Devin McCourtey in coverage LOL

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Devin McCourtey in coverage LOL

In Response to Re: Devin McCourtey in coverage LOL:
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=467558 RWTK is most likely right that McCourty is playing hurt and the other guy is right as well that he is the worst in the league. As of 11/5 he had given up 40 passes for 544 on 58 attempts. Thats a 70 % completion rate and far and away the worst in the league and since coming back it has only gotten worse. I do think he is hurt, but like other poster said, then SIT DOWN,. Molden was not targeted like that, nor Has Arrington who as of 11/5 had given up 17 catches on 33 attempts a little under 50 % but has 7 pics to show for it. Truth hurts
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I'll respond to the inaccuracies of Jay's and 49er's posts here...

First 49~
    Here's yet 1 more link for you:

"Again, I’d like to emphasize, while everyone around the country has put a catchy name to describe the Colts “quest” toward the No. 1 pick in April, the players have continued to play the game hard. Perhaps the best example from Sunday was wide receiver Pierre Garcon (+4.1), the key man in the Colts’ 21-point burst. Contrary to what most will think, his big plays did not come against the Patriots’ prevent defense. They continued to play regular coverages, perhaps playing even more aggressive, and Garcon made them pay. At the 2:18 (4th quarter) mark, he (Garcon) spun cornerback Sterling Moore around with a double move for a touchdown. On the final drive, Garcon made an outstanding catch by the sideline for 40 yards with 0:47 to go, and then followed it up on the next play with a similar catch in the end zone for another touchdown. Garcon’s unbelievable quarter struck some fear in Patriots fans, but the 31-3 deficit was too much to overcome."
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/06/re-focused-colts-patriots-week-13/

I hope this'll help you get a more accurate picture (again)...but I'm sure it won't.

Jay~Saw those same stats, but they didn't add up.  The yardage total RE: McCourty, is in fact, totally incorrect...This 1 IS correct:

With Devin McCourty sidelined the past 2½ games with a shoulder injury, Kyle Arrington has become the most targeted corner on the Patriots' roster this season. Like the defense as a whole, he's been hit for a large amount of yardage, but he's limited the damage (two touchdowns) and made big plays (seven interceptions). Here's a look at the season numbers courtesy of analytical site Pro Football Focus, including the number of pass coverage snaps for each player:

TARGET PRACTICE

PlayerPass SnapsTargetsCatchesYardsTDINTPDQB rating
    Kyle Arrington437653149727544.4
    Devin McCourty3796444185403119.8
    Antwaun Molden1732717263312116.7
    Patrick Chung30727208411398.1
    James Ihedigbo29324145910297.6
    Phillip Adams**12523126501053.9
    Leigh Bodden**16922126810499.1
    Sergio Brown182754111094.9
    Ras-I Dowling*68737400081.8
    Sterling Moore133425000095.8
    Josh Barrett*142311100045.1
    Nate Jones11111000112.5

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4711278/targets-arrington-leapfrogs-mccourty

Alright guys, some conclcusions...  Again, I hate to temper incomplete emotional inaccuracies, with any sorta detail or explanation (I'm sorta "anti" this, right now), But this "Devin McCourty is THE single reason our passing D svx, and Devin McCourty is THE worst CB in the league," lmao-This has gone on long enough.

So please, just attempt to here, just begrudgingly attempt to see a more concise picture regarding, fuller details...

#1- McCourty's pass-catch reception-rate IS abysmal.  Dang we KNOW this...He HAS taken a step back this season totally regardless.  But first things first:  McCourty's yardage catch total given up, IS very low (all things considered).  Remember this as you ALSO weigh...

#2- Like I stated previously, After 8 games (a complete 1/2 of a full season), Devin McCourty had been credited with 54TTs (by BDC) and 55TTs (by NFL.com)...'kay?  That would've put him on pace for 108-110 Total Tackles, by the end of this 1 single year alone.  Two things you can ALL personally check= #1. Go back on a play-by-play recap of any of those first 8 games, just to see what a sheer astounding number of those Tackles, were on in fact, RUNNINGBACKS...on Running Plays themselves.   #2. Go and check (It's either detailed on Pro-Football focus, OR Advanced NFL Stats,; I forget)- Literally, HOW god-awful particularly the DE on the strong-side of NE's D-Line (VERY often, & much more often than not, Devin McCourty's coverage side to begin a given play on), WAS verses the running game.  TERRIBLE. 

