exposed.

I cant agree with your last statement. This is a solid team across the board with a few weaknesses in depth and some unsureness about older vets coming back from injuries.

OFFENSE

1. OL is solid. Certainly better than 8-8 as a unit. The question as to how much better is whether we are relatively healthy and whether we get any improvement at C and/or RG. As they are now I would say a 10-6 level where the best O lines would be 13-3 level say.

2. RBs another solid group. Yes not perfect. But solid. I would say 11 -5 group if relatively healthy and dont fumble the ball an INORDINATE amount.

3. TEs - Great and no depth to speak of at this writing. Depth may end up a bit better but lets say what we have on paper now. 16-0 starter (no better TE in the league and more than that a game changing player whenever he is on the field). But 2-14 depth.

4. WRs decent but not special AT THIS WRITING. I would say 9-7 now but with LaFell and THREE rookies showing some real potential - all we need is one of them to blossom A BIT. But I think we will see at least 2 of them make real progress. I do not say this will be a 12-4 group but it could be a 10 or maybe 11 win level if healthy (yes big if) and at least one rookie makes a nice step up.

DEFENSE

1. DL looks solid - say 10-6 group now with more upside this year. Good DEs but not great depth there. DT 2 solid starters and a stud rookie but we all know the questions there.

2. LBs solid 11-5 group: Mayo is a real leader in this league. Hightower is a solid player showing progress in his second year (so not a one year and then a washout). He has the physical ability to be a major player and he has the instincts to be a major player. Collins, being the youngest, most questionable but looked good with some special skills. Anderson adds much needed depth.

3. CBs - this is GOLD. 14-2 level at least and more if Revis is all the way back and the group is healthy. This group alone makes the 7-8 win statement sound silly.

4. Ss - a good group lead by a very good player. At least 10-6 now. 12 IF Harmon makes real strides.

SPECIAL TEAMS: 10-11 wins unit

THis group is an 11 win team with Mallet at QB (like Cassel in 2008). Add Brady and we are 12-15 wins depending on health and a bounce here or there. A Broncos team without Manning does not win 10 games.

THe playoff picture will be all about health. If we are as healthy as the competition in any playoff game I give us the edge at this point in time. But it is health that will give the edge.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Agreed. This is a team that finished 4th, 4th and 2nd the last 3 seasons. They aren't that far off. They have some really good talent. It ain't all Belichick and Brady.

Blasphemy!  

LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I cant agree with your last statement. This is a solid team across the board with a few weaknesses in depth and some unsureness about older vets coming back from injuries.

OFFENSE

1. OL is solid. Certainly better than 8-8 as a unit. The question as to how much better is whether we are relatively healthy and whether we get any improvement at C and/or RG. As they are now I would say a 10-6 level where the best O lines would be 13-3 level say.

2. RBs another solid group. Yes not perfect. But solid. I would say 11 -5 group if relatively healthy and dont fumble the ball an INORDINATE amount.

3. TEs - Great and no depth to speak of at this writing. Depth may end up a bit better but lets say what we have on paper now. 16-0 starter (no better TE in the league and more than that a game changing player whenever he is on the field). But 2-14 depth.

4. WRs decent but not special AT THIS WRITING. I would say 9-7 now but with LaFell and THREE rookies showing some real potential - all we need is one of them to blossom A BIT. But I think we will see at least 2 of them make real progress. I do not say this will be a 12-4 group but it could be a 10 or maybe 11 win level if healthy (yes big if) and at least one rookie makes a nice step up.

DEFENSE

1. DL looks solid - say 10-6 group now with more upside this year. Good DEs but not great depth there. DT 2 solid starters and a stud rookie but we all know the questions there.

2. LBs solid 11-5 group: Mayo is a real leader in this league. Hightower is a solid player showing progress in his second year (so not a one year and then a washout). He has the physical ability to be a major player and he has the instincts to be a major player. Collins, being the youngest, most questionable but looked good with some special skills. Anderson adds much needed depth.

3. CBs - this is GOLD. 14-2 level at least and more if Revis is all the way back and the group is healthy. This group alone makes the 7-8 win statement sound silly.

4. Ss - a good group lead by a very good player. At least 10-6 now. 12 IF Harmon makes real strides.

SPECIAL TEAMS: 10-11 wins unit

THis group is an 11 win team with Mallet at QB (like Cassel in 2008). Add Brady and we are 12-15 wins depending on health and a bounce here or there. A Broncos team without Manning does not win 10 games.

THe playoff picture will be all about health. If we are as healthy as the competition in any playoff game I give us the edge at this point in time. But it is health that will give the edge.

The db unit should be better. Will be interesting to see if pass rush can hold up their end of the bargain.  I don't care if we have a top 5 db unit - it ain't gonna mean diddly if we can't get to opposing QBs.

In addition, the offense during playoffs will depend on OL play. Can they keep opponents off Brady?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

mostly

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

mostly

So, if we swapped Belichick and Brady with Coughlin and Manning would the Patriots suck like the Giants do?

Sections
Shortcuts