Devin McCourty due for an All-Pro Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Devin McCourty due for an All-Pro Season

Why do I say this?

He is already considered to be a top tier safety in the league (debatable), and has had to play his entire career around, well to put it kindly, crap. Gregory, Chung, Arrington (on the outside), Meriweather, Butler, Sterling Moore, Cole to name some.

Now, the defensive backfield is loaded with talent. Revis, Browner, Dennard (in the slot where he will excel), Ryan, Arrington.

Before this McCourty had to cover overtop of average CBs and couldnt free lance and make plays on the ball.

Now, Revis shuts down half of the field. Browner when on a good matchup can shut down his side. Dennard can hold his own in the slot. That leaves a lot less responsibility for DMC and now he can go out and take more risks imo and we could see a lot more impact plays from him and he will get the national attention he deserves.

Big season for him IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Re: Devin McCourty due for an All-Pro Season

+1 Meaning lets lock him up before the season starts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why do I say this?

He is already considered to be a top tier safety in the league (debatable), and has had to play his entire career around, well to put it kindly, crap. Gregory, Chung, Arrington (on the outside), Meriweather, Butler, Sterling Moore, Cole to name some.

Now, the defensive backfield is loaded with talent. Revis, Browner, Dennard (in the slot where he will excel), Ryan, Arrington.

Before this McCourty had to cover overtop of average CBs and couldnt free lance and make plays on the ball.

Now, Revis shuts down half of the field. Browner when on a good matchup can shut down his side. Dennard can hold his own in the slot. That leaves a lot less responsibility for DMC and now he can go out and take more risks imo and we could see a lot more impact plays from him and he will get the national attention he deserves.

Big season for him IMO.

[/QUOTE]

what do you mean "due"?

Isn't he already better than Revis?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

what do you mean "due"?

[/QUOTE]

no he isnt and was imo, average to maybe above average at best.

now that isnt all on him as I said, he was in a bad DBfield for years. lets see howm his playmaking ability forms with better players around him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Hope you're right because if Devin has an all pro season then our secondary is going to be outstanding....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

what do you mean "due"?

[/QUOTE]

no he isnt and was imo, average to maybe above average at best.

now that isnt all on him as I said, he was in a bad DBfield for years. lets see howm his playmaking ability forms with better players around him

[/QUOTE]

obviously I was joking...i was referring to one moron who said he was...three guesses who

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Seriously...  I'll take any and every DB with this complete & thick stat-line in your 1st 4 League years:

Games Total Tkls Scks Yds INTs Yds Tds PassDfnsd FrcedFmbls FR

61      303           1.0    4.0   15   201   0       52              5     1

Kick Returns Yards Average Tds

35           810     23.1   1  

And remember...year 2 & 3, DMC lost BOTH NE's 1st string Starting Safeties <Meriweather/Sanders> & NEs Front 7 svcked in collapsing the pocket/sacks, DMC's 1st 2 Seasons.  End of year 3-to full Year 4, DMC changed positions from CB-FS.  His stats showing the smaller # TTs respectively in this positional difference and initial transference, <just 67 TTs and 1 INT>...  But DMC, if and when ya followed him on the field was ALWAYS altering the opposing QBs reads from the 1st- the 2nd- the 3rd, etc..  And the guy was nearly always around where the pass was inevitably sent <ya wanna teach someone how to play Free Safety, then get the tape of the San Fran game for a Coverage 1 DMC defensive gem>. 

It was sorta painful seein' him slow down at the end of this year...but when from Day #1, you've missed 3 outta 72 Total Games including each playoff game, & played nearly every D snap in those games...it's sorta understandable.

He's 10X the DB his brother is/was, and with 1 year left on Jason McCourty's Rookie deal, He got paid HUGE. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Revis, DMC, Browner, Arrington, Dennard/Ryan/Chung  contributables...could make for a freak show in  the Secondary.  ^  Find a better Secondary on any team, and any season?  Just try (including NE w/ Harrison & Law?).  This is the best looking 1 on paper, I can ever recall seeing...  < THAT, is a big boast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Revis, DMC, Browner, Arrington, Dennard/Ryan/Chung  contributables...could make for a freak show in  the Secondary.  ^  Find a better Secondary on any team, and any season?  Just try (including NE w/ Harrison & Law?).  This is the best looking 1 on paper, I can ever recall seeing...  < THAT, is a big boast.

[/QUOTE]

Are you predicting great things for patsie bust Chung?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

Revis, DMC, Browner, Arrington, Dennard/Ryan/Chung  contributables...could make for a freak show in  the Secondary.  ^  Find a better Secondary on any team, and any season?  Just try (including NE w/ Harrison & Law?).  This is the best looiking 1 on paper, I can ever recall seeing...  < THAT, is a big boast.

[/QUOTE]

I can find plenty because this one hasn't played yet...don't get ahead of yourself Laz!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Revis, DMC, Browner, Arrington, Dennard/Ryan/Chung  contributables...could make for a freak show in  the Secondary.  ^  Find a better Secondary on any team, and any season?  Just try (including NE w/ Harrison & Law?).  This is the best looiking 1 on paper, I can ever recall seeing...  < THAT, is a big boast.

[/QUOTE]

I can find plenty because this one hasn't played yet...don't get ahead of yourself Laz!