~Look, Ty Law was a COMPLETE Cornerback...someone like Asante Samuel IS not...whatsoever.  Yet, even when Ty Law was hittin' on all cylinders playing a full-game with both pass D and all-around D (run support, etc), He'd average (as an average in his best seasons)- close to 70-75 TTs in a year.  Place this now side-by-side, with a CB making an insane 110TTs in 1 given year...  Look at Asante Samuel, he gets roughly a 40 TT max, in even his "most complete" season.  He!! just go on NFL.com and hit up CBs, just to see the correlation between TTs and PDs/INTs, and you WILL see, that the CBs with the highest TTs, are 9 out of EVERY 10X, NOT the CBs with the highest numbers of INTs and PDs...  Oddly enough, In this 2011 Season 2 distinct & seperate, exceptions to this overwhelmingly true rule, Are Devin McCourty's own brother, Jason McCourty (this year) along with McCourty's own teammate, Kyle Arrington (this year).  

And what'dya say?  Ya think it's a brilliant idea to tell Devin, just to turn a blind-eye to the running game, in the games when the D-Line and LBs are NOT even closely pulling their own weight, by simply not even defending the run whatsoever???  Jesus, The Pats DE stats show this, McCourty's TT stats show this, The play-by-play specific details of WHO he's tackling, SHOW this...
    What  more  do  you  want? 
    ~Oh btw, Here's an even added thing you ALL might wanna look at:  Go ahead and check Kyle Arrington's game-by-game stats, because he himself is having an exceptional year, right?  Now go game-by-game, and see Arrington's TT stats and weigh them verses Arrington's PD and INT stats, for that same game.  MORE often THAN not, when those TT stats are high, guess what?  The PD and INT stats WILL be hurting...period.

#3- The pass-rush which we RARELY had through the first 6-7 games or so...the VERY same pass-rush we actually thought was solved during roughly Games 8, 9, 10, and 11...Fell flat on it's face once more, during this game (#12), McCourty's first game back after being sidelined 2-3 weeks (2 1/2 games to be more precise).  Consecutively, NE has (or had) been sending a simply amazing number of men this year rushing the QB...And even when they're not, moreso than anytime previously in BB's tenure here, Belichick IS rushing 4 men, rather than 3.  The end result is the same in both cases=Less Help dropping in coverage downfield...period.  NE's pass-rush IS at the very best, totally inconsistant.  At worst, it is LACKING (especially in light of the sheer number of pass-rushers being sent, and even more lacking when you place this back against the sub-par run defense from the up front guys).      

#4- The Safety position-S.  First, much less-so in these more recent games, Belichick HAD been using more Coverage 1 Safety schemes, than anytime... Quite honestly, I can'tt even remember BB EVER using Coverage 1 (1 Safety...not 2...1 less guy to help you, the cornerback)- E-v-e-r.  I just can't.  And even though now, It's back to having 2 Safeties now, nearly always in recent games I believe now, It does NOT change this simple fact:  WHO the Safeties are...

Lmao...say what'cha will about Brandon Meriweather, but KNOW this:  Having even Brandon Meriweather back there at Safety during those first 8 games, would have significantly upgraded who we DID have back there (terrifying, huh?).  And especially having a cognizant vet like James Sanders back there in pass-coverage, would have made a WORLD of difference.  Sanders may not have been a trully great all-around impact Safety, especially verse the run...or a game-altering neck-shattering hitter, but in terms of accurately diagnosing the direction of a pass-play, and simply BEING there to support a CB in coverage, Sanders was good (and strangely enough, he was getting to be pretty dang good at this...which is clearly why Belichick just had to cut him).

So who was our Vet Safety?  1 guy, with 1 full season playing for NE, and who it appears is injured every other game regardless=Pat Chung.  And he's good...but you went from Meriweather and Sanders (AND Chung) to: Chung (every other game)...and somebody with no name...and finally, the back-up of the person who it isn't even important knowing their name.  That's not- ahh, good (really, I can't even find a term for how bad that position was downgraded in a mere instant...days before the start of the season).

But there was a light...and Hahaaaa, I called it.  I did.  It was James Ihedigbo.  There was a thread on him after NE signed him.  People were merely saying "Special Teams guy, big deal."  I said something almost exactly like, "You should not discount, for 1 single second, the importance and potential for impact at the Safety spot, that acquiring Ihedigbo, WILL Bring...".  Go and check.  And after HE started getting more and more, and finally Starting-time...Ihedigbo finally offered that 1 thing which NE was overly-counting on their Cornerbacks to give:  Ihedigbo has helped free up the CBs much more to turn their attention fuller towards actual pass-defense, rather than being overly concerned with worrying about the run as well (AND worrying about inevitably having to tackle someone else's pass-catching assignment running through open field).  

