Devin McCourty Facemask Touchdown

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

Devin McCourty Facemask Touchdown

Did anyone else notice that the Ravens touchdown by Torrey Smith that he grabbed MC's facemask and pulled him by his head into the endzone.

The play had to be reviewed, and I was really suprised that there was no call for a facemask.

See the NFL.com highlight video at 1:20 or look at your copy of the game which had a MUCH better shot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Devin McCourty Facemask Touchdown

In Response to Devin McCourty Facemask Touchdown:
    Did anyone else notice that the Ravens touchdown by Torrey Smith that he grabbed MC's facemask and pulled him by his head into the endzone. The play had to be reviewed, and I was really suprised that there was no call for a facemask. See the NFL.com highlight video at 1:20 or look at your copy of the game which had a MUCH better shot. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d826386fe/Ravens-vs-Patriots-highlights?module=HP11_hot_topics
    Posted by Peduncle72

It was clearly a facemask, that was missed on the field. Can't call a penalty during a review.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Some people will single out the missed field goal and say we might have gotten lucky.  They will forget about plays such as this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

NY-PATS thanks for the explination, I guess I knew that... but wasnt absolutely sure. Even so, it was an amazingly blaitant facemask right in front of a line judge...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty Facemask Touchdown:
    Some people will single out the missed field goal and say we might have gotten lucky.  They will forget about plays such as this.
    Posted by carawaydj

I'm surprised Vince still had a shirt at the end of the game. He had the Ravens O line hanging on to it the whole game. At least the refs were consistant in not calling anything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Devin McCourty Facemask Touchdown:
    Did anyone else notice that the Ravens touchdown by Torrey Smith that he grabbed MC's facemask and pulled him by his head into the endzone. The play had to be reviewed, and I was really suprised that there was no call for a facemask. See the NFL.com highlight video at 1:20 or look at your copy of the game which had a MUCH better shot. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d826386fe/Ravens-vs-Patriots-highlights?module=HP11_hot_topics
    Posted by Peduncle72

my son was so upset it was not called.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I was so intent on looking to see if his foot went out of bounds that  I didn't notice the facemask.

After looking at it again, I couldn't believe I missed it.

Smith had a firm hold of his mask for a good five yards all the way into the endzone.

WOW!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddyd08. Show Eddyd08's posts

the scarry part was that he brought Devind down with him. Imagin if Devin had fallen at an angle and broken anything. woudl the refs said anything? NOPE.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

That was one of my 'scream-at-the-screen' moments.  About as blatant as they come.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaxxon. Show Jaxxon's posts

I really can't imagine how the ref missed that -- it went on for about 5-6 yards and well over 2 seconds...  He must have been looking at his feet or was blocked from view....

But that was amazing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

There was no flag because that isn't a penelty... 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by mikec645

Well, it could be called illegal hands to the face which is called against OLmen all the time. Typically if it's incidental or they don't grab the facemask it's never called but an O player isn't allowed to grab the face mask, that is a penalty

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I think we need to cut the ref some slack (especially since we won).  There is no set of human eyes that can simultaneously watch the feet (for out of bounds), the ball (for possession), and the rest of the body (for penalties).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty Facemask Touchdown : Well, it could be called illegal hands to the face which is called against OLmen all the time. Typically if it's incidental or they don't grab the facemask it's never called but an O player isn't allowed to grab the face mask, that is a penalty
    Posted by PatsEng

A stiffarm can be used against the helmet. You aren't supposed to pull on the facemask though but it is often overlooked. This one was blatant and dangerous, but likely missed by the ref as he was watching the feet.

A lot of people missed this, myself included, even on the replay because we were focused on the feet as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Guys,
    The refs never call anything like this on an offensive player that has the ball in his hands. We've seen all season blatant facemasks, hands to the face, etc. It's simply looked at as a stiff arm regardless of where the contact is made.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Guys, The refs never call anything like this on an offensive player that has the ball in his hands. We've seen all season blatant facemasks, hands to the face, etc. It's simply looked at as a stiff arm regardless of where the contact is made.
    Posted by PatsLifer

There were actually a few fines this year for stiffarms that became facemasks. I remember Ray Rice was fined pretty early in the season.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

Well, to me it clearly looked like MC was jerked around and pulled a bit, which is NOT the intent of a stiff arm...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

If we had that penalty, they would have assesed it at the line of scrimmage no? 5ish pass/air yards plus the 25 or so YAC would have with a 15 yard flag would have put them back at about the pats 45 yard line and probably forced a punt since it was 3rd and 3. Would have totally changed the game. Would not have even been close.

I guess my point here is that we won with things going against us. 

Penalties just didnt seem to get called, I was starting to question the definition of holding as our D line just couldnt get a call in spite of blatant holding.

I thought we were going to have a blowout on our hands for this game, no disrespect to the ravens, but I HONESTLY thought we had it by 2 touchdowns at least. We were just so bad, coupled with things like the above mentioned penalty calling and we just barely sqeaked into the superbowl.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Posted by mikec645

If its committed against a defender, its illegal hands to the face.

I also noticed our Dlinemen being held constantly, several times actually being put in headlocks by defenders. I'm generally in favor of refs keeping their flags in their pockets for minor BS but, come on, there's limits!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

How else were the Ravens going to make these slow defensive backs look like they could stay close on their coverage? He had to drag him along to make him keep up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Heres the ruling according to offficial  NFL Rulebook :

A.R. 12.86 FACEMASK—BY AND AGAINST RUNNER

First-and-10 on A45. Quarterback A1 hands off to A2, who runs around right end to the B30. During the
    advance, A2 grabs defender B1 by the facemask at the B35, wrapping his fingers around the mask, and
    a) twists it; or b) controls the tackler’s head, but releases it before he turns or twists the facemask. B1
    also grabs and releases A2’s facemask at the B30 during the tackle (no pulling or twisting).
    Rulings: a) First-and-5 on 50. Enforcement is from the spot of the foul. (12-2-5)
    b) First-and-10 on B30. There is no foul for incidental grasping and release of the facemask,
    without twisting, turning, or pulling of the mask. (12-2-5)

So...

It should have been a 15 yard penalty enforced at the spot of the foul because T Smith never released McCourty's face mask ( and also pulled on it as he lunged for the endzone )

Here's a link to NFL RULEBOOK :

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/26_2011_Official_CaseBook.pdf

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

yes yes yes yes he did... 

I also thought Smith stepped out of bounds.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Sections
Shortcuts