Devin McCourty due for an All-Pro Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: Devin McCourty due for an All-Pro Season

^ I offered up DMC's stat line in 4 years...It WAS more complete than Revis's rookie year.  1st year, I believe he was 2nd in ROTY.  He made the pro-bowl that year.  (not sure about all-pro).  Last year (3-4) he transitioned from #1 CB-FS because no other Safety worth really a roster spot anywhere else, existed on NEs team.  He made 2nd team ALL-Pro.

Now, HowInTH, does one say truthfully, "WOW, You're expecting a BIG Improvement."

Reasons like this that I there's actually still a big part of me that can't wait for DMC to sign an 80 mil contract and just tell NE to step off when it's time.  Still, so little respect for him from many "Pats Fans."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    I'm not touting the pro-bowl at all. I'm just saying that having your name pop up on one of these post-season accolade lists doesn't mean much. If you hit on a bunch of them, sure, you're probably pretty good.

You're right on the NFC/AFC issue regarding all-pro. My bad. That would be more pertinent for the pro-bowl.

We can disagree. He doesn't show me much at S, but he is better than the wretched work he did at CB.

[/QUOTE]

From eye test I agree that DMC isnt much at S but he gets this accolade and you know that isnt wrong he's a top 4 safety in the league according to people who know more than you or I.

DMC is due for a huge year where people, not just pats fans, say damn this kid is good

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    I'm not touting the pro-bowl at all. I'm just saying that having your name pop up on one of these post-season accolade lists doesn't mean much. If you hit on a bunch of them, sure, you're probably pretty good.

You're right on the NFC/AFC issue regarding all-pro. My bad. That would be more pertinent for the pro-bowl.

We can disagree. He doesn't show me much at S, but he is better than the wretched work he did at CB.

[/QUOTE]

From eye test I agree that DMC isnt much at S but he gets this accolade and you know that isnt wrong he's a top 4 safety in the league according to people who know more than you or I.

DMC is due for a huge year where people, not just pats fans, say damn this kid is good

[/QUOTE]

Not holding my breath on that.

He played well as a rookie. Not since.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well I hope he proves you wrong then.. I just think the talent at CB will help him a ton

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you are under selling DMC some. I think the kid is as smart as any safety in the league and is still learning. You want to rag on a Pats safety from last year I think it should be aimed at Gregory.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/06/2013-pff-all-pro-team/2/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

Why do I say this?

He is already considered to be a top tier safety in the league (debatable), and has had to play his entire career around, well to put it kindly, crap. Gregory, Chung, Arrington (on the outside), Meriweather, Butler, Sterling Moore, Cole to name some.

Now, the defensive backfield is loaded with talent. Revis, Browner, Dennard (in the slot where he will excel), Ryan, Arrington.

Before this McCourty had to cover overtop of average CBs and couldnt free lance and make plays on the ball.

Now, Revis shuts down half of the field. Browner when on a good matchup can shut down his side. Dennard can hold his own in the slot. That leaves a lot less responsibility for DMC and now he can go out and take more risks imo and we could see a lot more impact plays from him and he will get the national attention he deserves.

Big season for him IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Bruschi, Adrian Wilson and some others felt he was deserving of a Pro Bowl nod even if the Pro Bowl is meaningless.

He quietly had a very nice year.  I expect a big year from him with Revis and Browner in there, Ryan and Harmon 1 year deeper, etc.

This could easily be the best secondary in the AFC this year, obviously.  They had it going with Talib last year, but health compromised that notion a bit.

Bustchise is seething somewhere as his Jets look like utter morons by comparison. lmao

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Unlike McCourty's 2nd team all-pro from one group of writers, the pro-bowl is 2/3rds determined by players and coaches.

If you want to consider the brief McCourty sighting in the post-season accolades as a ringing endorsement, that's nice. But I see it more as a statement of the lack of quality at the position in the AFC, and more of a "we had to pick somebody" kind of thing than an endorsement of his greatness.

The guy is no way in hell a f'n all-pro of any kind from anything I've ever seen an all-pro be.

[/QUOTE]

There are no AFC and NFC all pro teams.  It is for the entire NFL so your point about the AFC is meaningless.  I didn't see you making those kind of arguments about the pro bowl when Meriweather was making back to back ones in 2009 and 2010.  Most observers consider all pro to be more of an accolade than the pro bowl precisely because of the fan voting and the fact that players tend to vote for other players based on reputation.  You think Troy Polamalu still played at a pro bowl level last season?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  It's like the baseball writers giving Jeter gold glove awards in recent years when is range sucked more and more.

Fans like Babe need ESPN to rave about a player for him to think a player is good or great on the Pats.

Keep in mind, Babe is a new, bandwagon fan from the dynasty era and gay for Brady.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well I hope he proves you wrong then.. I just think the talent at CB will help him a ton

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you should hold your breath....because no matter what-  he won't.  Why?  -Because.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

So just how good is DMC?  As a rookie he was sensational.  Somehow he lost his mojo after that.  He was susceptible to the double move and was beat repeatedly.  Point is, failed at CB.  As a FS, with the play in front of him, he seems adequate because he has good instincts and can get a jump on the ball.  However, by my eyes he still has flaws.  He plays waaaayyyyyy back in the secondary to keep everything in front of him.  He is an average tackler.  He is hands are weak, meaning he breaks up passes rather than catch them.  Now consider that Chung, a FS is back in the mix.  What about the article recently from Guregian that said Logan Ryan might get looks at FS? IMO the evil genius is at work again.  Maybe he'll put DMC at SS.  Maybe DMC will tutelage from Revis and go back to CB, anticipating the departure of Revis.  Or, maybe BB is preparing to let DMC walk.  He is a locker room leader and has intangibles,  but perhaps he's "good, not great".