There was FINALLY a modicum of just basic consistancy within The Safety positions:  Ihedigbo occupying the basic role of The Strong Safety, and helping support the run and short passing game, While Chung could occupy the purer pass-coverage roles found within the role of The standard Free Safety.  And yes, I'm fully aware that Belichick both mixes and matches his Safeties and their respective job-assignments...heck, he doesn't even refer to them as either "Strong" or "Free" Safety, but by and large:  There are roles, and by basic NFL Standards, BB's basic & general outline is on the same page with the rest of The NFL regarding 2 Safeties, and their most basic roles.  

~So we were good, right?  And, yup-Just as The Safety (AND the pass-rush) started shoring up, So DID our CB play...and so did Devin McCourty's individual play, during that brief 2 game stint, prior to getting injured.  And so what happens next?  Chung is inevitably out...And so we now have Ihedigbo as our "longtime" NE vet at Safety, for DMC's first game back (along with Sterling Moore...and Matt Slater...and Nate Jones- Or however exactly BB mixed and matched last games hodge-podge of no-names in the secondary???).  ZERO personell consistancy found within the player YOU have to count on, to help you in pass-coverage and to free you up to focus fully ON pass-coverage...None.

#4- The guy's injured...  Jesus Kriiist!  That 5 yard TD by Donald Brown?  That should say it ALL!!!  The way DMC just SHREDS RBs in his running game support, Last year AND this year...That should say it all.  On top of ALL this...ALL of this=Devin McCourty is playing hurt...without a doubt.

...Did this help? 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

ReallY laz, you think someone is gonna read all that? Its simple. Devin is no longer the most targeted because he missed some games. The fact that Arrington has 7 take a ways makes me feel much better though. The tackles, I agree have come on running backs and some on WRs. I dont know what you posted after that but its probably irrelevent. I am not saying he is the worst, but according to stats he is,. and the average fan doesnt break down as much stuff you just did. I also like James coming in and havent been impressed and I dont buy this free up the CB junk. I saw a guy playing the slot all game, how does that help? Whatever the case, people shouldnt be concerned if he is the worst in the NFL, i agree but just for the simple fact he is the only 1st rd talent in our secondary who hasnt made any plays in a secondary full of undrafted free agents speaks volumes. Either he is bothered by something, or we are drafting another CB high next April.
    Posted by patsfan76

The best, for me at least, is when you make an effort to give someone a clearer picture of their beliefs, and they say: "Nahhh, I'ma stick with my theory being the correct one...because it's shorter." 

I can't even argue with how iron-clad this kind of rationale is...(I wish that this was something I could've at least made up...but I didn't even have to).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

What is Earthwind Moreland doing these days?
    Posted by mcboyd22
    He's playing for the Patriots he changed his last name to Jones and he's playing safety...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourtey in coverage LOL : The best, for me at least, is when you make an effort to give someone a clearer picture of their beliefs, and they say: "Nahhh, I'ma stick with my theory being the correct one...because it's shorter."  I can't even argue with how iron-clad this kind of rationale is...(I wish that this was something I could've at least made up...but I didn't even have to).
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

That 185 yards is clearly a mistake and I'll bet my life on it. The yardage in no way is adding up. That is less than 5 yards a catch and that QBR would most likely be way way less than what it is. I do not know what the real yardage is but I am sure that is wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

According to that pro football focus site McCourty had given up 496 yards as of October 31st. I had never been on the site before and I do not know where the current data is located but that site has an article dated October 31st that do not mesh with the globe stats. Personally I believe the pro football focus numbers. No way is McCourty giving up only 4 yards a catch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

According to that pro football focus site McCourty had given up 496 yards as of October 31st. I had never been on the site before and I do not know where the current data is located but that site has an article dated October 31st that do not mesh with the globe stats. Personally I believe the pro football focus numbers. No way is McCourty giving up only 4 yards a catch.
    Posted by ccnsd