[/QUOTE]

Agreed this secondary group needs to prove it 1st then we'll know

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

especially in the health dept.....this defense needs to be healthy ALL season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

Why do I say this?

Big season for him IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Like I said in the Chung thread, Whichever safeties are on the field....If they cant collectively cover half the field, then they need to be OUT the league...So, I DO expect a much improved secondary,,,,Does that lead to McCourty being ALL PRo? I Dont care and neither should anyone. As long as the D is collectively better, I dont care who gets individual accolades. Just gonna make it harder for him to sign.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[/QUOTE]

Agreed this secondary group needs to prove it 1st then we'll know

[/QUOTE]

Are you predicting great things for patsie bust Chung?

[/QUOTE]

~Ya guys can't just say, "I can find plenty"...without offering 1 up.  I know, they haven't played, but on paper, I can't conjure up a better Secondary, than what this may offer up in total personell:

Just find me a better looking collective that made it on to 1 team, than:  DMC, Revis, Browning, Dennard, Arrington, then Ryan and Chung.  ...that 1st 5 is just stvp!d capable.

SHOWING-

DMC as a Coverage 1 FS &/or Cover 2 FS, Chung as a pure "Rover" & or SS, Revis as a #1 CB &/or (and this has GOT to be just temptingly simple in its decadence- Revis as your #1 CB & DMC as your #2 CB <w/ a booka matches at Safety>), Browning as your #2 CB on the bigger possession WRs &/or 6'3 Browning on your pass-catching TE in some kind of a Big Nickel spread multi-receiver O threat, Dennard/Arrington/<then Ryan sub/injury> on either your #2 WR (with Browning on TE) &/or Dennard/Arrington/<then Ryan sub/injury> on your slot #3 WR.  Arrington has got a pretty good field vision reading ability and can make an field tackle <problems he's sorta had at times HAS been jamming that quicker slot WR>, So ya could even consider: DMC + Arrington as 2 sorta FS Total Safety complete package hybrids with Revis on your #1 WR, Dennard on your #2 WR <or slot>, and Browning on your #2 WR <or TE>.

^ Those are REALLY tough looks for any O to face off against in any passing game.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

what do you mean "due"?

Rusty says a lot of outrageous things on this board.  This is not one of them.  He said McCourty's rookie season was superior to Revis'.  Idk if that's true but it is certainly a more reasonable claim than the one that is attributed to him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

DMC was an all pro last season.  I suppose you mean 1st team in the OP, but 2nd team is nothing to sneeze at either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Wow, you're expecting a big improvement.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DMC was an all pro last season.  I suppose you mean 1st team in the OP, but 2nd team is nothing to sneeze at either.

[/QUOTE]

Yes I meant 1st team and he will get general recognition outside of NE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He didn't even go to the pro-bowl.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whats your point? He still made the 2013 all pro second team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Richard Sherman was 1st team all pro in 2012 despite not making the pro bowl.  Most players consider the all-pro teams to be a higher accolade.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Richard Sherman was 1st team all pro in 2012 despite not making the pro bowl.  Most players consider the all-pro teams to be a higher accolade.

[/QUOTE]

Unlike McCourty's 2nd team all-pro from one group of writers, the pro-bowl is 2/3rds determined by players and coaches.

If you want to consider the brief McCourty sighting in the post-season accolades as a ringing endorsement, that's nice. But I see it more as a statement of the lack of quality at the position in the AFC, and more of a "we had to pick somebody" kind of thing than an endorsement of his greatness.

The guy is no way in hell a f'n all-pro of any kind from anything I've ever seen an all-pro be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Nice point from the OP. The quality corners will definitely make like easier for DMac. Add in some DT and Pass Rushing help and it will be even easier...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Unlike McCourty's 2nd team all-pro from one group of writers, the pro-bowl is 2/3rds determined by players and coaches.

If you want to consider the brief McCourty sighting in the post-season accolades as a ringing endorsement, that's nice. But I see it more as a statement of the lack of quality at the position in the AFC, and more of a "we had to pick somebody" kind of thing than an endorsement of his greatness.

The guy is no way in hell a f'n all-pro of any kind from anything I've ever seen an all-pro be.

There are no AFC and NFC all pro teams.  It is for the entire NFL so your point about the AFC is meaningless.  I didn't see you making those kind of arguments about the pro bowl when Meriweather was making back to back ones in 2009 and 2010.  Most observers consider all pro to be more of an accolade than the pro bowl precisely because of the fan voting and the fact that players tend to vote for other players based on reputation.  You think Troy Polamalu still played at a pro bowl level last season?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

There are no AFC and NFC all pro teams.  It is for the entire NFL so your point about the AFC is meaningless.  I didn't see you making those kind of arguments about the pro bowl when Meriweather was making back to back ones in 2009 and 2010.  Most observers consider all pro to be more of an accolade than the pro bowl precisely because of the fan voting and the fact that players tend to vote for other players based on reputation.  You think Troy Polamalu still played at a pro bowl level last season?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not touting the pro-bowl at all. I'm just saying that having your name pop up on one of these post-season accolade lists doesn't mean much. If you hit on a bunch of them, sure, you're probably pretty good.

You're right on the NFC/AFC issue regarding all-pro. My bad. That would be more pertinent for the pro-bowl.

We can disagree. He doesn't show me much at S, but he is better than the wretched work he did at CB.