By the way, by any measure, this offseason has been a huge success.  Lombardi, a trusted disciple, has obviously made a huge impact.  Since they have fixed some problem areas, it seems they are poised to target positions of need on draft day.  I think they know Gronk is coming along because they didn't make any moves for a TE.  Maybe Armstead is OK too since they didn't touch Ayers.  I suspect Svitek will be back for the minimum.  BB will go for a rushing DE, but it'll be someone late we've never heard of.  I think he's going to let all the TEs fall and pick whoever falls the farthest.  My guess is CJF.  He'll trade out of the first round for depth.  I also think he'll spend a 7th round pick on Vereen's brother.  I think they are going for it this year.  The Pats saw Denver get better and knew they had to keep pace.  Expect great things this year!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to user_4160947's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So just how good is DMC?  As a rookie he was sensational.  Somehow he lost his mojo after that.  He was susceptible to the double move and was beat repeatedly.  Point is, failed at CB.  As a FS, with the play in front of him, he seems adequate because he has good instincts and can get a jump on the ball.  However, by my eyes he still has flaws.  He plays waaaayyyyyy back in the secondary to keep everything in front of him.  He is an average tackler.  He is hands are weak, meaning he breaks up passes rather than catch them.  Now consider that Chung, a FS is back in the mix.  What about the article recently from Guregian that said Logan Ryan might get looks at FS? IMO the evil genius is at work again.  Maybe he'll put DMC at SS.  Maybe DMC will tutelage from Revis and go back to CB, anticipating the departure of Revis.  Or, maybe BB is preparing to let DMC walk.  He is a locker room leader and has intangibles,  but perhaps he's "good, not great".

By the way, by any measure, this offseason has been a huge success.  Lombardi, a trusted disciple, has obviously made a huge impact.  Since they have fixed some problem areas, it seems they are poised to target positions of need on draft day.  I think they know Gronk is coming along because they didn't make any moves for a TE.  Maybe Armstead is OK too since they didn't touch Ayers.  I suspect Svitek will be back for the minimum.  BB will go for a rushing DE, but it'll be someone late we've never heard of.  I think he's going to let all the TEs fall and pick whoever falls the farthest.  My guess is CJF.  He'll trade out of the first round for depth.  I also think he'll spend a 7th round pick on Vereen's brother.  I think they are going for it this year.  The Pats saw Denver get better and knew they had to keep pace.  Expect great things this year!  

[/QUOTE]

This is an interesting post, I share some of your criticisms for DMC but differ on some as well.  I think his hands are better than you give him credit for and, although I've seen him miss a tackle or two, I consider him to be an above average tackler. 

I think your draft analysis is pretty much on point.  Your TE draft analysis is of interest although BB may go after one in round 2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

^ I offered up DMC's stat line in 4 years...It WAS more complete than Revis's rookie year.  1st year, I believe he was 2nd in ROTY.  He made the pro-bowl that year.  (not sure about all-pro).  Last year (3-4) he transitioned from #1 CB-FS because no other Safety worth really a roster spot anywhere else, existed on NEs team.  He made 2nd team ALL-Pro.

Now, HowInTH, does one say truthfully, "WOW, You're expecting a BIG Improvement."

Reasons like this that I there's actually still a big part of me that can't wait for DMC to sign an 80 mil contract and just tell NE to step off when it's time.  Still, so little respect for him from many "Pats Fans."

[/QUOTE]

In your absence I posted DMC's stat line compared to other "top tier safeties". I believe Jarius Byrd had him in INT's but DMC lead in tackles, pass deflections and was 2nd in INT's over whatver the time frame was.

Profootballfocus.com slected DMC as the starting safety for their pro bowl over Earl Thomas( I value their opinion over the popularity contest pro bowl but whatever), saying DMC was the best saftey in the league last season. He lead the league in passes defensed by all safeties last year and was a major reason N.E vastly improved in giving up plays over 20 yards. 

He already is an All Pro, and coupled with Revis, Dennard(who I believe is our 2nd best CB nd will have a great year) Ryan, Arrington and Browner with Chung filling in SS depth behind Harmon or Browner I think this secondary will be elite.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Free Safety: Devin McCourty (NE)
    AP-mccourty-inset
    McCourty wound up with our highest grade of the year, with his work in coverage the real standout element of his game. He was a unanimous selection over Thomas who we love when things go well, but can’t ignore when he misses a tackle or takes a bad angle with his all active style. Others getting serious consideration included Eric Weddle and Will Hill.
    Second Team: Earl Thomas (SEA)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

what do you mean "due"?

Isn't he already better than Revis?

[/QUOTE]

Rusty says a lot of outrageous things on this board.  This is not one of them.  He said McCourty's rookie season was superior to Revis'.  Idk if that's true but it is certainly a more reasonable claim than the one that is attributed to him.

[/QUOTE]

Queenie spent years slagging Revis - which is funny and pathetic to begin with - and now that the "genius" signed him it's great fun watching him go into spin doctor mode and deny and twist all his previous nonsense...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I hope the entire defense has an All Pro season and I hope BB the drafts 6 future HOF'er this year.  We'll see how it plays out.

Sections
Shortcuts