You're right, this is actually McCourty's season. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourtey in coverage LOL : I'll respond to the inaccuracies of Jay's and 49er's posts here... First 49~ Here's yet 1 more link for you: "Again, I’d like to emphasize, while everyone around the country has put a catchy name to describe the Colts “quest” toward the No. 1 pick in April, the players have continued to play the game hard. Perhaps the best example from Sunday was wide receiver Pierre Garcon ( +4.1 ), the key man in the Colts’ 21-point burst. Contrary to what most will think, his big plays did not come against the Patriots’ prevent defense. They continued to play regular coverages, perhaps playing even more aggressive, and Garcon made them pay. At the 2 : 18 ( 4th quarter ) mark , he (Garcon)   spun cornerback Sterling Moore around with   a double move for   a touchdown . On the final drive, Garcon made an outstanding catch by the sideline for 40 yards with 0:47 to go, and then followed it up on the next play with a similar catch in the end zone for another touchdown. Garcon’s unbelievable quarter struck some fear in Patriots fans, but the 31-3 deficit was too much to overcome." https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/06/re-focused-colts-patriots-week-13/ I hope this'll help you get a more accurate picture (again)...but I'm sure it won't. Jay~Saw those same stats, but they didn't add up.  The yardage total RE: McCourty, is in fact, totally incorrect...This 1  IS correct: With Devin McCourty sidelined the past 2½ games with a shoulder injury, Kyle Arrington has become the most targeted corner on the Patriots' roster this season. Like the defense as a whole, he's been hit for a large amount of yardage, but he's limited the damage (two touchdowns) and made big plays (seven interceptions). Here's a look at the season numbers courtesy of analytical site Pro Football Focus , including the number of pass coverage snaps for each player: TARGET PRACTICE Player Pass Snaps Targets Catches Yards TD INT PD QB rating Kyle Arrington 437 65 31 497 2 7 5 44.4 Devin McCourty 379 64 44 185 4 0 3 119.8 Antwaun Molden 173 27 17 263 3 1 2 116.7 Patrick Chung 307 27 20 84 1 1 3 98.1 James Ihedigbo 293 24 14 59 1 0 2 97.6 Phillip Adams ** 125 23 12 65 0 1 0 53.9 Leigh Bodden ** 169 22 12 68 1 0 4 99.1 Sergio Brown 182 7 5 41 1 1 0 94.9 Ras-I Dowling * 68 7 3 74 0 0 0 81.8 Sterling Moore 133 4 2 50 0 0 0 95.8 Josh Barrett * 142 3 1 11 0 0 0 45.1 Nate Jones 1 1 1 11 0 0 0 112.5 http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4711278/targets-arrington-leapfrogs-mccourty Alright guys, some conclcusions...  Again, I hate to temper incomplete emotional inaccuracies, with any sorta detail or explanation (I'm sorta "anti" this, right now), But this "Devin McCourty is THE single reason our passing D svx, and Devin McCourty is THE worst CB in the league," lmao-This has gone on long enough. So please, just attempt to here, just begrudgingly attempt to see a more concise picture regarding, fuller details... #1- McCourty's pass-catch reception-rate IS abysmal.  Dang we KNOW this...He HAS taken a step back this season totally regardless.  But first things first:  McCourty's yardage catch total given up, IS very low (all things considered).  Remember this as you ALSO weigh... #2- Like I stated previously, After 8 games (a complete 1/2 of a full season), Devin McCourty had been credited with 54TTs (by BDC) and 55TTs (by NFL.com)...'kay?  That would've put him on pace for 108-110 Total Tackles, by the end of this 1 single year alone.  Two things you can ALL personally check= #1. Go back on a play-by-play recap of any of those first 8 games, just to see what a sheer astounding number of those Tackles, were on in fact, RUNNINGBACKS...on Running Plays themselves.   #2. Go and check (It's either detailed on Pro-Football focus, OR Advanced NFL Stats,; I forget)- Literally, HOW god-awful particularly the DE on the strong-side of NE's D-Line (VERY often, & much more often than not, Devin McCourty's coverage side to begin a given play on), WAS verses the running game.  TERRIBLE.  ~Look, Ty Law was a COMPLETE Cornerback...someone like Asante Samuel IS not...whatsoever.  Yet, even when Ty Law was hittin' on all cylinders playing a full-game with both pass D and all-around D (run support, etc), He'd average (as an average in his best seasons)- close to 70-75 TTs in a year.  Place this now side-by-side, with a CB making an insane 110TTs in 1 given year...  Look at Asante Samuel, he gets roughly a 40 TT max, in even his "most complete" season.  He!! just go on NFL.com and hit up CBs, just to see the correlation between TTs and PDs/INTs, and you WILL see, that the CBs with the highest TTs, are 9 out of EVERY 10X, NOT the CBs with the highest numbers of INTs and PDs...  Oddly enough, In this 2011 Season 2 distinct & seperate, exceptions to this overwhelmingly true rule, Are Devin McCourty's own brother, Jason McCourty (this year) along with McCourty's own teammate, Kyle Arrington (this year).   And what'dya say?  Ya think it's a brilliant idea to tell Devin, just to turn a blind-eye to the running game, in the games when the D-Line and LBs are NOT even closely pulling their own weight, by simply not even defending the run whatsoever???  Jesus, The Pats DE stats show this, McCourty's TT stats show this, The play-by-play specific details of WHO he's tackling, SHOW this... What  more  do  you  want?  ~Oh btw, Here's an even added thing you ALL might wanna look at:  Go ahead and check Kyle Arrington's game-by-game stats, because he himself is having an exceptional year, right?  Now go game-by-game, and see Arrington's TT stats and weigh them verses Arrington's PD and INT stats, for that same game.  MORE often THAN not, when those TT stats are high, guess what?  The PD and INT stats WILL be hurting...period. #3- The pass-rush which we RARELY had through the first 6-7 games or so...the VERY same pass-rush we actually thought was solved during roughly Games 8, 9, 10, and 11...Fell flat on it's face once more, during this game (#12), McCourty's first game back after being sidelined 2-3 weeks (2 1/2 games to be more precise).  Consecutively, NE has (or had) been sending a simply amazing number of men this year rushing the QB...And even when they're not, moreso than anytime previously in BB's tenure here, Belichick IS rushing 4 men, rather than 3.  The end result is the same in both cases=Less Help dropping in coverage downfield...period.  NE's pass-rush IS at the very best, totally inconsistant.  At worst, it is LACKING (especially in light of the sheer number of pass-rushers being sent, and even more lacking when you place this back against the sub-par run defense from the up front guys).       #4- The Safety position-S.  First, much less-so in these more recent games, Belichick HAD been using more Coverage 1 Safety schemes, than anytime... Quite honestly, I can'tt even remember BB EVER using Coverage 1 (1 Safety...not 2...1 less guy to help you, the cornerback)- E-v-e-r.  I just can't.  And even though now, It's back to having 2 Safeties now, nearly always in recent games I believe now, It does NOT change this simple fact:  WHO the Safeties are... Lmao...say what'cha will about Brandon Meriweather, but KNOW this:  Having even Brandon Meriweather back there at Safety during those first 8 games, would have significantly upgraded who we DID have back there (terrifying, huh?).  And especially having a cognizant vet like James Sanders back there in pass-coverage, would have made a WORLD of difference.  Sanders may not have been a trully great all-around impact Safety, especially verse the run...or a game-altering neck-shattering hitter, but in terms of accurately diagnosing the direction of a pass-play, and simply BEING there to support a CB in coverage, Sanders was good (and strangely enough, he was getting to be pretty dang good at this...which is clearly why Belichick just had to cut him). So who was our Vet Safety?  1 guy, with 1 full season playing for NE, and who it appears is injured every other game regardless=Pat Chung.  And he's good...but you went from Meriweather and Sanders (AND Chung) to: Chung (every other game)...and somebody with no name...and finally, the back-up of the person who it isn't even important knowing their name.  That's not- ahh, good (really, I can't even find a term for how bad that position was downgraded in a mere instant...days before the start of the season). But there was a light...and Hahaaaa, I called it.  I did.  It was James Ihedigbo.  There was a thread on him after NE signed him.  People were merely saying "Special Teams guy, big deal."  I said something almost exactly like, "You should not discount, for 1 single second, the importance and potential for impact at the Safety spot, that acquiring Ihedigbo, WILL Bring...".  Go and check.  And after HE started getting more and more, and finally Starting-time...Ihedigbo finally offered that 1 thing which NE was overly-counting on their Cornerbacks to give:  Ihedigbo has helped free up the CBs much more to turn their attention fuller towards actual pass-defense, rather than being overly concerned with worrying about the run as well (AND worrying about inevitably having to tackle someone else's pass-catching assignment running through open field).   There was FINALLY a modicum of just basic consistancy within The Safety positions:  Ihedigbo occupying the basic role of The Strong Safety, and helping support the run and short passing game, While Chung could occupy the purer pass-coverage roles found within the role of The standard Free Safety.  And yes, I'm fully aware that Belichick both mixes and matches his Safeties and their respective job-assignments...heck, he doesn't even refer to them as either "Strong" or "Free" Safety, but by and large:  There are roles, and by basic NFL Standards, BB's basic & general outline is on the same page with the rest of The NFL regarding 2 Safeties, and their most basic roles.   ~So we were good, right?  And, yup-Just as The Safety (AND the pass-rush) started shoring up, So DID our CB play...and so did Devin McCourty's individual play, during that brief 2 game stint, prior to getting injured.  And so what happens next?  Chung is inevitably out...And so we now have Ihedigbo as our "longtime" NE vet at Safety, for DMC's first game back (along with Sterling Moore...and Matt Slater...and Nate Jones- Or however exactly BB mixed and matched last games hodge-podge of no-names in the secondary???).  ZERO personell consistancy found within the player YOU have to count on, to help you in pass-coverage and to free you up to focus fully ON pass-coverage...None. #4- The guy's injured...  Jesus Kriiist!  That 5 yard TD by Donald Brown?  That should say it ALL!!!  The way DMC just SHREDS RBs in his running game support, Last year AND this year...That should say it all.  On top of ALL this...ALL of this=Devin McCourty is playing hurt...without a doubt. ...Did this help? 

