Devin McCourty worth it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Re: Devin McCourty worth it?

he is worth it, your hearing more about the seconds and the thirds becasue people on this board valued OLB and WR higher than BB did...

Not that i disagree as i was shocked with the CB pick up as well.

The kids is playing on the left and the right in an interchangeable fashion with Butler and Bodden.

Wilhite and Wheatley are no where to be found... I hear more about Arrington playing the Nickel then i do them two...

Bottom line if you are not hearing anything about McCourty you must not be reading the PFW blog enough.

the kid is being thrown into the fire in a sink or swim fashion and for the most part he is lloking very good against our WR's with the exception of Moss...

I will say that Tate and Price have beaten McCourty one too many times but they have beaten Butler and Bodden too and I think the young WR on this team are a lot better than anyone originally anticipated.... hence the reason why Patten is retired and Holt will be cut.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Trolls

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i doubt holt will be cut. he will stay for vet leadership and sure hands/crisp route running for 1st downs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

It's been a week, and none of the first-year players looks ready for the Hall of Fame.  Clearly another bad draft year for the Patriots.  They should probably just cut everyone now. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Holt won't be cut. The difference between what the rookie WR's are doing against our CB's and what the other teams will bring is entirely opposite from each other. Holt has the experience too adjust to what the defenders are doing too defend the WR's. So my opinion would be that Holt stays.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty worth it?:
    In Response to Re: Devin McCourty worth it? : Calm down you blathering idiot, all he did was ask a question.
    Posted by Celtics12345

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty worth it? : Calm down you blathering idiot, all he did was ask a question.
    Posted by Celtics12345

Go to fullsize image

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The lowest I heard round I heard McCourty was set to go was as an early second. He's an all-around talent and can play all four downs excellently. He doesn't have great college numbers because he was rarely ever tested. Whenever teams saw 21 of Rutgers they threw the other way. 

"Pundits" were shocked Belichick picked him up because we have a glaring need at OLB and Jerry Hughes was still on the board. And for the record, I'm not at these camps, but if Butler and Price are beating their CB they are more than likely beat Bodden. 

Moss plays RWR against the LCB (Butler) while Tate, Price and Holt play against the RCB(Bodden). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

We do not need veteran assets on the O this year we have a ton of them

The whole O has 4 plus years with exception to Fred Taylor, the TE and Volmer...

I think Brady, Moss, Welker, Light, Koppen, Neal, Faulk, Morris as well as the quality cast of second year players is sufficent in the VET arena.

Why hold the young men down by dividing there reps and giving them to Holt when he is a rental on his last tour????

Save the roster spot for a need like a surplus of OLBs who man be on the scrap heap after the fourth pre season game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I would say yes.

From all the blogs (and I read them all!), it looks like Devin is pushing Butler for playing time. Good for a rookie CB at training camp.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

When the nickel was used in practices, McCourty played cornerback and Butler played the slot receiver.  This may simply be to make things easier for McCourty, learning just one position.  However, a month ago conventional wisdom was that McCourty would start out at nickelback, not at cornerback.   

When a #27 pick starts right off the bat in September, he's usually worth it.  I think McCourty is pushing a rather improved player, Butler, aside in order to start at corner. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

It will be interesting to see how he lturns out in sept!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Either way Butler and McCourty are the future and bodden is stability

I read that Wheatley is playing very well but he has not got the reps with the first and second team yet...

It is too bad that they already gave up on him... i mean he lost the spot on his own accord due to pour play last year but what a waist of a second round pick!

Hopefully he catches on this year and contributes

I am sorry but Pioli's last draft is horrible he did not hit on one of them... the only good we got was Mayo and Guyton

the last to drafts have been much better

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Maybe with a little more offseason work with his other receivers those long passes to other receivers would have panned out. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotway. Show Patriotway's posts

I would keep Holt and carry 6 receivers. This team needs more guys with a solid presence in the locker room.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Pretty early to call him a failure.  Pretty early to call him ANYTHING.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Maybe with a little more offseason work with his other receivers those long passes to other receivers would have panned out. 
    Posted by underdoggggg

Maybe with a little more offseason work, Peyton Manning would not have thrown a Super Bowl losing interception. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Let's see, we're how many days into training camp and the kid isn't showing that he's a shutdown corner?  Cut him immediately!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Total bust and failure. You act like you have play games or something before evaluating draft picks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Devin McCourty worth it?:
    Does Devin McCourty have 1st round talent? Not much talk or excitment about him. I hear more about our 2nd and 3rd round rookies.
    Posted by NEforever

A week into camp and you're questioning whether he's "worth it"?

Is this a joke?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Posted by underdoggggg

and perhaps they wouldn't have panned out, no one knows.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Special Teams, blocked 7 kicks in college.  Can't remember too many blocks other then Seymour over the past 5 years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

I think he will be fine.  It is a pass-happy league and corner talent and depth is very important.  Still, I sympathize with those Pats fans who wanted a beast OLB;  I would have liked Jerry Hughes of TCU, whom the Colts scooped up.

Sections
Shortcuts