You sly boots, you. You switched McCourty's number's with Arrington's. 

New England Patriots CB Kyle Arrington has been targeted 28 times through six games, but he has allowed just 14 receptions for 235 yards, one touchdown with four interceptions.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=748814-patriots-kyle-arrington-playing-well-in-coverage#ixzz1fqMHyj8O

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourtey in coverage LOL : I'll respond to the inaccuracies of Jay's and 49er's posts here... First 49~ Here's yet 1 more link for you: "Again, I’d like to emphasize, while everyone around the country has put a catchy name to describe the Colts “quest” toward the No. 1 pick in April, the players have continued to play the game hard. Perhaps the best example from Sunday was wide receiver Pierre Garcon ( +4.1 ), the key man in the Colts’ 21-point burst. Contrary to what most will think, his big plays did not come against the Patriots’ prevent defense. They continued to play regular coverages, perhaps playing even more aggressive, and Garcon made them pay. At the 2 : 18 ( 4th quarter ) mark , he (Garcon)   spun cornerback Sterling Moore around with   a double move for   a touchdown . On the final drive, Garcon made an outstanding catch by the sideline for 40 yards with 0:47 to go, and then followed it up on the next play with a similar catch in the end zone for another touchdown. Garcon’s unbelievable quarter struck some fear in Patriots fans, but the 31-3 deficit was too much to overcome." https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/06/re-focused-colts-patriots-week-13/ I hope this'll help you get a more accurate picture (again)...but I'm sure it won't. Jay~Saw those same stats, but they didn't add up.  The yardage total RE: McCourty, is in fact, totally incorrect...This 1  IS correct: With Devin McCourty sidelined the past 2½ games with a shoulder injury, Kyle Arrington has become the most targeted corner on the Patriots' roster this season. Like the defense as a whole, he's been hit for a large amount of yardage, but he's limited the damage (two touchdowns) and made big plays (seven interceptions). Here's a look at the season numbers courtesy of analytical site Pro Football Focus , including the number of pass coverage snaps for each player: TARGET PRACTICE Player Pass Snaps Targets Catches Yards TD INT PD QB rating Kyle Arrington 437 65 31 497 2 7 5 44.4 Devin McCourty 379 64 44 185 4 0 3 119.8 Antwaun Molden 173 27 17 263 3 1 2 116.7 Patrick Chung 307 27 20 84 1 1 3 98.1 James Ihedigbo 293 24 14 59 1 0 2 97.6 Phillip Adams ** 125 23 12 65 0 1 0 53.9 Leigh Bodden ** 169 22 12 68 1 0 4 99.1 Sergio Brown 182 7 5 41 1 1 0 94.9 Ras-I Dowling * 68 7 3 74 0 0 0 81.8 Sterling Moore 133 4 2 50 0 0 0 95.8 Josh Barrett * 142 3 1 11 0 0 0 45.1 Nate Jones 1 1 1 11 0 0 0 112.5 http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4711278/targets-arrington-leapfrogs-mccourty Alright guys, some conclcusions...  Again, I hate to temper incomplete emotional inaccuracies, with any sorta detail or explanation (I'm sorta "anti" this, right now), But this "Devin McCourty is THE single reason our passing D svx, and Devin McCourty is THE worst CB in the league," lmao-This has gone on long enough. So please, just attempt to here, just begrudgingly attempt to see a more concise picture regarding, fuller details... #1- McCourty's pass-catch reception-rate IS abysmal.  Dang we KNOW this...He HAS taken a step back this season totally regardless.  But first things first:  McCourty's yardage catch total given up, IS very low (all things considered).  Remember this as you ALSO weigh... #2- Like I stated previously, After 8 games (a complete 1/2 of a full season), Devin McCourty had been credited with 54TTs (by BDC) and 55TTs (by NFL.com)...'kay?  That would've put him on pace for 108-110 Total Tackles, by the end of this 1 single year alone.  Two things you can ALL personally check= #1. Go back on a play-by-play recap of any of those first 8 games, just to see what a sheer astounding number of those Tackles, were on in fact, RUNNINGBACKS...on Running Plays themselves.   #2. Go and check (It's either detailed on Pro-Football focus, OR Advanced NFL Stats,; I forget)- Literally, HOW god-awful particularly the DE on the strong-side of NE's D-Line (VERY often, & much more often than not, Devin McCourty's coverage side to begin a given play on), WAS verses the running game.  TERRIBLE.  ~Look, Ty Law was a COMPLETE Cornerback...someone like Asante Samuel IS not...whatsoever.  Yet, even when Ty Law was hittin' on all cylinders playing a full-game with both pass D and all-around D (run support, etc), He'd average (as an average in his best seasons)- close to 70-75 TTs in a year.  Place this now side-by-side, with a CB making an insane 110TTs in 1 given year...  Look at Asante Samuel, he gets roughly a 40 TT max, in even his "most complete" season.  He!! just go on NFL.com and hit up CBs, just to see the correlation between TTs and PDs/INTs, and you WILL see, that the CBs with the highest TTs, are 9 out of EVERY 10X, NOT the CBs with the highest numbers of INTs and PDs...  Oddly enough, In this 2011 Season 2 distinct & seperate, exceptions to this overwhelmingly true rule, Are Devin McCourty's own brother, Jason McCourty (this year) along with McCourty's own teammate, Kyle Arrington (this year).   And what'dya say?  Ya think it's a brilliant idea to tell Devin, just to turn a blind-eye to the running game, in the games when the D-Line and LBs are NOT even closely pulling their own weight, by simply not even defending the run whatsoever???  Jesus, The Pats DE stats show this, McCourty's TT stats show this, The play-by-play specific details of WHO he's tackling, SHOW this... What  more  do  you  want?  ~Oh btw, Here's an even added thing you ALL might wanna look at:  Go ahead and check Kyle Arrington's game-by-game stats, because he himself is having an exceptional year, right?  Now go game-by-game, and see Arrington's TT stats and weigh them verses Arrington's PD and INT stats, for that same game.  MORE often THAN not, when those TT stats are high, guess what?  The PD and INT stats WILL be hurting...period. #3- The pass-rush which we RARELY had through the first 6-7 games or so...the VERY same pass-rush we actually thought was solved during roughly Games 8, 9, 10, and 11...Fell flat on it's face once more, during this game (#12), McCourty's first game back after being sidelined 2-3 weeks (2 1/2 games to be more precise).  Consecutively, NE has (or had) been sending a simply amazing number of men this year rushing the QB...And even when they're not, moreso than anytime previously in BB's tenure here, Belichick IS rushing 4 men, rather than 3.  The end result is the same in both cases=Less Help dropping in coverage downfield...period.  NE's pass-rush IS at the very best, totally inconsistant.  At worst, it is LACKING (especially in light of the sheer number of pass-rushers being sent, and even more lacking when you place this back against the sub-par run defense from the up front guys).       #4- The Safety position-S.  First, much less-so in these more recent games, Belichick HAD been using more Coverage 1 Safety schemes, than anytime... Quite honestly, I can'tt even remember BB EVER using Coverage 1 (1 Safety...not 2...1 less guy to help you, the cornerback)- E-v-e-r.  I just can't.  And even though now, It's back to having 2 Safeties now, nearly always in recent games I believe now, It does NOT change this simple fact:  WHO the Safeties are... Lmao...say what'cha will about Brandon Meriweather, but KNOW this:  Having even Brandon Meriweather back there at Safety during those first 8 games, would have significantly upgraded who we DID have back there (terrifying, huh?).  And especially having a cognizant vet like James Sanders back there in pass-coverage, would have made a WORLD of difference.  Sanders may not have been a trully great all-around impact Safety, especially verse the run...or a game-altering neck-shattering hitter, but in terms of accurately diagnosing the direction of a pass-play, and simply BEING there to support a CB in coverage, Sanders was good (and strangely enough, he was getting to be pretty dang good at this...which is clearly why Belichick just had to cut him). So who was our Vet Safety?  1 guy, with 1 full season playing for NE, and who it appears is injured every other game regardless=Pat Chung.  And he's good...but you went from Meriweather and Sanders (AND Chung) to: Chung (every other game)...and somebody with no name...and finally, the back-up of the person who it isn't even important knowing their name.  That's not- ahh, good (really, I can't even find a term for how bad that position was downgraded in a mere instant...days before the start of the season). But there was a light...and Hahaaaa, I called it.  I did.  It was James Ihedigbo.  There was a thread on him after NE signed him.  People were merely saying "Special Teams guy, big deal."  I said something almost exactly like, "You should not discount, for 1 single second, the importance and potential for impact at the Safety spot, that acquiring Ihedigbo, WILL Bring...".  Go and check.  And after HE started getting more and more, and finally Starting-time...Ihedigbo finally offered that 1 thing which NE was overly-counting on their Cornerbacks to give:  Ihedigbo has helped free up the CBs much more to turn their attention fuller towards actual pass-defense, rather than being overly concerned with worrying about the run as well (AND worrying about inevitably having to tackle someone else's pass-catching assignment running through open field).   There was FINALLY a modicum of just basic consistancy within The Safety positions:  Ihedigbo occupying the basic role of The Strong Safety, and helping support the run and short passing game, While Chung could occupy the purer pass-coverage roles found within the role of The standard Free Safety.  And yes, I'm fully aware that Belichick both mixes and matches his Safeties and their respective job-assignments...heck, he doesn't even refer to them as either "Strong" or "Free" Safety, but by and large:  There are roles, and by basic NFL Standards, BB's basic & general outline is on the same page with the rest of The NFL regarding 2 Safeties, and their most basic roles.   ~So we were good, right?  And, yup-Just as The Safety (AND the pass-rush) started shoring up, So DID our CB play...and so did Devin McCourty's individual play, during that brief 2 game stint, prior to getting injured.  And so what happens next?  Chung is inevitably out...And so we now have Ihedigbo as our "longtime" NE vet at Safety, for DMC's first game back (along with Sterling Moore...and Matt Slater...and Nate Jones- Or however exactly BB mixed and matched last games hodge-podge of no-names in the secondary???).  ZERO personell consistancy found within the player YOU have to count on, to help you in pass-coverage and to free you up to focus fully ON pass-coverage...None. #4- The guy's injured...  Jesus Kriiist!  That 5 yard TD by Donald Brown?  That should say it ALL!!!  The way DMC just SHREDS RBs in his running game support, Last year AND this year...That should say it all.  On top of ALL this...ALL of this=Devin McCourty is playing hurt...without a doubt. ...Did this help? 

No it didn't help !  Boy you like to talk. McD probably has so many tackles because he has allowed so many receptions.  He is terrible because he can't defend the pass, the number 1 skillset required of a cornerback, and his technique is non-existant.  Plus, I don't think anyone in this thread, at least not me, blamed our defensive lapses all on McD.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourtey in coverage LOL : As much as I can't really read your convoluted stream of consciousness, your point is well received. People give me grief for being considerate and spacing out thoughts so one's eyes don't go blood shot. You jam mutliplel thoughts into chunks of writing and you're a hero. lol Apparently, though, some people go around having conversations off the inernet, in 5 word phrases.  I wouldn't take the people who have ADD or reading comprehension issues to heart here. We have a real issue with attention spans in our society. It's not just here.  The internets giveth and the internets taketh away. I will say, McCourty has struggled, hurt or not hurt, but that doesn't change my opinion on his really great talent.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

Again, you are missing the point !  Nothing is worse than wasted talent.  It's not the talent that is important, it's what you do with it !!  This year, McD has done nothing with it, and especially in a year where most pundits say you make the most improvement (i.e. your 2nd year in the league), he has been a huge disappointmnet.  If he doesn't turn it around, he will see the same road as Darius Butler and Lawrence Maroney.  They had talent to. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

excellent article about what is wrong with DMc by Ronnie Lippett.  Must reading, especially for all of those of you who feel his troubles are the cause of an injury.  Yes RWTK, I'm talking about you !!

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1386809&format=&page=2&listingType=pats#articleFull

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Nice article but it only explain why none of our Dbs play the deep ball well or it just means McCourty is hurt.

I appreciate Lippets words. He was one of my fav's and a great person, but unless he spoke w/ # 32, he has no idea if thats the reason he is struggling.

If people dismiss what Tedy is talking about, how is this guy talking for the team? He is a lot of years removed and never played for B.B.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

What is Earthwind Moreland doing these days?
    Posted by mcboyd22

Hanging out with Delta O'Neil

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Some sort of curse I think. In 09 Bodden walks in and plays great but nobody on the other side is good. Then the next year McCourty gets here and we think we might have a good CB on both sides but Bodden goes down. Then Bodden comes back for 2011 to go with McCourty's great rookie season and what happens...Bodden doesn't recover, McCourty has a slump and Arrington becomes one of the best CBs in the league. It is clear that the NFL gods don't want us to have more than one good CB at a time. I'm going to call it the curse of Ty Law.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourtey in coverage LOL : Did you just try to compare McCourty to Maroney and Butler? When BB says McCourty was the best interview he ever had, that's all I need to know that I am right and you're wrong. I am not going to bag on a very good player who is struggling or might be slowed by nagging injuries. You do what you do, looking for scapegoats like a drama queen and I'll watch football.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

GO AHEAD AND WATCH MR CLUELESS; U HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE LOOKIN AT

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts